The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+25
Dixon Cox
mtz4life
Mongrel
Big Dave
The Ghost of FD
Hubijerk
BBQpig
SoonerBS
Player
msal13
californiataxes
FreakOfNature
Dirtsquirrel
Fluffy
Poe4soul
jmtbkr
12pierogi
Horseballs
Kiwigolfer
jetdriver
Lord Helmet
Golfaholic
JonT
Olderplayer
Lorenzzo
29 posters

Club Ho'ing

Mongrel
    Mongrel

Club Ho'ing  - Page 29 Empty Re: Club Ho'ing

Post  Mongrel Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:55 pm

Back where I live and operate, the local governments have RV and boat parking restrictions in their zoning codes to preclude the situation you describe. Despite never having owned or even stayed in an RV, I can see where it would have its advantages--both real physical and imagined psychological-- over alternative temporary lodging types. As for hotels and motels, they are so damn expensive nowadays that if you are traveling with enough of an entourage that you would need more than one room, the lodging and restaurant costs would probably be more than a few months' loan payments on the RV. And we all know the hotels and motels can feature bed bug infestations, mold, various bodily fluids on carpets, upholstery and under-washed bedding and elsewhere and only visible with Luminol. Now as far as tent camping is concerned, man did I love to sleep out under the stars or in the tent in case of bad insects and/or rain potential. But nowadays, you gots to be concerned with crackheads, methheads and just plain old common fuckheads who will mess with, rob, rape and kill you. You are easy pickin's in that tent but in the RV, you've got your mobile castle and hopefully some good old fashioned Fire Power with which to defend yourselves against the above-mentioned 'heads. Fair winds and following seas.

Last edited by Mongrel on Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:17 pm

I suppose its partly due to me not going to Mexico on a regular basis anymore.

When growing up, us kids had to keep a bag packed, cause Dad would say let's go kids. Off we'd go to Washington, D.C. to the Smithsonian or Mount Vernon, or Monticello, or colonial Williamsburg.
    Disney numerous times, Gatlinburg Tennessee to the Smokey mountains, etc..
    It's probably a temporary thing, as the kids get around 14 on up they want less to do with there parents. Not to mention my wife hates camping, in a tent.
    I have had 2 motorhomes, and this is my second trailer, the first was an older Airsteam.
    I prefer the rv trailer, as I can detach it and go other places, and leave the rv at a campground.
    Part of the problem is at hotels, you can't check in till this time, you have to check out out at another time, very little privacy. I have my espresso machine, a flat screen, surround sound all the amenities of home, this one has separate shower, with skylight, and the toilet sink is on the other side. Central heat, and freezing ac. No obvious smells either.
    I'm sure everyone knows the hassle and expense of air travel.

I also already have the truck, and its not real bad on fuel, high teens on the highway.
    I have 10 acres, and its out of sight.
    Club Ho'ing  - Page 29 891BFD3E-CCFF-438F-91EF-915327C96E80-211-00000034ABF7B160_zps2ddccd2c
    Club Ho'ing  - Page 29 B86E8098-42D2-42D2-A349-0383E9779F3E-211-00000036730204CF_zpsf7fb2f99
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:18 pm

Today I spotted some Nickent 3DX Pro irons with Fujikura Vista Pro Stiff graphite shafts in 9/10 condition, 3-PW for $49. I couldn't resist. Looking forward to trying them out. Very little offset and a nice looking head.

Also saw some Maxfli A10 Tour Limited irons with Dynamic Gold X100 shafts. Original grips. Nice condition.

Ping G20 driver with TFC Tour 707 Stiff shaft, 9.5 degree, like new for $119.

That's the cool thing about PIAS - all kinds of old and new stuff. They also had a set of barley used Taylormade Burner Tour irons. This is the older version with the copper coloring in the small cavity.

They also had this driver called a "Big Dog" that had one of those Longwood shafts in it. This thing was huge!

Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:21 pm

Man, you got the GFF flag flying on the home page. Those are nice looking sticks. Speaking of Nickent, I carried my Nickent ARC 56* wedge with 12* of bounce yesterday just for the sand traps I knew they had on the "upscale" county-owned course my club played. Of course I found about five greenside bunkers since they have too many of them and the sand was very fine and hard-packed. I almost holed a 40 footer for a birdie on a par 5 and got up and down on another hole, too. Great wedge design and feel for a hollow cast head with some sort of plastic deadener inside the head. Cheap as poo at PAIS. Maybe $12 in pristine condition with Rifle Spinner shaft that really spins it out of the sand.

I couldn't hit my fairway wood worth a turd. The damn thing cost me at least three strokes and I can't hit my hybrids so I didn't even bag them. But I have two Nickent hybrid heads-- a 17* 4DX IW and a 19* 5W that has a larger head. I'm going to reshaft one of those heads just for a tee club and something to be able to bunt-punch 175-200. Right now I'm leaning towards the 17*. Nickent are alright by me but maybe they'd still be in business if they didnt have that green plastic crap on the heads that looks like fake emeralds.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:43 am

jmtbkr wrote:I will never forget the news report several years ago of some nutbag that stole a tank from a local armory and drove it thru the neighborhood, CRUSHING an RV with it! Thing collapsed like a cereal box!!
    Then he took it out on the freeway - probably the 405 - and tried to hop the divider to go the wrong way into oncoming traffic, got hung up on it and the CHP popped the hatch and capped his ass!
    A 30-60 ton tank will do the same thing to your house. You try to keep them light for ease of pulling, and fuel mileage. Mine is around 7,500 pounds empty. You could pull it with a large enough SUV.
    The ultimate is probably the million dollar bus, with the SUV in tow, and a golf car, or boat, a caravan of sorts.
    I passed one a few years back, dude had the Hummer SUV, and a golf car, behind the million dollar motorhome, it looked like he had a cigar in his mouth. He had it, that's right.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:53 am

I remember reading in a car magazine in the '70's about a self-contained motorhome that had a 6 cylinder BMW motor and got 20 MPG. It wasn't that large but the magazine testers remarked that it handled very well and had good power. And then there was the SUV that Lamborghini built for Libya's Qaddifi that was powered by a flat 12 and would do over 120 and accelerate real quickly for something so heavy and with .50 cal. machine gun mounts on its rear fenders. I recall that Lambo made some more of them for the public markets and called the machine "LM-001" or something like that.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:52 am

Mongrel wrote:I remember reading in a car magazine in the '70's about a self-contained motorhome that had a 6 cylinder BMW motor and got 20 MPG. It wasn't that large but the magazine testers remarked that it handled very well and had good power. And then there was the SUV that Lamborghini built for Libya's Qaddifi that was powered by a flat 12 and would do over 120 and accelerate real quickly for something so heavy and with .50 cal. machine gun mounts on its rear fenders. I recall that Lambo made some more of them for the public markets and called the machine "LM-001" or something like that.

I put the Tommy Armour 845 EVO V-31 irons into play yesterday. I shot 75. This is one heck of a nice iron, and one that could almost be called a blade were it not for the slightest cavity in the back. The feel is perfect - Not hard but not too "Mizuno" squishy either. On the Par 3 eighth hole I hit a 5 iron from 175 yards that just went perfect to about 7 feet and I made bird. Birdies on Par 3s always feel like a bonus.

I also like the shaft that comes with the v-31 irons, the True Temper Tri-Gold stiff steel shafts. They feel a bit lighter and more lively than Dynamic Gold.

jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:43 am

Dood!

My two ironsets are X20's and 845's. They are just about perfect. I hope this is a lesson to you that you should settle down with a great set and play, not bounce around trying and getting pissed off over other crap out there.
    I'm amazed you don't go thru wives like you do iron sets:joker: jocolor jocolor 

Listen to the Jeffy here!!
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:28 pm

jmtbkr wrote:Dood!

My two ironsets are X20's and 845's.  They are just about perfect.  I hope this is a lesson to you that you should settle down with a great set and play, not bounce around trying and getting pissed off over other crap out there.
    I'm amazed you don't go thru wives like you do iron sets:joker: jocolor jocolor 

Listen to the Jeffy here!!

The EVO V-31 is a completely different iron than the original 845. The X-20 tour series is a nice iron but I don't like the origina model that much because it lacks in feel and has too much offset.

I'm telling you, The EVO is one heck of an iron. Probably didn't sell too well because of the deterioration of the Armour name.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:05 pm

I saw a set of EBO's recently in the local Golfsmith. I forget what shafts but think the tag was about $130. Good looking heads. Like many others, I owned a set of the original 845's. Back when I was trying to find something to replace my Palmer Standard blades. I think the 845's lasted maybe two weeks before I traded them on something else. The hardest, nastiest feeling irons I ever hit.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:12 am

Mongrel wrote:I remember reading in a car magazine in the '70's about a self-contained motorhome that had a 6 cylinder BMW motor and got 20 MPG. It wasn't that large but the magazine testers remarked that it handled very well and had good power. And then there was the SUV that Lamborghini built for Libya's Qaddifi that was powered by a flat 12 and would do over 120 and accelerate real quickly for something so heavy and with .50 cal. machine gun mounts on its rear fenders. I recall that Lambo made some more of them for the public markets and called the machine "LM-001" or something like that.
    A buddy of mine just got back from a 3 week road trip, with some camping thrown in, Yellowstone, mt Rushmore, Oregon coast, Washington, Northern California, while camping in there tent, he had a face to face with a Bear, during the night, he said all he could see was this bears eyes in his face, he elected to run.
    His girlfriend has a permit, and packs a .44 though.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:40 pm

12pierogi wrote:
    A buddy of mine just got back from a 3 week road trip, with some camping thrown in, Yellowstone, mt Rushmore, Oregon coast, Washington, Northern California, while camping in there tent, he had a face to face with a Bear, during the night, he said all he could see was this bears eyes in his face, he elected to run.

My family and I went backpacking in Yosemite and Yellowstone when I was younger. You had to tie up your food so that the bears wouldn't climb into your tent at night. One night I was in our tiny tent and heard something outside. I looked out of the tent and 3 feet away was a brown bear that must have weighed 1,500 pounds. It was huge. They are incredibly adept at getting your food no matter how high you tie it up. They will undo the knots.

The coolest thing was when I was in Yellowstone and saw this gigantic Moose in the most perfect setting you can imagine.

How anyone could ever shoot a moose or a bear is beyond me.
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:11 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    12pierogi wrote:

My family and I went backpacking in Yosemite and Yellowstone when I was younger.  You had to tie up your food so that the bears wouldn't climb into your tent at night.  One night I was in our tiny tent and heard something outside.  I looked out of the tent and 3 feet away was a brown bear that must have weighed 1,500 pounds.  It was huge.  They are incredibly adept at getting your food no matter how high you tie it up.  They will undo the knots.  

The coolest thing was when I was in Yellowstone and saw this gigantic Moose in the most perfect setting you can imagine.  

I've eaten moose. It was goooood! Prepared in a dutch oven over a campfire.

I could imagine shooting one but gutting and cleaning it would be a different story.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:03 pm

Need a knife like a Bowie honed to razor sharp. Just hang it up from a strong branch, cut off the best slabs, and leave the rest for the bear, wolves and winged scavengers. Oh, and save the rack. Big in Japan.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:42 pm

Yep, that takes a lot of guts to shoot a Moose. There are so many of them, too.

Anyway, back to club ho'in. Was on Craigslist yesterday and saw an add for Ping golf set. Sometimes those are the needle in the haystack where the title is very unspecific.

Opened it up and this guy had a full set of Ping G5 irons, hybrids and fairway woods along with a Titleist 905R driver for $240. I told him I'd give him $200 cashola'. We met, sealed the deal. Thing is, the clubs look barely used. I mean prestine. Here's what I got:

Ping G5 3-SW, CS Lite stiff, maybe used 10 times
    Ping G5 Hybrids, 3 of them. One has the CS-Lite stiff shaft and the other two have Adila NV-65 HL Stiff.
    Ping G5 Fairways, 2 of them. 3 & 5 wood with Aldila NV-75 Stiff.
    Titleist Vokey 56 Sand Wedge
    Titleist 905R 9.5 Driver with GD YS-6+ Stiff.
    Ping Hoofer bag

If he had thrown in a putter I would have had a full set. You know what I mean? Capisce?

Can't wait to try these out on Sunday.

jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:25 pm

FamousDavis wrote:Yep, that takes a lot of guts to shoot a Moose.  There are so many of them, too.  

Anyway, back to club ho'in.   Was on Craigslist yesterday and saw an add for Ping golf set.  Sometimes those are the needle in the haystack where the title is very unspecific.  

Opened it up and this guy had a full set of Ping G5 irons, hybrids and fairway woods along with a Titleist 905R driver for $240.   I told him I'd give him $200 cashola'.   We met, sealed the deal.   Thing is, the clubs look barely used.  I mean prestine.  Here's what I got:

Ping G5 Hybrids, 3 of them.  One has the CS-Lite stiff shaft and the other two have Adila NV-65 HL Stiff.  
    Ping G5 Fairways, 2 of them.  3 & 5 wood with Aldila NV-75 Stiff.
    Ping Hoofer bag

If he had thrown in a putter I would have had a full set.  You know what I mean?  Capisce?

What's wrong with this afternoon?

I mean, ya gotta play more than once a week!
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:31 pm

jmtbkr wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:Yep, that takes a lot of guts to shoot a Moose.  There are so many of them, too.  

Anyway, back to club ho'in.   Was on Craigslist yesterday and saw an add for Ping golf set.  Sometimes those are the needle in the haystack where the title is very unspecific.  

Opened it up and this guy had a full set of Ping G5 irons, hybrids and fairway woods along with a Titleist 905R driver for $240.   I told him I'd give him $200 cashola'.   We met, sealed the deal.   Thing is, the clubs look barely used.  I mean prestine.  Here's what I got:

Ping G5 Hybrids, 3 of them.  One has the CS-Lite stiff shaft and the other two have Adila NV-65 HL Stiff.  
    Ping G5 Fairways, 2 of them.  3 & 5 wood with Aldila NV-75 Stiff.
    Ping Hoofer bag

If he had thrown in a putter I would have had a full set.  You know what I mean?  Capisce?

What's wrong with this afternoon?

I mean, ya gotta play more than once a week!

I'm not much of an afternoon player. It doesn't feel the same to me as morning golf. I play once or twice a week and that's enough for me. Whenever I play more than that I'm not as in to it. I also have two kids so playing once or twice a week is a pretty good deal.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:35 am

I put the mp-62 back in the bag this week, got out for a quick 18 yesterday, such wonderful irons, almost a club longer than the 300 forged, and buttery smooth.
    There keepers..
    I may sell the cobra s3 pro though.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:03 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    12pierogi wrote:
    My family and I went backpacking in Yosemite and Yellowstone when I was younger.  You had to tie up your food so that the bears wouldn't climb into your tent at night.  One night I was in our tiny tent and heard something outside.  I looked out of the tent and 3 feet away was a brown bear that must have weighed 1,500 pounds.  It was huge.  They are incredibly adept at getting your food no matter how high you tie it up.  They will undo the knots.  

I've softened my stance on hunting over the years.
    In my 20s it was shotgun or rifle, deer season, or rabbit and squirell, I was avid, and active. It still felt wrong, and to easy. So I buy a .357 handgun with a 8 inch barrel, and I hunt deer a couple years with it. More challenging for sure, as getting much closer is key.
    I rarely hunt anymore, and exclusively with a bow and arrow, and you need to be within 40 yards or less for a clean kill. i eat what I kill.
    As I've gotten older, I find myself eating way less meat, and the desire to hunt is greatly diminished.
    My buddy's girlfriend didn't shoot a bear by the way, but she packs that .44 around here.
    I can't stand people that hunt, just to kill an animal.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:14 pm

I don't eat much meat anymore either and what I do eat comes from the grocery store. I still shoot critters on occasion but only the ones that crap on my lawn and eat the hostas (rabbits), ones that tip over our trashcans and rip the bags open (racoons) and those that would eat the power lines and roofing shingles (squirrels). And since all those will rile up the dog with their presences, that seals the deal. The pellet rifle is powerful and very quiet. One shot. One kill. Semper fi. Hoooo ahhhh.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:59 pm

It does seem certain critters are kill worthy, I don't really have much in the way of nuisance level critters.
    My buddy in town fights a piney squirell and fox squirell problem, they are rather destructive on his home, and they chewed a hole in his brake master cylinder, leaving him no brakes a couple years ago.
    He's nailed countless bats, that go down his chimney, and in the roof to roost. Shitting on his cars in the garage as well. I suppose there not healthy to have living in your home.
    I recently built a huge fire in his fireplace, as he capped the chimney with a screen to kill the bats he swore were in there.
    Really the only thing in our yard is deer, and turkey.
    I've been wanting to get some chickens, as I like having them around, and hearing them in the morning, but I'm afraid I'll attract every critter for miles around.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:52 pm

Chickens would attract fox. We have fox in our neighborhood which is probably why the rabbits are noticeably absent this year. Several years ago a garden hose running from the outside bib on the south side of our house back to the pool area burst in the heat of summer and flooded out the shrubbery on that side of the house. I noticed it after a few minutes and managed to turn it off. Then went to the Home Despot and bought a new heavy duty hose to replace it. When my wife and i went outside to look at it after I turned off the tap inside, we saw a large black snake slithering away. I figured that it lived under the landscaping rocks around the shrubbery. About two days afterwards, we saw the first mouse in the house. And then the entire Mickey Fucking Family took up residence for months and I used every mouse control technique listed on the internet and finally they went away when I bought a CO2 pellet gun that is semi-auto with 8 shot rotary mag accomodating either .177 lead pellets or bb's. I would sit on my chair in front of the TV in the basement with the pistol in my lap and a fresh CO2 cylinder locked in with full mag and safety off. Sure enough, that's what got rid of them. I assume that the snake or its ancestor resumed its residence because we have been mouse-free thereafter.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:56 pm

Hey, we have fox that run rampant all over the golf course I play weekly. They've dug out huge nests in most of the traps under the berms. Guess thats where the term 'fox hole' comes from. hyuk!
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Club Ho'ing  - Page 29 Empty Titleist 710 CB

Post  FamousDavis Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:07 pm

Just picked up a set of Titleist 710 CB irons with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts, Titleist grips, in great condition for $250.   I'm pretty sure that's a damn good price.  I'm going back to a heavier feeling iron where I can get better feedback.   I've read some reviews on these irons that say they are the best irons ever and others that say they lost some distance.   I can attest to the distance loss over the Taylormade Tour Burner irons.   The Titleist 710 CB 7 iron flies about 155 for me while the Tour Burner flies about 162.   Of course, that's due to the fact that the 710 CBs are more traditionally lofted.  

I'm playing in my first team match tomorrow and looking forward to using them!  The force is with me but have I gone to the dark side?

Club Ho'ing  - Page 29 Smiley-sw017
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:23 pm

I'd get the lies checked on those before I put them into competition.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:05 pm