The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+5
FamousDavis
Lorenzzo
jt1135
Mongrel
Horseballs
9 posters

NFL 2014 - Official Thread

Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

NFL 2014 - Official Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: NFL 2014 - Official Thread

Post  Lorenzzo Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:29 pm

Yes… Our Patriots are the class of the NFL. And what about Belichik...love that guy. The cheese heads are going down...and the Lions. I have faith in my team… when you are a true fan you stand behind your guys even on the road.

The D is really gelling and no name backs are scoring at will. Go Pats!
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:Yes… Our Patriots are the class of the NFL.  And what about Belichik...love that guy.  The cheese heads are going down...and the Lions.  I have faith in my team… when you are a true fan you stand behind your guys even on the road.  

The D is really gelling and no name backs are scoring at will. Go Pats!
    How dare you! I wish I could truly hate the Patriots, but I can't. They are everything I wish my team was. They play up to the competition and play better as the season progresses. They have a clutch QB and are seldom out-coached. Getting crushed by Cleveland at home in a primetime game has removed all doubt that the Bengals are destined for mediocrity.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:02 pm

Tomorrow our pros have the Lions, but today, we're down 3-7 to Yale at the half.

A 9-1 season this way would be an epic fail for my Crimson.

Also, our other local college team (BC) has undefeated FSU in an hour or so, so good luck there.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:47 pm

Harvard 31, Yale 24 to preserve 10-0 Crimson season. Awesome game.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:44 am

Wow...not just beating the Broncos, Colts and Lions in successive weeks but destroying them.  What a great ride this is.

Next up for us....the Fudgepackers in Fudgepackland. I can't even imagine the exhilaration I'll feel beating those four teams in four weeks.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:02 pm

What in the hell happened last night? This Bengals team just keeps roping me back in. After Dalton throws a pick 6 in their second series and AJ Green gets hurt on the same play, I'm already resigned to another humiliating Bengals primetime loss. Then the defense stifles Manning for the rest of the half and lead by 10. Then Denver comes back and takes the lead and I feel like I've seen this movie before. Dalton will press and throw a chokey interception and the game will be over. Turns out, Manning chokes and throws a pick 6. Bengals go on to win by 9, and it really could have been more.
    In pre-game, Manning did say he was approaching the game as a playoff game, so I probably shouldn't have been too worried. He really looked old out there. No arm strength or mobility. Sell the Broncos short in the playoffs again this year.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:20 pm

Horseballs wrote:What in the hell happened last night?  This Bengals team just keeps roping me back in.  After Dalton throws a pick 6 in their second series and AJ Green gets hurt on the same play, I'm already resigned to another humiliating Bengals primetime loss.  Then the defense stifles Manning for the rest of the half and lead by 10.  Then Denver comes back and takes the lead and I feel like I've seen this movie before.  Dalton will press and throw a chokey interception and the game will be over.  Turns out, Manning chokes and throws a pick 6.  Bengals go on to win by 9, and it really could have been more.  
    In pre-game, Manning did say he was approaching the game as a playoff game, so I probably shouldn't have been too worried.  He really looked old out there.  No arm strength or mobility.  Sell the Broncos short in the playoffs again this year.  

Looks like one of us was right about the Bengals making the playoffs. The defense looked great giving Manning a bunch of different looks.

I still wouldn't get too excited, Manning threw four picks because, well, he was approaching it like a big game. Some of them were just awful. The Bengals have a lot of good players but routinely shoot themselves in the foot which you can't afford in the playoffs.   Dalton is not at a playoff success level.

My team is looking great right now.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:53 am

I keep finding myself calling Dalton "Canelo."
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:02 pm

Is it just my TV or does Kaepernick's head look like someone stuck it in a vise and squeezed it when he was an infant?
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:11 pm

Kind of amazing how much better the college bowl games were than the NFL wildcard games. What a bunch of snoozers.

HB, you gotta stop basing your NFL affiliation on locale.  Take a page from my book and distance yourself from the Bengals. Granted, injuries had a big effect this time but man, in the postseason they are simply awful.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:26 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:Kind of amazing how much better the college bowl games were than the NFL wildcard games. What a bunch of snoozers.

HB, you gotta stop basing your NFL affiliation on locale.  Take a page from my book and distance yourself from the Bengals. Granted, injuries had a big effect this time but man, in the postseason they are simply awful.

I'm stuck with the Bengals, can't you see that? Why would anyone choose to be a Bengals fan unless he had to?

Watching Luck play opposite Dalton was hard to do. The Bengals' secondary was playing unbelievably well and they still gave up close to 400 yards passing. Luck throwing darts and touch passes into tight coverage. Then I get the privilege of watching Dalton throw a screen pass 5 feet over a guy's head or try running to pick up a 3rd and 13.

The worst part is that nothing will change for next year. They will still trot out the same coaching staff and QB, and still keep all the young players on the bench.

I don't even know who to want to win anymore. I hate everyone in the AFC. I guess I'm going with your Seahawks.

I was very successful in betting on the college playoff. Both the selection and the first 2 games.

The selection was like stealing, in that it was never a game of chance. Ohio State is big money, Baylor/TCU little money. Never a doubt. I did get a bit lucky on the games. I pretty much hate the SEC and I thought Florida St. was a fraud. Figured I'd lose the OSU/Alabama game but was pleasantly surprised.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:42 pm

One of the benefits of having a team that doesn't make it to the Playoffs is that I get to sit and watch the games without much emotion and I can get into the unique viewing possibilities football offers. Two NFC teams that I don't really care for in any way are the Charlotte Panthers and the Irving Cowboys. Both of their QB's have been playing with broken backs and both made it in and both won their first games last weekend. Now I will be watching intently to see if the Seahawks or the Packers can finish the back break jobs on Newton or Romo.

Seldom have I watched college games in years past but did watch a bit of it this year. I liked watching both the Oregon Ducks and the Florida State Semenholes because I think that their quarterbacks will both be taken in the upcoming NFL draft. Everyone will be trying to figure out how to get the Duck QB. The F.S.U. quarterback could be another story. In the game those two played some days ago, the Ducks won and the F.S.U. QB had some embarrassing moments like when he was back-pedaling and lost the football later in the game after Oregon had it in the bag. After the game, the F.S.U. QB, Jameis Winston, said in an interview "..de game coulda went either way.." Of course the PC print media revised the quote to read "..the game could have gone either way.." Putting the Standard English words in Jameis' Ebonic mouth. Now I am in a quandry about what I should call Winston. "Jameis" sounds like a name he mamma made up to differentiate her baby from all the "James" of the world. Like customizing your ride. Take that same old hunk of Detroit iron and put some twenty inch diameter rims on it and low profile radials and you gots yourself a "Donk". Or, maybe I can call him "Coulda-Went" Winston. As in, "He couldawent all the way." Here's hoping that the Philadelphia Eagles, my team, do not draft or even consider drafting this thugee next spring.

Go Patriots. Go Seahawks. Somebody named Brady gonna get another ring.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:51 pm

Trust me on this...whichever GM drafts Winston will be vilified for it and likely lose his job.  I'd rather have OSU's 3d stringer who looked pretty damn good.  I also made some coin betting against Alabama because I share HB's hatred of the SEC and I also hate Lane Kiffin.  I don't just want to see Kiffin lose I want to make money off it.

The title game is prospectively fascinating. Oregon looks like they could have put up 80 points had they wanted to and their defense actually look pretty good. But then look how many yards Ohio State put up in their last game. Could a college championship game see more than 80 points?

I like that Buckeye fans have brought the spread below 7. At 5 I would go in big not that it will get there. But boy if it does there's nothing like taking money from an emotionally vested zealot fan.

As far as the Bengals are concerned… It's really unfortunate. I'm not sure whether I would rather be a bills fan during their Super Bowl losing streak or  a Bengals fan now...but I know I wouldn't want to be either.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:25 am

Lorenzzo wrote:Trust me on this...whichever GM drafts Winston will be vilified for it and likely lose his job.  I'd rather have OSU's 3d stringer who looked pretty damn good.  I also made some coin betting against Alabama because I share HB's hatred of the SEC and I also hate Lane Kiffin.  I don't just want to see Kiffin lose I want to make money off it.

The title game is prospectively fascinating. Oregon looks like they could have put up 80 points had they wanted to and their defense actually look pretty good. But then look how many yards Ohio State put up in their last game. Could a college championship game see more than 80 points?

I like that Buckeye fans have brought the spread below 7. At 5 I would go in big not that it will get there. But boy if it does there's nothing like taking money from an emotionally vested zealot fan.

As far as the Bengals are concerned… It's really unfortunate. I'm not sure whether I would rather be a bills fan during their Super Bowl losing streak or  a Bengals fan now...but I know I wouldn't want to be either.
    Why don't you just bet the over? I don't know what the gambling lines are yet, but I plan on checking them this weekend. I can see Oregon running their crazy fast-paced offense and OSU trying to slow things down when they have the ball to give their defense some rest. I can't see a scenario where Oregon wins but doesn't cover. They are either going to win in a blowout or lose a close game where the scoring is relatively low. Not traditionally low, but something like 27-21.

With most NFL teams, they are either improving, maintaining excellence, or rebuilding (or just shitty franchises who change everything every year like the Raiders or Browns). The Bengals are doing nothing. They are maintaining something slightly better than mediocrity and holding on for dear life. I believe that Bengals have reached their summit given the QB and coaching, and that is getting crushed in every big game they play. Management seems fine with that because they aren't going 3-13 like they did for the entire decade of the 90's. I think management is terrified that the fan base will desert the team if they have to take a step back for a couple years to get the right system and personnel to actually win.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:27 am

Mongrel wrote:One of the benefits of having a team that doesn't make it to the Playoffs is that I get to sit and watch the games without much emotion and I can get into the unique viewing possibilities football offers. Two NFC teams that I don't really care for in any way are the Charlotte Panthers and the Irving Cowboys. Both of their QB's have been playing with broken backs and both made it in and both won their first games last weekend. Now I will be watching intently to see if the Seahawks or the Packers can finish the back break jobs on Newton or Romo.

Seldom have I watched college games in years past but did watch a bit of it this year. I liked watching both the Oregon Ducks and the Florida State Semenholes because I think that their quarterbacks will both be taken in the upcoming NFL draft. Everyone will be trying to figure out how to get the Duck QB. The F.S.U. quarterback could be another story. In the game those two played some days ago, the Ducks won and the F.S.U. QB had some embarrassing moments like when he was back-pedaling and lost the football later in the game after Oregon had it in the bag. After the game, the F.S.U. QB, Jameis Winston, said in an interview "..de game coulda went either way.." Of course the PC print media revised the quote to read "..the game could have gone either way.." Putting the Standard English words in Jameis' Ebonic mouth. Now I am in a quandry about what I should call Winston. "Jameis" sounds like a name he mamma made up to differentiate her baby from all the "James" of the world. Like customizing your ride. Take that same old hunk of Detroit iron and put some twenty inch diameter rims on it and low profile radials and you gots yourself a "Donk". Or, maybe I can call him "Coulda-Went" Winston. As in, "He couldawent all the way." Here's hoping that the Philadelphia Eagles, my team, do not draft or even consider drafting this thugee next spring.

Go Patriots. Go Seahawks. Somebody named Brady gonna get another ring.
    The Eagles should mortgage their next 3 drafts to get Mariotta (or however you spell his name).
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:42 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:Trust me on this...whichever GM drafts Winston will be vilified for it and likely lose his job.  I'd rather have OSU's 3d stringer who looked pretty damn good.  I also made some coin betting against Alabama because I share HB's hatred of the SEC and I also hate Lane Kiffin.  I don't just want to see Kiffin lose I want to make money off it.

Why don't you just bet the over?  I don't know what the gambling lines are yet, but I plan on checking them this weekend.  I can see Oregon running their crazy fast-paced offense and OSU trying to slow things down when they have the ball to give their defense some rest.  I can't see a scenario where Oregon wins but doesn't cover.  They are either going to win in a blowout or lose a close game where the scoring is relatively low.  Not traditionally low, but something like 27-21.  

With most NFL teams, they are either improving, maintaining excellence, or rebuilding (or just shitty franchises who change everything every year like the Raiders or Browns).  The Bengals are doing nothing.  They are maintaining something slightly better than mediocrity and holding on for dear life.  I believe that Bengals have reached their summit given the QB and coaching, and that is getting crushed in every big game they play.  Management seems fine with that because they aren't going 3-13 like they did for the entire decade of the 90's.  I think management is terrified that the fan base will desert the team if they have to take a step back for a couple years to get the right system and personnel to actually win.  

Yeah… over would seem to be the easy bet. Think I will probably make that bet this evening. On the spread I'm hoping things will improve towards game time as the OSU Pull it lower.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:24 pm

I probably won't watch another football game for the rest of the season. I'm a Minnesota homer and since the Vikes are out and the Gophers lost the citrus bowl I could really give two shits. Had high hopes for the U of M Gopher basketball team but they have been soiling themselves since conference play started.

Well, guess I'll start looking into the baseball season and check out what the Twins are up to. Not expecting much from them this year.
    Homeslice
    Homeslice

Post  Homeslice Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:42 pm

Horseballs wrote:  I guess I'm going with your Seahawks.    
    Come on, man. Support your small market, poorly run, inferiority complex havin' franchise brethren in Carolina. The Seahawks have enough bandwagon fans. With Russel Wilson being an NC State guy, they are coming out of the woodwork here. You will be in your comfort zone when Carolina gets their asses kicked on Saturday.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:16 pm

My Pats play today. When I was in college, they were a new team in a new league playing in Fenway Park. Tickets were seven bucks and always available, so I went to many games. (BTW, BC is playing Notre Dame at Fenway next year. I don't know why.)

I'll be damned if I'm going to pay two hundred bucks (at least) for a nose bleed seat and get stuck in Route One traffic for the privilege. The TV coverage is too good, and I'm too old to freeze with the Gillette faithful. And if Flacco and the Raisins win, which they could, it would be even worse.

But if the Pats lose today, football season is over. I don't watch out of market games, Super Bowl included. Boston is a very provincial town that way, which is why the Olympics will bomb here if they're dumb enough to give Boston the games.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:10 pm

Pats 35, Raisins 31.  That was the least enjoyable playoff win that I've ever seen.  I've got no stomach lining left.

Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:17 pm

That was one of the best performances by a team, QB and head coach I've ever seen. Here in Baltimore, there will be more whine at work than in all of France. The Crows just got plain out-I.Q.'d.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:34 am

Wow, I didn't see that coming at all. I did make a small OSU wager against an emotional OSU-hater/SEC-ballwasher. Just $20 with a OSU getting 7.5. Even Vegas was lower than that.

Too bad for Oregon. That program is going to be labeled as a soft gimmicky system that folds when faced with equal speed. Probably until they can win a title, unfair or not.

By the fourth quarter, I'm pretty sure an average high school running back could have gashed Oregon's defense.

And sorry Homey, I don't need to jump on the bandwagon of Bengals 2.0 (aka Panthers). I've got another football wager for this weekend that I'm feeling pretty good about. Two bets actually.

#1 - I'm getting 2-1 odds that the Pats and Seahawks both win.
    #2 - I bet 4-1 against the Pack and Colts both winning.

$20 on each bet.

I'm unbelievably probably going to lose my UK college basketball bet. Before the season I bet under 36 wins. That team is legit.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:57 am

Them Ducks got plucked. Buckeye 255 pound third string QB looked like Johnny U on steroids in just his third game. And the running back gouges them for 250+ yards? Damn.

Betting on Russell Wilson and Brady are just about bullet-proof bets.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:13 pm

Jeez… Can I get in on those bets?

When the spread went to six I almost bet big. Then I thought about that third string quarterback and how he looked in the prior game. Then I thought about the OSU coach. Then I didn't bet anything.

Things here seem predictable from here in the NFL playoffs. Too predictable.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:34 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:Jeez… Can I get in on those bets?

When the spread went to six I almost bet big. Then I thought about that third string quarterback and how he looked in the prior game. Then I thought about the OSU coach. Then I didn't bet anything.

Things here seem predictable from here in the NFL playoffs. Too predictable.
    I also hedged another $20 that Seattle won't win it all.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 11:58 pm