The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+25
Dixon Cox
mtz4life
Mongrel
Big Dave
The Ghost of FD
Hubijerk
BBQpig
SoonerBS
Player
msal13
californiataxes
FreakOfNature
Dirtsquirrel
Fluffy
Poe4soul
jmtbkr
12pierogi
Horseballs
Kiwigolfer
jetdriver
Lord Helmet
Golfaholic
JonT
Olderplayer
Lorenzzo
29 posters

Club Ho'ing

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Club Ho'ing  - Page 18 Empty Re: Club Ho'ing

Post  FamousDavis Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:59 am

Mostly German wrote:And then there's the Dynalite XP or Black or something similar that felt really nice in some iron I hit around the same time I hit the KBS Tour 90. The XP was in a Mizuno MP head I think and was an S300. Not much different feeling from the KBS. And a good bit cheaper.

I'm not fond of Dynalite XP or Dynalite 90 shafts due to the fact that they are best swung by a slow swinger who allows the clubhead to do the work. Generally speaking, that kind of swing doesn't match my profile. I have found that whippy shafts tend to work flawlessly on the range but once taken to the course they fail meserably as the swing gets quicker.

I'm pleasantly taken with the Rifle FCM 6.0 shafts in my Callaway X-16 pro series irons. I am not speaking of the Callaway stock rifle shaft that comes stock with the majority of these sets. Instead, I am speaking of a special order shaft installed at the Callaway factory.

Naturally, whilst perusing the local golf store, I found something else that wet my pallet quite nicely. After yesterday's mediocre round I trekked to golf mart and discovered a minty fresh set of Callaway X-22 Tour irons, 3-PW with Project X 5.5 shafts and the new Callaway grips for $249. I estimate I can grift them down to $199 and persuade them to throw in a fresh set of naked lady tees. These clubs feel quite nice and the distance I was getting was superb. 165 yard 7 irons, lads. Like my great grandfather used to say..."that dog shall hunt".

I was quite annoyed by the salesperson's overzealous behavior and ignorance of most things golf. He displayed his meager intelligence by asking "what irons are you playing now?" or trying to explain the intracacies of shaft flex, optimum flight, etc. Can you imagine that? Someone trying to talk to ME about equipment? But, no harm, no foul I say. Let the poor fool rant.

Next, I drove home and watched an incredibly boring golf tournament on TV. No Rory, No Tiger. Just a couple of common folk I've never had the good luck of seeing before. The person who won the tournament was clearly coming off a lucky streak of shots and was depressingly slow on the course. An analogy comes to mind of watching ice melt.

Fowler made a run for it in the end. This young man has the most athletic swing I've seen since Charles B. Gutillius. My estimation is that one major will propel him into superstardom. I believe that most golf analyst, mostly due to majoring in Physical Education or Native American History, haven't a clue when it comes to deciding the next great player. It is clearly Fowler but only if he can win one or two additional tournaments sooner rather than later.. Once that task is completed, the sky will be the limit.

This is a gentleman who is young, owns his swing and is an aggressive putter. I believe that his time is coming very soon. We shall see, won't we?
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Club Ho'ing  - Page 18 Empty My latest bag 'o clubs

Post  FamousDavis Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:11 pm

I know you've all been on the edge of your seats waiting to hear what's in FD's bag. Club Ho'ing  - Page 18 Smiley-excited002

Well, without further adieu, here you go.......Club Ho'ing  - Page 18 Golf

Ping G15 Driver, 9 Degree, Ping TFC 149D STiff Shaft.

Ping i10 irons, 4-PW with Z-z65 Steel shafts, Blue Dot.

Ping iwedges 52 & 56 degrees,

Ping Ally 2 putter

Callaway Steelhead 3+ fairway

Cobra Baffler 18 degree and 23 degree

That's all folks! I really like the Ping i10 irons. Don't mess with me when I play these Club Ho'ing  - Page 18 Smiley-sw001

Can't wait to put them into play this weekendClub Ho'ing  - Page 18 Greensmilies-028
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:22 pm

Forgot the most important piece of kit. The piece that is in the game for every play from first tee to the hole on 18 green. The hero or goat. The MVP or the BPOS. Hint: what is white and has dimples even with no smile?
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:51 pm

You are right! I can't believe I missed that Club Ho'ing  - Page 18 Smiley-whacky086

Anyway, I'm playing the Callaway Hex Black Tour. It's a good ball.

Well, gotta run..Club Ho'ing  - Page 18 Dog
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:06 pm

FamousDavis wrote:You are right! I can't believe I missed that Club Ho'ing  - Page 18 Smiley-whacky086

Anyway, I'm playing the Callaway Hex Black Tour. It's a good ball.

Well, gotta run..Club Ho'ing  - Page 18 Dog

Just two days ago I was in the local Golf Galaxy and picked up a dozen-box of the Top Flite (Callawy's poor relatives) Gamer, Version 2. I had a dozen of the first version that came out when G.W. Bush was still POTUS. They were sticky feeling and sort of a sickly off-white but spun like Banshees on Meth. I paid $19.95 for those and they are all lone gone. So these V2's were priced at $12.97 and how could I resist? The new packaging is a real bastard because you have to break open the box and then a sleeve to actually see what the balls look like. Well these new Gamers are bright white, still have the little tit nipples inside the dimples, but are not sticky and the graphics are much improved. I'm psyched.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:23 pm

Mostly German wrote:Just two days ago I was in the local Golf Galaxy and picked up a dozen-box of the Top Flite (Callawy's poor relatives) Gamer, Version 2. I had a dozen of the first version that came out when G.W. Bush was still POTUS. They were sticky feeling and sort of a sickly off-white but spun like Banshees on Meth. I paid $19.95 for those and they are all lone gone. So these V2's were priced at $12.97 and how could I resist? The new packaging is a real bastard because you have to break open the box and then a sleeve to actually see what the balls look like. Well these new Gamers are bright white, still have the little tit nipples inside the dimples, but are not sticky and the graphics are much improved. I'm psyched.

Before Xmas Rockbottomgolf had them for $9.99/dozen... so I bought a box of 6 dozens
    I also bought 4 dozens of Callay Warbird 2 at GG for $9.99/dozen
    I also bought 3 dozens of Wilson Duo (40 compression)for $9.99/ dozen

I am all set for the season

jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:39 pm

Pky6471 wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:Just two days ago I was in the local Golf Galaxy and picked up a dozen-box of the Top Flite (Callawy's poor relatives) Gamer, Version 2. I had a dozen of the first version that came out when G.W. Bush was still POTUS. They were sticky feeling and sort of a sickly off-white but spun like Banshees on Meth. I paid $19.95 for those and they are all lone gone. So these V2's were priced at $12.97 and how could I resist? The new packaging is a real bastard because you have to break open the box and then a sleeve to actually see what the balls look like. Well these new Gamers are bright white, still have the little tit nipples inside the dimples, but are not sticky and the graphics are much improved. I'm psyched.

Before Xmas Rockbottomgolf had them for $9.99/dozen... so I bought a box of 6 dozens

Picked up a 100 near mint srixon zstars (various models) for 60 bucks. Went thru the box and found five that had minor scuffs. Ready for the season also. Maybe!
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:28 pm

jt1135 wrote:
    Pky6471 wrote:

Picked up a 100 near mint srixon zstars (various models) for 60 bucks. Went thru the box and found five that had minor scuffs. Ready for the season also. Maybe!

Picked up two 2-paks of Wilson Duo balls at golf mart today. The Wilson rep was giving them out. Also for sale are a dozen Wilson Duo "cosmetic blemish" balls for $9.99. They don't have any x-out markings on them or anything indicating that something is wrong.

Has anyone other than William Tournquist the IV tried the Wilson Duo. Anyone? Club Ho'ing  - Page 18 Thanks
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:36 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    jt1135 wrote:
    Pky6471 wrote:

Used it last fall as I was looking for a lower compression ball for the cold weather. It was ok. Decent length and seemed to putt well.

Picked up two 2-paks of Wilson Duo balls at golf mart today. The Wilson rep was giving them out. Also for sale are a dozen Wilson Duo "cosmetic blemish" balls for $9.99. They don't have any x-out markings on them or anything indicating that something is wrong.

Has anyone other than William Tournquist the IV tried the Wilson Duo. Anyone? Club Ho'ing  - Page 18 Thanks
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:23 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    jt1135 wrote:
    Pky6471 wrote:

We use the duo in the winter for par 3 snowplow tournaments. Nice and soft to around zero Fahrenheit.
    I'm going to burn up a sleeve of dt solo, and move on to me Maxfli u/4 I need to pick up some range balls for me backyard. 200-300 should do it.
    I always keep a sleeve of pro v1 in the bag.
    JonT
    JonT

Post  JonT Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:04 pm

Just before Xmas last year, a one-stop-shopping store near me had a clearance of left over 2012 model balls; I picked up 4 dozen Callaway Diablo HX Tour for $6.49/doz; 3 dozen Taylormade TP5 for $11.49/doz.; 2 dozen Taylormade Burner Tour for $11.49 double dozen. I played the Diablo HX Tours in Florida, and again in Alabama where I am now; I am really impressed with these. Good distance off the driver; very good spin for a medium priced ball, one or two hops and stop; good feel with the putter. Durability is good as i have played 2 rounds with the same ball, and it's still good to go. Does anybody know what replaced these balls? Hex Chrome? I don't know what they could have done to make this ball better, maybe just packaging.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:49 pm

FamousDavis wrote:I know you've all been on the edge of your seats waiting to hear what's in FD's bag. Club Ho'ing  - Page 18 Smiley-excited002

Well, without further adieu, here you go.......Club Ho'ing  - Page 18 Golf

Ping G15 Driver, 9 Degree, Ping TFC 149D STiff Shaft.

Ping i10 irons, 4-PW with Z-z65 Steel shafts, Blue Dot.

Ping iwedges 52 & 56 degrees,

Ping Ally 2 putter

Callaway Steelhead 3+ fairway

Cobra Baffler 18 degree and 23 degree

That's all folks! I really like the Ping i10 irons. Don't mess with me when I play these Club Ho'ing  - Page 18 Smiley-sw001

Can't wait to put them into play this weekendClub Ho'ing  - Page 18 Greensmilies-028

If you got a ping bag too that almost makes you one of those pretty boys at the course who have a totally matching set.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:16 am

JonT wrote:Just before Xmas last year, a one-stop-shopping store near me had a clearance of left over 2012 model balls; I picked up 4 dozen Callaway Diablo HX Tour for $6.49/doz; 3 dozen Taylormade TP5 for $11.49/doz.; 2 dozen Taylormade Burner Tour for $11.49 double dozen. I played the Diablo HX Tours in Florida, and again in Alabama where I am now; I am really impressed with these. Good distance off the driver; very good spin for a medium priced ball, one or two hops and stop; good feel with the putter. Durability is good as i have played 2 rounds with the same ball, and it's still good to go. Does anybody know what replaced these balls? Hex Chrome? I don't know what they could have done to make this ball better, maybe just packaging.

Al those balls from 2012 you mentioned at our shops currently cost per dozen:
    Diablo HX Tour - R280 ($35)
    TP5 - R480($60)
    Taylormade Tour Burner - +-R400 ($50)

"old" new stuff is never on special more then 25%!!!

Sh!t used ProVs per ball cost R22($2.50)
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:20 am

Fluffy wrote:
    JonT wrote:Just before Xmas last year, a one-stop-shopping store near me had a clearance of left over 2012 model balls; I picked up 4 dozen Callaway Diablo HX Tour for $6.49/doz; 3 dozen Taylormade TP5 for $11.49/doz.; 2 dozen Taylormade Burner Tour for $11.49 double dozen. I played the Diablo HX Tours in Florida, and again in Alabama where I am now; I am really impressed with these. Good distance off the driver; very good spin for a medium priced ball, one or two hops and stop; good feel with the putter. Durability is good as i have played 2 rounds with the same ball, and it's still good to go. Does anybody know what replaced these balls? Hex Chrome? I don't know what they could have done to make this ball better, maybe just packaging.

TP5 - R480($60)

Yes, we know what U mean... one of my friends from Paris who came to USA for a visit last fall bought at least 15 Lacoste T-Shirts because they would cost him at least 3X in France... He told me that Polo is not a preferred brand in Europe, Lacoste is disappointed
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:07 am

In 1966, a friend of my Australian aunt who was a diamond dealer from Amsterdam came over to visit for several months. Before he left to go back home, he bought two brand new Ford Mustang convertibles all loaded with the 289 V8 motors, leather seats, and whatever else they offered. He paid around $6,000 each for them and sold them in Holland for around $20,000 each. Being in the diamond business, he told us, enabled him to ship them over cheaply and to "avoid" any tariffs.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:33 am

Mostly German wrote:In 1966, a friend of my Australian aunt who was a diamond dealer from Amsterdam came over to visit for several months. Before he left to go back home, he bought two brand new Ford Mustang convertibles all loaded with the 289 V8 motors, leather seats, and whatever else they offered. He paid around $6,000 each for them and sold them in Holland for around $20,000 each. Being in the diamond business, he told us, enabled him to ship them over cheaply and to "avoid" any tariffs.

Can they ship hơokers to Amsterdam cheaply? Rolling Eyes
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:02 pm

Fluffy wrote:

TP5 - R480($60)

Wow that would be like a months wages for a black person, or kaffir as you locals like to refer to them. I thought stuff was always cheaper in third world countries?
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:14 am

Player wrote:
    Fluffy wrote:

TP5 - R480($60)

Wow that would be like a months wages for a black person, or k****** as you locals like to refer to them. I thought stuff was always cheaper in third world countries?

LOL. No Buddy. we get BEE going in the country. Black Econimic Empowerment. Wont go into detail about that but lets just say a white male has a 5% chance of getting a decent job in this country,no matter what your studies background is and how much you know. The blacks in our country runs the country and bussiness as all bussiness must be BEE compliant and consist of at least 50% black ownership.....

But the price of golf balls are still rediculous.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:30 am

Fluffy wrote:
    Player wrote:
    Fluffy wrote:

TP5 - R480($60)

Wow that would be like a months wages for a black person, or k****** as you locals like to refer to them. I thought stuff was always cheaper in third world countries?

LOL. No Buddy. we get BEE going in the country. Black Econimic Empowerment. Wont go into detail about that but lets just say a white male has a 5% chance of getting a decent job in this country,no matter what your studies background is and how much you know. The blacks in our country runs the country and bussiness as all bussiness must be BEE compliant and consist of at least 50% black ownership.....

But the price of golf balls are still rediculous.
    Dont you mean blecks? Ive seen lethal weapon II, I know all about south efrica.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:38 am

Mostly German wrote:In 1966, a friend of my Australian aunt who was a diamond dealer from Amsterdam came over to visit for several months. Before he left to go back home, he bought two brand new Ford Mustang convertibles all loaded with the 289 V8 motors, leather seats, and whatever else they offered. He paid around $6,000 each for them and sold them in Holland for around $20,000 each. Being in the diamond business, he told us, enabled him to ship them over cheaply and to "avoid" any tariffs.

That was almost my first car, my dad took me to look at a 66 Mustang gt with the rallye Pak, white with red interior, and a red convertible top.
    I guess he sensed my lack of interest, especially since there was a 69 427 sc Yenko Camaro sitting next to it for sale for the same price.
    When I heard pretty much no way son, I said what about that car in the corner, as I pointed at a 69 hemi Roadrunner, with 13,000 miles, and dog dish hubcaps, automatic on the column, bench seat, green, for almost 2,000 less 4,800.
    Of course both the cars I wanted are in the stratosphere far as price now, the mustang not so much. They made so many of them, chick car.
    Guess what I got? That's right nothing. Ended up buying my first car pretty much by myself, a 67 rs Camaro. All I got was payment books. Character building moments in 12s life.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:17 am

You older guys had some pretty sweet options for cars. I turned 16 in 1990 and had to get a car for under $1000. Pops put up half, but had final say in the car since he would be the primary guy to fix it. Early 80's US cars were terrible. I got a manual '82 Datsun Stanza hatchback. I believe it was around $700.

That thing was a POS, but it was infinitely better than the '86 Cavalier my younger brother drove. My dad had a Nissan 300Z of the same year that was sweet. It was almost unbelievable that those two rides came out in the same year.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:30 am

12pierogi wrote:

That was almost my first car, my dad took me to look at a 66 Mustang gt with the rallye Pak, white with red interior, and a red convertible top.
    I guess he sensed my lack of interest, especially since there was a 69 427 sc Yenko Camaro sitting next to it for sale for the same price.
    When I heard pretty much no way son, I said what about that car in the corner, as I pointed at a 69 hemi Roadrunner, with 13,000 miles, and dog dish hubcaps, automatic on the column, bench seat, green, for almost 2,000 less 4,800.
    Of course both the cars I wanted are in the stratosphere far as price now, the mustang not so much. They made so many of them, chick car.
    Guess what I got? That's right nothing. Ended up buying my first car pretty much by myself, a 67 rs Camaro. All I got was payment books. Character building moments in 12s life.
    I have lots of desert miles in my friend's '67 Camoro RS with 350 and 4 speed. Yellow with black vinyl top. We were clocked by a CHP heading to Vegas at 3 AM at 135. Cop was cool and only wrote up an 85.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:51 am

Mostly German wrote:
    12pierogi wrote:

I have lots of desert miles in my friend's '67 Camoro RS with 350 and 4 speed. Yellow with black vinyl top. We were clocked by a CHP heading to Vegas at 3 AM at 135. Cop was cool and only wrote up an 85.

I had a couple years of fun in the Camaro, candy apple red, black vinyl roof, hideaway headlights.
    I made a huge mistake as my brother bought a 67 fastback 289 Mustang, and was bragging about how good it handles, and let me drive. That's right hit a tree in a curve I tried to straighten out, caved in the left rear quarter panel. I gave him my Camaro. Fuk
    I bought a 69 4wd Blazer with big tires, what a pos. More character building moments for 12.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:47 am

12pierogi wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:
    12pierogi wrote:

I had a couple years of fun in the Camaro, candy apple red, black vinyl roof, hideaway headlights.
    I made a huge mistake as my brother bought a 67 fastback 289 Mustang, and was bragging about how good it handles, and let me drive. That's right hit a tree in a curve I tried to straighten out, caved in the left rear quarter panel. I gave him my Camaro. Fuk
    I bought a 69 4wd Blazer with big tires, what a pos. More character building moments for 12.

I drove a VW Bug in high school and got all the chicks.

12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:18 pm

Somehow I don't believe that.
    #1 those cars were so small, the ability to get some was greatly diminished.
    #2 the chick appeal was on the low side.
    #3 you froze in those cars in the winter, as the heater sucked, and any chick would be outta there.
    #4 a buddy of mine had one, and we called him Hitler, he didn't get any leg, still don't.

The coolest thing was the spare tire, was what ran the windshield washer, the air pressure, the more air you put in the spare, the harder or more range you had by turning the washer nozzle sideways you could spray people on sidewalks as you drove by. Chicks didn't dig that.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 8:34 am