The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+5
FamousDavis
Lorenzzo
jt1135
Mongrel
Horseballs
9 posters

NFL 2014 - Official Thread

Mongrel
    Mongrel

NFL 2014 - Official Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: NFL 2014 - Official Thread

Post  Mongrel Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:07 pm

The worst part of it is when they emit their girlish spew on the Social Media. Twitter. Twatter. FaceBook. AssBook. Whatever. If I was running a football team, I would employ a version of the military's EMCOM. Emissions Control. As in electronic emissions. During the pre-season, season and post-season, my players would be prohibited from possessing any form of electronic comms including cell phones and all the variants and computers. It would be like prison with restricted rights. The only media interaction with the team would be with the coach. In my locker room, there would be no hash tags. Corned beef hash, OK. Hash pipes, OK.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:07 pm

trombettista_vecchio wrote:I find it difficult to understand the way professional athletes wear their emotions on their respective sleeves.  When I see grown men emoting wildly as they do, I find it disturbing.

It wasn't always thus.  The star athletes of yesteryear maintained a level of decorum that seems to be lost today. I doubt that I'm the only one who misses it.
    Yeah, it's not for me either. Seems like an immature/unintelligent way of reacting. That said, Jeremy Hill of the Bengals did a throw-back Ickey Shuffle this weekend when he scored against the Panthers and I laughed.
    I'm assuming you are talking about the Niners from last night. I thought it looked pretty bad. I certainly wouldn't want my QB acting like Kaepernick on the sidelines.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:53 pm

trombettista_vecchio wrote:I find it difficult to understand the way professional athletes wear their emotions on their respective sleeves.  When I see grown men emoting wildly as they do, I find it disturbing.

It wasn't always thus.  The star athletes of yesteryear maintained a level of decorum that seems to be lost today. I doubt that I'm the only one who misses it.

We were coached to act like we'd been there before.  It's a slippery slope.  Today it's ok to let out your inner douche.  

And coaches generally have to kiss players' asses.  

"I just read it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qaLF9-bvYk
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:01 pm

I remember Steve Jordan, 6 time pro bowl tight end for the Vikings. He'd get tackled, either let the ball sit or flip it to the ref and run back to the huddle. Didn't matter if it was a reception for a first down or touchdown. The man had class!
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:33 pm

One thing that's interesting was how Mohammed Ali was always given a pass for showboating and being obnoxious.

I don't understand the showboating in the end zone thing. I just don't get it. It looks so stupid.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:41 am

Too bad Tyson was born so late. I would have given anything to see Iron Mike knock his fucking head off in the first 20 seconds of Round 1.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:18 pm

This is the time of year where I apologize for talking anyone into being a Bengals fan. Again.

Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:50 pm

Those fudgepackers cost me some money already this year. However, if they can manage to beat the Ravens this coming Sunday, much will be forgiven.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:51 pm

Horseballs wrote:This is the time of year where I apologize for talking anyone into being a Bengals fan.  Again.  

I saw the score and cringed for you, bud. Just remember… Marvin Lewis isn't your fault.

I knew who we were dealing with before I signed on.   And it takes me approximately 7 seconds to get over it.

Now perhaps you see the logic of my bandwagoning.  I mean… just look at my Broncos.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:13 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:This is the time of year where I apologize for talking anyone into being a Bengals fan.  Again.  

I saw the score and cringed for you, bud. Just remember… Marvin Lewis isn't your fault.

I knew who we were dealing with before I signed on.   And it takes me approximately 7 seconds to get over it.

Now perhaps you see the logic of my bandwagoning.  I mean… just look at my Broncos.
    Just make sure you hop off the Bronco-wagon in January.

Also, make sure you never get on the Cowboy-wagon. They will be exposed soon enough. You can't expect a running to rush 30 times a game and not slow down or get hurt. Their defense is low on talent, high on motivation. That can only last so long.

Seattle/SF seem like nothing special. I don't see either of them doing anything, tbh.

San Diego will be a wildcard team. Too hard to win 3 road games in the playoffs.

The Pats will win their home playoff game, then lose their next.

I see Mongrel's team running out of gas late in the year.

Arizona has Carson Palmer for a QB.

Pittsburgh will be below .500

All the other teams are general shit shows with no real hope of making any noise. That leaves us with only 2 teams in the AFC and 1 in the NFC.

AFC- Indy or Baltimore. I also hate the ratbirds and feel karma will get them in the end for harboring abusers and murderers. Indy is your AFC team.

NFC - Packers.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:15 pm

Mongrel wrote:Those fudgepackers cost me some money already this year. However, if they can manage to beat the Ravens this coming Sunday, much will be forgiven.
    I certainly wouldn't be betting on a Bengals victory. Ravens are on a roll, Bengals are lost.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:57 pm

Of course… I'll closely monitor the Broncos and be ready to turn tail on a dime if necessary. Right now I'm all in ...er... if you can define it that way. Their defense may be good enough this year to overcome Manning in a cold pressure game.

I do think the feather rats however have the best chance. But there's no fun in rooting for someone you hate.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:44 pm

I would look closely at the teams with only one loss. The last team to lose its second game in each conference would be my picks. Denver looked pretty strong last night. Eagles looked tough to beat two Sundays ago.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:31 pm

jt1135 wrote:I remember Steve Jordan, 6 time pro bowl tight end for the Vikings.  He'd get tackled, either let the ball sit or flip it to the ref and run back to the huddle.  Didn't matter if it was a reception for a first down or touchdown.  The man had class!

Jordan had a diploma from Brown and was thus not a typical NFL player. The NFL is for the most part an uneasy alliance between crackers and gang bangers.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:24 am

A heart-felt huge congrats to the Redskins for last night's gift to my Eagles. It helped that Wounded Warrior Romo talked his way back in the last minutes of the game only to lay some poo in his bed again. Thanks, Jerry.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:20 pm

Tomorrow we get Manning in Foxborough.

I honestly have no idea what to expect. We've been great and we've been awful this season.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:55 pm

My mother-in-law will call me tomorrow morning around 11:30, as is her habit, and we will make out five weekly NFL bets. I always get the Eagles and she always gets the Ravens. The other three games are bet with haggling and we bet straight up with no points considered. Your game is one that I think I can get her to take the away team. I expect a lot from Belechik and Brady tomorrow. I've been on a losing streak lately with her and last Sunday morning I had my wife make the bets. She picked the Redskins over the Cowgirls on Sunday night and I just shrugged. I'm sure my mother-in=law loved that pick. Ha.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:58 pm

OK, we looked good against Denver, albeit at home, and now we've got a week off. I don't usually watch out-of-market games, so perhaps I'll catch up on some reading this weekend. If it's not too cold, I may even scrape it through the fallen leaves for four or five holes. I can't keep my nine week old Welsh Terrier tethered onto the cart any longer than that. She may start complaining sooner and the noise will be most unwelcome to others.

(As it is, we have to put up with constant gunfire from the skeet and trap shooting nearby. There's also a rifle range. Only the pistol range is indoors. I guess they do that all winter. If I didn't suck at shooting--I've got an old Browning Medalist-- I would have considered joining. It's not that my people never shot, but I'm afraid they did it from very close range.)

I don't know what to think about this edition of the Patriots. A road win against a team with a pulse would make me feel a lot better about them. Still, 7-2 isn't bad after a 2-2 start including a horrific thrashing from Kansas City of all teams. A healthy Gronk (knock on wood) makes them a different team, but it takes more than a beast of a tight end to go deep into the post season tournament..
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:45 am

The Patriots will get into the upcoming Super Bowl unless Brady gets injured.

I assume that your Browning Medalist is a 9mm. The Browning Hi Power is favored by some in the intelligence community.

Your people are best with the Sicilian Broom.

Browning also made golf clubs.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:10 pm

Mongrel wrote:The Patriots will get into the upcoming Super Bowl unless Brady gets injured.

I assume that your Browning Medalist is a 9mm. The Browning Hi Power is favored by some in the intelligence community.

Your people are best with the Sicilian Broom.

Browning also made golf clubs.

The Browning Medalist is a rim fire target pistol with full wooden stock rather than grips. It was made in Belgium and has been out of production
    for decades. My center fire handgun is a Ruger Super Blackhawk single action revolver that also hasn't been fired for at least twenty years.

The Browning 440 was a very popular game improvement iron in the late 1970s. It had the most shallow face of any iron I've ever seen. There were also matching woods with very small heads almost foreshadowing today's hybrids.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:43 pm

When I was a member of an ultra-snooty private club in the mid-late '80's, there was a member who seldom played in the regular money events but would show up once in a blue moon at 8 a.m. on a Sunday to get into our regular skins game. He was a big guy and played a set of those 440's. My regulars and I all played forged blades and the derogatory comments about those ugly irons abounded. However, the guy usually took most of the holes. Good thing he didn't come often. Another guy had those Spaulding Executives that looked similar. He was always just under a ten handicap.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:34 pm

Mongrel wrote:When I was a member of an ultra-snooty private club in the mid-late '80's, there was a member who seldom played in the regular money events but would show up once in a blue moon at 8 a.m. on a Sunday to get into our regular skins game. He was a big guy and played a set of those 440's. My regulars and I all played forged blades and the derogatory comments about those ugly irons abounded. However, the guy usually took most of the holes. Good thing he didn't come often. Another guy had those Spaulding Executives that looked similar. He was always just under a ten handicap.

I still have a set of those Executive irons, 2-9, PW, SW down in my basement. I got rid of a lot of stuff, but had a sentimental attachment to those.

And I was always a little under a ten until I became older than dirt and started playing just for the company and fresh air.

Those Executives, by the way, worked beautifully with original Top Flites, aka Rock Flites, and, despite their extreme sole weighting, had lofts two clubs weaker than what's standard today.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:30 pm

Beating the Colts at Lucas was a good road win.

Next, it's the Lions at home and the Pack up at Lambeau. We've got two wins over the Norris Division already--Bears and Vikings--so we could end up
    with a better record there than in the AFC. We've already lost to the Dolphins in the division and the Chiefs in the conference.

I really would like to take it all one more time. Four Super Bowl wins plus two other appearances would look great on Tom Terrific's resumé. I hate that a scab like Joe Montana is considered the best by anybody.

Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:00 pm

Good luck playing the fudge Packers up at their place. Brady is the best QB I can recall watching since I started watching the NFL on TV. I forget exactly what year that was but I remember that the TV was on its own legs and weighed a hundred pounds and the screen must have been nine or ten inches wide measuring it from a bottom corner to its opposite upper corner. In black and white, too. Maybe it was in the early 1950's. Anyway, Montana was successful with the 49ers but was traded and played his last two years with the Chiefs. I think that Brady has too much class to play for any other team and has the common sense and balls to hang it up and retire before that decision is forced on him.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:31 pm

Mongrel wrote: I think that Brady has too much class to play for any other team and has the common sense and balls to hang it up and retire before that decision is forced on him.

I hope that you're right, Mongrel. I remember seeing Unitas as a Charger and Namath as a Ram. Not pretty.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:19 am