The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+13
jmtbkr
Golfaholic
Horseballs
Playa Hata
rooteen
12pierogi
Big Dave
jt1135
Olderplayer
Dirtsquirrel
FamousDavis
Mongrel
Pky6471
17 posters

Your Most Reliable and Predictable Club in your Bag

Pky6471
    Pky6471

Your Most Reliable and Predictable Club in your Bag Empty Your Most Reliable and Predictable Club in your Bag

Post  Pky6471 Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:16 am

Cally FT-i Squareway 5W,,,, I could send a ball where I wanted it to go, 95% of the time.... Yes, that reliable
    Just eBayed a cheap Squareway 3W, hopefully it's as reliable
    Attachments
    Your Most Reliable and Predictable Club in your Bag AttachmentUntitled.jpg
    You don't have permission to download attachments.
    (25 Kb) Downloaded 2 times
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Your Most Reliable and Predictable Club in your Bag Empty Re: Your Most Reliable and Predictable Club in your Bag

Post  Mongrel Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:12 am

Driver. Tit 909 D Comp. Freshly re-shafted with a VooDoo regular flex pull that will make it, hopefully, even more predictable and reliable. Last season various putters were most unreliable and unpredictable. Hopefully, the new putter on board will remedy all that. Used Rife 2 Bar Mallet at 33" with big thick Winn putter grip with the heaviest weights installed.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Your Most Reliable and Predictable Club in your Bag Empty Re: Your Most Reliable and Predictable Club in your Bag

Post  FamousDavis Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:29 pm

Mostly German wrote:Driver. Tit 909 D Comp. Freshly re-shafted with a VooDoo regular flex pull that will make it, hopefully, even more predictable and reliable. Last season various putters were most unreliable and unpredictable. Hopefully, the new putter on board will remedy all that. Used Rife 2 Bar Mallet at 33" with big thick Winn putter grip with the heaviest weights installed.

Damn Mongrel, you sure are enjoying that 909 D Comp. Sounds kinda' gangster if you think about it. "Gotta get up on the D Comp". I've looked at that driver myself several times and I like it better than the other two 909 models. Now the 910 series has gone on sale and the price point for used 910s has gone down. Still very high for used clubs at, like, $179 a club.

I'm still enjoying the 983e 8.5 Aldila NV-65 Stiff. I was having a great round yesterday until I got annoyed at the cart lady, this 50-something lady who always seems to say something smartass whenever I order anything. Yesterday, I said "I'll have a diet Coke".

She went to the back of the cart and said "we have diet pepsi, diet doctor pepper and diet coke".

I replied "I'll have a diet coke".

She said "It's just that some people don't realize we have the other diet products. I wasn't trying to be difficult"

I said "what are you talking about? I just ordered a diet coke. I'm not upset at anything".

Then she hands me the diet coke and says "I wasn't trying to insult your intelligence".

At that point I was about to lose it. I just let out a big sigh and said "I just wanted a friggin' diet coke".

I triple bogied the next hole. I need to learn to say nothing.
    Dirtsquirrel

Your Most Reliable and Predictable Club in your Bag Empty Your Most Reliable and Predictable Club in Your Bag

Post  Dirtsquirrel Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:25 pm

Ditto on the 5 wood. Simply the most reliable easy to hit high and straight club in my bag. Currently Tour Edge Exotics but previously Ping Rapture all the way back to Lynx Parallax in the early metal wood days. Have given up on finding a hybrid to directly replace this spot in my bag. Kind of old school now but for me off the tee on a long par 3 or off the fairway on long approach shots this is my go to club.
    Olderplayer
    Olderplayer

Post  Olderplayer Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:17 pm

My V-steel 5 wood is about as reliable as a club can get. A real go to. It's a good gauge then. If I am not hitting it well I know that there is something not right with how I'm swinging it. Can go for many rounds in a row and not hit a bad shot with it.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:16 pm

Mine would be the TEE Trilogy 4 wood. Rough or fairway I know its going pretty much where I aim it and I can always get good distance out of it. Too bad I only use it about 4 times at the most on my home course.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:19 pm

It's interesting that none of us mentioned 7i, 8i or 9i... Why? Are we saying that our driver and/or W are as reliable as 7-9i ?
    Big Dave
    Big Dave

Post  Big Dave Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:58 pm

My fave iron IS the 7 iron. Seems like the one that I feel like I never miss with, and I rarely do.

I feel the same way about my gapper, the 52 Vokey. Smooth easy swing gets me 100-105 and very easy to aim, very hard to miss badly.

Overall, though, I'd say it's the Cleveland HiBore XLS 13* three wood with the factory red shaft in X flex. Shaft length is more than my old drivers from back in the day, and even though I'm getting old and weak I can still motor it out there 245 or so off the tee and with IMMENSE confidence about where it's going.

I am not as fond of my five and six iron, not as fond of my 58* wedge even though it's been good to me. I hate all putters and most drivers even though the one I have now has been my best ever.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:18 pm

Yeah Dave, my 52 CG14 was my other choice. Open the stance a little, open the club face a touch and it is locked on for 92 yards with no run out.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:15 pm

Out of the iron category the 8 iron is a great club for me, inside 150 I love the club. I lay up to this distance often. The 56 wedge with a px shaft is very reliable, I've had this club quite a few years, and just run a file through the grooves every year or so. My old love will spin the ball back when struck well.

In the woods, literally, is my r7 cgb max 3 wood still a blast to hit, fades or a draw on demand, whatever you need it does.
    I've become quite attached to a Nickent 18.5 5dx with an old driver shaft I snapped, that I stuck in it. It has been responsible for some eagles and so many birds or the opportunity. Laser straight is its stock shot.
    rooteen
    rooteen

Post  rooteen Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:47 am

Most reliable club for me is my putter. Doesn't matter how i am swinging the other clubs, i very rarely have a poor putting round. Changed putters this year for the first time in about 6 or 7 years and was worried it might affect my putting, but to date in 6 comp rounds i have had a total of 2 3putts. Two of the rounds were just after the greens had been cored. Most unreliable clubs are my 3 and 4 hybrid. Ok when swinging well, but hook machines when not.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:33 am

Olderplayer wrote:My V-steel 5 wood is about as reliable as a club can get. A real go to. It's a good gauge then. If I am not hitting it well I know that there is something not right with how I'm swinging it. Can go for many rounds in a row and not hit a bad shot with it.

TM V-steel 5W is at least 5 yr old, my friend still plays it and loves that sucker... Never let a good old lover go away until U find a better one Laughing
    Playa Hata
    Playa Hata

Post  Playa Hata Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:10 am

It's quickly becoming my CG15 54* wedge. If I'm 110 yards out, I'm landing within 20 feet most times.

FD, perhaps you need to check that cart lady and remind her who's boss. I find that "I pay your salary" works well with police officers. It could have the same effect with middle-aged cart women.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:10 am

I have more confidence in the clubs I typically warm up with. I usually bring the 56, 8, 5 and driver. The 8 iron is very solid for me.
    Outside of that, my 10 year old 3 wood almost always works well off the tee. It's only about 15 yards shorter than the driver. I should probably use it more.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:05 am

NO ONE claims the "THRIVER" yet !!! Where is he? Smile
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:36 pm

Pky6471 wrote:NO ONE claims the "THRIVER" yet !!! Where is he? Smile

I have not found that magic "Thriver" head yet. But when I do, there is certainly a shaft in my position that will make it a "go to" tee club.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:07 pm

Mostly German wrote:

I have not found that magic "Thriver" head yet. But when I do, there is certainly a shaft in my position that will make it a "go to" tee club.

I believe I saw a 14* Ping driver head at GG a few days ago, with a lady shaft
    Golfaholic

Post  Golfaholic Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:23 pm

It use to me my 60º TM RAC TP. Hopefully my Nike SV 60º picks up where it left off.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:01 pm

Golfaholic wrote:It use to me my 60º TM RAC TP. Hopefully my Nike SV 60º picks up where it left off.

U carry 100 yds with your 60* LW ?
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:48 pm

Pky6471 wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:

I believe I saw a 14* Ping driver head at GG a few days ago, with a lady shaft

I think that almost all those high lofted driver heads, especially women's models, have closed faces. I'm looking for one that sits square to a half degree or so open. May have to search the components.
    Golfaholic

Post  Golfaholic Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:22 pm

Pky6471 wrote:
    Golfaholic wrote:It use to me my 60º TM RAC TP. Hopefully my Nike SV 60º picks up where it left off.

No? I never said I did. Max 60º is probably 75ish.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:22 am

Golfaholic wrote:
    Pky6471 wrote:

No? I never said I did. Max 60º is probably 75ish.

Just kidding... mine is 50-55 yds range, good for an old man
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:32 am

My favorite iron is my 60* CG15. From 60yds and in i can hit it full swing or just baby it a few feet.

My favorite club is my 24* hybrid. I consista tly hit it 180 yds. The perfect 2nd shot club to put me (moostly) on the green. Out or the rough, off the tee and on the fairway, dead nutz on.
    msal13

Post  msal13 Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:32 pm

My Cobra DWS 2 hybrid has been in my bag longest of all my current clubs, and is easily most my most reliable. Great from the fairway and I usually choose it for hitting out from low branches, around tree trunks, etc. I've been looking for a 21 degree on ebay as well but no luck finding one.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:52 pm

msal13 wrote:My Cobra DWS 2 hybrid has been in my bag longest of all my current clubs, and is easily most my most reliable. Great from the fairway and I usually choose it for hitting out from low branches, around tree trunks, etc. I've been looking for a 21 degree on ebay as well but no luck finding one.

I currently own the Cobra Baffler DWS 18 Degree and 23 degree hybrids. I used them for Par 5 layups, long Par 3s, shots from 200 to 215 out and for putting from off the fringe. Extremely versatile clubs. Unlike you, I'm almost always in the fairway and don't need to contend with tree trunks, branches or hobos sleeping in the bushes.

I do not keep covers on mine.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:56 pm