The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+20
jmtbkr
Kiwigolfer
FreakOfNature
Horseballs
FamousDavis
rooteen
The Ghost of FD
BBQpig
Hubijerk
The Doctor
corythepagan
Lorenzzo
Big Dave
Poe4soul
SoonerBS
californiataxes
Player
12pierogi
Fluffy
Lord Helmet
24 posters

On The Course - Round Report

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

On The Course - Round Report Empty On The Course - Round Report

Post  FamousDavis Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:45 pm

Let me know if you think this thread should remain a sticky. I miss hearing about people's latest rounds of golf.

My latest was a 75 that I shot at Torrey Pines. I'm turning my hips more on the backswing and slightly lifting my left foot off the ground. It's made all the difference in the world in terms of distance, accuracy and scoring. It's also easier on my back. I have not hit the ball this solid in quite some time. On The Course - Round Report Smiley-shocked016
    Lord Helmet
    Lord Helmet

On The Course - Round Report Empty Re: On The Course - Round Report

Post  Lord Helmet Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:31 pm

FamousDavis wrote:Let me know if you think this thread should remain a sticky. I miss hearing about people's latest rounds of golf.

My latest was a 75 that I shot at Torrey Pines. I'm turning my hips more on the backswing and slightly lifting my left foot off the ground. It's made all the difference in the world in terms of distance, accuracy and scoring. It's also easier on my back. I have not hit the ball this solid in quite some time. On The Course - Round Report Smiley-shocked016

So Im guessing you have had the requisite 4,000 lessons in slo-mo to ingrain this?
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:25 am

This easter weekend I will only play one round of golf....Next weekend our club championships start and I have been messing around on the golf course too much. I am busy studying to keep my mind of the golf and since i need a few exams behind my name for reasons other then golf
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:39 am

My only round worth reporting in AZ was a 2 over 73 at a course called Eagle Mountain. Strange round, because I got a couple of unusually bad breaks, but a couple unusually good breaks.
    On the very first hole, I destroy a drive down the middle and have 215 left down a hill on a par 5. My ball was a bit muddy, but I certainly didn't think anything of it. I hit a 4 iron that felt just a bit thin and the ball knuckles and takes a right turn into the desert. I take an unplayable from there and make 6.
    On the back 9, I hit a great drive on a tough driving hole and have about 100 yards or so to the front, with a desert ravine in front. I watch the guy behind me hit a very soft shot and see the wind blow his ball to the back of the green. When my ball is in the air, the wind switches and my ball hits the face of the ravine. I was able to play my third, but couldn't save a par.
    I also hit the stick on a pitch that would have rolled out twice as far.
    The biggest lucky shot was my second to a par 4 from about 70 yards. The ball is way above my feet and the pin is back. I decide to play a chippy shot with my 52 and absolutely skull it. It rolls way off the green, up a hill, into the desert, then rolls back down to less than a foot.
    I also pull hooked a shot on a par 4 that wound up cutting a corner and leaving about 60 yards. Everyone else hit regular shots and had at least 150.
    On 18, after a poor drive, I played a punch-cut 7 iron that finished 6 inches.
    Good day, but I only won 4 skins because I played with a bunch of high handicap choppers who stroke on every hole.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:09 am

Mongrel's First Golf Commandment: Do not ever play Skins on a net basis unless you are the one with the highesst handicap,
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:18 am

Mostly German wrote:Mongrel's First Golf Commandment: Do not ever play Skins on a net basis unless you are the one with the highesst handicap,
    I don't mind when my par ties or loses to their tie. I do mind when my birdie ties their par. And honestly, I don't mind playing at a disadvantage in money games against my friends. Nothing is going to break the bank and we all shake hands at the end.

On a different round in AZ, there was a 235 yard par 3, dead down wind with the greens pretty firm. I'm up first, and decide to hit a 5 iron as high as possible. It came off perfectly and I made about a 15 footer for the birdie. Another dude hits a skanky shot short and left and ends making a par from outside my birdie. That one pissed me off.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:34 pm

First time out around the home front, walked a local goatrack that drags people from everywhere.
    Walked 9 rode 9 Easter Sunday blew 2, 9 hole rounds in the 30s, such an easy game.

I'm sore from that. The last drive was 290 straight down the left side of the fairway. Flat as a flitter.

God I love these R9 drivers, this 8.5 R9 is da bomber. These dudes were whispering he hits it like John Daley, I flash them my Daley Lion headcover.
    The S3 pros are so soft it's surreal. I love the combo so far, almost seamless. The 3 iron with a Monaco shaft went 206 pin high on a par 3 into the wind, on a 60 degree day.. Damn

My putting suked, but I lagged them somewhat close. I left everything short. Dropped some barely.

I think I need a new putter, that 12 sandwich yes putter is still on the radar.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:53 pm

I haven't started to hit balls yet. In fact, I haven't seen my "gamer" bag since I put it away in the fall. I'll know when I'm ready, but it isn't now.

Maybe the Masters will stir things up a bit, but as a purist, I still consider it a fake major. It's an invitational, and it's not for the championship of anything. But it's a good field on a unique course and fun to watch.

Last edited by trombettista_vecchio on Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:49 am

trombettista_vecchio wrote:I haven't started to hit balls yet. In fact, I haven't seen my "gamer" bag since I put it away in the fall. I'll know when I'm ready, but it isn't now.

Maybe the Masters will stir things up a bit, but as a purist, I still consider it a fake major. It's an invitational, and it's not for the championship of anything. But it's a good field on a unique course and fun to watch.

If you're a purist then you couldn't possibly think the Masters is a fake major. For one thing, the winner is almost always one of the top players in the world (of course there are exceptions so don't latch onto those) whereas the US Open often has a winner that never wins any other events for the rest of his career. If you ask me, the biggest joke of a major is the US Open. There's always some no name amateur near the top of the leaderboard along with a bunch of other no names who happen to be hitting it straight that week. Last year that funny looking high school kid was at the top of the leaderboard for awhile. I doubt if we ever hear of him again.

Meanwhile, the Masters has been won multiple times by all the greats of the game. It may be an invitational but all the top players from around the world are playing in it. There's nobody playing in the Masters who doesn't play in the US Open.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:25 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    trombettista_vecchio wrote:I haven't started to hit balls yet. In fact, I haven't seen my "gamer" bag since I put it away in the fall. I'll know when I'm ready, but it isn't now.

If you're a purist then you couldn't possibly think the Masters is a fake major. For one thing, the winner is almost always one of the top players in the world (of course there are exceptions so don't latch onto those) whereas the US Open often has a winner that never wins any other events for the rest of his career. If you ask me, the biggest joke of a major is the US Open. There's always some no name amateur near the top of the leaderboard along with a bunch of other no names who happen to be hitting it straight that week. Last year that funny looking high school kid was at the top of the leaderboard for awhile. I doubt if we ever hear of him again.

Meanwhile, the Masters has been won multiple times by all the greats of the game. It may be an invitational but all the top players from around the world are playing in it. There's nobody playing in the Masters who doesn't play in the US Open.
    If you drink the nbc jim nantz kool aid you may think the masters is a legit major, but if you have any golfing instincts you would see it for what it is, a slickly marketed but contrived piss ant invitational. All the hype in the world cant hide that it isnt areal championship, and is not run by a sanctioning body. The staged tradition and geen jacket and champions dinner doesnt give it tradition. You think any purists would want to be a member of that crummy snobatorium? If they suddenly took away the wrongly bestowed major status nobody would turn up. The only real majors are the Opens, they are the true major championships.
    Having said that I admit I have imbibed a little too much kool aid myself and love watching the drama unfold on the sunday back nine, the marketing machine has no doubt done a fantastic job with this event. But in the cold light of day I do not rate the winners as real major champions. Only a golfing luddite would think the masters is a major.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:35 pm

Player wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:

If you drink the nbc jim nantz kool aid you may think the masters is a legit major, but if you have any golfing instincts you would see it for what it is, a slickly marketed but contrived piss ant invitational. All the hype in the world cant hide that it isnt areal championship, and is not run by a sanctioning body. The staged tradition and geen jacket and champions dinner doesnt give it tradition. You think any purists would want to be a member of that crummy snobatorium? If they suddenly took away the wrongly bestowed major status nobody would turn up. The only real majors are the Opens, they are the true major championships

Real golfers understand that the Masters is the major that reveals who the best in the world is. All of the golf writers agree with this. Who cares if it's an invitational if all the best golfers are invited? The US Open has local, regional and then final qualifying. Who cares? None of those people ever come close to winning anyway. Who cares if some amateur who won the Fiddletown City Amateur is teeing off at 6:45AM Friday morning of the US Open? Nobody, that's who.

On the other hand, I find it interesting to watch someone like Tom Watson at Augusta.

I don't care about some PGA Tour Pro who got lucky and qualified for the US Open who will shoot 88 and 92 the first two days and then drive home in his '88 Buick.

Augusta has class and style. I like the stuffiness of it and the fact they told Martha Burke to go mow the lawn with her cohorts, if you know what I mean.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:26 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    Player wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:

If you drink the nbc jim nantz kool aid you may think the masters is a legit major, but if you have any golfing instincts you would see it for what it is, a slickly marketed but contrived piss ant invitational. All the hype in the world cant hide that it isnt areal championship, and is not run by a sanctioning body. The staged tradition and geen jacket and champions dinner doesnt give it tradition. You think any purists would want to be a member of that crummy snobatorium? If they suddenly took away the wrongly bestowed major status nobody would turn up. The only real majors are the Opens, they are the true major championships

Real golfers understand that the Masters is the major that reveals who the best in the world is. All of the golf writers agree with this. Who cares if it's an invitational if all the best golfers are invited? The US Open has local, regional and then final qualifying. Who cares? None of those people ever come close to winning anyway. Who cares if some amateur who won the Fiddletown City Amateur is teeing off at 6:45AM Friday morning of the US Open? Nobody, that's who.

On the other hand, I find it interesting to watch someone like Tom Watson at Augusta.

I don't care about some PGA Tour Pro who got lucky and qualified for the US Open who will shoot 88 and 92 the first two days and then drive home in his '88 Buick.

Augusta has class and style. I like the stuffiness of it and the fact they told Martha Burke to go mow the lawn with her cohorts, if you know what I mean.
    So you think 80 year old has beens who take up a spot but cant even finish 18 holes is a major championship? The champion golfer of the season is t he winner of the Open, although it could be argued that te US Open is of equal quality. Give up while you are behind chump.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:17 pm

I'll admit that I have no use for Georgia and, let's be honest, all of red state America. But if the Masters were played at Brookline or Newport or Shinnecock Hills, i.e., in civilization, it would still not be a major.

It's a matter of language, not golf. A championship has to be the legitimate championship of something real. The Masters is not the championship of anything. It's a stuffy private party conceived by the southern aristocratic amateur Bobby Jones, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's a great tournament, but it's not a major championship by any standard of legitimacy. It's the men's version of the Colgate Nabisco Dinah Shore Kraft whatever they call it now, presently being played at Mission Hills--but sadly, without the tits and ass.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:54 am

I played yesterday. Windy but a sunny 65 degrees. Still crushing the tee shots, though I do have a tendancy to hit slight pull hooks if I'm not careful. I had a few really stupid short game shots that cost me strokes and our greens are still recovering from aeration. Not that this is a good excuse, but I'm a "spot putter" and I struggle like hell when there are a million spots on the greens. I had 4 three-putts.
    Overall, I'm pretty happy with my start to the season. I feel like I'm effortlessly hitting the ball long and straight. Putting a short game will come around.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:11 am

trombettista_vecchio wrote:I'll admit that I have no use for Georgia and, let's be honest, all of red state America. But if the Masters were played at Brookline or Newport or Shinnecock Hills, i.e., in civilization, it would still not be a major.

It's a matter of language, not golf. A championship has to be the legitimate championship of something real. The Masters is not the championship of anything. It's a stuffy private party conceived by the southern aristocratic amateur Bobby Jones, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's a great tournament, but it's not a major championship by any standard of legitimacy. It's the men's version of the Colgate Nabisco Dinah Shore Kraft whatever they call it now, presently being played at Mission Hills--but sadly, without the tits and ass.

If you watch the Masters on the Tube, you will see plenty of tits and asses. Its just that most of the tits sag approaching the navels and the asses are wide enough to categorize as "Two Trippers." That is, when someone tells her to "haul ass"' she has to make two trips.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

On The Course - Round Report Empty Back from my tournament

Post  FamousDavis Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:44 am

Well, now I'm back from my 2-day amateur tournament that was held in Solvang, CA. Very cool place to visit. Too long of a drive, though, as it took me 5 hours to get there and 7 hours to return. LA traffic sucks.

The first day the winds made it close to unplayable. 35 to 40 MPH. I shot 85 the first day for a net 80. I hit it terrible and made all kinds of stupid mistakes. Surprisingly my score was middle of the pack.

The second day was pretty cool because in the cart with me I was paired with Michael Lieberthal who is a former MLB catcher who played for the Phillies and Dodgers for 14 years. I didn't even know who he was until I asked him what he did for a living and he told me on the 14th hole. He's 36 and retired now. Must be nice. Very nice guy who looked exactly what you picture as a baseball player.

The second thing about this guy and another guy in our group is that they hit the ball longer than anyone I had played with before. Lieberthal hit is 300 in the air and I'm not exaggerating. This other guy was about 6-4, had an odd takeaway but hit it even farther. On some holes I was 60 yards behind them. They go for every Par 5 in two and usually get there. On one 495 yard Par 5 they had 160 yards to the green.

I played better on the 2nd day but not much. I hate the fact that I don't swing freely from the get go. Nerves.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:27 pm

Any professional baseball player will be able to hit the golf ball a long way. Because those who rise through the ranks of the minors through their hitting prowess all have the fastest "fast twitch" muscles. And being a catcher, he will have to have had a powerful lower body. I remember him when he played for the Phillies which was my team when I was a boy growing up outside the city. Tommy La Sorda was popular up there too since he was from Norristown, not too far away from our farm. Tommy went to the same high school my mother graduated from. Much later, though.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:20 am

I Also had my club champs the last weekend, But had a exam the following monday which took priority.
    This coming weekend I will have the next two rounds.

Saterday Afternoon 78:
    First 9 shot a 35. ALL my shots for GIR was within 10meters of the flag,even if it might have been off the green.Chipping and putting good.
    Second nine shot a 43, which included a triple bogey(feel a little unlucky as I hit a branch 50meter from green twice after each other on a short pitch,The branch being 3 inches thick and the only overhanging one.) The triple I feel was my fault nontheless, But I had about 6 putts that just died or broke the other way after one of my partners putts did the complete opposite(Late Afternoon POA) Nothing one can do there.I three putted a 2meter eagle putt,as both times the putt lipped out of the cup at a 90degree angle. Followed with 3 putts thereafter on next holes with also the lip outs.

Sunday Morning:
    Second 9 first shot a 39: The previous day's hole where I had a Triple I made birdie,hitting my 2nd shot on the par 5 within 2 meters. The rest of the holes I was withing 10meters of the pin on every GIR shot.Drove 1 par 4 but 3 putted due to a aggresive eagle putt and lippout birdie putt. Felt robbed by 2 putts that came up short just after the greens had been cut this morning(POA)

First 9 second a 43: Started off with 3 meter birdie putt,missed,got par. 2nd hole my game crumbled......Short par4 where the teebox was moved to ladies tee about 230meters from green. Thats long iron shot for me. having two bunkers gaurding the green I didnt want to be short,but coming back from behind the green would also be difficult.Slight dogleg right made me question the distance as I was hitting iron into the green. They measuered all the par3's to the pin with rangefinder,but NOT this short par4 of around 230m. Anyway I decided to play for 210 with a slight draw to make sure I get to 210m. hit the perfect 3iron straight at the flag but it goes over the green. Duffed chip after being so cute and i threw in my hat after a 5 on a short par4 which wasnt measuered correctly. After 11 holes I was pissed off beyond believe and decided I cant be angry for my studies the following day as it would putt me off while studying. the last 7 holes I played without cleaning my ball,lining up putts taking practise shots bogey,double,par,double,bogey,par,par.

So I am 16 over par after two rounds going into this weekend with another pending exam next week... I am estimating a "dont-give-a-shit-round" of around 72-76 this weekend and a even more "dont-give-a-shit-round" on Sunday of around 70-74 I play better golf when I dont care.

it's alot easier to make a "dont-give-a-shit" Bogey then it is to make a concentrated unluck Bogey.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:00 am

To justify the bad putting our club held 2 corporate golf days the Thursday & Friday with 380 playing over those two days.... Our greens were full of incorrectly fixed pitchmarks
    FreakOfNature
    FreakOfNature

Post  FreakOfNature Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:06 am

FamousDavis wrote:Well, now I'm back from my 2-day amateur tournament that was held in Solvang, CA. Very cool place to visit. Too long of a drive, though, as it took me 5 hours to get there and 7 hours to return. LA traffic sucks.

The first day the winds made it close to unplayable. 35 to 40 MPH. I shot 85 the first day for a net 80. I hit it terrible and made all kinds of stupid mistakes. Surprisingly my score was middle of the pack.

The second day was pretty cool because in the cart with me I was paired with Michael Lieberthal who is a former MLB catcher who played for the Phillies and Dodgers for 14 years. I didn't even know who he was until I asked him what he did for a living and he told me on the 14th hole. He's 36 and retired now. Must be nice. Very nice guy who looked exactly what you picture as a baseball player.

The second thing about this guy and another guy in our group is that they hit the ball longer than anyone I had played with before. Lieberthal hit is 300 in the air and I'm not exaggerating. This other guy was about 6-4, had an odd takeaway but hit it even farther. On some holes I was 60 yards behind them. They go for every Par 5 in two and usually get there. On one 495 yard Par 5 they had 160 yards to the green.

I played better on the 2nd day but not much. I hate the fact that I don't swing freely from the get go. Nerves.

Sounds like it was tough out there. Sorry about the score... but at least you got to meet and play with some cool folks.

Now you know how you'd feel if you ever played a round with me, cuz I'd make those musclebound geeks look like effeminate pansies. You don't want any of this, old man. I'm so long I make horses tear up. tongue

That guy who is supposedly not really a hacker needs to take some notes on how to trash talk properly. I shouldn't be too hard on him though, he's pretty abrasive... for an herbivore. Laughing

Seriously though FD, any of us would have been intimidated playing with a former pro athlete, there's no shame in that. You did pretty well, all things considered. If ever there was an 85 to be proud of... Smile
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:03 am

FreakOfNature wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:Well, now I'm back from my 2-day amateur tournament that was held in Solvang, CA. Very cool place to visit. Too long of a drive, though, as it took me 5 hours to get there and 7 hours to return. LA traffic sucks.

Sounds like it was tough out there. Sorry about the score... but at least you got to meet and play with some cool folks.

Now you know how you'd feel if you ever played a round with me, cuz I'd make those musclebound geeks look like effeminate pansies. You don't want any of this, old man. I'm so long I make horses tear up. tongue

That guy who is supposedly not really a hacker needs to take some notes on how to trash talk properly. I shouldn't be too hard on him though, he's pretty abrasive... for an herbivore. Laughing

Seriously though FD, any of us would have been intimidated playing with a former pro athlete, there's no shame in that. You did pretty well, all things considered. If ever there was an 85 to be proud of... Smile

I must say. There's nothing better then someone assuming you cant hit far, then they are actually monster hitters, UNTILL ITs MY TURN....

As for intimidation....It only works if one idolizes these people.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:40 am

A lot of really long players aren't very good. I play with a few people who are legitimate bombers, but they make a lot of stupid mistakes, mostly by playing too aggressively off the tee. I could probably save them 3 or 4 shots per round if I could caddy for them.

I watch my head pro play, and there is a dude who has it figured out. He hits it long enough, but rarely lets one fly. He plays a baby fade on all positional tee shots, and a baby draw on all max distance tee shots. He also never overswings his irons, often hitting 2 more clubs than me, but his consistency is amazing. His 3 iron is as straight as his 8 iron. I always have to fight the urge to overswing as I move up the bag.
    FreakOfNature
    FreakOfNature

Post  FreakOfNature Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:56 am

Fluffy wrote:
    FreakOfNature wrote:

I must say. There's nothing better then someone assuming you cant hit far, then they are actually monster hitters, UNTILL ITs MY TURN....

As for intimidation....It only works if one idolizes these people.

The thing is though - you're a HUGE guy and obviously look like you can hit it for miles... I'm just a little 5'11" 185lb squirt who can occasionally blow it by you. Smile

The intimidation of playing with someone famous is real though - you know in your gut that if you got to play a round with Tiger you'd shoot 20 over your handicap. We all would, and that's nothing to be ashamed about. FD played in the same group as a long hitting former pro baseball player. The guy was on US TV 4 times a week for 16 years. Yeah, it's not surprising FD got a bit intimidated... and the guy could really smash it too.

Nerves are the achilles heel of lots of really good amateur players. That's why we're not pros. That's why Bobby Jones never turned pro. It bites the best of us. You're just not seasoned enough to feel it yet, but trust me - you will. That or you'll make it as a pro and then you have to throw a huge party with everyone from Caddyshack. I'll warn you I drink like a fish and smoke like a chimney. Laughing

I was fearless and unflappable like you once. The nerves go to sh!t over time. Expect it. It's a rare day where you feel comfortable hitting the ball, everything is a compensation in some minute way. It takes a toll. Don't get me wrong - the game is still fun and I still take risks like a drunken sailor... but it does become more difficult to maintain composure and play within yourself as you age, and especially if your skills are in decline. It isn't easy for anyone to admit to themselves that their best days are behind them. Those of us who are hovering around 40 are dealing with that dilemma every day, and I'm sure FD is confronted by that as well. He's still a great player and can post great scores - it's just more difficult to maintain composure around our age. BTW he's 6 years older than me so he's a real geezer by comparison. Just had to throw that out there.

I'm actually gaining an appreciation for how the old guys on here play the game. As much as I love to rib them for being shortknockers, I understand and respect the way they've persevered through their decline and found a way to take what they still have and enjoy the game. I admire that kind of attitude. We can still learn a lot from those old farts.
    FreakOfNature
    FreakOfNature

Post  FreakOfNature Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:17 am

Horseballs wrote:A lot of really long players aren't very good. I play with a few people who are legitimate bombers, but they make a lot of stupid mistakes, mostly by playing too aggressively off the tee. I could probably save them 3 or 4 shots per round if I could caddy for them.

I watch my head pro play, and there is a dude who has it figured out. He hits it long enough, but rarely lets one fly. He plays a baby fade on all positional tee shots, and a baby draw on all max distance tee shots. He also never overswings his irons, often hitting 2 more clubs than me, but his consistency is amazing. His 3 iron is as straight as his 8 iron. I always have to fight the urge to overswing as I move up the bag.

This is so true, and it actually pisses me off a bit when people say things like "well if you hit it so far, why aren't you on the Tour?", because it makes no sense. I have the worst short game of any long bomber EVER, except for putting which is what keeps me in the mid 70's. It's like I'm allergic to 3 putts, I go rounds and rounds without any. But just like you say - I take risks that don't make sense on a regular basis. Some days I'm driving well and I'll pull off the shots - others I suck off the tee but I play the same way anyways. If I played golf the way most of you guys play, I'd probably be a 2 or 3 handicap. I just can't bring myself to not try risky/dumb things, even though I should know better by now. I've played this game for over 25 years... I should know better. I just can't help myself, I'm seriously just like Tin Cup, except minus the dumb redneck thing. I may be a redneck but I'm not dumb. Just cocky and stubborn. Laughing
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:56 am

I'm probably top 5 in distance at my course, but nowhere near what I would consider "bomber." I've actually had to train myself to not be stupid. There are several holes at the SPCC that could be shortened by cranking driver (though usually with some sort of draw or fade), that I now just play for position. Honestly, if a hole is 365, what do I really gain by hitting driver? I'm not reaching it and 3 wood or hybrid still likely leaves a PW or less. At the SPCC, I don't hit a driver until hole 5, which I shouldn't hit driver but do because I don't want to go into #6 cold.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 6:48 pm