The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+25
Dixon Cox
mtz4life
Mongrel
Big Dave
The Ghost of FD
Hubijerk
BBQpig
SoonerBS
Player
msal13
californiataxes
FreakOfNature
Dirtsquirrel
Fluffy
Poe4soul
jmtbkr
12pierogi
Horseballs
Kiwigolfer
jetdriver
Lord Helmet
Golfaholic
JonT
Olderplayer
Lorenzzo
29 posters

Club Ho'ing

Mongrel
    Mongrel

Club Ho'ing  - Page 11 Empty Re: Club Ho'ing

Post  Mongrel Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:42 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    12pierogi wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:Those look real nice. You had a bunch more shots of them over at the other place recently. I just came back from cruising the local Golfsmith and Galaxy. Hit some drivers at Golfsmith. They had a vacant stall with one of the new Taylors and I hit it. I assume it is the one with the stripes on the crown but they had it all taped up. The closest salesman had that facepaint like the Taylor pros on the television ad. My best clubhead speed was 87. Later I stopped at Golf Galaxy on the way home and they had a pristine set of Mizuno MX 25's for $179. Now I hit the 7 and 5 in the launch monitor station with the screen and was getting about 86 mph clubhead speed with the 5 iron so I think that the Golfsmith monitor might have been a bit shy.

I'm not sure how long there going to look that good, as I'm going to beat the piss out of them when the weather breaks. My mp-62 may have to wait another season. That 8 iron felt real nice the other day.

Not being near a major metropolis is probably the only reason I am still married. I would be worse then you or FD about spending spare time frequenting the used bins, or beating new stuff in a simulator, or launch monitor. I spend enough time on eBay.

I sold a set of mx-25 not all that long ago, about 2 years ago, for a hefty profit, a demo set from a local course I picked up cheap. Sold them to a tall fellow in Australia as there were a inch long, I think he was going to lengthen them another inch, he seemed pretty happy that they were already long.
    Fat Phil is racking up the birdies in Scottsdale 180,000 people

Hey Mongrel you mentioned a way to measure swing weights with a ruler, and I guess a scale. What was the math on that again? Having 3 different shafts in a set makes me want to check them.

That's the problem with certain models of forged irons-that initial shine and finish becomes unattractive within a matter of months. What's interesting, is how some forged irons resist chrome wear, dents and scratches better than others. In my experience with forged irons, Mizuno is the worst when it comes to chrome loss and Callaway is the worst for dents and dings. Callaway's Diablo Forged irons look horrible after one year of use.

Surprisingly, the one forged club that seems to endure the longest is the Wilson FG-17. I had a set of those in high school and college that I must have played 300 rounds with and there was never any chrome loss on the face. I've seen used sets at stores that still look great.

The set of Mizuno MX 20's I got off Ebay a year ago show no signs of chrome deterioration. Of course there are some nicks from bag chatter but there is no discernable chrome loss from the faces or soles. Other used sets of this model I have seen have been in similar condition. The MP 14's I bought were well-used with some browning on the faces of the PW, 9 and 8, but the rest of the heads are about pristine. Contrast these with used Titleist forged clubs I have seen which all display substantial chrome loss. The newer MX Mizunos I have seen seem to have plating more susceptible to chrome loss.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:07 pm

Mostly German wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    12pierogi wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:Those look real nice. You had a bunch more shots of them over at the other place recently. I just came back from cruising the local Golfsmith and Galaxy. Hit some drivers at Golfsmith. They had a vacant stall with one of the new Taylors and I hit it. I assume it is the one with the stripes on the crown but they had it all taped up. The closest salesman had that facepaint like the Taylor pros on the television ad. My best clubhead speed was 87. Later I stopped at Golf Galaxy on the way home and they had a pristine set of Mizuno MX 25's for $179. Now I hit the 7 and 5 in the launch monitor station with the screen and was getting about 86 mph clubhead speed with the 5 iron so I think that the Golfsmith monitor might have been a bit shy.

I'm not sure how long there going to look that good, as I'm going to beat the piss out of them when the weather breaks. My mp-62 may have to wait another season. That 8 iron felt real nice the other day.

Not being near a major metropolis is probably the only reason I am still married. I would be worse then you or FD about spending spare time frequenting the used bins, or beating new stuff in a simulator, or launch monitor. I spend enough time on eBay.

I sold a set of mx-25 not all that long ago, about 2 years ago, for a hefty profit, a demo set from a local course I picked up cheap. Sold them to a tall fellow in Australia as there were a inch long, I think he was going to lengthen them another inch, he seemed pretty happy that they were already long.

Hey Mongrel you mentioned a way to measure swing weights with a ruler, and I guess a scale. What was the math on that again? Having 3 different shafts in a set makes me want to check them.

That's the problem with certain models of forged irons-that initial shine and finish becomes unattractive within a matter of months. What's interesting, is how some forged irons resist chrome wear, dents and scratches better than others. In my experience with forged irons, Mizuno is the worst when it comes to chrome loss and Callaway is the worst for dents and dings. Callaway's Diablo Forged irons look horrible after one year of use.

Surprisingly, the one forged club that seems to endure the longest is the Wilson FG-17. I had a set of those in high school and college that I must have played 300 rounds with and there was never any chrome loss on the face. I've seen used sets at stores that still look great.

The set of Mizuno MX 20's I got off Ebay a year ago show no signs of chrome deterioration. Of course there are some nicks from bag chatter but there is no discernable chrome loss from the faces or soles. Other used sets of this model I have seen have been in similar condition. The MP 14's I bought were well-used with some browning on the faces of the PW, 9 and 8, but the rest of the heads are about pristine. Contrast these with used Titleist forged clubs I have seen which all display substantial chrome loss. The newer MX Mizunos I have seen seem to have plating more susceptible to chrome loss.

My Mizuno MP-32 irons have heavy chrome loss on the 7-PW but the rest are fine. Surprisingly, the irons with chrome loss still have sharp/deep grooves. Actually, I find myself warming to the worn look because it gives me a little aiming area on the iron's face.

I have never played a better feeling iron in my life. The other day I had 185 yards to a pin tucked in the back part of the green. I took out my 4 iron, made a nice easy swing and hit a bullet that hit mid-green and rolled up 8 feet away from the flag. One of the best feeling, most satisfying shots I've ever hit. I now understand why people play forged irons. It's kind of like golf in that you hit a shot like that you keep coming back. Similarly, you feel a shot like that and you stick with Mizuno GFF.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:37 pm

I think I may have hit a 32 wedge or 7 iron at Golf Galaxy several years ago but never off real grass. I just got this set of Cobra FP's and was going to play them but decided to take my MX 20's to Florida next week instead. I might look for a set of 32's if they are cheap enough and stick some graphite shafts in them. They sort of look like MP 60's and I hated those clubs when I hit them at Golf Galaxy. Of course they had DG S300's in them but they felt really harsh and hard even when I hit shots dead on the sweet spots.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:57 pm

Here's the mp-32 I had a couple years ago. There a stunning looking iron. I was pretty warmed up with the mp-60 I played a few years. So I sold them after a 6-7 rounds. They had about that when I bought them. A doctor owned them, I stole them. They were one of nicest on eBay and went large.

Club Ho'ing  - Page 11 083_zpse0f4d103
    Club Ho'ing  - Page 11 081_zps73f2f4ce
    Club Ho'ing  - Page 11 084_zps9b52d5d6
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:43 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    12pierogi wrote:

I kind of went through that with the 300 forged Tm I have. They were not real pretty, even new, there kind of plain. Even the chrome is kind of half dull. But once you play them, you don't care about that anymore. They sat in the closet after I bought them for months. I couldn't put them away last summer.

I kind of take care of my stuff, I'm sure you can see that. I do keep covers on a couple long irons, same Mizunos I bought 10 years ago, they look like crap, I wrap 2 towels people lose, I buy, or I find around the irons, very little banging, or clanging. One towel has racing checker flags black and white. Winning. The others rotate as there washed.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:52 pm

jt1135 wrote:Dickering with a guy on a set of Yamaha sx 25s. Might be too much club tho, guessing the sweet spot is the size of a pea.

Of all the Yamahas, my favorite was my 1974 RD 350A. I regularly hit the sweet spots in all six gears.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:08 pm

Mostly German wrote:
    jt1135 wrote:Dickering with a guy on a set of Yamaha sx 25s. Might be too much club tho, guessing the sweet spot is the size of a pea.

Of all the Yamahas, my favorite was my 1974 RD 350A. I regularly hit the sweet spots in all six gears.

As U get older that sweet spot gets smaller like the size of a clit Razz
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:11 pm

Golfaholic wrote:God damn, you people buy and own a lot of golf clubs!

I picked up a 9º RocketBallz Tour on eBay last night. I had been searching and bidding on several auctions for a couple of weeks. I hate that most auctions don't include the head cover though. Cheap bastards want to sell it separate and make another $20.

I also got one of those Cam Caddie things that hold your Smart Phone with an Alignment stick so you can easily record your swing with your (in my case) iPhone. Be prepared for swing videos this summer!

Does anyone know if the wrench for an R11 3 wood will work with a RBZ?

Some of us have made some scratch by buying intelligent, and selling for a tidy profit. I don't think I ever lost money on a club, unless I decided to keep them and play the crap out of them. My mp-60 had 3 seasons on them, and I still got 3/4 of what I paid, same with my mx-23 all the others I actually made money.
    My motto is " Its better to have bought it and sold it, than not have owned it at all."

I think the wrench is the same on r9, r11 rbz just might want to make sure the torque is the same.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:14 pm

12pierogi wrote:
    Golfaholic wrote:God damn, you people buy and own a lot of golf clubs!

I picked up a 9º RocketBallz Tour on eBay last night. I had been searching and bidding on several auctions for a couple of weeks. I hate that most auctions don't include the head cover though. Cheap bastards want to sell it separate and make another $20.

I also got one of those Cam Caddie things that hold your Smart Phone with an Alignment stick so you can easily record your swing with your (in my case) iPhone. Be prepared for swing videos this summer!

Does anyone know if the wrench for an R11 3 wood will work with a RBZ?

Some of us have made some scratch by buying intelligent, and selling for a tidy profit. I don't think I ever lost money on a club, unless I decided to keep them and play the crap out of them. My mp-60 had 3 seasons on them, and I still got 3/4 of what I paid, same with my mx-23 all the others I actually made money.
    My motto is " Its better to have bought it and sold it, than not have owned it at all."

I think the wrench is the same on r9, r11 rbz just might want to make sure the torque is the same.

Did a little clubtest at the range yesterday. I hit 7 & 5 irons from the Wilson Pi5, Ping Eye 2, Mizuno MP-32 and Mizuno MX-11. Oh, and the Taylormade Burner 2.0 with graphite.

Taylormade 2.0 with graphite 65 stiff: Horrible. I hit two shots with the 7 iron and stopped. Just a horrible feeling club.

Mizuno MX-11: I didn't like this one either. The Dynalite R300 shaft didn't work for me. Too whippy. Everything was high and to the right-something I experience with shafts that are too whippy. Not a fade or slice, but more of a block.

Mizuno MP-32: Just awesome although I noticed a problem. Some of the clubs are too long and are inconsistent in length from club to club. For example, the 5 iron MP32 is a full inch longer than standard but the 7 iron is standard. Wierd, because I was hitting the 5 iron spectacular. These are by far the best clubs.

Ping Eye 2: Second best and just a joy to hit. Perfect flex for me. I love the PW.

Wilson Pi5: This set has Dynamic Gold R300 and I did find them a bit whippy. Also, I think they play short. But, for $55, I can't really go wrong.

That's all. Thanks for reading.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:28 pm

Did you get another set of MP 32's or were the 7 and 5 from the set you've been playing with?
    Golfaholic

Post  Golfaholic Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:17 pm

Picked up a brand new TM Rescue TP with MATRIX OZIK Altus for $56. And Puma Shoes.

12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:57 pm

Golfaholic wrote:Picked up a brand new TM Rescue TP with MATRIX OZIK Altus for $56. And Puma Shoes.

That's not a bad hybrid, I had one with that shaft. Felt nice. Face was a little closed on mine.
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:39 pm

Pky6471 wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:

As U get older that sweet spot gets smaller like the size of a clit Razz

I thought clits got larger as they age. Kind of like ears and noses. Good to know P KY Exclamation
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:50 am

[quote="FamousDavis"][quote="12pierogi"]
    Golfaholic wrote:
    Mizuno MP-32: Just awesome although I noticed a problem. Some of the clubs are too long and are inconsistent in length from club to club. For example, the 5 iron MP32 is a full inch longer than standard but the 7 iron is standard. Wierd, because I was hitting the 5 iron spectacular. These are by far the best clubs.

How long have you been playing them and you only notice it now????
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Club Ho'ing  - Page 11 Empty Indoor range session

Post  FamousDavis Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:38 pm

Tried the following: TM Rocketbladez with KBS Stiff, Adams CBS KBS 90 and Snake Eyes TC-O1. First of all, the RBZ Bladez simply hit the ball too far. I was hitting the 7 iron 175 to 180. So, what exactly am I supposed to use for 150 yards and under? It's a stupid progression in the industry and makes no sense other than sell more clubs, which I guess is the point. But, if you want to score you need irons that go precise distances without huge gaps. Seems kind of stupid to add a gap wedge that used to be your pitching wedge. Or even worse, add a sand wedge that is now the distance of your old pitching wedge.

Anyway, what HB said about KBS was right on - a little out of control feeling. They feel awesome but I'm all over the place.

Snake Eyes TC-01. Man these are nice looking. The shafts felt great and so did the heads. 7 iron was going 155 which is my normal distance. They were barely used, 3-PW for $49.99.

Now, here's the quandary....I'm not sure what shafts are in them. They appear to be look just like a Rifle shaft with no steps. However, I could see the little writing of 'sensicore' 3/4 down the shaft. Did True Temper make a shaft similar to the Rifle? I had it checked out in the clubfitting area and the guy told me it was between regular and stiff. He described it as 'firm'.

Anyone ever play or hit the Snake Eyes TC-01. Gentlemen?
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:51 pm

Poe4soul wrote:

I thought clits got larger as they age. Kind of like ears and noses. Good to know P KY Exclamation

I am not sure about that, they may get longer due to too much suction applied to them. Maybe Mongrel or JT knows since they talk about the size of a sweet spot disappointed
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:44 am

FamousDavis wrote:Tried the following: TM Rocketbladez with KBS Stiff, Adams CBS KBS 90 and Snake Eyes TC-O1. First of all, the RBZ Bladez simply hit the ball too far. I was hitting the 7 iron 175 to 180. So, what exactly am I supposed to use for 150 yards and under? It's a stupid progression in the industry and makes no sense other than sell more clubs, which I guess is the point. But, if you want to score you need irons that go precise distances without huge gaps. Seems kind of stupid to add a gap wedge that used to be your pitching wedge. Or even worse, add a sand wedge that is now the distance of your old pitching wedge.

Anyway, what HB said about KBS was right on - a little out of control feeling. They feel awesome but I'm all over the place.

Snake Eyes TC-01. Man these are nice looking. The shafts felt great and so did the heads. 7 iron was going 155 which is my normal distance. They were barely used, 3-PW for $49.99.

Now, here's the quandary....I'm not sure what shafts are in them. They appear to be look just like a Rifle shaft with no steps. However, I could see the little writing of 'sensicore' 3/4 down the shaft. Did True Temper make a shaft similar to the Rifle? I had it checked out in the clubfitting area and the guy told me it was between regular and stiff. He described it as 'firm'.

Anyone ever play or hit the Snake Eyes TC-01. Gentlemen?

About the KBS shafts I also like the way they felt, but the ones I have in the Cobra set didn't feel quite stiff. Hard stepping may be necessary.
    Those Snake eyes if I remember are kind of pretty. I had a set saved of a TC kind of combo set. They were sharp.
    Apollo makes a shaft that looks kind of like the Rifles, I think the tx 90 by true temper are smooth with a satin finish.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:52 am

I would love to play steel shafted irons but I hate to lose distance and its heaviness disappointed
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:13 pm

Just some old putters
    Ram zebra
    Yes Tracy II
    Ping pal 2 becu
    Yes Sophia
    Notice no sightline on the Yes putters, kind of rare. I like it
    Club Ho'ing  - Page 11 1B80037D-EF8D-422A-AB3C-857EBD16478E-2253-00000301591BF2B1_zpsb2f0dd92
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Club Ho'ing  - Page 11 Empty These is good club ho'n times

Post  FamousDavis Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:42 pm

There is a time to eat, a time to pray and a time to club ho'. That time was today.

Little did I know the club ho'ing that was in store for me today. I innocently went to Golf Mart and the next thing I knew I was demo'ing all sorts of used irons. The prices these days are unbelievable and it seems that a store will stoop to new lows to move used equipment. I procured the following which I will quickly try and resell:

Callaway X-Forged Irons with Project X 5.5, 3-PW for $131

Another set of Mizuno MX-11 irons in better shape than the last set for $29. Yes, $29.

Oh, and last but not least, a set of forged Macgregor V-Foil 1025 CM Irons 4-PW & SW with Rifle 5.5 in awesome condition for $52. [img]Club Ho'ing  - Page 11 Z_macg10[/img]
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:37 pm

FamousDavis wrote:There is a time to eat, a time to pray and a time to club ho'. That time was today.

Little did I know the club ho'ing that was in store for me today. I innocently went to Golf Mart and the next thing I knew I was demo'ing all sorts of used irons. The prices these days are unbelievable and it seems that a store will stoop to new lows to move used equipment. I procured the following which I will quickly try and resell:

Another set of Mizuno MX-11 irons in better shape than the last set for $29. Yes, $29.

Oh, and last but not least, a set of forged Macgregor V-Foil 1025 CM Irons 4-PW & SW with Rifle 5.5 in awesome condition for $52. [img]Club Ho'ing  - Page 11 Z_macg10[/img]

Those VIP are sure easy on the eyes. There like artwork.
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:42 pm

FamousDavis wrote:There is a time to eat, a time to pray and a time to club ho'. That time was today.

How do you like the v-foils? I always thought they looked good but I've never seen one in LH go give them a go.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:38 pm

Poe4soul wrote:

How do you like the v-foils? I always thought they looked good but I've never seen one in LH go give them a go.

I haven't hit them outside yet. In the simulator they certainly felt good but I really can't get a feel for how they'll perform at all. Many times I've had clubs feel outstanding in the simulator but I'd get out to the course and they wouldn't work for me at all. I've had the opposite happen as well.

I really need to tone down the ho'ing because now I have 8 sets of clubs, albeit cheap ones.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:06 pm

Oh my do those look good. I have been mildly interested in those for a little while after reading some posts somewhere on a golf forum but I forget where. I have been looking on Ebay at them. $52 is a steal. Maybe even I could play 5.5 flex rifles.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:13 am

Mostly German wrote:Oh my do those look good. I have been mildly interested in those for a little while after reading some posts somewhere on a golf forum but I forget where. I have been looking on Ebay at them. $52 is a steal. Maybe even I could play 5.5 flex rifles.

You probably could because they are actually 5.0, not 5.5. My mistake. They have a very unique look to them at address in that they appear much easier to hit than your average blade-type club. A little more offset and the club appears a little longer heel to toe but not in an awkward way.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:02 am