The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+25
Dixon Cox
mtz4life
Mongrel
Big Dave
The Ghost of FD
Hubijerk
BBQpig
SoonerBS
Player
msal13
californiataxes
FreakOfNature
Dirtsquirrel
Fluffy
Poe4soul
jmtbkr
12pierogi
Horseballs
Kiwigolfer
jetdriver
Lord Helmet
Golfaholic
JonT
Olderplayer
Lorenzzo
29 posters

Club Ho'ing

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Club Ho'ing  Empty Club Ho'ing

Post  FamousDavis Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:58 pm

Rather than having a separate folder for club ho'ing, I thought it would be a better idea to stick this thread under Golf Discussion. That way we can continually add to it without creating new threads.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Club Ho'ing  Empty Re: Club Ho'ing

Post  Lorenzzo Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:06 am

FamousDavis wrote:Rather than having a separate folder for club ho'ing, I thought it would be a better idea to stick this thread under Golf Discussion. That way we can continually add to it without creating new threads.

Agree completely. We don't want this shit filling up thread after thread.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:30 pm

To continue the gap thread from our old fallen down shack, I picked up a TEE 5 hybrid. When I have to I will just drop the 4 wood and have the 3H as my longest club (other than driver). It will be driver, 3H,4H,5H, 5I,6I,7I,8I,9I,PW,GW,SW,LW and putter. 14 for all you tradionalists. Now got my eye on a Bridgestone J38 driver if the price stays low.
    Olderplayer
    Olderplayer

Post  Olderplayer Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:48 pm

Got to hit my new miura blades today. My latest hoing effort. For a short review have a look in the review section.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:51 pm

Got the Bridgestone but will be a long time to swing it. In the middle of a snow storm which is supposed to switch to a blizzard this afternoon. Not going to be any golf in Minnesota till next spring.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:37 pm

jt1135 wrote:Got the Bridgestone but will be a long time to swing it. In the middle of a snow storm which is supposed to switch to a blizzard this afternoon. Not going to be any golf in Minnesota till next spring.

Winter sucks for golf. Our last house was a piece of shot-gun shack frame crap but it did have a detached block two car garage that was extra deep and had twelve feet clearance to the joists supporting the rafters. My father in law gave me a large aluminum-frame net for Christmas so I set it up in there and hung an old canvas tarp just behind the netting so that when the ball struck the net, it would hit the tarp a nano-second later. When hitting drivers into it, I could tell when the contact was dead-solid-perfect because the sound was like a .30 cal round firing.
    JonT
    JonT

Post  JonT Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:36 pm

Been busy with acquiring equipment to test, some are repeats that I liked before but with different shafts; so far, as I mentioned in the welcoming thread, I have found Ping S59 with zz65 shafts to be really promising; just take dead aim and shoot; despite being a stiffer flex with weaker lofted heads I am hitting them one club longer than my current distances with the shorter irons and 1/2 longer to equal with the longer irons.

Also, built a Ping Rapture V1 with a Penley ETA 55 shaft; retrying the Cleveland Classic 290 at a lower loft (9*) and regular C.Kua43 to see if the lower loft and softer shaft would improve on a promising first experience with a 10.5, stiff.

Got a new non conforming CG15 54 wedge to replace a Jaws MD 56.

Picked up on dozens of taylormade TP5 (11.99), burner TP double dozen (11.49) and Callaway Diablo Tour (6.49) balls when a one-stop-shopping superstore did a clearance.

All testing has been abruptly stopped, however, due to snow and ice. We do have access to a course simulator here to play 9 and 18 hole rounds on popular courses; $25/ hour so won't be using that much. If it is a winter like last, I will be getting outside maybe once a month.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:01 pm

I need to quit doing this. I played in the tournament of club champions yesterday and had one of my best driving days ever. At the same time, however, I had one of my worst iron games. For my practice round I used the Mizuno MP-32 irons and hit them just OK. I was thinking to myself "you know, for a tournament like this you need a little more forgiveness and the Ping i3+ blades with Z-Z65 should be perfect".

So, without ever having played them before, I put the Ping i3+ blades in the bag for a tournament...a big tournament. One that is very difficult to get into and means a lot. So I was crushing my Titleist 983e 8.5 driver past everyone in the group and hitting it straight down the middle in a big tournament with pressure. Then, I would get up to my ball where I had anywhere from 120 to 150 yards to the green and I'd miss the green just about every time. Thanks to great pitching and putting I still came in 11th place out of 80 or so guys.

Looking back, I can't believe I did that. I should have just stuck with the Callaway X-20s that I was hitting great.

I've decided that game improvement irons with little offset are the ones with which I play the best. I'm either going to get a set of the Cleveland CG7 or the Callaway X-20 Tour.

One thing that's promising is that, even though I feel pressure in these tournaments, I don't feel it nearly as much as a lot of people. Some of the scores posted by 5 handicappers were probably the worst rounds they had posted in years. The course was extremely difficult and I'm fairly proud of the way I didn't choke with the driver.

One of the guys in my group was a 4.6 index and he had an 11, a 9 and an 8 on 3 of the holes.
    Golfaholic

Post  Golfaholic Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:03 pm

I was tired of hitting huge hooks with the replacement FT-5 Callaway sent me, so I picked up a Ping i20. I hit it really well, and the looks are second to none.

Also picked up an Adams a7 22º 4 hybrid. I hit my 3 hybrid pretty well, so I figured I would eventually pick up a 4. This one was on sale for a steal, so I grabbed it.

I also needed to replace my 4 year old TM Rac TP 60º and I ended up picking up two Nike VR series wedges, also for a good price. I really like the grind on the 60º and am very happy with it around the green. I only hit the 56º a few times but so far it's not looking good for it. My old Rac TP 56º is still in pretty good shape so I could easily throw it back in the bag.

I'm on the look for a new 3 wood to replace my original Nike SQ, but it's not a serious operation. If something comes up on the Golf Town daily deal, I might bite.

Just have to get some new grips for the wedges and I'll be best kind for the new season.
    Olderplayer
    Olderplayer

Post  Olderplayer Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:12 pm

Had my first round with a G20 with 169D shaft. It seems pretty long with low spin rates. Perhaps a touch erratic but it shows promise. Got the second round with it today.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:16 pm

Checking out a set of Bridgestone GC Mid. I know they aren't the prettiest thing out there but more interested in the ns pro shafts as I've never hit em. Supposedly very good shape for a hondo. The lofts would match up perfectly with my eidolon wedges. How much difference is there between dynalite golds and ns pro 1050's.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:23 pm

jt1135 wrote:Checking out a set of Bridgestone GC Mid. I know they aren't the prettiest thing out there but more interested in the ns pro shafts as I've never hit em. Supposedly very good shape for a hondo. The lofts would match up perfectly with my eidolon wedges. How much difference is there between dynalite golds and ns pro 1050's.

I was really interested in those irons awhile ago but ended up getting a set of 2008 Cobra FP's, Similar cast cavity backs that also had Nippons as the stock steel shafts. I ended up with the Aldila Proto By You regular flex graphites instead of the steel. Wife snagged them off Ebay as a Christmas gift for me so I haven't taken them out to hit them yet. Well, not more than one or two at a time since she hasn't wrapped them yet. What's interesting to me is the gap wedge in the set. It seems to give me a shot I didn't have before, the gentle half swing 75 yard pitch that doesn't go too high and lands with some spin.
    Lord Helmet
    Lord Helmet

Post  Lord Helmet Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:30 am

Olderplayer wrote:Had my first round with a G20 with 169D shaft. It seems pretty long with low spin rates. Perhaps a touch erratic but it shows promise. Got the second round with it today.

I got to play a few rounds w/ my g20 and 169d shaft before it got too cold. Really like the club.
    Olderplayer
    Olderplayer

Post  Olderplayer Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:23 pm

Lord Helmet wrote:
    Olderplayer wrote:Had my first round with a G20 with 169D shaft. It seems pretty long with low spin rates. Perhaps a touch erratic but it shows promise. Got the second round with it today.

I got to play a few rounds w/ my g20 and 169d shaft before it got too cold. Really like the club.
    Was no good the second round. could not hit it with any consistency. Hit one of my longest drives of the year on the second hole but hit some real stinkers towards the end of the round. This one is moving on.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:33 pm

Olderplayer wrote:
    Lord Helmet wrote:

Was no good the second round. could not hit it with any consistency. Hit one of my longest drives of the year on the second hole but hit some real stinkers towards the end of the round. This one is moving on.

I hear you. OP, you should really give the 983E a try. I am bombing this thing. It's especially beneficial on desert style courses because of the roll out. I really wish I had given this thing a try with the Aldila NV-65 shaft 10 years ago. The one I tried had a Speeder in it and it felt like a board. This one, though, is way longer than any driver I've tried. Plus, the feel is better than anything I've tried.

I'm convinced that the smaller head leads to a more efficient swing, less drag and more solid hits. I hit a 295 yard drive with it at the tournament on Monday.
    Olderplayer
    Olderplayer

Post  Olderplayer Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:37 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    Olderplayer wrote:
    Lord Helmet wrote:

I hear you. OP, you should really give the 983E a try. I am bombing this thing. It's especially beneficial on desert style courses because of the roll out. I really wish I had given this thing a try with the Aldila NV-65 shaft 10 years ago. The one I tried had a Speeder in it and it felt like a board. This one, though, is way longer than any driver I've tried. Plus, the feel is better than anything I've tried.

I'm convinced that the smaller head leads to a more efficient swing, less drag and more solid hits. I hit a 295 yard drive with it at the tournament on Monday.
    I've got an E, 9.5 with a speeder stiff in it. Very good stick. Just trying to find something that does mot punish miss hits so severely.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:56 pm

Olderplayer wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    Olderplayer wrote:
    Lord Helmet wrote:

I've got an E, 9.5 with a speeder stiff in it. Very good stick. Just trying to find something that does mot punish miss hits so severely.

Try not to laugh too much, but a 909 DComp head is more foregiving than the Pope. You could pull a bore-through Speeder from a Tit head and tip it two inches and it should play about the same. An 8.5* might launch similar to the 9.5* E.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:10 pm

[/quote]
    Try not to laugh too much, but a 909 DComp head is more foregiving than the Pope. You could pull a bore-through Speeder from a Tit head and tip it two inches and it should play about the same. An 8.5* might launch similar to the 9.5* E.[/quote]

MG... I will try this club when the price is right, sounds very interesting, but again, correct shaft with the head is everything (IMO)
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:20 pm

Pky6471 wrote:
    Try not to laugh too much, but a 909 DComp head is more foregiving than the Pope. You could pull a bore-through Speeder from a Tit head and tip it two inches and it should play about the same. An 8.5* might launch similar to the 9.5* E.[/quote]

MG... I will try this club when the price is right, sounds very interesting, but again, correct shaft with the head is everything (IMO)[/quote]

You can buy them from Ebay in the $40-$75 range. That's pretty cheap. On lunch break I went up to a golf supplies shop and the clubmaker in the back has hundreds of graphite shafts pulled from customer's heads. I bought an Aldila VooDoo regular flex 65 gram shaft in great shape for $15 and it is going into my 909 DComp head in the next day or two.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:25 pm

Mostly German wrote:
    I bought an Aldila VooDoo regular flex 65 gram shaft in great shape for $15 and it is going into my 909 DComp head in the next day or two. [/quote]

Great price for that shaft. Let us know how it turns out bounce
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:35 pm

Pky6471 wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:
    I bought an Aldila VooDoo regular flex 65 gram shaft in great shape for $15 and it is going into my 909 DComp head in the next day or two.

Great price for that shaft. Let us know how it turns out bounce [/quote]

The epoxy just dried a couple of minutes ago. I cut off the butt so it will play at 45" exactly and swing weight at D-1 if I put a 50 gram grip on it. It looks real good. It is the regular flex Voo Doo that is dark blue instead of red or green. FLO occurred with the logo facing the target which is cool. I will take it out and hit it Saturday morning if the weather turns out as predicted. Mongrel out.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:53 am

Mostly German wrote:

The epoxy just dried a couple of minutes ago. I cut off the butt so it will play at 45" exactly and swing weight at D-1 if I put a 50 gram grip on it. It looks real good. It is the regular flex Voo Doo that is dark blue instead of red or green. FLO occurred with the logo facing the target which is cool. I will take it out and hit it Saturday morning if the weather turns out as predicted. Mongrel out.

NO DOUBT you are the pro at fukkkking around with golf clubs. I don't have that skill ... yet
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:48 pm

After countless beers and many puffs of the good stuff decided the hell with different irons. Really like the Srixons anyway. The only thing I'm going to do is get a different pitching wedge. Its a 46 in the irons so gonna get the same in a wedge. Got it narrowed down to a Cleveland CG16 with the traction shaft, not one of my favorite shafts. The new Cleveland 588RTX with a DG wedge flex shaft and a Vokey SM with a DG wedge flex. Currently have the CG14 52 in my bag and I do like it. Never hit a vokey so unsure about it. Any thoughts or feedback?
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:29 pm

jt1135 wrote:After countless beers and many puffs of the good stuff decided the hell with different irons. Really like the Srixons anyway. The only thing I'm going to do is get a different pitching wedge. Its a 46 in the irons so gonna get the same in a wedge. Got it narrowed down to a Cleveland CG16 with the traction shaft, not one of my favorite shafts. The new Cleveland 588RTX with a DG wedge flex shaft and a Vokey SM with a DG wedge flex. Currently have the CG14 52 in my bag and I do like it. Never hit a vokey so unsure about it. Any thoughts or feedback?

Last year I bought used Vokey 52 and 56 degrees. The older models, not the Spin Milled types. I still have the 52* and played it the entire past season as my gap wedge. I ended up not bonding with the 56" and traded it in on another wedge awhile ago. Both had the True Temper wedge flex shafts which are probably S200's. Those are too much for me so I put a Dynalite Gold s300 in the 52*. I have hit wedges with the specialty spinner shafts and never liked them. The spin increased but the trajectory I get with them is way too low when I need to really loft one high. That Vokey will be leaving my bag since I got a new set of used Cobra chopper sticks that includes a gap wedge at 49.5* with graphite shaft. That club goes about 5 yards less than my Vokey 52 on a full swing so goodbye Vokey. I saved some shots with the Vokey on pitches and chips this past summer but a couple of times really chunked or thinned it on full approaches that resulted in unpleasant numbers on those holes. I got a couple of used Mizuno wedges to round out the bottom slot in the bag. A 54* MP Series with factory graphite shaft that seems to go about 15 yards less than the new gap wedge and feels real smooth and repeatable on half siwng 50 yarders which is a shot that has been absent from my repertoire for a long time. Then I got an MP-R 60* with the TT wedge flex shaft that I pulled and replaced with another Dynalite Gold. The sole grind on that one is tricky but I can cut the legs off a ball sitting on concrete if I strike it just off the heel. I like the Vokeys OK but I would go looking for some used ones just in case they don't do it for you. Their faces brown out pretty quickly and the grooves wear down a bit but that's nothing a Brillo pad and a carbide steel pointed tool won't fix.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:40 pm

Mostly German wrote:
    jt1135 wrote:After countless beers and many puffs of the good stuff decided the hell with different irons. Really like the Srixons anyway. The only thing I'm going to do is get a different pitching wedge. Its a 46 in the irons so gonna get the same in a wedge. Got it narrowed down to a Cleveland CG16 with the traction shaft, not one of my favorite shafts. The new Cleveland 588RTX with a DG wedge flex shaft and a Vokey SM with a DG wedge flex. Currently have the CG14 52 in my bag and I do like it. Never hit a vokey so unsure about it. Any thoughts or feedback?

Last year I bought used Vokey 52 and 56 degrees. The older models, not the Spin Milled types. I still have the 52* and played it the entire past season as my gap wedge. I ended up not bonding with the 56" and traded it in on another wedge awhile ago. Both had the True Temper wedge flex shafts which are probably S200's. Those are too much for me so I put a Dynalite Gold s300 in the 52*. I have hit wedges with the specialty spinner shafts and never liked them. The spin increased but the trajectory I get with them is way too low when I need to really loft one high. That Vokey will be leaving my bag since I got a new set of used Cobra chopper sticks that includes a gap wedge at 49.5* with graphite shaft. That club goes about 5 yards less than my Vokey 52 on a full swing so goodbye Vokey. I saved some shots with the Vokey on pitches and chips this past summer but a couple of times really chunked or thinned it on full approaches that resulted in unpleasant numbers on those holes. I got a couple of used Mizuno wedges to round out the bottom slot in the bag. A 54* MP Series with factory graphite shaft that seems to go about 15 yards less than the new gap wedge and feels real smooth and repeatable on half siwng 50 yarders which is a shot that has been absent from my repertoire for a long time. Then I got an MP-R 60* with the TT wedge flex shaft that I pulled and replaced with another Dynalite Gold. The sole grind on that one is tricky but I can cut the legs off a ball sitting on concrete if I strike it just off the heel. I like the Vokeys OK but I would go looking for some used ones just in case they don't do it for you. Their faces brown out pretty quickly and the grooves wear down a bit but that's nothing a Brillo pad and a carbide steel pointed tool won't fix.

Thanks MG. Kind of leaning toward that new cleveland wedge. I like my mizuno mp-t11's but they don't have the loft I want. They list for about 120 so cheaper than the iron sets I was thinking about. I got the spinner shafts in all my wedges and they work well for me.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 1:31 am