The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+20
jmtbkr
Kiwigolfer
FreakOfNature
Horseballs
FamousDavis
rooteen
The Ghost of FD
BBQpig
Hubijerk
The Doctor
corythepagan
Lorenzzo
Big Dave
Poe4soul
SoonerBS
californiataxes
Player
12pierogi
Fluffy
Lord Helmet
24 posters

On The Course - Round Report

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

On The Course - Round Report - Page 2 Empty Re: On The Course - Round Report

Post  FamousDavis Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:14 am

FreakOfNature wrote:
    Fluffy wrote:
    FreakOfNature wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:Well, now I'm back from my 2-day amateur tournament that was held in Solvang, CA. Very cool place to visit. Too long of a drive, though, as it took me 5 hours to get there and 7 hours to return. LA traffic sucks.

The first day the winds made it close to unplayable. 35 to 40 MPH. I shot 85 the first day for a net 80. I hit it terrible and made all kinds of stupid mistakes. Surprisingly my score was middle of the pack.

The second day was pretty cool because in the cart with me I was paired with Michael Lieberthal who is a former MLB catcher who played for the Phillies and Dodgers for 14 years. I didn't even know who he was until I asked him what he did for a living and he told me on the 14th hole. He's 36 and retired now. Must be nice. Very nice guy who looked exactly what you picture as a baseball player.

The second thing about this guy and another guy in our group is that they hit the ball longer than anyone I had played with before. Lieberthal hit is 300 in the air and I'm not exaggerating. This other guy was about 6-4, had an odd takeaway but hit it even farther. On some holes I was 60 yards behind them. They go for every Par 5 in two and usually get there. On one 495 yard Par 5 they had 160 yards to the green.

I played better on the 2nd day but not much. I hate the fact that I don't swing freely from the get go. Nerves.

Sounds like it was tough out there. Sorry about the score... but at least you got to meet and play with some cool folks.

Now you know how you'd feel if you ever played a round with me, cuz I'd make those musclebound geeks look like effeminate pansies. You don't want any of this, old man. I'm so long I make horses tear up. tongue

That guy who is supposedly not really a hacker needs to take some notes on how to trash talk properly. I shouldn't be too hard on him though, he's pretty abrasive... for an herbivore. Laughing

Seriously though FD, any of us would have been intimidated playing with a former pro athlete, there's no shame in that. You did pretty well, all things considered. If ever there was an 85 to be proud of... Smile

I must say. There's nothing better then someone assuming you cant hit far, then they are actually monster hitters, UNTILL ITs MY TURN....

As for intimidation....It only works if one idolizes these people.

The thing is though - you're a HUGE guy and obviously look like you can hit it for miles... I'm just a little 5'11" 185lb squirt who can occasionally blow it by you. Smile

The intimidation of playing with someone famous is real though - you know in your gut that if you got to play a round with Tiger you'd shoot 20 over your handicap. We all would, and that's nothing to be ashamed about. FD played in the same group as a long hitting former pro baseball player. The guy was on US TV 4 times a week for 16 years. Yeah, it's not surprising FD got a bit intimidated... and the guy could really smash it too.

Nerves are the achilles heel of lots of really good amateur players. That's why we're not pros. That's why Bobby Jones never turned pro. It bites the best of us. You're just not seasoned enough to feel it yet, but trust me - you will. That or you'll make it as a pro and then you have to throw a huge party with everyone from Caddyshack. I'll warn you I drink like a fish and smoke like a chimney. Laughing

I was fearless and unflappable like you once. The nerves go to sh!t over time. Expect it. It's a rare day where you feel comfortable hitting the ball, everything is a compensation in some minute way. It takes a toll. Don't get me wrong - the game is still fun and I still take risks like a drunken sailor... but it does become more difficult to maintain composure and play within yourself as you age, and especially if your skills are in decline. It isn't easy for anyone to admit to themselves that their best days are behind them. Those of us who are hovering around 40 are dealing with that dilemma every day, and I'm sure FD is confronted by that as well. He's still a great player and can post great scores - it's just more difficult to maintain composure around our age. BTW he's 6 years older than me so he's a real geezer by comparison. Just had to throw that out there.

I'm actually gaining an appreciation for how the old guys on here play the game. As much as I love to rib them for being shortknockers, I understand and respect the way they've persevered through their decline and found a way to take what they still have and enjoy the game. I admire that kind of attitude. We can still learn a lot from those old farts.

FreakofNature,

You really need to work on your flaming skills. Playa' is much better than you. You see, flaming doesn't work if you don't follow the original story and get all of your facts wrong.

First, I didn't play with the ex-MLB guy in the first round. Second, I didn't know he had played pro baseball until we were on the second nine of our round. I wasn't intimidated at all and actually shot 37 on the back 9. My only point was that I was amazed at how far he could hit his drives. And, unlike you and other guys who try to hit the ball far, he did it with a technically perfect swing and every other aspect of his game was just as good. Honestly, he probably could have been on the PGA Tour if he started when he was young. That's how good this guy was. Every single aspect of his game was solid. If memory serves he had 6 birdies and one double-bogey that resulted from a slightly pulled drive into a hazard. He shot four under.

Also, I should point out that I wasn't in awe of him at all because he was an ex-baseball guy. I never asked him about it again after he told me. I figured guys like that really don't want to discuss their baseball careers. To me he was just another golfer. It sounds like that wouldn't have been the case with you, otherwise you wouldn't be responding like you are.

Finally, based on what you've bragged about for the last 3 years, it appears the only solid part of your game is the driver. If that were the case, I would just be laughing on the tee knowing that I'm going to beat you on every hole. If you want to come West and play me for $100 or whatever please feel free anytime.

I know you're just trolling but I thought I'd help you out with a few pointers on how to do a little better next time. I'm surprised you didn't provide us with a photo of all the balls you've cracked open over the years. Especially the Pinnacles.

Keep it real.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:27 am

FD, what's even more amazing is that this guy was able to shoot such a good round playing alongside a star-struck chopper shooting an embarrassing score.

Nothing worse than contending for a tournament when you are playing with hackers.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:11 am

Horseballs wrote:FD, what's even more amazing is that this guy was able to shoot such a good round playing alongside a star-struck chopper shooting an embarrassing score.

Nothing worse than contending for a tournament when you are playing with hackers.

It's interesting to note how most of you would have reacted to something so trivial. Sure, it was kind of neat to be paired with an ex baseball player but I'm really surprised to hear how most of you would have been star struck. Especially HB. I always thought of him as kind of a stoic guy with dry humor. I never thought of him as a blubbering fan. I guess now we know.
    Lord Helmet
    Lord Helmet

Post  Lord Helmet Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:35 am

FamousDavis wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:FD, what's even more amazing is that this guy was able to shoot such a good round playing alongside a star-struck chopper shooting an embarrassing score.

It's interesting to note how most of you would have reacted to something so trivial. Sure, it was kind of neat to be paired with an ex baseball player but I'm really surprised to hear how most of you would have been star struck. Especially HB. I always thought of him as kind of a stoic guy with dry humor. I never thought of him as a blubbering fan. I guess now we know.

FD- come to Cincy and I will let you play with a former baseball player! And let me know if you hit those new irons (TM I think) with the project X. I am really interested in trying out a project x shaft - compared to KBS.
    californiataxes

On The Course - Round Report - Page 2 Empty Mike Lieberthal

Post  californiataxes Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:05 pm

According to baseball-reference.com, he was born 1/18/72, which would make him 41. So I find it interesting he's claiming to be 36. Was he trying to get a date with you? On the other hand, they also list him as 6'0"/170, which would be small for a big league catcher, so maybe they got his birthdate wrong too.

Anyway, speaking of playing with ex-jocks, about six months ago I played with a former fullback for the Bears who rolled up about 4,000 yds. rushing in the NFL. He was about 6'2"/225, and he shot 78. Main thing about him, though, was his unloquacity. Only thing he said to me all day was, "Am I away?" I thought he was rude. Maybe it's a Stanford thing.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:25 pm

He probably said he retired at 36 or something like that. I wasn't holding onto every word like it was gospel. I think the truth is that most people on this forum would have been star struck and choked and that's why they are making these assumptions. I treated him like any other guy and didn't feel an ounce of envy or nerves. That's probably why he'd like to tee it up again the next time he's in my area. That's the truth, Ruth.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:29 pm

FamousDavis wrote:He probably said he retired at 36 or something like that. I wasn't holding onto every word like it was gospel. I think the truth is that most people on this forum would have been star struck and choked and that's why they are making these assumptions. I treated him like any other guy and didn't feel an ounce of envy or nerves. That's probably why he'd like to tee it up again the next time he's in my area. That's the truth, Ruth.

As long as he could keep up and not be an idiot, wouldn't care if it was Michael Moore or Michael Jordan. Wait! One I would play with and maybe put up with a little bit of shit but the other I would piss in his golf bag.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

On The Course - Round Report - Page 2 Empty Finally broke 80 (again)

Post  Kiwigolfer Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:35 pm

I must admit my golf has been in the doldrums the past couple of years and it's ages since last time I cracked 80. I feel like my game has kind of regressed. Five years ago I was still a relative noobie who was working towards being a more consistent single figure golfer. I have virtually given up on that idea and my cap has hovered between 11 and 14 most of that time.

This summer has been a pretty disrupted one with a lot of weekends away and a lot of travel so I haven't played as much golf as usual this year. Anyway I arrive early yesterday and decided to hit a bucket pre round. I figured out a couple of things and was striping them pretty nicely. First two holes I come up short with my approaches after good tee shots and third hole my (otherwise good) drive leaks slightly right and ends up hard against a tree trunk. Evil or Very Mad

So I'm 3 over through 3 holes and thinking this is going to be another lousy high eighties/low nineties sort of day. Then something clicked and I par all the remaining holes bar no.7 which I bogie for a 4 over 41 front 9. I then bogie 11 and par every other hole in the back 9 for 36 and a gross score of 77. No birdies at all and although I was on the GIR often none of them were great birdie chances. Towards the end, realising I was having a good round it became a bit of a chokefest with my putter and I started leaving everything short. Luckily no three putts though and I was somehow keeping it together with my full swing. It's funny how some days everything just clicks and on other holes you get lucky. On ten, a par 3, I pulled my tee shot left of the green then shanked the chip to the front fringe leaving myself a 30-40 footer. An up and down I could easily screw up for a double but instead I drain the putt for a 3.

Playing again today. It will be interesting to see if I have another good day or whether yesterday was just a one off aberration.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:54 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:I must admit my golf has been in the doldrums the past couple of years and it's ages since last time I cracked 80. I feel like my game has kind of regressed. Five years ago I was still a relative noobie who was working towards being a more consistent single figure golfer. I have virtually given up on that idea and my cap has hovered between 11 and 14 most of that time.

This summer has been a pretty disrupted one with a lot of weekends away and a lot of travel so I haven't played as much golf as usual this year. Anyway I arrive early yesterday and decided to hit a bucket pre round. I figured out a couple of things and was striping them pretty nicely. First two holes I come up short with my approaches after good tee shots and third hole my (otherwise good) drive leaks slightly right and ends up hard against a tree trunk. Evil or Very Mad

So I'm 3 over through 3 holes and thinking this is going to be another lousy high eighties/low nineties sort of day. Then something clicked and I par all the remaining holes bar no.7 which I bogie for a 4 over 41 front 9. I then bogie 11 and par every other hole in the back 9 for 36 and a gross score of 77. No birdies at all and although I was on the GIR often none of them were great birdie chances. Towards the end, realising I was having a good round it became a bit of a chokefest with my putter and I started leaving everything short. Luckily no three putts though and I was somehow keeping it together with my full swing. It's funny how some days everything just clicks and on other holes you get lucky. On ten, a par 3, I pulled my tee shot left of the green then shanked the chip to the front fringe leaving myself a 30-40 footer. An up and down I could easily screw up for a double but instead I drain the putt for a 3.

Playing again today. It will be interesting to see if I have another good day or whether yesterday was just a one off aberration.
    IMO there is very little diference between high 70s and mid to high 80s in terms of ability, but luck plays a huge part. Ive had great ball striking days where putts havent dropped and had a couple of blow up holes to finish with a crap score, and some days when Ive hit 5 gir but got some breaks and scrambled well and shot a couple over. The first thing a golfer must accept to become a low marker is that golf is rarely a fair game, you need to ride the ups and downs.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:20 pm

My round on Saturday was a one off aberration. On Sunday I shot an 88!
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:58 am

Kiwigolfer wrote:My round on Saturday was a one off aberration. On Sunday I shot an 88!
    Proves my point
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:52 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:I must admit my golf has been in the doldrums the past couple of years and it's ages since last time I cracked 80. I feel like my game has kind of regressed. Five years ago I was still a relative noobie who was working towards being a more consistent single figure golfer. I have virtually given up on that idea and my cap has hovered between 11 and 14 most of that time.

The problem lies in the irons and your ego. You play Mizuno MP-68 semi-cavity back player's irons and they are way too much iron for you. This is not an uncommon occurrence amongst the fray of golfers who shoot mid-80's yet proclaim themselves 'players'. They have as much business carrying around forged irons as a garbage man does wearing an Armani suit.

I'm being a true friend here Kiwi. A real friend tells it like it is. You need to invest in some cavity-backed Ping irons.

Your friend, FD.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:45 pm

FamousDavis wrote:

The problem lies in the irons and your ego. You play Mizuno MP-68 semi-cavity back player's irons and they are way too much iron for you. This is not an uncommon occurrence amongst the fray of golfers who shoot mid-80's yet proclaim themselves 'players'. They have as much business carrying around forged irons as a garbage man does wearing an Armani suit.

I'm being a true friend here Kiwi. A real friend tells it like it is. You need to invest in some cavity-backed Ping irons.

Your friend, FD.

LOL - If that truly made a difference I would buy those Ping irons in a flash. Maybe I shouldn't be playing MP58's but a set of Ping shovels isn't going to make much difference. Are they suddenly going to help me hit more fairways, make more putts, knock my chips closer? My rescue clubs and chipping were the main culprits in my poor round on Sunday. I''ve played Ping shovels before and they were truly horrible in both looks and feel. I may go the GI route soon but they won't be Pings.

I might just put the R7 TP's back in the bag and see how they go. Wink
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:45 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:

Your friend, FD.

LOL - If that truly made a difference I would buy those Ping irons in a flash. Maybe I shouldn't be playing MP58's but a set of Ping shovels isn't going to make much difference. Are they suddenly going to help me hit more fairways, make more putts, knock my chips closer? My rescue clubs and chipping were the main culprits in my poor round on Sunday. I''ve played Ping shovels before and they were truly horrible in both looks and feel. I may go the GI route soon but they won't be Pings.

Dont listen to that shovel toting chopper kiwi, you have hit the nail on the head with your self diagnosis. The biggest determining factor on scoring imo is chipping and pitching. When I play with pros the starkest contrast inour games is the quality of their shots around the green. Driving and puttingare important, but if you cant consistently knock it close from around the green you wont score. I see plenty of old farts off low single figure caps who are no where near me in ball striking, but as soon as their ball gets hackedup to somewhere near the green they get up and down every time. High cap choppers also drop more shots from poor chipsor especially poor bunker shots than anything else. Im an ok chipper, but if I hadthe time to practise and get good, I woulbe scratch without improvement to any other part of my game. Good chipping and pitching could knock 4 shots off my cap easy, and probably closer to 10 off a high cap.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:49 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:

Your friend, FD.

I think the perfect set has GI in the long irons and CBs to blades in the short irons. For example, a good set for me would be Ping G25 3,4,5 and then Ping i20 6,7&8 and then S56 9, PW & GW. I love the forgiveness that a GI iron offers in the long irons but I hate the GI look for the short irons. If I'm holding a 9 iron in my hand I want to see a compact head with little to no offset. Conversely, if I have 200 yards to a par 3 I don't mind looking down at a GI 3 iron. In fact, I kind of like that look when I'm that far away from the hole.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:18 am

The Mizuno mp58/59 is not as good as the mizuno mp68/69. I play the mp69's and they offer way more forgiveness then the mp59's. There's just something missing with the mp59's.

The ping wedges spin like crazy, far to much for me to control distance with. The use of more forgiving long irons.....is just unforgivable... disappointed
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:33 am

MP59's work great for me. They are a little harsher feeling than my previous MP32's, but not in a bad way. They feel more like Titleist blades.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:57 am

Player wrote:
    Dont listen to that shovel toting chopper kiwi, you have hit the nail on the head with your self diagnosis. The biggest determining factor on scoring imo is chipping and pitching. When I play with pros the starkest contrast inour games is the quality of their shots around the green. Driving and puttingare important, but if you cant consistently knock it close from around the green you wont score. I see plenty of old farts off low single figure caps who are no where near me in ball striking, but as soon as their ball gets hackedup to somewhere near the green they get up and down every time. High cap choppers also drop more shots from poor chipsor especially poor bunker shots than anything else. Im an ok chipper, but if I hadthe time to practise and get good, I woulbe scratch without improvement to any other part of my game. Good chipping and pitching could knock 4 shots off my cap easy, and probably closer to 10 off a high cap.

Couple months ago an old man (72?) called in the Golf Channel and asked Micheal Breed (sp?) a few questions, something like this:

- How can I increase my driver's distance
    _ What is your distance now?, Micheal asked
    - About 210-215
    - Well I could give you hints/tips to increase maybe 10 yrd max, Micheal said, BTW, what is your cap?
    - Hmmmmm, I play to 3-cap
    - Wow, that's great, Micheal said, how is your up and down?
    - Well, about 75% of the time
    (there was a silence... end of story)
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:59 am

Today is April 21st, one day after "stoner day."

I have yet to pick up a club this spring.

This could possibly be it. I seem to be finished with a game that I took up in 1959.

I have no idea what happened over the winter, but it probably happened prematurely. I'm only 66 years old.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:27 pm

And one day after the birthday of Adolf Hitler. Who was also a stoner but preferred uppers to downers like weed.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:27 am

Yesterday's company league was awful!
    I left work at 3pm at 62* and sunny. By the time I got to the course, which is along the south shore and great south bay, the fog/clouds were rolling in and the temp dropped to a chilly 52*. Combine that with a 15mph wind off the ocean......Brrrrr.
    Nobody could get warm. I bundled up with everything I had. 2 shirts, fleece jacket and windbreaker. Hat should of had built in ear-muffs! I had to break out both winter gloves.
    Shots were getting blown all over the place. The greens were freshly airated and sanded, combined with the gusting winds, the ball did weird things on the greens. Still, I was putting well. When I hit the par3 8th, over a lake, I was so stiff, I topped it into the water. The homebound 9th was sooo fogged in, you couldn't see the clubhouse. It was a chore to finish the final hole.
    Wound up with a 44, which was one of the best scores of the day!
    Just miserable!

The best part was my hot-tub when I got home. Stayed in for half an hour! Today I can't move!!!!
    Getting old sucks! Mad Mad Mad Mad
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:26 am

jmtbkr wrote:Yesterday's company league was awful!
    I left work at 3pm at 62* and sunny. By the time I got to the course, which is along the south shore and great south bay, the fog/clouds were rolling in and the temp dropped to a chilly 52*. Combine that with a 15mph wind off the ocean......Brrrrr.
    Nobody could get warm. I bundled up with everything I had. 2 shirts, fleece jacket and windbreaker. Hat should of had built in ear-muffs! I had to break out both winter gloves.
    Shots were getting blown all over the place. The greens were freshly airated and sanded, combined with the gusting winds, the ball did weird things on the greens. Still, I was putting well. When I hit the par3 8th, over a lake, I was so stiff, I topped it into the water. The homebound 9th was sooo fogged in, you couldn't see the clubhouse. It was a chore to finish the final hole.
    Wound up with a 44, which was one of the best scores of the day!
    Just miserable!

The best part was my hot-tub when I got home. Stayed in for half an hour! Today I can't move!!!!
    Getting old sucks! Mad Mad Mad Mad

a 150m 3wood chip couldve been your best friend....
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:34 pm

I had a round scheduled today at 9:15am so I went to the range first to warm up. The Callaway X-24 Hot irons with stock steel shafts (Uniflex) arrived this week so I decided to try them out. These clubs feel fantastic. It's a much different feel than past X-series offerings, with more of a crisp feel. Also, the stock steel shaft wasn't nearly as whippy and gave the ball a perfect trajectory.

On the course, I hit 14 of 18 greens in reg and had several putts for birdie and missed all but one. Still, I shot 75 (with 2 three putts and a double). The long irons are silly easy to hit without ballooning. I think they added about 5 yards to every shot. I like the black finish but I can tell it's going to wear off of the face and sole eventually.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:52 am

FamousDavis wrote:I had a round scheduled today at 9:15am so I went to the range first to warm up. The Callaway X-24 Hot irons with stock steel shafts (Uniflex) arrived this week so I decided to try them out. These clubs feel fantastic. It's a much different feel than past X-series offerings, with more of a crisp feel. Also, the stock steel shaft wasn't nearly as whippy and gave the ball a perfect trajectory.

On the course, I hit 14 of 18 greens in reg and had several putts for birdie and missed all but one. Still, I shot 75 (with 2 three putts and a double). The long irons are silly easy to hit without ballooning. I think they added about 5 yards to every shot. I like the black finish but I can tell it's going to wear off of the face and sole eventually.

You should have never gotten rid of those X20's Razz Razz

X24's are great clubs. Just an updated cosmetic change from the 20's tho.....

I still love my 20's. Always consistant and great feeling. I've been thinking I may ship them back to NY and send the Adams down south. Or maybe just ho another X20 set cheers
    SoonerBS
    SoonerBS

Post  SoonerBS Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:39 pm

I have golfed one whole round in the last 3 months. I am ashamed. That will soon change though as I have settled into a new job in a new location of the state. I have mostly been unable to play due to weather. Ever since January, we have been hit with snow storms almost every week . . . . even in April! I got in a round last week and was very rusty on the front nine, but played two over on the back. I am still playing my Mizuno JPX clubs. I am a member at my new course and still learning the differences. It is not as nice of a course, but it might eventually be better as it is under new management and management is already making some positive changes for the betterment of the course. I will soon be back to my 3 to 4 times a week golfing and will likely dazzle you guys with my knowledge.

On The Course - Round Report - Page 2 Golf2

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 7:50 am