The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+25
Dixon Cox
mtz4life
Mongrel
Big Dave
The Ghost of FD
Hubijerk
BBQpig
SoonerBS
Player
msal13
californiataxes
FreakOfNature
Dirtsquirrel
Fluffy
Poe4soul
jmtbkr
12pierogi
Horseballs
Kiwigolfer
jetdriver
Lord Helmet
Golfaholic
JonT
Olderplayer
Lorenzzo
29 posters

Club Ho'ing

Fluffy
    Fluffy

Club Ho'ing  - Page 17 Empty Re: Club Ho'ing

Post  Fluffy Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:14 am

FamousDavis wrote:Had a little extra time before heading to the airport so I stopped at Edwin Watts in Houston. I picked up a used set of Cobra S3 irons with Nippon 1030H Stiff shafts, 4-PW & GW and also a Titleist Scotty Cameron with headcover for $79. They gave me a box and I checked it in at the airport. If you haven't tried the Cobra S3 I would highly suggest it. Not too much offset and the feel is great. I also checked out the local golfsmith and their prices on used clubs were even worse than in CA. They had a very used set of Titleist 990 irons for $349 and a set of Ping i10 irons for $599. LOL.

Wouldve bought a set of S3 anytime. They are very nice clubs. hits the furthes on the simulators. The feel is just a little bit dead and making my assumtions I assumed it wouldnt spin to nicely in the lower irons....Let us know what the ball does on the green with the 6/7 iron?
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:28 am

Fluffy wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:Had a little extra time before heading to the airport so I stopped at Edwin Watts in Houston. I picked up a used set of Cobra S3 irons with Nippon 1030H Stiff shafts, 4-PW & GW and also a Titleist Scotty Cameron with headcover for $79. They gave me a box and I checked it in at the airport. If you haven't tried the Cobra S3 I would highly suggest it. Not too much offset and the feel is great. I also checked out the local golfsmith and their prices on used clubs were even worse than in CA. They had a very used set of Titleist 990 irons for $349 and a set of Ping i10 irons for $599. LOL.

Wouldve bought a set of S3 anytime. They are very nice clubs. hits the furthes on the simulators. The feel is just a little bit dead and making my assumtions I assumed it wouldnt spin to nicely in the lower irons....Let us know what the ball does on the green with the 6/7 iron?

I must admonish myself for creating an error in my previous posting. In my absent mindedness, I allowed myself the mistake of not including the price of the S3 irons, which were $139 plus the Cameron putter for $79. I have hit the S3 iron one time before and it was one of the best iron rounds of my life. Problem is, I let my ego get in the way and thought that bagging black and yellow irons was simply too uncool. Well, to heckles with that.

I disagree on the "dead" feel comment. I love the way they feel. Most important for me is the fact that they 1030H Nippon shafts are a bit heavier and make the club feel very stable, unlike other GI irons that are too light for my quick transition.

Also, I saw the new line of Odyssey "Pro" putters that retail from $129 to $179. Basically the same models they had 10 years ago but with different paint. Stupid.

I'm looking at the Yes 12 Sandwich putter. Well, actually it's called the Yes Sandy 12 putter but close enough. It's a keeper. cheers
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:54 am

3Balls has or had one of those Yes 12's for $99. When I read you got a set of S3's, I assumed that they were the forged clubs. Guess not for $139.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:42 pm

It's not a club, maybe a ball Ho section is needed.
    I got the only ones on eBay 14 delivered. Supposed to be a prov1 beater, and 10 bucks or more cheaper. Urethane cover 4 piece ball.
    Some people already are claiming there better then the new prov, and reminds them of the older one.
    I have a mix of the U/4 and the U/4x
    Club Ho'ing  - Page 17 F2B5C5FF-DCA5-4D9B-A578-D4140323B1F3-464-0000008807C67B97_zps477daa15
    Club Ho'ing  - Page 17 36E5A752-B502-4A7A-BFCC-EF5C6AA4FCD3-464-00000086FF853F25_zps8d06fbc3
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:49 pm

I believe that Old Trombones (F.K.A. NN) is familiar with and partial to those balls.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:53 pm

Don't these latest mp-60 I picked up look sweet?
    Some of them look unhit original grip on 3.

Club Ho'ing  - Page 17 8E080F10-7253-44FC-94F1-31FC09E6B35F-113-0000000800846907_zps2e70919a
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:58 pm

Mostly German wrote:I believe that Old Trombones (F.K.A. NN) is familiar with and partial to those balls.

Maybe but these just came out, he's probably still dusting the shelves were he's at. I'm not sure they were out even last season.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:20 pm

Mr. Hoagie,

Those are indeed nice irons. I've only tried the MP-60 with Dynamic Gold R300 and they were one of the best feeling irons I've ever hit. I wish I had tried the S300 because the regular shaft shot the ball up too high and I lost distance. I like the look and playability of the MP-32 over the MP-60. Despite what Kiwi Player says, the MP-32 is absolutely a blade and meant for the better player. He plays the MP-58 so what does he know anyway. That's a shovel with some kind of funky titanium or graphite insert.

I'm playing the Cobra S3 irons again. I picked up a set for $139 with near new Golf Pride Multi-compound orange/black grips. Not sure why the previous owner chose that color combo. Seems pretty stupid actually, given the heads are black and gold.

Maybe the dude likes Holloween. king
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:40 pm

Gold flames on orange street rods is really sick looking if they are done well. When I bought my pull-out Matrix XCon 6 stiff shaft for my 909 DComp coupla weeks ago, I needed a grip for it but since I'd almost broken my budget at $15.00 for the shaft, I saw a pile of Golf Pride DD2 grips on sale for $2.00 each so I got one. Yellow and black. Now that red shaft with the yellow and black is about the sickest driver look I've seen in a long time.
    JonT
    JonT

Post  JonT Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:43 pm

12pierogi wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:I believe that Old Trombones (F.K.A. NN) is familiar with and partial to those balls.

Maybe but these just came out, he's probably still dusting the shelves were he's at. I'm not sure they were out even last season.

They were out last year. I bought a dozen of the u4 and got a half dozen u4x thrown in free on a trial offer. I liked the u4x better but neither were close to a ProV1/1X, imo. They may fit you better with a higher swing speed, but felt dead, hard, and lost at least 10 yards for me (the U4's, the U4X were a bit more lively).
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:54 pm

JonT wrote:
    12pierogi wrote:

They were out last year. I bought a dozen of the u4 and got a half dozen u4x thrown in free on a trial offer. I liked the u4x better but neither were close to a ProV1/1X, imo. They may fit you better with a higher swing speed, but felt dead, hard, and lost at least 10 yards for me (the U4's, the U4X were a bit more lively).

I probably won't hit them till I have a couple rounds under my belt, before playing them. I'm playing dt solo for starters. I usually loose a few yards with the pro v1 versus the dt solo or nxt tour. If it spins nice around the greens it's staying in the bag. Maxfli just sounds cool!
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:05 am

FamousDavis wrote:
    Fluffy wrote:

I must admonish myself for creating an error in my previous posting. In my absent mindedness, I allowed myself the mistake of not including the price of the S3 irons, which were $139 plus the Cameron putter for $79. I have hit the S3 iron one time before and it was one of the best iron rounds of my life. Problem is, I let my ego get in the way and thought that bagging black and yellow irons was simply too uncool. Well, to heckles with that.

I disagree on the "dead" feel comment. I love the way they feel. Most important for me is the fact that they 1030H Nippon shafts are a bit heavier and make the club feel very stable, unlike other GI irons that are too light for my quick transition.

Also, I saw the new line of Odyssey "Pro" putters that retail from $129 to $179. Basically the same models they had 10 years ago but with different paint. Stupid.

I'm looking at the Yes 12 Sandwich putter. Well, actually it's called the Yes Sandy 12 putter but close enough. It's a keeper. cheers

Let me say rather they feel like the Titleist 712CB?
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:24 am

While waiting for the snow to disappear have been down in the basement doing some swinging with the snake eyes. They are fitted with original PX shafts with the satin finish and painted on label. I'm really liking the looks of these great looking shafts but will have to see how they work at the golf course.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:23 pm

Calling all GFF ho's: I stopped into the local Golf Galaxy awhile ago heading back from hitting balls. They have a set of Mizuno MP 62's that are in nice condition with Dynamic Gold R300 shafts. I hadn't hit these in the store because I thought they had the S300's like every other bloody set there. So I hit about 20 balls with the 7 iron and swiped a piece of impact tape. Hit them mostly center face and the club felt very smooth. Then I noticed a Mizuno Shaft Optimizer club sitting in a display bag so I futzed with it and managed to get readings. Hit that club about 7 times and averaged about 85 mph with the DNA numbers at
    4-5-5-7. I have no idea what that means and didn't want to get into the computer-relationship with the salesmen who were otherwise engaged anyway with yuppies trying to dial in their soon-to-be-purchased Nike drivers. They want $211 for the MP 62's, 4 through PW. Seems like a reasonable price to me. Anyone play them?
    Lord Helmet
    Lord Helmet

Post  Lord Helmet Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:31 pm

Numbers, left to right, equate to:
    Tempo (4): How quickly the player transitions from the backswing to the downswing.
    Shaft Toe Down (5): A measure of the bowing of the shaft in a downward direction during the downswing.
    Shaft Kick Angle (5): The amount of shaft forward bending during the downswing motion.
    Release Factor (7): How and when the clubhead and shaft are releasing during the downswing motion.

4 numbers are on a 1-9 scale, and higher numbers mean that each feature is more accentuated. In other words, for tempo, 1 would be a very slow tempo and 9 would be a very fast tempo. In terms of release, low numbers mean a later release (aka holding the angle longer, think Sergio Garcia) and higher numbers mean a quicker release (not holding the angle as long, think Zach Johnson).

I just googled it and that is what I found....hope it helps. Im a lefty so I havent hit the 62s...sorry.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:25 am

Mostly German wrote:Calling all GFF ho's: I stopped into the local Golf Galaxy awhile ago heading back from hitting balls. They have a set of Mizuno MP 62's that are in nice condition with Dynamic Gold R300 shafts. I hadn't hit these in the store because I thought they had the S300's like every other bloody set there. So I hit about 20 balls with the 7 iron and swiped a piece of impact tape. Hit them mostly center face and the club felt very smooth. Then I noticed a Mizuno Shaft Optimizer club sitting in a display bag so I futzed with it and managed to get readings. Hit that club about 7 times and averaged about 85 mph with the DNA numbers at
    4-5-5-7. I have no idea what that means and didn't want to get into the computer-relationship with the salesmen who were otherwise engaged anyway with yuppies trying to dial in their soon-to-be-purchased Nike drivers. They want $211 for the MP 62's, 4 through PW. Seems like a reasonable price to me. Anyone play them?

That's an excellent price for Mizuno MP-62 irons. Too bad it doesn't include the 3 iron. If the irons have a lot of bag chatter and rusting on the faces then I'd say the price is right.

Today I played the Callaway X-16 pro series with Rifle FCM 6.0 shafts. Great irons! Distance is great and they feel pretty decent. I'm beginning to prefer the Rifle shafts over Dynamic Gold. They seem to fit my swing better and provide a more penetrating ball flight. My play has been pretty sloppy lately. I've been having a couple of three putts, wayward drives and hitting irons into bunkers.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:39 am

I had the most awesome shot ever this weekend that I wish I couldve showed you guys. I had a ball behind a tree/bush,treestump was about 2 inches thick,ball touching the treestump,but on the flag's side. So I stood 180degrees facing away from the flag,trying to hit the ball into the treestump making it bounce back towards the pin...

No I couldnt declare it unplayable.and I couldnt get it out on the fairway with a lefty swing as there was ground bedding around the ball. I was actually more pissed off because The small 2meter bush with a 2inch thick treestump directly off the fairway had a black thick plastic hose wrapped around it which means a free drop. Since this was competition the bitches,yes women, I played against didnt want to give me a free drop, altough I was 4 shots over my handicap already. So I decided to pull out my man card stick it to my shirt and swing a full shot 180degrees away from the pin into this bush breaking my 56degree cleveland cg16's shaft into 2 pieces. Picture a 100mph flat swing against a hardy treestump with a 56degree.

E=mc2 gives new meaning.The clubhead bounced further back towards the pin then the ball!!!!

Everyone else felt bad except me and my further who was walking along.

Now Ive hit a +-12 year old mizuno mp33 5iron with its +-12year old s300 shaft into a tree playing a 170/180meter 50m left to right slice around a tree. The shaft was about 30degree's bent at the hosel with my swingspeed....Expecting more from my Cleveland wedge's non-aftermarket shaft was wrong. The shaft has no power...

So today I am considering getting my 3 wedge set of 52/56/60 in the mizuno mp T4 series new....

Will let you guys know my outcome.The upcoming winter is my decider as I want to practise my shortgame more and not mess up a new wedge for that.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:36 am

FamousDavis wrote:Today I played the Callaway X-16 pro series with Rifle FCM 6.0 shafts. Great irons! Distance is great and they feel pretty decent. I'm beginning to prefer the Rifle shafts over Dynamic Gold. They seem to fit my swing better and provide a more penetrating ball flight. My play has been pretty sloppy lately. I've been having a couple of three putts, wayward drives and hitting irons into bunkers.

Few yrs ago when I still played X-16 I ran into a guy who played X-16 pro and he hit beautiful draw shots with those irons. I am sure he had steel shafts but I don't know the brand... I sold X-16 and bought Callay BB 2002 irons which I believe I like them better... Now I hit Cobra S2, like them, will play them more this season
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:04 am

Mostly German wrote:Calling all GFF ho's: I stopped into the local Golf Galaxy awhile ago heading back from hitting balls. They have a set of Mizuno MP 62's that are in nice condition with Dynamic Gold R300 shafts. I hadn't hit these in the store because I thought they had the S300's like every other bloody set there. So I hit about 20 balls with the 7 iron and swiped a piece of impact tape. Hit them mostly center face and the club felt very smooth. Then I noticed a Mizuno Shaft Optimizer club sitting in a display bag so I futzed with it and managed to get readings. Hit that club about 7 times and averaged about 85 mph with the DNA numbers at

I picked up a set a year or more ago, several rounds, and a couple hundred balls in the backyard later I do indeed like them. They don't mind being hit a little thin, they don't mind being hit a little towards the toe or heel, high on the head is no bueno. Ouch.
    There advertised as being a dual muscle cavity. They came after the tremendous success of the mp-32 and 60. Mp-33 lovers were a little high and dry. They were touted as having the feel of the 33 with some forgiveness. I understand there was several prototypes, and mizuno would tape the cavity, so the you wouldn't know what club you were hitting. Players were claiming the ones that felt the best looked like a blade, and felt like the mp-33. Guess which one that was. The dual muscle cavity they call the mp-62 now. They claim when hit flush it was like ringing a bell, that you could feel, and hear. They gave them a great sole design, a nice radius on the leading edge, and trailing edge, a lot of camber from heel to toe, the sole was straight from Luke Donald's club design.
    If you can get past the pw being quite a bit larger than the rest of the set, you got 8 pieces of heaven.

I still find the mp-60 a tiny bit easier to hit, must be the silly looking channel in the cavity, the mp-62 kind of remind me of the mp-30 with less offset, maybe a little more of a box toe. There another great Mizuno, geared toward the blade player, searching for a little more forgiveness.
    Club Ho'ing  - Page 17 1A110EDE-1735-4459-9E00-054700B56D40-1767-000003A13E5D6108_zps3f919fe4
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:21 am

Thanks for your opinion. If I were to buy the set of MP 30's, I'd have to reshaft them since I can't hit the DG S300 at all. On the other hand, the 62's felt good with the R300's. Dilemma.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:40 am

Mostly German wrote:Thanks for your opinion. If I were to buy the set of MP 30's, I'd have to reshaft them since I can't hit the DG S300 at all. On the other hand, the 62's felt good with the R300's. Dilemma.

If you ever hit or play an mp-60 with a r300 or rifle 5.5 you'll be in heaven. The only thing negative about the 60 is the cavity is busy looking, and turns off some people. I don't care, as at address there great, and you don't see it.
    Op favors the 5.0 shafts. I think FD is gravitating towards the 5.5 same as me. I want to try a set of something with 6.0 this summer.
    I would say your many years of golf has left you with plenty of ability to hit the 62 it's a great feeling iron. That's quite a good price, though there all over the place, depending on condition, and the shafts in them.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:56 am

I've hit 60's on several occasions over the years and they all have had DG S300 shafts and all felt harsh as bricks. I forget what clubhead it was but a month or so ago I hit a 7 iron that had a KBS Tour 90 in stiff and that felt wonderful.
    Lord Helmet
    Lord Helmet

Post  Lord Helmet Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:16 am

Thats because TT sucks and it should be used as rebar instead of golf. KBS and Nippon provide much better feel for hitting a golf ball.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:40 am

Lord Helmet wrote:Thats because TT sucks and it should be used as rebar instead of golf. KBS and Nippon provide much better feel for hitting a golf ball.

The jump from r300 to s300 is pretty large, not to mention there a tad heavy.
    The couple sets I've had and have with rifle feel so much livelier or like you can jump on them if needed. I definitely like KBS and project x to a point I can deal with, though they changed from the earlier satin finish, and lost something.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:51 am

And then there's the Dynalite XP or Black or something similar that felt really nice in some iron I hit around the same time I hit the KBS Tour 90. The XP was in a Mizuno MP head I think and was an S300. Not much different feeling from the KBS. And a good bit cheaper.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:34 pm