The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+25
Dixon Cox
mtz4life
Mongrel
Big Dave
The Ghost of FD
Hubijerk
BBQpig
SoonerBS
Player
msal13
californiataxes
FreakOfNature
Dirtsquirrel
Fluffy
Poe4soul
jmtbkr
12pierogi
Horseballs
Kiwigolfer
jetdriver
Lord Helmet
Golfaholic
JonT
Olderplayer
Lorenzzo
29 posters

Club Ho'ing

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Club Ho'ing  - Page 26 Empty Mizuno MP-9

Post  FamousDavis Tue May 28, 2013 8:10 pm

Spotted these on Craigslist today. I owned this set in 1992 and they are the softest forging I've ever tried. Beautiful clubs. I don't think they are worth $500 but, on the other hand, it's hard to come by a set in this condition.

Check it out: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/spo/3835342256.html

[img]Club Ho'ing  - Page 26 Z_mizu10[/img]
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Club Ho'ing  - Page 26 Empty Re: Club Ho'ing

Post  Fluffy Wed May 29, 2013 4:17 am

Sold my titleist 909D3 and bought a Ping i15 9.5degree with an Tour Issue X-Flex UST Avixcore Black 69series shaft.

hitting it in the nets said my launch was lower.So I immediately took it. Paid less then the 909D3.

Got on the range and was shocked how high this thing launches. Was reading up on the shaft and they said it was a high launch low spinning shaft.

Currently I have an issue with high launch and high spin. Because I dont want to spend the money on an aftermarket shaft. Nor is there freely and 2nd hand shafts available.

Any get on course.....

My mind was blown..

I was hitting the driver about 10-15yards HIGHER then I normally do. but I could feel there was less spin on the ball...These where with range balls

The first ball I hit was OB because i wasnt warmed up yet etc etc etc.

The next shot sailed 30meters past my previous best on this hole,went about 10-15yards higher then usaul,but had noticable less spin....
    The next hole a short par4 310meters I hit 20meters over the green with a slight high draw. I was always next to this green, all of the sudden 20meters past it...

hit a couple of 300meter drives this round.

Proved to me that less spin is the way to go & not to consider launching to much.

PS I still dont like the high ball flight!!!Dont care what the numbers say.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed May 29, 2013 8:29 am

FamousDavis wrote:Spotted these on Craigslist today. I owned this set in 1992 and they are the softest forging I've ever tried. Beautiful clubs. I don't think they are worth $500 but, on the other hand, it's hard to come by a set in this condition.

Those are real beauties, appear to be in excellent condition, and have R300 shafts which must be extremely rare for that model. Real impressive for 300 clams (not the Pismo variety). Its not hard to figure out who the MP 14's parents were after seeing those. Speaking of which I put my MP 14 pitching wedge into my bag as the gap wedge since its 50 degrees and my MX PW is 46*. So far it has performed a good bit better than my Vokey 52 on everything from short chips to full 100 yard shots.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu May 30, 2013 5:45 pm

Fluffy wrote:Sold my titleist 909D3 and bought a Ping i15 9.5degree with an Tour Issue X-Flex UST Avixcore Black 69series shaft.

hitting it in the nets said my launch was lower.So I immediately took it. Paid less then the 909D3.

Got on the range and was shocked how high this thing launches. Was reading up on the shaft and they said it was a high launch low spinning shaft.

Currently I have an issue with high launch and high spin. Because I dont want to spend the money on an aftermarket shaft. Nor is there freely and 2nd hand shafts available.

Any get on course.....

My mind was blown..

I was hitting the driver about 10-15yards HIGHER then I normally do. but I could feel there was less spin on the ball...These where with range balls

The first ball I hit was OB because i wasnt warmed up yet etc etc etc.

The next shot sailed 30meters past my previous best on this hole,went about 10-15yards higher then usaul,but had noticable less spin....
    The next hole a short par4 310meters I hit 20meters over the green with a slight high draw. I was always next to this green, all of the sudden 20meters past it...

hit a couple of 300meter drives this round.

Proved to me that less spin is the way to go & not to consider launching to much.

PS I still dont like the high ball flight!!!Dont care what the numbers say.

You should have got the Ping i20 driver. It feels/looks better than the i15 and is even longer. Lots of guys can hit it 300.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu May 30, 2013 6:05 pm

I broke the Axis Blue shaft on my 909D3 in a match last Thursday. On Saturday, I picked through about 100 pulled driver shafts at the friendly shop near me and came up with an Aldila Rip Gamma 60 in regular flex and ho'd it out the door for $15.00. I will be using it in my upcoming match Saturday morning. I hit about 40 balls with it at the mat range last Monday afternoon and it felt real strong with a good bit lower trajectory and about the straightest shaft I ever hit. Of course I couldn't see where they were landing or how much roll-out there was. Just have to wait for the golf course to see. This shaft has the skull with the yellow (company calls them "gold eyes") so I will match that skull with my yellow Wilson Duo in an attempt to slay the Dragon. I'm liking this 909D3 head a lot the more I play it.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu May 30, 2013 6:16 pm

I should really stay clear of golf shops. Today during lunch I was browsing at Golf Mart and saw a set of very nice condition MP-32 irons with Dynamic Gold Stiff for $129. We're talking great condition with no rusting on the faces, very light bag chatter and pimp shiny. I used my 15% off coupon and got them out the door including tax for $119. 3-PW, brah's. That is indeed the shizzle right there. Booyaa!
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu May 30, 2013 6:27 pm

Deal. Those would be deuce and a quarter at a store near me. Hell, I might even scarf them up since I have some light steel shafts lying around.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:10 am

Picked up an MX-20 exsar graphite shaft 3'iron. I'll pull the MP-62 4 iron, and see how this works. It looks mint.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:12 am

FamousDavis wrote:I should really stay clear of golf shops. Today during lunch I was browsing at Golf Mart and saw a set of very nice condition MP-32 irons with Dynamic Gold Stiff for $129. We're talking great condition with no rusting on the faces, very light bag chatter and pimp shiny. I used my 15% off coupon and got them out the door including tax for $119. 3-PW, brah's. That is indeed the shizzle right there. Booyaa!

Nicely done FD. Now if you can keep them, which something tells me you saw the light. Sweet irons.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:38 pm

I put the Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.7 into play today. I love the way this putter looks at address. One thing I'll say about this line of Cameron putters--the feel is superb. I didn't sink a lot of putts today but I had several 20+ footers that I barely missed and left within a foot of the hole. I bought it used but it basically looks brand new. It's easy to line up. I like the anser-style putters that have the shaft bored right into the putterhead.
    [img]Club Ho'ing  - Page 26 Scotty10[/img]
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:45 am

FamousDavis wrote:Spotted these on Craigslist today. I owned this set in 1992 and they are the softest forging I've ever tried. Beautiful clubs. I don't think they are worth $500 but, on the other hand, it's hard to come by a set in this condition.

A senior PGA teaching pro I got to know, we got to be drinking buddy's, gave me some lessons on my short game, 7 or 8 he had this beautiful swing that reminded me of Freddie Couples, had those irons in a staff bag in his office.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:42 pm

Price is now $300. Offered the dude $200. He kept trying for more but I wouldn't budge. I was sturdy as the Guns of Navarone. I am a rock, I am an island.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:46 pm

I've been looking to scarf a set of Mizuno MX 25's to upgrade my arsenal. There's a local guy who advertises a set of 3 through PW with Dynalite Gold SL stiff shafts for $250. I email him two weeks ago to ask if the lies and lofts have been adjusted and what the lengths are. So he starts an email chain etc. etc. and eventually says he'll sell me these for $170. I write him that the set of irons I'm using now I got off Ebay for $69 and that I'm looking at a couple of sets on Ebay. But the damn things are selling too high for me. Until yesterday when a set of 3-PW comes on with a $99 buy it now and I did. The reason they were cheap is some of the faces are browning but that doesn't bother me and the shafts on the 5 through wedge are Dynalite Gold XP S300's and the 3 and 4 have Dynalight Gold SL R300 shafts. Don't care about that either. Patience always pays off. To paraphrase Marx (Karl, not Groucho), those blades will fall into your hands like over-ripe grapes.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:44 pm

Mongrel wrote:I've been looking to scarf a set of Mizuno MX 25's to upgrade my arsenal. There's a local guy who advertises a set of 3 through PW with Dynalite Gold SL stiff shafts for $250. I email him two weeks ago to ask if the lies and lofts have been adjusted and what the lengths are. So he starts an email chain etc. etc. and eventually says he'll sell me these for $170. I write him that the set of irons I'm using now I got off Ebay for $69 and that I'm looking at a couple of sets on Ebay. But the damn things are selling too high for me. Until yesterday when a set of 3-PW comes on with a $99 buy it now and I did. The reason they were cheap is some of the faces are browning but that doesn't bother me and the shafts on the 5 through wedge are Dynalite Gold XP S300's and the 3 and 4 have Dynalight Gold SL R300 shafts. Don't care about that either. Patience always pays off. To paraphrase Marx (Karl, not Groucho), those blades will fall into your hands like over-ripe grapes.

MX-23 and MX-25 are odd irons for resale. Sometimes I'll go to 3balls and they've got a set selling for $200 and other times they are $129, same condition. The best prices I've seen on those is at Golf Galaxy. I was there today and saw a set of Cobra SZ irons with the stock Aldila HV-S grahite stiff shafts for $129, 4-PW & GW. That's an amazing price for what once was a very expensive iron set. I'd try them but I've given up on graphite.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:07 am

Mongrel wrote:I've been looking to scarf a set of Mizuno MX 25's to upgrade my arsenal. There's a local guy who advertises a set of 3 through PW with Dynalite Gold SL stiff shafts for $250. I email him two weeks ago to ask if the lies and lofts have been adjusted and what the lengths are. So he starts an email chain etc. etc. and eventually says he'll sell me these for $170. I write him that the set of irons I'm using now I got off Ebay for $69 and that I'm looking at a couple of sets on Ebay. But the damn things are selling too high for me. Until yesterday when a set of 3-PW comes on with a $99 buy it now and I did. The reason they were cheap is some of the faces are browning but that doesn't bother me and the shafts on the 5 through wedge are Dynalite Gold XP S300's and the 3 and 4 have Dynalight Gold SL R300 shafts. Don't care about that either. Patience always pays off. To paraphrase Marx (Karl, not Groucho), those blades will fall into your hands like over-ripe grapes.

Sounds like you've completed your best of the mx collection, maybe some mx-300 should be added. There clean in appearance.

The only thing that grated on me about the mx-25 was the Hemi cog emblem. There's only one Hemi it's from Detroit made by Chrysler.
    Now if they moved Mizuno into the old plant where Hemis were made, that would be a different story. I'd get a job there, or be one of there best customers.
    I almost pulled the trigger on some mp-53 6-pw with 4-5 Jpx pro. I refrained.

Well got a tee time shortly at Swan lake. May take my buddy's SS El Camino I helped build, with a roller cam smallblock, 4.10 geared posi 3,000 stall converter, demon carb. He's had that car since I was 13. I've worked on it for 37 years. It's all pro,d out now, runs about as good as my Challenger with a 100 less cubes.
    P.s I'm bagging my MX-20 3 iron with an s300 till the one with the graphite pky shaft gets here. I bomb that club straighter than almost any club in the bag.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:23 am

FamousDavis wrote:

MX-23 and MX-25 are odd irons for resale. Sometimes I'll go to 3balls and they've got a set selling for $200 and other times they are $129, same condition. The best prices I've seen on those is at Golf Galaxy. I was there today and saw a set of Cobra SZ irons with the stock Aldila HV-S grahite stiff shafts for $129, 4-PW & GW. That's an amazing price for what once was a very expensive iron set. I'd try them but I've given up on graphite.

If you would bag those MP-32 and replace a couple of the long irons with something a little less intimidating, you may take your game to a new level like me. For me it's the mx line, may look into a mx-300 though the 20 seems perfect for me.
    Golfing nirvana FD golfing nirvana. When I found the sweetspot on the 32 I had it was sublime. These 62 are right there though.
    It doesn't get any better bro, Ho.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:14 pm

I've hit both the MX 200 and 300 irons indoors in stores and neither of them felt as good as the 25's. Probably the shafts. We'll see. As for the "Hemi COG" labels, I understand that they can be removed easily and since I am a tinkerer and modifier by nature, they may well be excised from my sticks. As for Hemi, itself, I agreed that the only real king of the Hemi's is Mopar with which I first became acquainted as a boy of eight years when my father got a brand new 1955 Chrysler 300 with the 331 cubic inch 300 horsepower Hemi. Several years later this became my field car.

Now on a smaller scale, I remember that BMW touted its two litre four cylinder motor as having hemispherical combustion chambers and that was one of the factors leading to my purchase of a new 1971 2002 in December of 1970. Of all the cars I've owned, the one I'd like to have back today.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:49 pm

Golfmart is having a 15% off used clubs sale until June 30th. I'm giddy with excitement. Today I browsed the used iron sets and tried several out. After much deliberation I took home two sets, both of which I believe I could sell on Craigslist for a $50 profit, if not more.

* Ping Zing Irons, JZ Shafts, Ping grips, Orange Dot, great shape - $110. Hey, these feel great! Lee Westwood used these for over 10 years and never won a major. He changed clubs and STILL hasn't won a major. Also, Steve Scott used these clubs to lose to Tiger in the final round of the US Amateur. I think I may have hit them better because of the flatter lie. I put one of those sticky ball mark doo-dads on the face and I was hitting it dead center. Another weird thing--when I put the sticker on the face the launch monitor read that my shots were traveling 10 yards further. Sometimes 15 yards further. I wonder why?

Wilson FG Tour Irons, Project X 6.0 shafts, 3-PW. I'd rate these a 9/10. Great condition. I paid $135 for them. That's a steal if you ask me. I think they went for $799 new when they came out 5 years ago. Same thing with the face sticker. Ball flew 10 yards further when stuck to the face.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:24 pm

FamousDavis wrote:Golfmart is having a 15% off used clubs sale until June 30th. I'm giddy with excitement. Today I browsed the used iron sets and tried several out. After much deliberation I took home two sets, both of which I believe I could sell on Craigslist for a $50 profit, if not more.

* Ping Zing Irons, JZ Shafts, Ping grips, Orange Dot, great shape - $110. Hey, these feel great! Lee Westwood used these for over 10 years and never won a major. He changed clubs and STILL hasn't won a major. Also, Steve Scott used these clubs to lose to Tiger in the final round of the US Amateur. I think I may have hit them better because of the flatter lie. I put one of those sticky ball mark doo-dads on the face and I was hitting it dead center. Another weird thing--when I put the sticker on the face the launch monitor read that my shots were traveling 10 yards further. Sometimes 15 yards further. I wonder why?

Wilson FG Tour Irons, Project X 6.0 shafts, 3-PW. I'd rate these a 9/10. Great condition. I paid $135 for them. That's a steal if you ask me. I think they went for $799 new when they came out 5 years ago. Same thing with the face sticker. Ball flew 10 yards further when stuck to the face.

Didn't Ricki Barnes use those Wilson irons to never win an event on the PGA Tour? As for the increased distance when hitting irons with face stickers attached, the stickers hide the grooves which takes spin off the ball so that it carries farther given enough clubhead speed. I predict this will be the new trend in iron design but those stickers will have to be permanently attached to conform with USGA specs.

And as for Wilson clubs, how come the guy named Wilson on the PGA Tour plays Pings?
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Club Ho'ing  - Page 26 Empty Latest Club ho'ing

Post  FamousDavis Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:17 pm

I've recently procured the following from Golf Galaxy:

Mizuno MP-62 irons, 3-PW, Mizuno Exsar Graphite shafts (regular). 8/10 condition for $110. This may be the best deal I've seen.

Cobra SZ Irons, 4-PW & GW, Aldila VS Proto HV Stiff shafts (graphite), $115.

Then I went over to Golf Mart and saw the following:

A near new set of Titleist 755 irons with Dynamic Gold S400 shafts. Maybe one round on them. $149.

Titleist AP1 710 irons, 5-PW & GW for $249.

Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:31 pm

Hit the new-to-me Mizuno MX 25's first time yesterday and second time today at range off rubber mats. Good irons. Ebay seller said that clubs were standard length but they are all 1/2 to 3/4 inch over and I can even hit the 4 solid by choking up two inches. I may end up soft-stepping them later on and cutting them down to Mizuno standards. $99 Buy It Now.

Ho'd a new (pull-out) driver shaft yesterday. Mitsubishi "Ilima made for Titleist 60 Stiff installed in the 909 DComp head. Hit lots of balls at range with it and I think this one is a keeper but we'll see what happens next weekend at the club comp. $15.00. and $3.47 for a Lambkin 3Gen Wrap grip that is a new product and about the tackiest grip I've felt since Neumann leathers. Golf Galaxy currently has them on sale. I may end up buying them for the Mizuno's when I cut the shafts down.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:08 pm

Mongrel wrote:Hit the new-to-me Mizuno MX 25's first time yesterday and second time today at range off rubber mats. Good irons. Ebay seller said that clubs were standard length but they are all 1/2 to 3/4 inch over and I can even hit the 4 solid by choking up two inches. I may end up soft-stepping them later on and cutting them down to Mizuno standards. $99 Buy It Now.

Ho'd a new (pull-out) driver shaft yesterday. Mitsubishi "Ilima made for Titleist 60 Stiff installed in the 909 DComp head. Hit lots of balls at range with it and I think this one is a keeper but we'll see what happens next weekend at the club comp. $15.00. and $3.47 for a Lambkin 3Gen Wrap grip that is a new product and about the tackiest grip I've felt since Neumann leathers. Golf Galaxy currently has them on sale. I may end up buying them for the Mizuno's when I cut the shafts down.

I hate that when an ebay seller doesn't get the length right. You can't choke down on them to make it work. If they are too long for you then you're basically screwed because shortening them will throw the weight off. One time I bought some Wilson FG-51 blades that were advertised as standard and when I took them to the range i realized they were 2 inches over standard. I literally couldn't hit them.

The MX-25 is a nice iron but I like the MX-200 better. What I really don't like about all of those MX irons is the Dynalite Gold shafts. Too spinny and too high launching for me. I saw a set of MX-200 irons, 4-GW with Dynalite Gold S300 at GG the other day. Nice condition but I could see them spinning the ball in the simulator and I lost distance. Put some project X shafts in those babies an they'd put the scoot scoot in your boot boot.

I'm excited about trying out my Taylormade CGB Max irons with the black steel shafts. They've got those bright lime green golf pride grips that just were introduced a few months ago. They feel different than any other iron I've tried. I guess they were hella' expensive when they came out.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:30 am

Sounds like everyone's been busy hoing. When does the madness stop?

Mongrel those mx-25 are pretty nice. One of the things I like about them is the dynalite shafts. One of the few shafts that plays to the flex, to me s300 in a dynalite SL feels stiffer then a dg s300, or any of those s300 shafts from the past, senishafts, or more recently KBS.

FD those cgb max are some seriously easy to hit irons, and they go real high, and there huge.

I hit some used drivers from a range owner, he goes to all kinds of golf galaxy stores and cleans out the used bins of nice stuff. Chicago, Detroit etc..
    I hit the Ping g15 g20 i15 i20 a couple 909 a 910 they had a 913 I should have hit. I kind of liked a g15 in 8.5 with some kind of tfc shaft in stiff. Also the smaller 909 I hit pretty good over and over. There just so ginormous.
    I took home a driver that had BBLB on the headcover 9.5 loft R.I.P shaft in stiff, FCT. I like that shaft, it feels so good to me, and when you hit this sucker on the screws it's seriously long. Maybe the longest driver I've hit.
    Anyone know what it is? Anyone.
    Club Ho'ing  - Page 26 80C869CC-9D61-41F6-804C-A54E835DBDEC-1913-00000348FEC98C9D_zpsf6a3359e

Last edited by 12pierogi on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:25 am

12pierogi wrote:Sounds like everyone's been busy hoing. When does the madness stop?

Mongrel those mx-25 are pretty nice. One of the things I like about them is the dynalite shafts. One of the few shafts that plays to the flex, to me s300 in a dynalite SL feels stiffer then a dg s300, or any of those s300 shafts from the past, senishafts, or more recently KBS.

FD those cgb max are some seriously easy to hit irons, and they go real high, and there huge.

I hit some used drivers from a range owner, he goes to all kinds of golf galaxy stores and cleans out the used bins of nice stuff. Chicago, Detroit etc..
    I hit the Ping g15 g20 i15 i20 a couple 909 a 910 they had a 913 I should have hit. I kind of liked a g15 in 8.5 with some kind of tfc shaft in stiff. Also the smaller 909 I hit pretty good over and over. There just so ginormous.
    I took home a driver that had BBLB on the headcover 9.5 loft R.I.P shaft in stiff, FCT. I like that shaft, it feels so good to me, and when you hit this sucker on the screws it's seriously long. Maybe the longest driver I've hit.

The shafts in the 5-PW are Dynalite Gold XP's, not the SL's, that weigh about the same as the old Dynalites. They are stiff flex but so far I've been hitting them OK. At a 6 iron swing speed of 85, I guess I'm on the cusp of regular and stiff.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:00 pm

Mongrel wrote:
    12pierogi wrote:Sounds like everyone's been busy hoing. When does the madness stop?

The shafts in the 5-PW are Dynalite Gold XP's, not the SL's, that weigh about the same as the old Dynalites. They are stiff flex but so far I've been hitting them OK. At a 6 iron swing speed of 85, I guess I'm on the cusp of regular and stiff.

You would probably like KBS tour in stiff, as they feel between reg and stiff.
    I remember you saying your a low ball hitter, that would be another thing in favor of a KBS tour in your mx-25. Great feeling shafts, but not for a high ball hitter.
    I remember demoing some mx 300 I believe they had XP shafts, they felt pretty good, but never hit them on a course.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:56 am