The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

Club Ho'ing

jmtbkr

Re: Club Ho'ing

Post  jmtbkr on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:04 pm

Geez....all this talk about different shafts and stuff along with the general drift that blades are for the better player and are harder to hit....I'm now up in the air as to a new set this spring.
    Bad enough I passed up a real cheap deal on those mp63's, but better blades are going to cost a small fortune and them I don't know if they'll be for me out on the course.

Any thoughts on a good deal on forged irons for a 12 index?
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:16 pm

When I saw the first ad for those new Taylor irons, I thought that the name should be pronounced like "Valdez". Like Juan or Exxon. So it would be the "Taylormade Rocket Blah dez". My immediate thought when seeing that spelling was that the company was targeting Hispanics. Sort of like Cadillac making that SUV and calling it "Escalade", targeting Black Folk. If Taylor wanted to target them with those new irons, they should spell it "Blaydzz".
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:20 pm

jmtbkr wrote:Geez....all this talk about different shafts and stuff along with the general drift that blades are for the better player and are harder to hit....I'm now up in the air as to a new set this spring.
    Bad enough I passed up a real cheap deal on those mp63's, but better blades are going to cost a small fortune and them I don't know if they'll be for me out on the course.

Cheap forged thrills for 12 'capper:

Mizuno MX series-- 20's, 23's, 25's, 200's, 300's. Soft forged feel with a good bit of offset that may be off-putting. I bought a set of MX 20's and pulled the steel Dynalight Golds and put graphite shafts in them. They hit pretty good but the offset has gotten to me a bit as I work on tightening up my swing.

Titleist 755's--stainless steel forgings that are not real soft but are not hard to hit and go pretty straight. You need the right flex and weight shaft for you. I had a set and re-shafted them with 97 gram Dynalite Gold SL S300's. I liked them a good bit but ended up pulling and saving the shafts and selling the heads on Ebay. Wished I still had the heads. Should be really nice with some graphite shafts.
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 pm

jmtbkr wrote:Geez....all this talk about different shafts and stuff along with the general drift that blades are for the better player and are harder to hit....I'm now up in the air as to a new set this spring.

There are a ton of clubs for that range. It depends on you and your swing. All of us have different swings and feel different things in clubs. Mizzy, Adams, Ping, Titty's, Cobra, etc all have good clubs for a 12 capper. Throw us a bone. What clubs to you like and dislike and why? How do you hit the ball? What is a typical miss?
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:33 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    Poe4soul wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:I think Poe is being argumentative. The Ping S59 would be considered a blade by anyone who knows anything about today's club offerings. What the definition of "blade" means today is of course much different than what it meant 20 or 30 years ago. In the early 80's, just about every clubmaker out there had blades that were tiny and had a dime-sized sweetspot. Today, those types of irons basically no longer exist. Blades today are defined as the MP-32, RBZ Blades (which is truly a joke), Adams CBM and, of course, the gay blades you'll find in San Francisco.

So, all things considered, the Ping S59 definitely fits well within the subcategory currently referred to as "blades", simply because they have the same size, offset, loft and head shape as other clubs that are known as blades.

For further proof, look at putters today that are referred to as "blades". Now, a putter like the Ping Anser is in the category of "blades". 20 years ago, only a putter with a heel to toe design such as the Wilson 8802 or Nicklaus VIP would be considered a blade.

Ah, the slippery slope. Just because some golf company's marketing calls a club a "blade" to stroke your ego, doesn't make it so. S series are truly a players cavity back, but they are not blades. I'm not being argumentative; it's a fact and for you point out Taylormade's RBZ is a referred to as a blade is supporting evidence. Taylormade is one of the biggest marketing machines in the business. The RBZ is not a blade by any stretch of the imagination. Just like Ping is one of the biggest game improvement club marker in the business. If you believe what you've posted, you're a pawn.

So, if you call these clubs blades, what do you call true blade style clubs? Butter knifes?

How did you know I call true blades "butter knives"?

I was at the golf store the other day and tried out the Rocketbalz Bladez 7 iron with the stock stiff steel shaft in the simulator. Here are my thoughts on this iron:

[list][*] First of all, this club is the size of a GI iron. It has some offset and in now way resembles a blade. In fact, I'd say it's kind of bulky looking.

Feel: Absolutely horrible. Not as horrible as the regular RBZ irons but close. Harsh feeling with no idea where I hit it on the clubface.

Club: The length of the club is 1/2 inch longer than today's standard-length 7 iron. I can tell when I ground the club that it feels different because of the added length.

Distance: Naturally, it hits the ball longer than normal because a) the shaft is 1/2 inch longer and b) the loft of the 7 iron is probably more like that of a 6 iron.

All in all I thought it was a horrible club. Ugly, bulky looking and it felt terrible. Distance was good.

I don't know why but I don't care for TM's irons. I've tried to like them but the results with any of them aren't as good as others. I've almost stopped trying them.

BTW - I like the S59 but I wish it had a bit more audible feel. The sound is muted and thus the feel is off for me. Same as the AP's from Titleist. I guess I'm used to hearing a shot and when it sounds dead but the ball was struck well. I almost bought both lines but couldn't go through with it.
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:41 pm

Poe4soul wrote:

There are a ton of clubs for that range. It depends on you and your swing. All of us have different swings and feel different things in clubs. Mizzy, Adams, Ping, Titty's, Cobra, etc all have good clubs for a 12 capper. Throw us a bone. What clubs to you like and dislike and why? How do you hit the ball? What is a typical miss?
    Well,I'm looking for a 3 season set for Long Island. I have a beautiful set of X20's in Florida, for when I shoot down there during the cold spells here.
    Up here, I'm hitting Adams V3 hybrid irons. Got the set used for $100.
    I've been told i have a very nice swing, just need to work more on my timing. My irons tend to pull to the left side of the greens, so I wind up aiming a bit right. All my irons are steel shafts, in stiff flex. I seem to get better control with them. Yeah, I may give up a few yards, but it's better than hooking/slicing. My driver/fairway/hybrid play is dead straight.
    I tried the Ping S56 at GS and thought they were amazing. Waaaay too much $$$, IMO. I was suggested i20's, as a less expensive alternative. I've also hit AP2's. A bit harsh. I've hit Mizzy's a few times and loved them and the look, but way to much $$$ too. When I tried that set of MP63's in Fla, I fell in love! But they were too trashed to buy and I am used to my X20's for my Florida rounds. I'm going to try out the Adams V4 forged this weekend at GS.
    I'd rather get a better used set than getting a new set for more $$$. I'm just not good enough for $1000 irons Laughing
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:34 pm

jmtbkr wrote:
    Poe4soul wrote:

Well,I'm looking for a 3 season set for Long Island. I have a beautiful set of X20's in Florida, for when I shoot down there during the cold spells here.
    Up here, I'm hitting Adams V3 hybrid irons. Got the set used for $100.
    I've been told i have a very nice swing, just need to work more on my timing. My irons tend to pull to the left side of the greens, so I wind up aiming a bit right. All my irons are steel shafts, in stiff flex. I seem to get better control with them. Yeah, I may give up a few yards, but it's better than hooking/slicing. My driver/fairway/hybrid play is dead straight.
    I tried the Ping S56 at GS and thought they were amazing. Waaaay too much $$$, IMO. I was suggested i20's, as a less expensive alternative. I've also hit AP2's. A bit harsh. I've hit Mizzy's a few times and loved them and the look, but way to much $$$ too. When I tried that set of MP63's in Fla, I fell in love! But they were too trashed to buy and I am used to my X20's for my Florida rounds. I'm going to try out the Adams V4 forged this weekend at GS.
    I'd rather get a better used set than getting a new set for more $$$. I'm just not good enough for $1000 irons Laughing

Pulling shots and compensating by aiming right will probably not be improved with new irons. You've got alignment/swing prolems to work out before you ho mo stix. And maybe shaft length and lie angle problems with the irons. If your long clubs are all straight, there's some fundamental difference between your swings with them and the irons.
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:47 pm

Yes, I see your point. Money would be well spent on a fitting and some lessons. I'm not trying to improve my game by just getting new clubs...we're equipment ho's. As a relative noob, 5yrs, I'm now getting crazy with all the technical nuances. I'll start obsessing with golf stuff like every other hobby I get into rabbit
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:05 pm

I hope I didn't sound like Larry by referring to swing problems. However, if you've only been playing five years and have a 12 handicap, that's some accomplishment. I'm entering my 58th year and currently have a 17.5 index. I used to be an 11 but have been playing strict USGA rules counting all my blows for the past year. It has been humbling and my recent regular play has illuminated all my swing and course management faults I've accumulated over the decades and gotten away with when I was younger with sometimes extraordinary scrambling talents. So before I tee it up in competition this coming March, I am going to re-do my golf swing. I've been working on it in drips and drabs for a couple of months playing with different stances and ball positions and all that minutiae but last week whilst Googling for opinions on ball positions and shoulder heights I found a teaching pro's website and Youtube videos. I think I've found my guru and went out yesterday afternoon to a field and hit a bunch of wedges and 9 irons using my new swing. I will have to take it about one or two clubs at a time since the new routine involves playing the ball well forward of where I usually play it and taking all hands action out of the swing. For some years I have been almost unable to get reliable strikes off fairway lies with hybrids and fairway woods. If this deal works, I will adopt it. My true test for irons is if, when I get the stance, ball positions and moves fairly ingrained, I can take my Mizuno MP 14 3 and 4 irons out and hit them solid. If I can, then I can play with about any iron.
    JonT

Blades

Post  JonT on Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:43 pm

Poe, when speaking about S59's as "blades" I was speaking in general terms, of course.

Accomplished golfer??? About the only thing I have accomplished related to golf has been playing for 35 years without quitting out of frustration. Maybe that was your point, but no intention by me of repeating marketing propaganda.

The Palmer Standards below are my wall hangers; my gamers from 1985 to 2002 are beat to sh*t, and I don't have any pictures of those. The FG51 Staff Tour Blades I just picked up; they are beauties. Enjoy.

[img][/img][img][/img]
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:52 pm

Two lovely sets of real blades. The Palmers I had did not have the large "Standard" script and I remember it being much smaller with Arnie's signature in gold. They must have been an earlier model. I regret letting mine go to rust. Just looking at them helps me recall some superb iron shots I hit. Long ago. And when you had an iron that had a pin through the hosel, well, you had something there.
    JonT

Post  JonT on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:03 pm

Mostly German wrote:Two lovely sets of real blades. The Palmers I had did not have the large "Standard" script and I remember it being much smaller with Arnie's signature in gold. They must have been an earlier model. I regret letting mine go to rust. Just looking at them helps me recall some superb iron shots I hit. Long ago. And when you had an iron that had a pin through the hosel, well, you had something there.

Yep, my gamers are the ones you have with the smaller script and gold fill; the ones pictured came out earlier. I am considering having them redone as they have many memories (good) for me as we'll. I often thought that it would be entertaining to form a group that would be interested in playing irons and real woods of Palmers and Hogans era ( with appropriate softer/lighter shafts in my case); it would certainly make playing today's clubs seem easy when playing normal rounds. I still have a few woods left; unfortunately, none of the nice ones; sold them for next to nothing years ago when the latest greatest metal clubs made them obsolete.
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy on Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:34 am

Reading the blade conversation and thought I would just pop in my review of the mizuno mp69s....
    1st post was edited and review added to it.

http://caddyshack.forumotion.com/t120-mizuno-mp69
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy on Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:42 am

Who has found the Ping series of blades to be a little different in design:

My reason being I can hit any other blade nice without issues but as soon as you put a ping s56/s59 in my hands I hit it thin 50% of the time. The trajectory is also very when I do hit one good,but the thin shots scared my too much to be interested...Looking online the ping series of blades have twice the bounce the mizuno blades have....Something must be wrong in the design....
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:54 am

Fluffy wrote:Who has found the Ping series of blades to be a little different in design:

My reason being I can hit any other blade nice without issues but as soon as you put a ping s56/s59 in my hands I hit it thin 50% of the time. The trajectory is also very when I do hit one good,but the thin shots scared my too much to be interested...Looking online the ping series of blades have twice the bounce the mizuno blades have....Something must be wrong in the design....

I have played the Ping s59 and Ping s58. I like the appearance of the S59 over its successor simply because it appears to have less offset. The s59 is a wonderful iron when equipped with the Z-Z65 shaft. The short irons throw darts better than Davey Criquett, the dart master.

I think the Mizuno MP-32 is a superior iron to any Ping S series, simply because of the feel. I would choose MP-32 irons over the MP-69. afro

Golfaholic

Post  Golfaholic on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:10 pm

The R11 TP 3 wood I bought as my first Ebay purchase showed up today. In plactic bag and shrink wrap directly from TM, and looks fantastic. I like the look of the 3 wood, but don't really like the R11 Driver heads. My eye is pleased and I'm looking forward to hitting some balls with it in the spring. I knew you could change the face angle (S, O, C) But didn't know you could play with the loft too. Just needs a new GP MC Grip.

To my surprise, I didn't have to pay duty/taxes/brokerage fees to get it across the border.
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:33 pm

Golfaholic wrote:The R11 TP 3 wood I bought as my first Ebay purchase showed up today. In plactic bag and shrink wrap directly from TM, and looks fantastic. I like the look of the 3 wood, but don't really like the R11 Driver heads. My eye is pleased and I'm looking forward to hitting some balls with it in the spring. I knew you could change the face angle (S, O, C) But didn't know you could play with the loft too. Just needs a new GP MC Grip.

To my surprise, I didn't have to pay duty/taxes/brokerage fees to get it across the border.

I wouldn't gloat about not paying fees. I bet that the RCMP Cyber Collections Unit (CCU) has some rookie Mountie sitting in some dark basement office on the Internet all day surfing forums and looking for tax cheaters just like you. Just kidding. But hey, I've looked at those Taylor white-head woods and noticed that some of them have sort of matt crinkled finishes. So that maybe a half a can of flat black spray paint could make them playable without a lot of sanding.

Dirtsquirrel

Post  Dirtsquirrel on Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:34 am

Golfaholic wrote:The R11 TP 3 wood I bought as my first Ebay purchase showed up today. In plactic bag and shrink wrap directly from TM, and looks fantastic. I like the look of the 3 wood, but don't really like the R11 Driver heads. My eye is pleased and I'm looking forward to hitting some balls with it in the spring. I knew you could change the face angle (S, O, C) But didn't know you could play with the loft too. Just needs a new GP MC Grip.

Never seems to be any problem with Fedex or good old USPS on shipments from eBay since it is all prepaid and included in your shipping quote. Just don't make the mistake of buying from a seller that uses UPS for shipping to Canada. They are notorious for raping customers with an additional separate brokerage fee that they collect on delivery. In some cases this can be up to 50 percent of the original item cost and more than the actual quoted shipping charge which you have already paid. There is even a class action lawsuit against UPS in Canada over this. Just seems opportunistic an unethical for them to be gouging their unsuspecting customers like this. I used to golf at Bally Hally in St Johns but never knew there were courses in Labrador. Have fun with the new club.
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:13 am

FamousDavis wrote:
    Fluffy wrote:Who has found the Ping series of blades to be a little different in design:

I have played the Ping s59 and Ping s58. I like the appearance of the S59 over its successor simply because it appears to have less offset. The s59 is a wonderful iron when equipped with the Z-Z65 shaft. The short irons throw darts better than Davey Criquett, the dart master.

I think the Mizuno MP-32 is a superior iron to any Ping S series, simply because of the feel. I would choose MP-32 irons over the MP-69. afro

Thanks but no thanks, Playability has nothing to do with choice. Personally what is the point of "cut muscle"?? Its bigger,it leans more towards a cavity and looks ugly as hell. Basically took a good players iron and made it into a hacker shovel...It even looks like the backend of a damn shovel....
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:31 am

Fluffy wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:

Thanks but no thanks, Playability has nothing to do with choice. Personally what is the point of "cut muscle"?? Its bigger,it leans more towards a cavity and looks ugly as hell. Basically took a good players iron and made it into a hacker shovel...It even looks like the backend of a damn shovel....

When I saw my first Mizuno iron with "Cut Muscle" engraved on the back I thought it read "C*nt Muscle" and I was more than willing to give it a go.

Golfaholic

Post  Golfaholic on Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:51 pm

Mostly German wrote:

I wouldn't gloat about not paying fees. I bet that the RCMP Cyber Collections Unit (CCU) has some rookie Mountie sitting in some dark basement office on the Internet all day surfing forums and looking for tax cheaters just like you. Just kidding. But hey, I've looked at those Taylor white-head woods and noticed that some of them have sort of matt crinkled finishes. So that maybe a half a can of flat black spray paint could make them playable without a lot of sanding.

I guess if you ship USPS from the States to Canada, there are no Brokerage Fees. Also, it's the CBSA Agent who assessed my package (No pun intended) who choose not to impose the tax. My hands are clean!

I really don't hate the white on the 3 wood. I think it's because the head is a lot smaller than the driver.
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:03 pm

Golfaholic wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:

I guess if you ship USPS from the States to Canada, there are no Brokerage Fees. Also, it's the CBSA Agent who assessed my package (No pun intended) who choose not to impose the tax. My hands are clean!

I really don't hate the white on the 3 wood. I think it's because the head is a lot smaller than the driver.

I wasn't kidding about spraying flat black over a white head. I'm sure that in my ho'ing future I will obtain a ridiculously cheap used Taylor driver or fairway wood with a white head and even before hitting it, I will stop at the nearest Home Depot or Auto Parts Store on the way home and spray it down, let it dry, spray it again, let it dry, and the spray her again.

Golfaholic

Post  Golfaholic on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:13 pm

Dirtsquirrel wrote:

Never seems to be any problem with Fedex or good old USPS on shipments from eBay since it is all prepaid and included in your shipping quote. Just don't make the mistake of buying from a seller that uses UPS for shipping to Canada. They are notorious for raping customers with an additional separate brokerage fee that they collect on delivery. In some cases this can be up to 50 percent of the original item cost and more than the actual quoted shipping charge which you have already paid. There is even a class action lawsuit against UPS in Canada over this. Just seems opportunistic an unethical for them to be gouging their unsuspecting customers like this. I used to golf at Bally Hally in St Johns but never knew there were courses in Labrador. Have fun with the new club.

I did some reading and like you mentioned, it looks like USPS is the way to go. But the 3 wood and Tour Striker I bought from the states were shipped USPS and I didn't have to pay anything extra. Shipping was $30 but that's more the norm for Labrador. Still got the club a lot cheaper than retail. I won't buy anything from the states from now on unless it's coming USPS. I read to avoid UPS like the plague. I don't like things being delivered to the house anyway.

There are two courses in Labrador, one in Labrador City and a 9 hole course in Happy Valley - Goose Bay. It's not prime grass growing conditions up here, but courses are usually in pretty good shape in Aug/Sep.

Golfaholic

Post  Golfaholic on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:15 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:
    Golfaholic wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:

I wasn't kidding about spraying flat black over a white head. I'm sure that in my ho'ing future I will obtain a ridiculously cheap used Taylor driver or fairway wood with a white head and even before hitting it, I will stop at the nearest Home Depot or Auto Parts Store on the way home and spray it down, let it dry, spray it again, let it dry, and the spray her again.

Wow, I thought I was the only one who knew somebody that paints their clubs. My regular golfing buddy likes to strip the paint fill from his irons and then fill them with his own. His driver has one of those stickers on the crown that looks like a mushroom cloud. He painted the interior cavity of his Burner Plus irons this gold color and they actually look pretty cool. He did the same thing with some Mizuno MX-20 irons and I swear it looked like they came that way from the factory.

Not the best thing to do for resale, though. bounce

I have changed the pain in my MP 60's twice. Once to green and once to white. Some of it has started to chip away so I will probably take it out and keep them naked before this season.
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:16 pm

I have a couple of old Titleist driver and fairway wood heads and have put one of the 15* 904F three woods back in my bag. The head is a bit scratched on top and it doesn't bother me much but I have been tempted to just sand all the paint off and play it natural. Of course since it is steel, it may end up rusting. On the other hand, I also have two 9.5* 983K driver heads currently shaftless and since those are all titanium, they won't rust. Maybe I'll give one of those heads the au natural look. And I also just put my MX 20's back in the bag. Never thought about painting the cavities but did put some lead tape strips in them and they look pretty serious with that tape.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:59 pm