The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+25
Dixon Cox
mtz4life
Mongrel
Big Dave
The Ghost of FD
Hubijerk
BBQpig
SoonerBS
Player
msal13
californiataxes
FreakOfNature
Dirtsquirrel
Fluffy
Poe4soul
jmtbkr
12pierogi
Horseballs
Kiwigolfer
jetdriver
Lord Helmet
Golfaholic
JonT
Olderplayer
Lorenzzo
29 posters

Club Ho'ing

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Club Ho'ing  - Page 30 Empty Re: Club Ho'ing

Post  FamousDavis Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:30 pm

Mongrel wrote:I'd get the lies checked on those before I put them into competition.
    Why do you say that?

Club Ho'ing  - Page 30 Smiley-sw003
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:18 am

Because sometimes forged irons have been bent flat or upright by the preivous users and maybe even had the lofts strengthened or weakened. Its not unusual when bending an iron to change its loft that the aim orientation of the clubface is also bent which makes it difficult to hit a shot on the intended line without compensation. So what feels great and carries 155 on the store's launch monitor off the nice cushy dead flat lie rug may not do so good out on the rye or bent or Bermuda or Penncross or zoysia or poa or fescue or bitumen.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Club Ho'ing  - Page 30 Empty Results with Titleist 710 CBs

Post  FamousDavis Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:18 pm

Played in my Men's Club Inter-club league match play event. We played against a team named Seal Beach. Each team has 20 people and then it's you and another guy from your team against two guys from the other team. It's front nine, back nine and total with me against one of the guys on the other team and then the same thing for the two man vs. two man. I won front, back & 18 against my opponent and we won front, back and 18 against their team. My partner lost against his opponent, though.

I used the following:

Ping G5 Driver, 9 Deg, NVS Stiff.
    Titleist 710 CB, 3-PW, DGS300.
    Odyssey DFX Two-Ball center shaft.

The thing I like most about the 710 CBs is the fact that they are truly a player's cavity back. The head is much smaller than what I've seen with some of the Mizuno offerings, including the MP-58, MP-60 and MP-57. The feel is superb and I would argue superior to that of Mizuno.

Distance is a little shorter but not a whole lot. I use a 9 iron from 120 to 130 yards and the PW goes about 100 to 110. One thing for certain is that the distance is much more consistent than with the GI clubs I've tried.

So, anyway, here are a few of the shots I hit today with these irons that absolutely helped me stick the knife in my opponent, turn it and then completely gut him:

2nd hole: Pitching wedge from 110 yards to 10 feet.
    3rd hole: 7-iron from 150 yards to 15 feet.
    4th hole: 5 iron from 175 yards to 30 feet.
    5th hole: PW from 100 yards uphill to about 10 feet. Drained it.
    6th hole: 9 iron from 120 yards to 15 feet.
    8th hole: 9 iron from 125 yards to about 15 feet. Birdie.
    10th hole: 9 Iron uphill from about 115 yards to 20 feet.
    11th hole: This was the best one. 8-iron from 140 yards to inside 3 feet.
    14th hole: Par 3. 7 iron to 6 feet. Missed the putt.
    18th hole: 9 iron from 125 yards to about 20 feet.

What I like about player's irons is that, when struck well, they seem to end up much closer to the hole. Also, the dispersion is much less than with GI clubs.

For now, I'm really liking these irons a lot. Granted, the distance is about 1/2 a club less than what I've been playing but, really, who cares? It's actually easier because now I can use my PW from 100 yards out when before it was a hard gap wedge.

Also, I'm getting the Ping G5 driver dialed in and hit some bombs with it today. In fact, I don't think I hit a bad drive all day.

Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:43 pm

Yes, more important to hit yardages consistently whether its 110 or 130 with PW etc. Those distances are similar to me and my MX 25 Mizuno's but I've been having some problems with consistent contact with all of them and I think that the lies may be too flat but have not had the time to go get them checked and bent where I need them. Really need to do that before my next round.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:50 am

Nice job, FD! By your stats, it looks like you 2, maybe 3 putted a bunch. That's been my downfall lately. My putting has gone in the crapper. Also, the greens at our weekly venue have all died, so that doesn't help either.

Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:05 am

jmtbkr wrote:Nice job, FD!  By your stats, it looks like you 2, maybe 3 putted a bunch.  That's been my downfall lately. My putting has gone in the crapper. Also, the greens at our weekly venue have all died, so that doesn't help either.

I putted very well three rounds ago when the course we played had slow greens and I bagged my old Ray Cook blade putter. The next round at another course the greens were a bit faster and I putted OK. Then last Sunday at this course in York County, PA, the freaking greens were rolling about 12 and I flat out suck-putted. So from now on, I'm bringing both the Ray Cook blade and the Rife 2 Bar mallet and spending enough time on the practice green to make the right choice.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:18 am

I picked up some ap2 710 with px shafts. I think it's my first titleist iron set. Are they any good? Anyone anyone.
    I paid 250 delivered. The pictures showed they were dirty, but no marks on the sole, faces were nice, except dirty, mainly the pw wedge. I couldn't believe he didn't clean them.
    He wanted 350, but took my offer.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:54 am

jmtbkr wrote:Nice job, FD!  By your stats, it looks like you 2, maybe 3 putted a bunch.  That's been my downfall lately. My putting has gone in the crapper. Also, the greens at our weekly venue have all died, so that doesn't help either.

No, I three putted one time but I missed a ton of birdie putts including one from 3 feet and another from 5 feet. They were both downhill putts and all I needed to win the hole was par so I hit them both as dying putts.

I've said this before on this forum and have received much debate in the past but I'll say it again....the driver is the most important club in the bag. This is especially true in match play where if you continue to drive it straight down the middle of the fairway it will slowly eat away at your opponent. Especially with an opponent like I had yesterday, who drove the ball 30 yards short of me. He probably expected me to be somewhat long and wild but, instead, he got paired against someone who is somewhat long and perfectly straight every single time.

Now, you could argue that the putter is the most important but I would disagree in that making putts (over 15 feet) depends a lot on luck and your "feel" on that particular day. If I happen to putt lights out one day, I cant' turn around and say "see, I shot my best score and it was all putting". We have to look at our success in golf over a period of time and then determine what club is the determining factor in how well we play.

For me, my driving is the determining factor in how well I play that day, generally speaking.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:17 pm

12pierogi wrote:I picked up some ap2 710 with px shafts. I think it's my first titleist iron set. Are they any good? Anyone anyone.
    I paid 250 delivered. The pictures showed they were dirty, but no marks on the sole, faces were nice, except dirty, mainly the pw wedge. I couldn't believe he didn't clean them.
    Never played them but hit the originals and they were good. Several guys in my club have them and are good players. I've seen others with them who do not have the swings for them and they suck. That's a real good price for those. Only Tit irons I ever had were the 755's and I'm sorry I sold them. Well, the heads I sold but still have the shafts.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:35 pm

Well Mongrel soon enough I'll find out. I was thinking of putting the comp ez in the bag tonite for league, my iron game is a little suspect lately, decided to leave the mp-62 in the bag. I love the wedges through 8, I was thinking what players club is close to GI, and I always thought the ap2 was kind of GI looking.
    Newly listed on eBay I was looking, and some pop up with like new, new decade grips, and px 5.5 shafts which I like, not the flighted garbage,'a 5.5 in the lower shafts decreasing to some granny flex in the longer ones, I like my px straight up. Keeps the ball nice and low.
    So I'm looking at his picture of the pw and its all dirty, caked with mud. But I look at the rest of the pics, and there almost mint, no scratches on the soles, nice. Made an offer of 250 couldn't believe he took it, they were on eBay maybe minutes. Bada boom bada bing.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:04 pm

12pierogi wrote:Well Mongrel soon enough I'll find out. I was thinking of putting the comp ez in the bag tonite for league, my iron game is a little suspect lately, decided to leave the mp-62 in the bag. I love the wedges through 8, I was thinking what players club is close to GI, and I always thought the ap2 was kind of GI looking.
    Newly listed on eBay I was looking, and some pop up with like new, new decade grips, and px 5.5 shafts which I like, not the flighted garbage,'a 5.5 in the lower shafts decreasing to some granny flex in the longer ones, I like my px straight up. Keeps the ball nice and low.
    So I'm looking at his picture of the pw and its all dirty, caked with mud. But I look at the rest of the pics, and there almost mint, no scratches on the soles, nice. Made an offer of 250 couldn't believe he took it, they were on eBay maybe minutes. Bada boom bada bing.
    That's a pretty sweet deal for the 710 AP2 irons. I think those irons work better with Project X than with Dynamic Gold. I've never taken a liking to the AP2 irons, for whatever reason. Truth be told, though, I've only tried them at the range.

I had a great time playing the 710 CBs yesterday. It's the best looking forged cavity I've ever laid eyes on.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:41 am

I read some reviews of AP-2's when they first came out and the best description of them was something like "a great iron for a good player who doesn't practice much."
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:21 am

Mongrel wrote:I read some reviews of AP-2's when they first came out and the best description of them was something like "a great iron for a good player who doesn't practice much."
    That fits me to a tee, I don't practice on the range at the club, I never have, and that's probably not going to change.
    I do like to play a couple holes before I start a round though.
    Ranges bore me. As well as indoor simulators.
    I'm thinking of getting a few lessons, but on the course. I've been hitting bad iron shots lately.
    Hoping the ap2 are a little more GI.
    I've been crushing my driver and 3 wood most days lately. Why doesn't it all come together more often than not.
    Golfs a fickle game.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:23 am

12pierogi wrote:I picked up some ap2 710 with px shafts. I think it's my first titleist iron set. Are they any good? Anyone anyone.
    That is probably the most played iron set at my course. People seem to like them. I've hit a few shots with them and found them to be pretty long. Alas, I'm a Mizuno guy.
    Hubijerk
    Hubijerk

Post  Hubijerk Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:36 am

My biggest gripe with the AP2's was the really wide sole. Turf interaction was weird, same thing with the Vokey's, didn't particularly like the way they moved through the turf. I thought the AP2's were long too, then I got my new Mizuno's. The Ap2's are pretty forgiving, but the Mizuno's are a better designed club, I think teh wedges are better designed too. And I hit some scratch wedges the other day and damn...

I use to think Titleist was the best, now I realize they are probably the most average middle of the road golf club company out there. They're stuff does everything well, but doesn't stand out. Solid irons, woods, wedges and putters, but nothing that knocks my socks off. Titleist is like the Toyota Camry of the golf world.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:29 am

Well here we go titleist 710 ap2 little more wear on pw than I like, but its amazing how much nicer the rest of the set gets. Dude must have had the pw at his office.
    Grips seem new this season, and there player kinda small. The sole is not too wide.
    Today we will use them, as yesterday I was hungover not ready to play golf. I have a free pass for mystic hills a P.D Dye course, where you use everything in your bag.
    Club Ho'ing  - Page 30 84063D2B-FD24-4CC7-8C2B-A6C9B70E380C-409-000000884CEFBE66_zps7487dd28
    Club Ho'ing  - Page 30 11367E13-DA91-4A1B-92D5-AB50125A538F-409-00000088AB1F036A_zpsb3ea9e08
    Club Ho'ing  - Page 30 36F98382-944A-4B7C-9639-6CA87E4D0A98-409-0000008E1627A75D_zpsc449e21f
    Club Ho'ing  - Page 30 491DC640-C499-4A1A-89DC-01DF402E88FB-409-0000008EF840EE4E_zps83f82109
    Club Ho'ing  - Page 30 4D427EC2-1B56-4414-8F04-442AC41DCF17-409-000000911C7D2A1F_zps0ba14fc2
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:01 pm

I like them. There easy to hit, go like hell, and accurate. They remind of the mx-23 of player clubs.
    I used the 5 iron a lot today, I hit a couple cuts 170ish and a couple draws 180 or more. I'm happy.
    That wore out pw is money. Grooves are still nice.
    The px shafts are deadly.
    The 300 forged have been digging a little, and I love the mp-62 but they get unforgiving around that 6 iron.
    These may fill the gap. Very nice.
    I haven't hit the 3 or 4 yet, I bet there easy.
    Club Ho'ing  - Page 30 87091410-7293-47FF-B6BA-EA3DE882AB23-701-0000011E8B66C785_zpsfd28356d
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:20 pm

Plus I got another r9 driver 9.5 stiff Motore traded a rip tp xstiff 3 wood shaft extended to a driver one of the pros play, dude hit one 305 yesterday with my shaft. He finally made it right. A year later.
    That makes the 10.5, 9.5 8.5 I'm playing now, I have. the r9 a great head in the smaller non 460 version.
    Cooler weather this 9.5 might be the hot ticket.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:46 am

12pierogi wrote:I like them. There easy to hit, go like hell, and accurate. They remind of the mx-23 of player clubs.
    I used the 5 iron a lot today, I hit a couple cuts 170ish and a couple draws 180 or more. I'm happy.
    That wore out pw is money. Grooves are still nice.
    The px shafts are deadly.
    The 300 forged have been digging a little, and I love the mp-62 but they get unforgiving around that 6 iron.
    These may fill the gap. Very nice.
    I haven't hit the 3 or 4 yet, I bet there easy.
    Club Ho'ing  - Page 30 87091410-7293-47FF-B6BA-EA3DE882AB23-701-0000011E8B66C785_zpsfd28356d
    The photos reveal a set of Titleist AP2 irons, not AP2 710 irons. I was wondering about that when you said they came with Project X shafts because it was the original introduction of the AP2 irons that came with project X.

The AP2 710 irons can be identified by the "710" on the hosel as well as a aluminum cavity insert that is black on silver rather than silver on black, the 710 model having black as the dominant color. Also, the 710 series came stock with Dynamic Gold shafts.

That being said, $250 is about right for those irons, although the PW has more wear than I'd like.

I played the Callaway Diablo Forged irons with Nippon 1100GH steel shafts yesterday. They perform pretty well but are very clicky and don't feel anywhere close to as good as the Titleist CB irons or Mizuno forgings. Not worth keeping in the bag.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:53 am

He may be getting them back. Thanks FD as they were listed as 710 models. The wear didn't bother me to much. Pretty good hitting irons.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:17 pm

Well I got a refund, as these were listed as a 710 model. Sellers mistake. I should have knew the difference.
    Picked up another set with s300 shafts that look like new. These are the 710 model ap2. 50 dollars
    more though. Actually 57 plus the shipping 12 dollars I think.
    These ap2 seem to command a good buck on resale.

Last edited by 12pierogi on Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:44 am

I went out last night after work for a quickie, it was lady's night, and I'm sick. But it was peaceful, and I had the Maxfli A10 Tour limited in the bag. Such a nice combo set.
    I played several balls on a couple holes, and could do no wrong. Perfect drives, incredible iron striking. Shit putting though.
    My ap2 are almost here. I'm excited.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:29 pm

Well I hit a few in the backyard, there pretty cool.
    I hit 5 perfect in a row, the 6th one was a little toward the toe, still went 95%
    I'm pumped, going to the course, of course.

Club Ho'ing  - Page 30 4B89294F-DDE8-4F5B-8A70-9F7211A5605E-256-00000033E2F604D5_zpsc695e4e8
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:58 pm

So I had my Cobra FP irons, 2008 version, with the Aldila By You graphite shafts-- 4 through Gapper -- on consignment in a local golf shop since around early April and no takers. So I stopped by earlier today since I was on the road for work and took them back. Maybe Craig's List or maybe who knows? This shop is mainly a golf supplies store with loads of shafts new and pulls including many NOS shafts. Last winter they started taking consignments and now have about ten times as much used club inventory as does the local Golf Galaxy. So before I left with my Cobras, I inspected all the wedges closely and lo and behold, here's a Vokey 58/12 in natural finish-- "Soft Metal" -- for ten bucks. Since my best 58* is a Mizuno MP Series that I haven't gotten along with much, I scarfed up the Vokey. Doesn't even need a new grip. It goes into battle with me early Saturday morning in what will be my last round in the Playoffs. Trial by Fire.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:55 pm

Mongrel wrote:So I had my Cobra FP irons, 2008 version, with the Aldila By You graphite shafts-- 4 through Gapper -- on consignment in a local golf shop since around early April and no takers. So I stopped by earlier today since I was on the road for work and took them back. Maybe Craig's List or maybe who knows? This shop is mainly a golf supplies store with loads of shafts new and pulls including many NOS shafts. Last winter they started taking consignments and now have about ten times as much used club inventory as does the local Golf Galaxy. So before I left with my Cobras, I inspected all the wedges closely and lo and behold, here's a Vokey 58/12 in natural finish-- "Soft Metal" -- for ten bucks. Since my best 58* is a Mizuno MP Series that I haven't gotten along with much, I scarfed up the Vokey. Doesn't even need a new grip. It goes into battle with me early Saturday morning in what will be my last round in the Playoffs. Trial by Fire.
    sh$$$t, how could U go wrong with ten bucks, I would do the same in a heart beat.... Hey, I heard the condition is excellent at Pilgrim's Oak

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:02 pm