The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+20
jmtbkr
Kiwigolfer
FreakOfNature
Horseballs
FamousDavis
rooteen
The Ghost of FD
BBQpig
Hubijerk
The Doctor
corythepagan
Lorenzzo
Big Dave
Poe4soul
SoonerBS
californiataxes
Player
12pierogi
Fluffy
Lord Helmet
24 posters

On The Course - Round Report

BBQpig
    BBQpig

On The Course - Round Report - Page 7 Empty Re: On The Course - Round Report

Post  BBQpig Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:48 pm

I played a P. Dye course today, I hit 2 over 500 yard par 5s in two Putting for eagles. That counts for something. It was close to 100 degrees also.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:58 am

Worst round of my life yesterday.

somehow, I just knew my game was going to be in the crapper.  It was 94* and not even a hint of a breeze. Oh, and the famous long island humidity.  And the course was brutal!  Bethpage red.  The first cut rough was juicy, thick and deep. And the fesque was 3' high, so if you lost your ball in it, you really lost it.  Plus all the ticks w/ Lyme and ensepilitis:affraid: 

While I'm blaming things.....my swing was $hit too.  On the few times I used my driver, I managed to hit the ground before I hit the ball.  Out came the 3W.  The normally glass fast greens were slowed by the constatnly running sprinklers.  Don't know why they were turning them on in the afternoon!?  Guess they know us league guys are not that important!

Fortunately for me, my newly reshafted (DG R300) TA 845s' were superb. I was hitting greens, altho I was pushing a bit to the right. MAde for some longish putts.

So I wound up with a 90, which aint too bad for a course like the red.  Oh...and I rented a cart, while my competetors all walked with their carry bags.  So I just had to rub it in a bit by driving next to them and pouring water on my head, "Gee it's nice and cool under the cart canopy!"

We won by one.cheers
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:14 pm

For your entertainment :my latest homemade headcover
    Attachments
    On The Course - Round Report - Page 7 Attachment20104.jpg
    You don't have permission to download attachments.
    (35 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:30 pm

BBQpig wrote:I played a P. Dye  course today, I hit 2 over 500 yard par 5s in two Putting for eagles. That counts for something. It was close to 100 degrees also.

What would've count is if you holed the eagle putts....

Any one can birdie a par5.....two putting for birdie is still bad....Alien 
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:38 pm

Played the only Rees Jones course in Minnesota today. Buddy of mine got an invite from a local company that was having a day at the course. Me and my bud got paired up in a scramble with two women who haven't played golf in five years. It was okay, at least they looked nice and had big racks. 94 degrees with about a 25-30 mph wind so they were wetting down the greens occasionally during the round. The groundkeeper figured they were running about 13 on the stimpmeter. Faster than a whores pants when the ship comes in. Oh yeah, great steak dinner afterwards.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:51 am

I had a tough time removing the driver from the bag, however, without it, I carded an 81, best round of the season! Hit 12 fairways and 14 GIR's. I figured out the greens from last week - no rain for a month and being a county course, your tax dollars DO NOT go towards watering the course. Brown, hard and fast, they are beginning to die off:evil:  The county sucks! They did some kind of cross slicing to the greens to let the roots breathe (?) and this week they all got aerated in hopes they'll come back. Too little - too late. Well, it don't cost me anything as the company pays it, but you like to at least see green greens!!
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:38 am

Fluffy wrote:
    BBQpig wrote:I played a P. Dye  course today, I hit 2 over 500 yard par 5s in two Putting for eagles. That counts for something. It was close to 100 degrees also.

What would've count is if you holed the eagle putts....

Any one can birdie a par5.....two putting for birdie is still bad....Alien 

Have you ever played a P. Dye course?
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:24 am

jmtbkr wrote:I had a tough time removing the driver from the bag, however, without it, I carded an 81, best round of the season!  Hit 12 fairways and 14 GIR's. I figured out the greens from last week - no rain for a month and being a county course, your tax dollars DO NOT go towards watering the course. Brown, hard and fast, they are beginning to die off:evil:  The county sucks! They did some kind of cross slicing to the greens to let the roots breathe (?) and this week they all got aerated in hopes they'll come back. Too little - too late.  Well, it don't cost me anything as the company pays it, but you like to at least see green greens!!
    14 greens and an 81? Did you also remove the putter from the bag?
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:38 am

Horseballs wrote:
    jmtbkr wrote:I had a tough time removing the driver from the bag, however, without it, I carded an 81, best round of the season!  Hit 12 fairways and 14 GIR's. I figured out the greens from last week - no rain for a month and being a county course, your tax dollars DO NOT go towards watering the course. Brown, hard and fast, they are beginning to die off:evil:  The county sucks! They did some kind of cross slicing to the greens to let the roots breathe (?) and this week they all got aerated in hopes they'll come back. Too little - too late.  Well, it don't cost me anything as the company pays it, but you like to at least see green greens!!
    14 greens and an 81?  Did you also remove the putter from the bag?

HAHA. I agree.....14greens in regulation means 69-71 scores....
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:44 am

I can't imagine shooting 69-71.

As I said, the greens are in such bad condition, that any missed put rolled 6' past the hole.
    Just struggling to break 80.

ANd then there's my usual couple of blow up holes!!! A 7 and a 6 on two of the par threes.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:48 am

14 greens in regulation and you barely broke 80? On The Course - Round Report - Page 7 Smiley-laughing024

What did you do, putt with your sand wedge? On The Course - Round Report - Page 7 Smiley-laughing021

I'm sorry but I just don't see how you can hit 14 greens and barely break 80 On The Course - Round Report - Page 7 Emoticon-animal-051
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:23 pm

I thought that he described the greens situation well. Verti-cut and then aerated. Impossible to putt. In fact, some clubs I am familiar with had local rules giving a player the option of taking two putts on greens like that or putting out. Just like local rules for temporary greens. In my opinion, greens in regulation and fairways hit are overrated. What's not overrated is number of putts and the percentage of up and downs from off the putting surface. Many of you don't live on the East Coast with its crap weather or play many municipal courses currently running on shoestring budgets managed by Mongoloid nephews of elected officials. Count yourselves lucky.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:21 pm

I would have had better luck putting with a pool cue!

This course does not water, at all! All the greens - uhhh, I should call them browns - were 1/3 dead already. The remaining 'grass' was withered, brown and dying. MAde for almost concrete hard greens that rolled like glass. My playing partner hit an uphill put right of the cup. It broke left after the hole and rolled back down to where he putted from. Normal greens just don't do that!
    The other players who normally hit one or two putts.....some were hitting four or five times!!! It was crazy.

I know...most of you would say, go to another course. These guys have been good to us over the years, and it's not fair to change venues due to mother nature. Hopefully, nature will change things before everything dies out. By then, I should be back to my normal, crappy game:lol: 

I just thought I'd share one of my best rounds - fairway wise - with youse!
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:34 pm

The superintendent of that course should be fired. When conditions get that hot and dry, the only way to save the greens is to not cut them much if at all. Now if you do that, all the kling-ons who fancy themselves little Tour Pro Clones will scream and whine but when the weather turns, all they have to do it start cutting and rolling them again and things will return to hunky-dory. Instead, they're looking at re-seeding or sodding and neither option is very cheap.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:10 pm

Not a chance! Remember, this is a county course and the super has been there forever. Good old county job. Ole' Fred will be buried next to the 18th green in the not so distant future and there will be a bronze plaque with his likeness on it.
    Boy I wish I had a county job!

Like I said....too little, too late with the watering.
    Last week I played at a semi private course and there were thunderstorms around the 15 tee and they still had all the sprinklers going.

It's all about politics and money.
    Hubijerk
    Hubijerk

Post  Hubijerk Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:42 pm

Played Paiute Wolf today from the blacks at 7100 with some buds, shot 77 and while not happy with that I only had 1 birdie and played the back 9 in a hurricane... I hit a 160 yard pw that curved 80 yards due to the wind and ended up 10ft on the island green par 3, it looked like a trick shot and water was so choppy it was surfable. Didn't hit many greens either but made lots of putts, I always putt well at this place as the greens are usually perfect. Once the rain came the rough got incredibly difficult and grabby as well. I'd say we were playing the back in a steady 35 mph wind with gusts up to 50 plus.

The new 3 deep worked awesome plus I broke out a new pair of True Linkswear Tours that took me a little while to get use to, but I really like them. Very comfortable and better traction than my Adidas with spikes.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:46 pm

Hubijerk wrote:Played Paiute Wolf today from the blacks at 7100 with some buds, shot 77 and while not happy with that I only had 1 birdie and played the back 9 in a hurricane... I hit a 160 yard pw that curved 80 yards due to the wind and ended up 10ft on the island green par 3, it looked like a trick shot and water was so choppy it was surfable.  Didn't hit many greens either but made lots of putts, I always putt well at this place as the greens are usually perfect.  Once the rain came the rough got incredibly difficult and grabby as well.  I'd say we were playing the back in a steady 35 mph wind with gusts up to 50 plus.

The new 3 deep worked awesome plus I broke out a new pair of True Linkswear Tours that took me a little while to get use to, but I really like them.  Very comfortable and better traction than my Adidas with spikes.

A real man would have played the tips from 7,600 yards. Cool 

That is one tough course. Three of us from this forum played that course and it was windy that day as well. You have to place the ball well and avoid certain bunkers.
    Hubijerk
    Hubijerk

Post  Hubijerk Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:40 am

FamousDavis wrote:
    Hubijerk wrote:Played Paiute Wolf today from the blacks at 7100 with some buds, shot 77 and while not happy with that I only had 1 birdie and played the back 9 in a hurricane... I hit a 160 yard pw that curved 80 yards due to the wind and ended up 10ft on the island green par 3, it looked like a trick shot and water was so choppy it was surfable.  Didn't hit many greens either but made lots of putts, I always putt well at this place as the greens are usually perfect.  Once the rain came the rough got incredibly difficult and grabby as well.  I'd say we were playing the back in a steady 35 mph wind with gusts up to 50 plus.

The new 3 deep worked awesome plus I broke out a new pair of True Linkswear Tours that took me a little while to get use to, but I really like them.  Very comfortable and better traction than my Adidas with spikes.

A real man would have played the tips from 7,600 yards.  Cool 

That is one tough course.  Three of us from this forum played that course and it was windy that day as well.  You have to place the ball well and avoid certain bunkers.  

I couldn't get my friends to play from the tips. I have always liked Dye designs, they just fit my eye. I don't find them overly difficult and they are fair. I almost cracked the 400 yard barrier today as well, ended up about 380 off the tee up hill a bit, split fairway with a gully to carry and a strong wind at my back, par 4 coming down the back, 17 I think... I had a 40 yard pitch or so to the flag, which was actually pretty tricky with all the wind.

I may buy a membership there next year, I love that place. And 3 courses in perpetual amazing shape and great practice facilities make it pretty unbeatable.
    Big Dave
    Big Dave

Post  Big Dave Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:04 am

Hubijerk wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:

That is one tough course.  Three of us from this forum played that course and it was windy that day as well.  You have to place the ball well and avoid certain bunkers.  

I couldn't get my friends to play from the tips.  I have always liked Dye designs, they just fit my eye.  I don't find them overly difficult and they are fair.  I almost cracked the 400 yard barrier today as well, ended up about 380 off the tee up hill a bit, split fairway with a gully to carry and a strong wind at my back, par 4 coming down the back, 17 I think... I had a 40 yard pitch or so to the flag, which was actually pretty tricky with all the wind.

I may buy a membership there next year, I love that place.  And 3 courses in perpetual amazing shape and great practice facilities make it pretty unbeatable.

I remember that split fairway/gully hole! Wolf is great, but all three are fun... love that high desert view.... I had Famous Davis dormie on the 17th tee on Snow Mountain course and I pulled my drive on 17 and lost the ball, still dormie on 18th tee.. on 18 I hit an amazing pitch from a grass bunker sidehill lie and got it to six feet for par and the match, then missed the putt. Gave away the draw.

Still in awe of FD's finishing par into the wind with a five iron on 18. Not that he struck it so well, but that he got it onto the green in that wind and two putted from 9000 feet with the loss on the line :-)

We should plan on going back there sometime, FD. Dunno where Lake-ologist got off to, but now we have another local to tee it up with. :-)
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:23 am

Hubijerk wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:

I couldn't get my friends to play from the tips.  I have always liked Dye designs, they just fit my eye.  I don't find them overly difficult and they are fair.  I almost cracked the 400 yard barrier today as well, ended up about 380 off the tee up hill a bit, split fairway with a gully to carry and a strong wind at my back, par 4 coming down the back, 17 I think... I had a 40 yard pitch or so to the flag, which was actually pretty tricky with all the wind.

I may buy a membership there next year, I love that place.  And 3 courses in perpetual amazing shape and great practice facilities make it pretty unbeatable.

Hubi, I'll be heading through LV on Thursday at around lunchtime towing a U-Haul trailer of stuff up to UT. Can I take you to lunch? There's a small chance a friend will be in town in which case I'd come in Wednesday night.
    Hubijerk
    Hubijerk

Post  Hubijerk Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:35 pm

[/quote] Hubi, I'll be heading through LV on Thursday at around lunchtime towing a U-Haul trailer of stuff up to UT.  Can I take you to lunch?  There's a small chance a friend will be in town in which case I'd come in Wednesday night.[/quote]

I'm down, there are a few cool places along the way for lunch, let me know for sure.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

On The Course - Round Report - Page 7 Empty On the bay...

Post  jmtbkr Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:26 pm

Played a favorite course today. It's on a point that sticks out into the Great South Bay. Fire Island is 5 miles out. It's our ocean barrier.
    Any way, there are two par 3's that hug the river. Easy, 130 yds
    On The Course - Round Report - Page 7 Photo_zps14dbc96b

With usually 30 - 40 mph wind.cherry 

Today I hit it in the bushes!!

But it was 79* today and I shot an 85.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:09 pm

Tee'd off at 7:20am yesterday and for whatever reason it was dreadfully slow. I'm not sure why because this course usually enables one to be finished within 4.5 hours. That's not bad for a public course. The waiting got to me, though, and on the 16th hole I had a triple bogey. Really stupid, actually, because I was in the middle of the fairway and then hit my second shot into a bunker. I skulled my SW over the green, left my pitch shot short, and then proceeded to chip up and two putt for a 7. I shot a 79 with a double and a triple. The Ping G2 irons are going on Ebay.

Now I'm going back to my "players" iron mode. The good news is that the G5 Driver, NVS Stiff, is still in the bag. I just love the way this thing feels.

I never should have gotten rid of my Titleist 990 irons. On The Course - Round Report - Page 7 Smiley-sad052
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:26 pm

jmtbkr wrote:Played a favorite course today.  It's on a point that sticks out into the Great South Bay.  Fire Island is 5 miles out. It's our ocean barrier.
    Any way, there are two par 3's that hug the river. Easy, 130 yds
    On The Course - Round Report - Page 7 Photo_zps14dbc96b

With usually 30 - 40 mph wind.cherry 

Today I hit it in the bushes!!

But it was 79* today and I shot an 85.
    Do those power lines supply the windmill?
    Hubijerk
    Hubijerk

Post  Hubijerk Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:03 am

played the easiest 18 holes of golf I can remember today. I've been sick the last few days, haven't touched a club. Went to the course today at around 4:30ish and hit a few range balls, didn't miss a shot and the ball just sounded different coming off my irons. I went out with the intention of playing a few holes, maybe hitting some iron shots from different spots... instead I shot 18 pars, 18 of the easiest stress free pars ever. tons of birdie putts that just missed, no sweats for par. a few easy up and downs and a sand save. My swing felt free, my rotation was rotating, and I was absolutely crushing the ball on the sweetspot every time.

Today could have easily been a way under par round, but to get done quickly I only half read putts to save time.

I also thought I may have finally cracked the 400 yard barrier but alas 375 was the best I could do, but even that swing wasn't really a hard one, I just rotated a bit faster. The cally woods are flat out gross. The course is starting to firm up and I did get some good roll which has been in short supply lately. I also put my old Yes Callie back in the bag, the old original Swashdesn putter not the new white colored garbage. After putting ok with the Nike for awhile, but feeling I wasn't making as many putts as I should, I think the Callie is going back in the bag to stay for awhile.

All in all I could have played 54 holes of the kind of golf I played today and not be a bit tired.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 3:28 am