The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+25
Dixon Cox
mtz4life
Mongrel
Big Dave
The Ghost of FD
Hubijerk
BBQpig
SoonerBS
Player
msal13
californiataxes
FreakOfNature
Dirtsquirrel
Fluffy
Poe4soul
jmtbkr
12pierogi
Horseballs
Kiwigolfer
jetdriver
Lord Helmet
Golfaholic
JonT
Olderplayer
Lorenzzo
29 posters

Club Ho'ing

Pky6471
    Pky6471

Club Ho'ing  - Page 16 Empty Re: Club Ho'ing

Post  Pky6471 Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:16 am

FamousDavis wrote:I had three drivers in the bag today-the Ping Anser w/ Diamana Ahina S, Titleist 909 D3 with Voodoo S and the Bridgestone J40 with Project X 5.5. The J40 was hit once and that was enough-a high fade that went nowhere, an indication for me that the shaft is too whippy. The Ping Anser didn't feel quite right but on one of them I hit a monster driver. The 909 D3 is good but really no better than the 983e and less controllable. It doesn't feel as good either and feels like I never quite hit the sweet spot. The 983e is going back in the bag.

Damn it FD... stay with your 983e until you don't enjoy it then switch... U see what has happened to Rory, why Fukkkkk around
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:01 pm

Pky6471 wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:I had three drivers in the bag today-the Ping Anser w/ Diamana Ahina S, Titleist 909 D3 with Voodoo S and the Bridgestone J40 with Project X 5.5. The J40 was hit once and that was enough-a high fade that went nowhere, an indication for me that the shaft is too whippy. The Ping Anser didn't feel quite right but on one of them I hit a monster driver. The 909 D3 is good but really no better than the 983e and less controllable. It doesn't feel as good either and feels like I never quite hit the sweet spot. The 983e is going back in the bag.

Damn it FD... stay with your 983e until you don't enjoy it then switch... U see what has happened to Rory, why Fukkkkk around

No kidding. I need to keep the same clubs in the bag and start playing real golf again. All this ho'ing has caused me to shift my concentration from playing to making each round a demo day. I'm pretty sure I'm going to put the Ping Eye 2s back in the bag for awhile. I seem to his my 7 iron the same distance no matter what iron I hit so I might as well play the one that looks, feels and performs the best for me. I found a really good condition set of black dots with zz lite for $109 at Play it Again Sports. I sold the bridgestone driver.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:09 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    Pky6471 wrote:

No kidding. I need to keep the same clubs in the bag and start playing real golf again. All this ho'ing has caused me to shift my concentration from playing to making each round a demo day. I'm pretty sure I'm going to put the Ping Eye 2s back in the bag for awhile. I seem to his my 7 iron the same distance no matter what iron I hit so I might as well play the one that looks, feels and performs the best for me. I found a really good condition set of black dots with zz lite for $109 at Play it Again Sports. I sold the bridgestone driver.

If those pings are the best looking clubs I might recommend a trip to the eye doctor.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:27 pm

jt1135 wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    Pky6471 wrote:

If those pings are the best looking clubs I might recommend a trip to the eye doctor.

Yesterday I had one of my worst rounds in quite a while. My putting was horrible, drive was abominable and the irons were horrendous. But, my chipping was pretty good. you know why? cause I ain't no fool and I chip with a 7 iron.

After the round, went to golfmart and saw a set of Taylormade R7 TP irons with Project X 5.5 shafts. Went into the hittin cage and Whoa! Darn if these sticks don't look good, feel good and hit darn good. You know what? I think the Project x shafts fit my swing better than Dynamic Gold. It used to be that I didn't like Project X shafts because of the feel. Now, I've come to like it.

They were priced at 3-PW for $169 in pretty good shape. I like the way they look and feel. Distance was a little above average.

Get up on the TP.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:11 pm

My mp-60 came in 140 delivered, come on how could I pass them up. The seller had crummy pictures, that's why they went for so little.
    These are the shizzle, such a nice iron set.
    Club Ho'ing  - Page 16 62EE4414-6606-47FC-8F96-DD61D27AF53A-165-0000000943836BE8_zps54355aef
    Club Ho'ing  - Page 16 1B279200-D4C9-428B-BFFE-1F3582343FF9-165-000000097DAF6C7D_zpsf339cbdb
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:19 pm

12pierogi wrote:My mp-60 came in 140 delivered, come on how could I pass them up. The seller had crummy pictures, that's why they went for so little.
    These are the shizzle, such a nice iron set.
    Club Ho'ing  - Page 16 62EE4414-6606-47FC-8F96-DD61D27AF53A-165-0000000943836BE8_zps54355aef
    Club Ho'ing  - Page 16 1B279200-D4C9-428B-BFFE-1F3582343FF9-165-000000097DAF6C7D_zpsf339cbdb

Well done!
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:40 pm

Those look nice. I'm on a slow steady search for a set of cheap older MP's. I've hit those 60's before and they felt like total hard shit except they all had DG S300's. So maybe I've narrowed it down to MP 30, 32 or the 60's. Anyone hit the MP 30's? I know some of you are big fans of the 32's.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Mostly German wrote:Those look nice. I'm on a slow steady search for a set of cheap older MP's. I've hit those 60's before and they felt like total hard shit except they all had DG S300's. So maybe I've narrowed it down to MP 30, 32 or the 60's. Anyone hit the MP 30's? I know some of you are big fans of the 32's.

I have a mixed set of MP30's 3-5 and MP33's 6-PW so I've only hit the 3-5 irons but I liked them a lot. They were my first foray into GFF and basically converted me. They came with DG S400. The MP30's look great, small, compact clubhead, thin topline and it's a seamless transition from the MP30 5 iron to the MP33 6 iron. I've since upgraded to the more modern MP58's but I would happily bag a full set of MP30's. I've read some reviews complaining they were harsh or had a small sweet spot but that wasn't my experience. To me they were soft and sweet to hit. Very similar design to the MP62 IMO.

P.S. I also have a set of MP32's. Very nice clubs too but IMO the MP30 looks nicer. Smaller more compact clubhead and softer feel too. The MP32's are nice but size wise they are almost moving towards a better players shovel whereas the MP30 profile is more a true players cavity back. For me the feed back from the MP32's feels somewhat muted compared to the MP30/33's.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:34 pm

That's a valued opinion and I thank you. The local Golfsmith store had two sets of the MP 30's last weekend. Both well-used with one set having a bit shinier chrome on the heads. Both have DG S300's which I would have to replace with something softer and lighter. I think they were both priced around $159 which would be OK if the shafts suited me but a tad steep for a set of heads. I might have to hit them off the mats to see. When I looked at them closely last Sunday, they bore a real resemblance to the MX 20's that I have except the heads were a bit smaller, not as offset, and with a more narrow sole. I think my swing has evolved to the point where the wider soles and offset are not helping me.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:15 am

The mp-30 Kiwi played is a great set by itself. The mp-32 is another great set, but I owning a set of mp-32 noticed the sweet spot is fairly small, the mp-60 has 10% larger sweetspot, which I find much easier to nail more consisitently. Some of my best shots I ever hit were with the 60 and px shafts. I want to try the dynamic gold r300 in these latest 60s I have.
    Believe me there's nothing harsh about the mp-60 there pure butter when struck well. Very much a almost midsize, almost blade, but with a slight cavity, and a cut muscle like the 32.
    I think FD played them a short while, raved about the feel, but he hit them to high with his sh!tty swing, and the r300 shafts. I don't seem to hit them all that high, as the mass isn't ridiculously low like some supposed players heads, and have a much more penetrating ball flight. Above the 6 iron a mx club might be a better choice for some, but I would every now and again hit a bucket of balls with nothing but a 4 iron, so I had very little trouble hitting it with a little practice.
    This wouldn't be my third set if they weren't a great club.
    Get on golf wrx and see the mancrush these guys have on the mp-60 some claim its the best mp mizuno ever.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:20 am

On Monday I found out that the new Titleist offerings here in south africa are selling the 913D3 with ANY Aftermarket shaft for R4200,,Thats Roughly $500.00.

The Guy assured me that I could get Any 913D3 with any aftermarket shaft including Diamana Whiteboard 83g, proforce V2 96g,RIP Alpha 83g X aftermarket shafts at no additional pay in....

Does this make sense to anyone?

I am busy selling my unwanted/unused lay around clubs to get the money and get one of these if this is the case.

A 7.5 Titleist 913D3 with a Proforce v2 96gram seems to be the lowest launching/spinning match one can get according to titleist's offerings and diagrams...

11MB File Download PDF: http://media.titleist.com/images/titleist/pdfs/US/2013/sales/2013_Custom_Options_Book.pdf
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:01 am

12pierogi wrote:The mp-30 Kiwi played is a great set by itself. The mp-32 is another great set, but I owning a set of mp-32 noticed the sweet spot is fairly small, the mp-60 has 10% larger sweetspot, which I find much easier to nail more consisitently. Some of my best shots I ever hit were with the 60 and px shafts. I want to try the dynamic gold r300 in these latest 60s I have.
    Believe me there's nothing harsh about the mp-60 there pure butter when struck well. Very much a almost midsize, almost blade, but with a slight cavity, and a cut muscle like the 32.
    I think FD played them a short while, raved about the feel, but he hit them to high with his sh!tty swing, and the r300 shafts. I don't seem to hit them all that high, as the mass isn't ridiculously low like some supposed players heads, and have a much more penetrating ball flight. Above the 6 iron a mx club might be a better choice for some, but I would every now and again hit a bucket of balls with nothing but a 4 iron, so I had very little trouble hitting it with a little practice.
    Get on golf wrx and see the mancrush these guys have on the mp-60 some claim its the best mp mizuno ever.

How do U know it's has 10% larger sweetspot? how do U measure it? Razz
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:12 am

Pky6471 wrote:
    12pierogi wrote:The mp-30 Kiwi played is a great set by itself. The mp-32 is another great set, but I owning a set of mp-32 noticed the sweet spot is fairly small, the mp-60 has 10% larger sweetspot, which I find much easier to nail more consisitently. Some of my best shots I ever hit were with the 60 and px shafts. I want to try the dynamic gold r300 in these latest 60s I have.

When I see guys fighting over which Mizuno club is best I think of them as retards....

Each Mizuno club is perfect for the individual and his talent for hitting the ball pure....

Considering all the Mizuno Clubs the Mp69's are currently the best for me. If youre a 10-12 handicapper with a slower swing speed the JPX series would fit you good. If you are a 8-12 with a fast swing speed the mp59/64 would be the best....Thats how it works.... With any set...

I cant hit the Mizuno Mp64's to save my life,they feel sh!t compared to my Mp69's. The mp59's are even worse...I cant believe a Pro Golfer would play a set of mp59's, they feel dead and dull.

Looking at the Mp32's they are more suited for a draw baised club looking at the design, I played with a guys once who used MP32 and myself Mp33's. He couldnt come near my drives but was hitting his irons 20meters further then mine....Although he couldnt hit a fade to save his life, and averything was draw here draw there.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:18 am

Pky6471 wrote:

Well ky I'm in the inner circle and know trivial things like that.
    Plus mizuno has always advertised the 60 as being a 3% larger head resulting in a 10% larger sweetspot, than the mp-32.
    Aren't you in Michigan freezing your nuts off?
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:31 am

Fluffy wrote:
    Pky6471 wrote:

When I see guys fighting over which Mizuno club is best I think of them as retards....

Each Mizuno club is perfect for the individual and his talent for hitting the ball pure....

Considering all the Mizuno Clubs the Mp69's are currently the best for me. If youre a 10-12 handicapper with a slower swing speed the JPX series would fit you good. If you are a 8-12 with a fast swing speed the mp59/64 would be the best....Thats how it works.... With any set...

I cant hit the Mizuno Mp64's to save my life,they feel sh!t compared to my Mp69's. The mp59's are even worse...I cant believe a Pro Golfer would play a set of mp59's, they feel dead and dull.

Looking at the Mp32's they are more suited for a draw baised club looking at the design, I played with a guys once who used MP32 and myself Mp33's. He couldnt come near my drives but was hitting his irons 20meters further then mine....Although he couldnt hit a fade to save his life, and averything was draw here draw there.

The 62,63, and mp-64 are geared toward the low handicap player or aspiring pro. There what Luke Donald plays, and many other pros that want a little forgiveness over a muscle back blade. Your wrong Fluffer. Not many pros play 68 or 69 name one. Your an anomaly with a rather high swing speed, that many of us can't relate to. I'd love to see a video of your swing.

I'm easily a full club length shorter than the average pro, though I have played with club pros I can hit it longer. You would be among the longest hitters I've played with. I've only played with a handful of people that can hit it past 300 yards consistently, or use a 8 iron on a 180 yard approach, and I'm sure not many clubs work with your swing, and actually it boils down to a serious shaft to work with your swing. Have you ever tried a px 7.0 fluffy? Isn't that Phil's shaft or used to be. Maybe even hard stepped.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:55 am

12pierogi wrote:
    Fluffy wrote:
    Pky6471 wrote:

The 62,63, and mp-64 are geared toward the low handicap player or aspiring pro. There what Luke Donald plays, and many other pros that want a little forgiveness over a muscle back blade. Your wrong Fluffer. Not many pros play 68 or 69 name one. Your an anomaly with a rather high swing speed, that many of us can't relate to. I'd love to see a video of your swing.

I'm easily a full club length shorter than the average pro, though I have played with club pros I can hit it longer. You would be among the longest hitters I've played with. I've only played with a handful of people that can hit it past 300 yards consistently, or use a 8 iron on a 180 yard approach, and I'm sure not many clubs work with your swing, and actually it boils down to a serious shaft to work with your swing. Have you ever tried a px 7.0 fluffy? Isn't that Phil's shaft or used to be. Maybe even hard stepped.

I have a video or two but dont have a youtube channel setup...maybe for your entertainment one day....
    Only bad thing is. It takes two frames from the top of my swing to past impact with my driver.lol

The PX shafts are higher launching shafts, sweepers play them regularly because they generate less spin then us diggers.I needed a lower launching shaft so got the X100 130grams. They where noticably lower and straighter over the s300's and on easier swings you can feel the ball tends to drift right because of the stiffness.

High swings speeds are nice,but "back-flags" and I arent good friends because of the spin I get. I get backspin on 3irons.....bet again its nice because I dont have to compensate for roll. only for carry distance. Got the x100's in my PW as well and getting less spin from it because of the stiffness. So my ball is almost always with a radius of 2meters from where it lands.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:22 am

Fluffy wrote:
    12pierogi wrote:
    Fluffy wrote:
    Pky6471 wrote:

I have a video or two but dont have a youtube channel setup...maybe for your entertainment one day....
    Only bad thing is. It takes two frames from the top of my swing to past impact with my driver.lol

The PX shafts are higher launching shafts, sweepers play them regularly because they generate less spin then us diggers.I needed a lower launching shaft so got the X100 130grams. They where noticably lower and straighter over the s300's and on easier swings you can feel the ball tends to drift right because of the stiffness.

High swings speeds are nice,but "back-flags" and I arent good friends because of the spin I get. I get backspin on 3irons.....bet again its nice because I dont have to compensate for roll. only for carry distance. Got the x100's in my PW as well and getting less spin from it because of the stiffness. So my ball is almost always with a radius of 2meters from where it lands.

They may get the ball up a little quicker, but they don't balloon like the TT shafts sometimes do, especially in the long irons. For sh!ts and giggles if you ever see a club with that shaft, swing it, they favor high ss, and shot dispersion is the best I've seen. I kind of wonder if the original satin ones were a little better shaft, I've had several sets with px and still have a favorite wedge or two with em.
    By the way I rip a trench when I hit a green with my long irons, your not the only one that can back up a 4 or 5 iron, in my day I had a 114 mph ss albeit sometimes out of control, that's with a iron. I'm more of a 90-100 now with surgeon like precision.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:56 am

12pierogi wrote:
    Fluffy wrote:
    12pierogi wrote:
    Fluffy wrote:
    Pky6471 wrote:

They may get the ball up a little quicker, but they don't balloon like the TT shafts sometimes do, especially in the long irons. For sh!ts and giggles if you ever see a club with that shaft, swing it, they favor high ss, and shot dispersion is the best I've seen. I kind of wonder if the original satin ones were a little better shaft, I've had several sets with px and still have a favorite wedge or two with em.
    By the way I rip a trench when I hit a green with my long irons, your not the only one that can back up a 4 or 5 iron, in my day I had a 114 mph ss albeit sometimes out of control, that's with a iron. I'm more of a 90-100 now with surgeon like precision.

If hit the nike VrII's with the PX7.0 and the S400....The S400 was give or take 10meters lower trajectory. I can understand the height getting more distance but I already hit to high....When I was 14/15 years old I could hit further then now....I was hitting a 54 Degree 150meters.....Thats a 9iron at the moment for me...In the last few months my SW has gone from 120meters down to around 105meters...

I'll take you on backing up a driver on a green???? How does that challenge sound?lol.

The biggest wish i could make is that I new more about shaft stiffness back when I was 14.Then as a second the mental game.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:32 am

Pky6471 wrote:

The exact sweetspot of any club is about the size of a pin head. If you have the time, patience and nerves, balance the club head without shaft on a sharp point like a ballpoint pen affixed vertically in a vise. All that real estate close to that point is close, but no cigar.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:46 am

Mostly German wrote:
    Pky6471 wrote:

The exact sweetspot of any club is about the size of a pin head. If you have the time, patience and nerves, balance the club head without shaft on a sharp point like a ballpoint pen affixed vertically in a vise. All that real estate close to that point is close, but no cigar.

U mean to say: " Is there such a thing as an sweet spot on a golf club?"
    JonT
    JonT

Post  JonT Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:10 pm

MG, I played MP30's for about 4 years; I only sold them to go on ho'ing expeditions; I should have kept them as I haven't found anything I liked better, so far. I think the feel of the 30's was outstanding, but of course that is subjective; in comparison I didn't like the 60's to me they just felt blah. The only drawback would be the shafts; if you like Dynalite, you probably won't like the DG S300's.

In other news, I like the Maltby MCC heads I acquired but not the DGSL R300 shafts that came in them. Who ever built them CPM 'd the shafts so soft, they need a slow transition to make them work; not my style with irons. I've got some 105 gram graphite shafts I've been wanting to try, so there going in.

I think I found the right combination for me in driver, 909 D2 9.5 with Voodoo regular; I have been really pleased with my driving using this combination while in Florida; only one round, but I've been down the sprinkler line with a draw 250 to to 260 (good for me) with a effortless swing . This is my fourth 909 D2; I really like these heads; they set up square to slightly open, have a muted solid sound, and nice feel.

The Cobra SS Forged are sitting in Michigan waiting for spring, and it's looking like a late one:(...

If you remember the thread that I started at GR about my gimpy short leg. I went to a full lift in my right shoe a month back, and although it has been like relearning a golf swing, it is making a huge impact on all aspects of my game...to the good:)

Later gents....
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:22 pm

Fluffy wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:
    Pky6471 wrote:

U mean to say: " Is there such a thing as an sweet spot on a golf club?"
    Most definitely is on every club. Now finiding it and hitting it regularly are two different things.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Club Ho'ing  - Page 16 Empty Wherever you go you can club ho'

Post  FamousDavis Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:59 pm

Had a little extra time before heading to the airport so I stopped at Edwin Watts in Houston. I picked up a used set of Cobra S3 irons with Nippon 1030H Stiff shafts, 4-PW & GW and also a Titleist Scotty Cameron with headcover for $79. They gave me a box and I checked it in at the airport. If you haven't tried the Cobra S3 I would highly suggest it. Not too much offset and the feel is great. I also checked out the local golfsmith and their prices on used clubs were even worse than in CA. They had a very used set of Titleist 990 irons for $349 and a set of Ping i10 irons for $599. LOL.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:31 pm

There are two sets of Tit 990's at my local Golfsmith-- one is just 990 and the other is 990B. I can't tell what the difference is. They are both priced at under $90 and have been there for some weeks.
    JonT
    JonT

Post  JonT Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:19 pm

FamousDavis wrote:Had a little extra time before heading to the airport so I stopped at Edwin Watts in Houston. I picked up a used set of Cobra S3 irons with Nippon 1030H Stiff shafts, 4-PW & GW and also a Titleist Scotty Cameron with headcover for $79. They gave me a box and I checked it in at the airport. If you haven't tried the Cobra S3 I would highly suggest it. Not too much offset and the feel is great. I also checked out the local golfsmith and their prices on used clubs were even worse than in CA. They had a very used set of Titleist 990 irons for $349 and a set of Ping i10 irons for $599. LOL.

While in Orlando, I stopped in at a Edwin Watts; they didn't have much used, but everything they did was severely overpriced (ex., a set of beat MX 20's for $299). For the prospective buyer, this would seem to enhance the value of buying new, which this store had a lot of.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:06 pm