The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+20
jmtbkr
Kiwigolfer
FreakOfNature
Horseballs
FamousDavis
rooteen
The Ghost of FD
BBQpig
Hubijerk
The Doctor
corythepagan
Lorenzzo
Big Dave
Poe4soul
SoonerBS
californiataxes
Player
12pierogi
Fluffy
Lord Helmet
24 posters

On The Course - Round Report

Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

On The Course - Round Report - Page 3 Empty Re: On The Course - Round Report

Post  Kiwigolfer Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:56 pm

SoonerBS wrote:I have golfed one whole round in the last 3 months. I am ashamed. That will soon change though as I have settled into a new job in a new location of the state. I have mostly been unable to play due to weather. Ever since January, we have been hit with snow storms almost every week . . . . even in April! I got in a round last week and was very rusty on the front nine, but played two over on the back. I am still playing my Mizuno JPX clubs. I am a member at my new course and still learning the differences. It is not as nice of a course, but it might eventually be better as it is under new management and management is already making some positive changes for the betterment of the course. I will soon be back to my 3 to 4 times a week golfing and will likely dazzle you guys with my knowledge.

On The Course - Round Report - Page 3 Golf2

Put the MP67's in the bag and you'll be dazzling us much sooner BS. Trying to get your game back toting those cast, oversize, super game improvement chopper shovels will be an exercise in futility and will take many months or even years to improve. You of all people should know this. disappointed
    SoonerBS
    SoonerBS

Post  SoonerBS Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:05 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:
    SoonerBS wrote:I have golfed one whole round in the last 3 months. I am ashamed. That will soon change though as I have settled into a new job in a new location of the state. I have mostly been unable to play due to weather. Ever since January, we have been hit with snow storms almost every week . . . . even in April! I got in a round last week and was very rusty on the front nine, but played two over on the back. I am still playing my Mizuno JPX clubs. I am a member at my new course and still learning the differences. It is not as nice of a course, but it might eventually be better as it is under new management and management is already making some positive changes for the betterment of the course. I will soon be back to my 3 to 4 times a week golfing and will likely dazzle you guys with my knowledge.

On The Course - Round Report - Page 3 Golf2

Put the MP67's in the bag and you'll be dazzling us much sooner BS. Trying to get your game back toting those cast, oversize, super game improvement chopper shovels will be an exercise in futility and will take many months or even years to improve. You of all people should know this. disappointed

I sleep with my 67s. We are still intimate, I assure you.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:08 pm

After a five month layoff during which I might have swung a club for a total of 1 hour max, went out today at the local muni which just opened up this morning. Shot an 88 which I am ok with. Short game was pretty good, just had a hard time getting to the green.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:22 am

This weekend was one of those taunting unlucky rounds. Played Saterday.Started Par Par: 3rd hole I have 150meters in on the middle of the fairway. Hit 9iron as this is my 150meter club....Get a flier that ended 30meters over the green..... I lost it thereafter.Shot a 77. Played yesterday.hit every green in regulation shot within 10meters of the pin,even may it be in the bunker.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:56 am

FamousDavis wrote:
    Fluffy wrote:This weekend was one of those taunting unlucky rounds. Played Saterday.Started Par Par: 3rd hole I have 150meters in on the middle of the fairway. Hit 9iron as this is my 150meter club....Get a flier that ended 30meters over the green..... I lost it thereafter.Shot a 77. Played yesterday.hit every green in regulation shot within 10meters of the pin,even may it be in the bunker.

When I see a golfer like yourself preoccupied with distance and hitting it long, I think of a quote from Shawshank Redemption by Morgan Freeman (Red):

There's not a day goes by I don't feel regret for the way I used to play the game. Not because I'm in here, or because you think I should. I look back on the way I was then: a young, stupid kid who committed that terrible crime of trying to hit the ball long. I want to talk to him. I want to try and talk some sense to him, tell him the way things are. But I can't. That kid's long gone and this old man is all that's left. I got to live with that. Rehabilitated? It's just a bullshit word. So you go on and stamp your scorecard, sonny, and stop wasting my time. Because to tell you the truth, I don't give a shit.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Wed May 01, 2013 3:19 am

FamousDavis wrote:I had a round scheduled today at 9:15am so I went to the range first to warm up. The Callaway X-24 Hot irons with stock steel shafts (Uniflex) arrived this week so I decided to try them out. These clubs feel fantastic. It's a much different feel than past X-series offerings, with more of a crisp feel. Also, the stock steel shaft wasn't nearly as whippy and gave the ball a perfect trajectory.

On the course, I hit 14 of 18 greens in reg and had several putts for birdie and missed all but one. Still, I shot 75 (with 2 three putts and a double). The long irons are silly easy to hit without ballooning. I think they added about 5 yards to every shot. I like the black finish but I can tell it's going to wear off of the face and sole eventually.
    Unless they were seriously tough greens, 3 over is a pretty crap score for 14 GIR. If I hit even 10 GIR I go close to par, Ive never hit 14 in a round but If I did I woild be going under par for sure. Good score all the same but you must feel like you let a good chance slip.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Thu May 02, 2013 7:01 am

FamousDavis wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    Fluffy wrote:This weekend was one of those taunting unlucky rounds. Played Saterday.Started Par Par: 3rd hole I have 150meters in on the middle of the fairway. Hit 9iron as this is my 150meter club....Get a flier that ended 30meters over the green..... I lost it thereafter.Shot a 77. Played yesterday.hit every green in regulation shot within 10meters of the pin,even may it be in the bunker.

When I see a golfer like yourself preoccupied with distance and hitting it long, I think of a quote from Shawshank Redemption by Morgan Freeman (Red):

There's not a day goes by I don't feel regret for the way I used to play the game. Not because I'm in here, or because you think I should. I look back on the way I was then: a young, stupid kid who committed that terrible crime of trying to hit the ball long. I want to talk to him. I want to try and talk some sense to him, tell him the way things are. But I can't. That kid's long gone and this old man is all that's left. I got to live with that. Rehabilitated? It's just a bullshit word. So you go on and stamp your scorecard, sonny, and stop wasting my time. Because to tell you the truth, I don't give a shit.

You are mis informed sir...My 9iron goes 150m at the moment,but that used to be the distance of my 56degree SW... I've lost alot of distance trying to hit more straight. Must say it has worked, But I would still swop out another 20% of distance for an extra 20% more accuracy....I have a 115m 8iron shot,an 125m 7iron shot,a 150/155 6iron shot in the bag for accuracy and slight roll out fade's or draws... Yesterday I hit a 190meter 5iron which is my normal distance with a 3/4 shot expecting a flier and the other 1/4 was provided by the flier indeed....So the last thing I would mention is my distance.Putting would be the first:)
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Thu May 02, 2013 7:11 am

Fantastic weather yesterday! 65* and a slight breeze off the ocean.
    I was killin' my hybrids yesterday. 200 out and hitting greens. Putting was good, despite the sanded and rough greens.
    My driver let me down, so I teeded it up with my 3wood. Not the distance, but damn accurate!.
    I had one fun hole where I landed the tee shot in the trees. I saw a gap to hit it out to the fairway, but instead hit a tree and it rebounded back and hit me in the head. It was so fast I didn't have time to duck!
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Fri May 03, 2013 8:53 am

Played in a shamble tournament yesterday. My group had 2 guys around 10 - 12 caps and 1 guy who really never plays. I didn't think driving was a weak spot of my game, but apparently it is. Given a good drive off every tee, I think I'd be under par more often than not. It also helps that you get to place the ball in the fairway or rough. The SPCC is in the process of making the course play like a mother fucker for the US Open Local Qualifier.
    And putting seemed much better. I made a couple bombs, but those are more luck than anything else. It was the shorter ones that were good. Didn't really throw any shots away on the greens, and most putts started on my intended line with good speed. I lightened my grip pressure and made a better transition from back to through.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Wed May 15, 2013 5:27 am

no comments after the weekend....

Anyway Played Saterday. Had an awefull round of golf with a good score...Won 2nd place in a individual S/F open division. Played of an 6handicap shot 74, First 9 holes I hit only 2 GIR, had 6 up and downs. 2nd nine wasnt worth mentioning except for two birdies on two par3s. lost about 8 shots due to course conditions.

i just hate to take a practise swing and the club bounces of the ground because its hard, then when the real swing comes you keep the accelaration but the club digs underneath the ball....hate it hate it hate it.

i have two SW's just incase this happens and I am able to feel the bounce.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Wed May 15, 2013 9:10 am

Fluffy wrote:no comments after the weekend....

Anyway Played Saterday. Had an awefull round of golf with a good score...Won 2nd place in a individual S/F open division. Played of an 6handicap shot 74, First 9 holes I hit only 2 GIR, had 6 up and downs. 2nd nine wasnt worth mentioning except for two birdies on two par3s. lost about 8 shots due to course conditions.

i just hate to take a practise swing and the club bounces of the ground because its hard, then when the real swing comes you keep the accelaration but the club digs underneath the ball....hate it hate it hate it.

A 6 handicap should never complain about shooting a 74. In fact, if I heard a 6 handicap bemoaning a 2 over round in a comp, I'd be pretty pissed about it.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Wed May 15, 2013 9:27 am

Horseballs wrote:

A 6 handicap should never complain about shooting a 74. In fact, if I heard a 6 handicap bemoaning a 2 over round in a comp, I'd be pretty pissed about it.

Fluffy is a sand bagger... statistically speaking, if one kept accurate handicap then his/her normal scores would be around "Course rating + handicap +3", i.e. if it's a par-71 course, he normal scores should be around 71+6+3 = 80... As I said, he's a sand bagger
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Wed May 15, 2013 1:30 pm

Pky6471 wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:

Fluffy is a sand bagger... statistically speaking, if one kept accurate handicap then his/her normal scores would be around "Course rating + handicap +3", i.e. if it's a par-71 course, he normal scores should be around 71+6+3 = 80... As I said, he's a sand bagger
    I don't know about that. I've shot 4 under my cap on rare occasions, but I'm never pissed about it.
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Wed May 15, 2013 2:06 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    Pky6471 wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:

I don't know about that. I've shot 4 under my cap on rare occasions, but I'm never pissed about it.

Once is fine but it's very improbable to follow it up with another below cap round. If the HC chair is worth his salt that players cap should be adjusted. Here's USGA's page on odds...
    http://www.usga.org/playing/handicaps/understanding_handicap/articles/deanstable.html
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Wed May 15, 2013 2:19 pm

I think it also depends upon your cap and which way you are trending.
    Very high caps can go out and shoot a 92 if they catch a few breaks and shoot 5 or 6 under their cap. Certainly more likely than me shooting 3 or 4 under par, which has never happened.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Wed May 15, 2013 2:21 pm

I place sand baggers in the same category as the sewer rat or gopher. Also known as varmint kong.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Wed May 15, 2013 5:19 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    Pky6471 wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:

yes, RARE OCCASIONS... that vocabulary is not acceptable in "statistics"
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Wed May 15, 2013 5:58 pm

Horseballs wrote:I think it also depends upon your cap and which way you are trending.
    Very high caps can go out and shoot a 92 if they catch a few breaks and shoot 5 or 6 under their cap. Certainly more likely than me shooting 3 or 4 under par, which has never happened.

That link basically takes the high capper into consideration. A 0-5 cap has a 151:1 odds of being 4 under while a 22-30 capper has 40:1 odds. The second table is about the odds of a golfer shooting well below their cap. The suggest that 1:258 is a reasonable odds for back to back rounds. Basically equates to 3 under and 5 under. If the golfer is below that then, yes, the golfer is trending lower and his cap should be adjusted. Rarely does the HC chair do any of this...
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Thu May 16, 2013 8:52 am

Horseballs wrote:

Haha Love it.....The next day I played a round,shot the first nine around 48,,,,but had 3 hours of sleep.lol

in South Africa our handicaps can drop/go up quite quickly if you play +-10 rounds a month, two months ago I was a 3,then they introduced hollowtining and my putts wouldnt drop...There's your 6 handicap.....The other day I played a 74 but had to walk all over my line to make sure the green is more or less flat.lol.i know its a penalty...for all 18 then..

Shot a 71 the other day....Cant remember of what.Probably a 5 handicap;)Naah in all seriousnes the 74 round i propbably threw "THREW" away 8 shots.take half of that with all the probabilities and it should be around 70;)

Am I stirring enough here?
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Thu May 16, 2013 8:59 am

Pky6471 wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Pky6471 wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:

yes, RARE OCCASIONS... that vocabulary is not acceptable in "statistics"

Statistically speaking our rounds should be as below:
    1 out of every 20 rounds = 3 or more below handicap....Do you know what pisses me off.in all seriousness....This is actually more or less correct....
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Thu May 16, 2013 9:13 am

anyway, the reason for my unhappy 74 off a 6 handicap is as below:

1st: hit my drive with a 10-15 yard draw,saw it landing about 10 meters above the ground in the middle/right fairway about 290 meters out over a bunker....Got to the fairway and my ball was about 10meters into the rough behind a tree that I have NEVER been short of..Hit 1 iron stinger about 90meter of wet grass but the ball didnt bounce so was short.Bogey 1shotLOST

2nd: drive the short par4 just left of the green, 310meters, chip & putt,Birdie

3rd: boring stroke 2,Stinger 1 iron 230m down fairway. 160meter 5iron 3/4 shot 2meters from pin, two people putting on my same line with a left to right turn of about 2/3 balls, hit mine 1 ball left with more speed and it didnt turn an inch, 3feet back putt = par, 1shotLOST because didnt turn

4th: par3 up 7 down bunker proximity to hole 4m

5th: par 5 2nd shot into green middle of fairway 190meter= pull hook 2nd shot left,tempo to fast, take unplayable drop out of the only bush where my ball could land chip and put from 50m.

6th: 330 drive downhil par5 and i make 5...cant remember how.

The one hole that killed me was the 11th. Par5, 2nd shot closer then 100m on easy pin. left fairway...get te where my ball should be and no-where to be found...made 7...where shouldve been easy 4
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Thu May 16, 2013 1:06 pm

Fluffy wrote:anyway, the reason for my unhappy 74 off a 6 handicap is as below:

1st: hit my drive with a 10-15 yard draw,saw it landing about 10 meters above the ground in the middle/right fairway about 290 meters out over a bunker....Got to the fairway and my ball was about 10meters into the rough behind a tree that I have NEVER been short of..Hit 1 iron stinger about 90meter of wet grass but the ball didnt bounce so was short.Bogey 1shotLOST

2nd: drive the short par4 just left of the green, 310meters, chip & putt,Birdie

3rd: boring stroke 2,Stinger 1 iron 230m down fairway. 160meter 5iron 3/4 shot 2meters from pin, two people putting on my same line with a left to right turn of about 2/3 balls, hit mine 1 ball left with more speed and it didnt turn an inch, 3feet back putt = par, 1shotLOST because didnt turn

4th: par3 up 7 down bunker proximity to hole 4m

5th: par 5 2nd shot into green middle of fairway 190meter= pull hook 2nd shot left,tempo to fast, take unplayable drop out of the only bush where my ball could land chip and put from 50m.

The one hole that killed me was the 11th. Par5, 2nd shot closer then 100m on easy pin. left fairway...get te where my ball should be and no-where to be found...made 7...where shouldve been easy 4

U r still a sand bagger for claiming a 6-cap and shot 74... disappointed
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Fri May 17, 2013 7:16 am

Pky6471 wrote:
    Fluffy wrote:anyway, the reason for my unhappy 74 off a 6 handicap is as below:

....Omitted=bullshit info....

U r still a sand bagger for claiming a 6-cap and shot 74... disappointed

Our system sucks...It sucks so much it has been revised 3 times in the last year...Course ratings come into play which in my mind shouldnt....our course rating is 69 on some days off a 72.... What must I do if every hole is 10meters shorter....I dont have anything less then 90meter in the bag for my 2nd shots.lol. gets difficult quickly for me.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon May 20, 2013 1:28 pm

Just got back from my Chicago trip.
    Chicago Golf Club - ranked 14 in the country
    Medinah #3 - ranked around 30
    Butler National - ranked around 50

Unbelievable clubs. A level I have never experienced, and I've played some pretty good places.
    I shot 79, 81, 80. 9 over at each place. Medinah was playing tough with the wind, Butler is just a very difficult layout. Chicago GC was kind of a goat track. Definitely not in my own personal top 20, certainly not top 15 in the US, in my opinion.
    I played really well at Medinah and Butler. Had I been a bit better on the greens, I would have been around 4 over at each. The 2 guys from Cinci who came with me shot over 100 at both places as 10-12 handicaps.
    SoonerBS
    SoonerBS

Post  SoonerBS Wed May 22, 2013 5:14 pm

Horseballs wrote:Just got back from my Chicago trip.
    Chicago Golf Club - ranked 14 in the country
    Medinah #3 - ranked around 30
    Butler National - ranked around 50

Unbelievable clubs. A level I have never experienced, and I've played some pretty good places.
    I shot 79, 81, 80. 9 over at each place. Medinah was playing tough with the wind, Butler is just a very difficult layout. Chicago GC was kind of a goat track. Definitely not in my own personal top 20, certainly not top 15 in the US, in my opinion.
    I played really well at Medinah and Butler. Had I been a bit better on the greens, I would have been around 4 over at each. The 2 guys from Cinci who came with me shot over 100 at both places as 10-12 handicaps.

You did really well to golf those scores at new places. It shows that you have the ability to take your game to any course. I am still working on that ability. I allow new scenery and a lack of distance experience to mess with my mind.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 2:17 am