The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+25
Dixon Cox
mtz4life
Mongrel
Big Dave
The Ghost of FD
Hubijerk
BBQpig
SoonerBS
Player
msal13
californiataxes
FreakOfNature
Dirtsquirrel
Fluffy
Poe4soul
jmtbkr
12pierogi
Horseballs
Kiwigolfer
jetdriver
Lord Helmet
Golfaholic
JonT
Olderplayer
Lorenzzo
29 posters

Club Ho'ing

Pky6471
    Pky6471

Club Ho'ing  - Page 8 Empty Re: Club Ho'ing

Post  Pky6471 Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:42 am

Poe4soul wrote:According to the Tom Harding's One Plane Swing, across the line is favorable for a two plan (more upright swing), and short of the line for a one plane swing (flat swing). I think your shaft position at the top is text book according to him.

I believe there is NO such thing as "perfect" swing... Just like women... There is NO perfect women, find a perfect woman for us
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:53 pm

Pky6471 wrote:
    Poe4soul wrote:According to the Tom Harding's One Plane Swing, across the line is favorable for a two plane (more upright swing), and short of the line for a one plane swing (flat swing). I think your shaft position at the top is text book according to him.

I believe there is NO such thing as "perfect" swing... Just like women... There is NO perfect women, find a perfect woman for us

I glad you believe that, good to know.

BTW - Who said anything about a "perfect" swing. The simple fact that he describes in detail two models of a delivering the club means he doesn't believe in a perfect swing. Obviously there are good and bad moves to make in the golf swing. That is basically what his book is about but be classifies them as either one plane of two plane.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:55 pm

All this crap about 'the swing' is beginning to sound alot like a Larry thread What a Face
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:04 pm

Pky6471 wrote:
    Poe4soul wrote:According to the Tom Harding's One Plane Swing, across the line is favorable for a two plan (more upright swing), and short of the line for a one plane swing (flat swing). I think your shaft position at the top is text book according to him.

A fat, snaggle-toothed old lady with a yeast infection is ugly for everyone. An over the top, casting, out of balance swing is a bad swing for everyone.

Each good swing isn't going to do everything the same, but each good swing is going to a lot of same things.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:29 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    Pky6471 wrote:

A fat, snaggle-toothed old lady with a yeast infection is ugly for everyone. An over the top, casting, out of balance swing is a bad swing for everyone.

Each good swing isn't going to do everything the same, but each good swing is going to a lot of same things.

Some would know the old lady you describe as "Mom". Some would consider the swing you describe made by one with adequate disposable income as "Golden Opportunities". Those would be teaching pros like Kevin at the Del Mar Driving Range.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:31 pm

Pky6471 wrote:

I thought Rosie Palm was considered perfect, tight, loose, ready when you are, great in the shower. No prenuptial needed. Where's Lorenzo?
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:06 pm

12pierogi wrote:
    Pky6471 wrote:

I thought Rosie Palm was considered perfect, tight, loose, ready when you are, great in the shower. No prenuptial needed. Where's Lorenzo?
    Lorenzo spotted recently over at the other place. If your shaft is long enough and the lie is upright, you can enlist Rosie's sister and have a three-some.
    FreakOfNature
    FreakOfNature

Post  FreakOfNature Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:04 am

FamousDavis wrote:I have Dynamic Golf S300 in the MP-32s. That shaft is too stiff for me with some irons but with the MP-32 it feels perfect. FON is correct about the trajectory comment. It's been difficult for me to find a set of irons that provides the right trajectory with the longer irons. Most of the sets I've tried have long irons that tend to balloon.

My ball flight of late is lower than in the past because I've made a significant swing change. I'm hinging my wrists much earlier than before and I've shortened my backswing. I am making a conscious effort not to lay off the club on the backswing and to keep it on plane. I've attached a photo of my swing at the top of the backswing. I was hitting it extremely well during this range session. As you can see, the course is all torn up. Great layout, horrible condition.

The MP-32s are staying in the bag for now. I have never hit a better club in terms of feel and performance.

Oh, one more thing. During that same range session I let my buddy try the MP-32 and he was hitting it great. He currently has Taylormade Superlaunch irons in the bag. He's about a 15 handicap and I've convinced him to get a set of MP-60's or something similar. It will be interesting to watch the game of a 15 handicapper who switches to forged CBs or blades. [img]Club Ho'ing  - Page 8 Z_golf11[/img]

I'm liking that backswing position over the old one. That's a LOT better FD. I know I was one of the guys on GR who used to get on you about laying the club off at the top of your backswing, and it's nice to see that you're getting good results with that modification.

By getting your club on plane the way you have, you're swinging along a much more natural, repeatable path - don't you find? It gets so much easier to make consistent contact and to really create some power when everything gets working on plane.

It's like turning 30 all over again. Wink
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:01 pm

FreakOfNature wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:I have Dynamic Golf S300 in the MP-32s. That shaft is too stiff for me with some irons but with the MP-32 it feels perfect. FON is correct about the trajectory comment. It's been difficult for me to find a set of irons that provides the right trajectory with the longer irons. Most of the sets I've tried have long irons that tend to balloon.

My ball flight of late is lower than in the past because I've made a significant swing change. I'm hinging my wrists much earlier than before and I've shortened my backswing. I am making a conscious effort not to lay off the club on the backswing and to keep it on plane. I've attached a photo of my swing at the top of the backswing. I was hitting it extremely well during this range session. As you can see, the course is all torn up. Great layout, horrible condition.

The MP-32s are staying in the bag for now. I have never hit a better club in terms of feel and performance.

Oh, one more thing. During that same range session I let my buddy try the MP-32 and he was hitting it great. He currently has Taylormade Superlaunch irons in the bag. He's about a 15 handicap and I've convinced him to get a set of MP-60's or something similar. It will be interesting to watch the game of a 15 handicapper who switches to forged CBs or blades. [img]Club Ho'ing  - Page 8 Z_golf11[/img]

I'm liking that backswing position over the old one. That's a LOT better FD. I know I was one of the guys on GR who used to get on you about laying the club off at the top of your backswing, and it's nice to see that you're getting good results with that modification.

By getting your club on plane the way you have, you're swinging along a much more natural, repeatable path - don't you find? It gets so much easier to make consistent contact and to really create some power when everything gets working on plane.

Well, you are partially correct. The problem I had before (and still have) is laying off the club during the middle of my backswing and then correcting it and bringing it up into the proper position. I don't think the top of my backswing looks much different but I'm definitely not taking it so far inside any longer.

But, you are absolutely correct about having an epiphany and feeling like I've discovered gold. That's what makes golf so fascinating. I'm standing on the range the other day thinking "I can't believe I never tried this before and that it's taken me 30 years to figure this out".

Two things I'm doing now. I'm keeping my hands closer to my body on the backswing and hinging my wrists earlier so that at the halfway point, my wrists are cocked. This keeps me from laying the club off. The result is an increase in distance and solid strikes.

I'm hitting my wedges much better. No longer do I fear the skulled shot or the weak shot that slightly fades right and ends up 10 yards short.

Here's a video of what I'm working on:

Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:29 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    FreakOfNature wrote:

Well, you are partially correct. The problem I had before (and still have) is laying off the club during the middle of my backswing and then correcting it and bringing it up into the proper position. I don't think the top of my backswing looks much different but I'm definitely not taking it so far inside any longer.

But, you are absolutely correct about having an epiphany and feeling like I've discovered gold. That's what makes golf so fascinating. I'm standing on the range the other day thinking "I can't believe I never tried this before and that it's taken me 30 years to figure this out".

Two things I'm doing now. I'm keeping my hands closer to my body on the backswing and hinging my wrists earlier so that at the halfway point, my wrists are cocked. This keeps me from laying the club off. The result is an increase in distance and solid strikes.

I'm hitting my wedges much better. No longer do I fear the skulled shot or the weak shot that slightly fades right and ends up 10 yards short.

When I see that swing, I see Jeff Sluman. That's not a bad thing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1LtCJZBPEo
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:19 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    FreakOfNature wrote:

I think it's more like Ben Crenshaw. He and I are the same height and we are both very athletic with muscular forearms. I also possess the putting touch he had when he won his two Masters. Naturally, I'm better than he is now.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:21 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    FreakOfNature wrote:

I think it's more like Ben Crenshaw. He and I are the same height and we are both very athletic with muscular forearms. I also possess the putting touch he had when he won his two Masters. Naturally, I'm better than he is now.

But you ain't got that the ghost of that scrawny little squeaky-voiced Texan who wrote the little Red Book looking over your shoulder on th4 18th green of a certain course in Augusta, Georgia USA.
    Olderplayer
    Olderplayer

Post  Olderplayer Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:35 am

Just checked back in to give a report on my new Miura irons. I have played 3 rounds and had 2 range sessions with these irons. These are a reasonably obscure model, the mc-101. They are stamped miura international model. I'm guessing they were a miura giken design that was released for retail in the West. They were the predecessor of the more common mc-102. I got a pretty good buy on these considering they are in 9/10 condition. (paid $400).
    Go to say straight away these are pretty sweet irons. A cb with a tall face in the short irons and a little offset. The finish is high quality and the satin chrome plate is very nice as with all Miura irons I have seen. Nice players profile in terms of sole and topline. These have TT TX 90 stiff shafts which I have used before and like a lot. This head and shaft combo has produced a great feeling iron. In fact of the 3 miura sets I have owned these feel the sweetest by far. They are soft, solid and crisp all at the same time. Extremely impressed by the feel of these and are just about top of the tree of all the irons I have played.
    These look good at address, although the tall face and offset looks a little different, it is not offensive in any way.
    Performance wise after the feel the first thing you notice is the forgiveness. They play like a GI iron except perhaps for thin shots; the toe hits are penalized very little. A GI performance with a player profile and the feel of a sweet forged cb. Just about the perfect package for me and I suspect many players. I am still getting used to them and my swing is not great atm but I have already hit some very pleasing shots with these. On the range when warmed up I hit about six 3 irons in a row and 3 of the shots were some of the best 3 irons I have ever hit! Shape, flight and distance were all exceptional. When I hit a 3 iron like that it tells me that a set is going to be very very good for my game.
    These don't balloon like a GI iron; the trajectory is perfect. Workability is no problem with these. I have been able to hit draws and punches no problem.
    These are the first Miura irons that have lived up to the hype for me. They certainly are keepers and I am very pleased I managed to snag them.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:00 pm

Op might have have played these. I purchased a set of Cobra S3 pro combo irons.
    Kind of a mish mosh, but I'll see how this works. Cavity back 3-6 muscle back 7-pw.
    The 7-pw is shafted with KBS tour stiff, 5-6 is KBS tour regular. 3-4 have True temper Monaco shafts. Some kind of limited release shafts, only a 1,000 sets made, that come in a copper like finish. Supposedly a very soft iron, that looks gorgeous. Isn't Cobra an American owned company? Should have them next week. Supposedly 8 rounds of play, they look very nice. A slightly wide sole, but not to bad. I'm pumped.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Club Ho'ing  - Page 8 Empty Nike VR-S Covert Driver in Simulator

Post  FamousDavis Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:52 pm

One of my golfing buddies and I tried out a demo Nike VR-S Covert Driver set at 9.5 degrees. I feel a little ashamed at failing to take note of the shaft so all I can say is that it was stiff flex. Anyway, he was hitting it in the 280+ range and one went 291. My drives, on the other hand, we're only going about 260, which is strange considering I usually outdrive him on the course.

Regardless, I have to say it's a nice looking driver with good feel. I'm not sure what the cc measurement is but it appeared smaller than other drivers.

I hit the new Taylormade RBZ driver and didn't like it.

Next, I hit the Ping Anser driver in 8.5 with the stock Tour shaft in stiff flex. Awesome. I hit one 286 and a few others right around 280. Nice looking driver but the price tag is too high at $399.
    Olderplayer
    Olderplayer

Post  Olderplayer Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:59 am

12pierogi wrote:Op might have have played these. I purchased a set of Cobra S3 pro combo irons.
    Kind of a mish mosh, but I'll see how this works. Cavity back 3-6 muscle back 7-pw.
    The 7-pw is shafted with KBS tour stiff, 5-6 is KBS tour regular. 3-4 have True temper Monaco shafts. Some kind of limited release shafts, only a 1,000 sets made, that come in a copper like finish. Supposedly a very soft iron, that looks gorgeous. Isn't Cobra an American owned company? Should have them next week. Supposedly 8 rounds of play, they look very nice. A slightly wide sole, but not to bad. I'm pumped.

Well done!! Great set of irons. You are right I do have a set. They are a great iron. Great soft feel and quite forgiving in the longer irons. Quite a compact head but play a lot easier than they look. The 7 to pw bladed irons perform particularly well. Mine have r300 shafts which are hard to find in this model.
    You will enjoy them I'm sure. You are starting to get a nice collection of quality forgings.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:47 am

Olderplayer wrote:
    12pierogi wrote:Op might have have played these. I purchased a set of Cobra S3 pro combo irons.

Well done!! Great set of irons. You are right I do have a set. They are a great iron. Great soft feel and quite forgiving in the longer irons. Quite a compact head but play a lot easier than they look. The 7 to pw bladed irons perform particularly well. Mine have r300 shafts which are hard to find in this model.
    You will enjoy them I'm sure. You are starting to get a nice collection of quality forgings.

I thought you had a set, I remember you liked them, and FD mentioned some kind of Cobra I should try. I wasn't sure what mix of cb or mb you had, I understand Cobra will sell them in any mix you need or want. I guess mine are a half and half combo. I may have to do something with the shafts, though I will try them as is. I hear KBS shafts play a little soft, or more like a dg shaft , which I have no problem with stiff usually in the shorter irons. So this confusing shaft setup might actually work for me. 300 delivered I made a best offer, and the seller jumped on it. I figured I couldn't lose.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:41 am

Olderplayer wrote:

Well done!! Great set of irons. You are right I do have a set. They are a great iron. You are starting to get a nice collection of quality forgings.

You no Op we are certified. I have to get my wife's iPhone and delete the emails were I sold and bought me gold. I sold a becu red dot lob wedge eye sore 2 plus a driver, and the revo red dots are getting some interest, and a couple other clubs.

I guess as long I'm selling a few things I really have no need for, like a lob wedge that I sold in a day for huge profit. Like I already sold the orange dot set that some moron had a red dot in, and didn't tell me. I still made a 100 on the set plus I sold the lob wedge and I have a mint 2 iron zz lite shaft and all. So far so good. I still want a wall hanger set of something though, kind of like jewelry or steel art.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:48 am

I'm drinking my coffee, actually a cappuccino, kind of a sucky one as I'm out of fresh roasted coffee. So it's 8 o'clock whole bean crap my wife buys, Colombian that must be from the batch for us export. Yuk
    I'm staring at the mp 62 in my bag. just one of the prettiest clubs ever.
    It's 58 already I think I'll sneak out and walk 9 today before the hawk blows back in.
    I'm looking at some Vega irons, the car kind of sucked unless you had a Cosworth model or a v8 stuffed in it. Made great drag cars, power to weight ratio baby.
    I keep looking at VIP MacGregor sets they are a piece of art, imo, it's amazing they don't fetch more money.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:30 pm

Well the man in brown just delivered my Cobra s3 pro combo set. Unbelievable stunning satin finish, very compact head, a joy to hit, as I just hit some in the backyard. I like these KBS tour shafts. Nice thin topline, some kind of orange lamkin grips R.E.L 3 gen. I can't believe Cobra makes a club this nice. Mine check out 2 degrees flat, and one degree strong. Just about perfect.
    JonT
    JonT

Post  JonT Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:03 pm

Must be the planets aligned for Cobra this month; I just received a set of Cobra SS Forged that are near new condition; original Cobra grips (still soft), R300 shafts, and flawless chrome. Some of the clubs appear unhit; guy must have died after the first few holes using them. I can see no other reason how these survived in this condition being a club from 2002.

I got interested in finding a set of these after having a set of the SSi cast clubs for a brief time last summer (bought and sold for a profit). I loved the sole grind (K-grind?) on them; great turf interaction for me, and had a eagle on a par 4 with the 5 iron from the set (while peppering the flag with the other clubs) the one round I used them (yes, putting sucked)...regretted selling them (familiar ho' line?), which started the search for the forged SS earlier versions (read they are forged by Endo?). Maybe our resident club expert(s) can provide further information.

The SS Forged appear to be rare as hens teeth in any kind of decent condition; most of the few sets I have seen have been well used to put it politely. Finding a set like this, with the shafts I prefer to boot, has to be near the top of scores for me. Pics later.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:05 pm

OK, you got me interested enough to search around a bit and I saw pix of that iron and the sole grind which looks sort of like an exagerated Mizuno MX sole on my MX 20's and on my new used set of Cobra FP's. I wonder how this sole is off tight lies and out of wet thick rough. I think these might be on my radar.
    JonT
    JonT

Post  JonT Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:25 pm

Mostly German wrote:OK, you got me interested enough to search around a bit and I saw pix of that iron and the sole grind which looks sort of like an exagerated Mizuno MX sole on my MX 20's and on my new used set of Cobra FP's. I wonder how this sole is off tight lies and out of wet thick rough. I think these might be on my radar.

Not familiar with the MX 20 grind. or the FP's; I would call it a 3 way grind with a killed/beveled front edge, a heel relief, and a narrow sole following the beveled edge. I'll try to get a picture of it.

From my brief experience with the cast SSi's I mentioned, it works wonderfully out of most any kind of lie; that's what got me looking for them in the forged version.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:04 pm

There are some sets on Ebay and some good closeups of the soles that I zoomed in on. It appears that there is a lot of heel and toe relief and the sole right under the sweet spots is level for just about the width of the sweet spots. I had a set of Top Flite Tour cast cavity backs that had similar soles and I liked them although that was long before I got into my own clubmaking and the shafts were not right for me. That grind should be very good if you strike the ball more or less conter-face regularly.
    JonT
    JonT

Club Ho'ing  - Page 8 Empty Cobra SS Forged

Post  JonT Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:07 pm

[img]Club Ho'ing  - Page 8 2013_0130CobraSSForged0002_zps26b5a139-1_zpsa8ccaed8[/img]
    The MP30's that I scored last year weren't this nice.

Club Ho'ing  - Page 8 2013_0130CobraSSForged0003_zpsa941e07b-1_zpsab9185d4
    Ready to get rubbed up.

Club Ho'ing  - Page 8 2013_0130CobraSSForged0026_zpsf21a966e-1_zpsf79fd111
    3way sole; not a good picture but you get the idea.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 7:39 am