The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+25
Dixon Cox
mtz4life
Mongrel
Big Dave
The Ghost of FD
Hubijerk
BBQpig
SoonerBS
Player
msal13
californiataxes
FreakOfNature
Dirtsquirrel
Fluffy
Poe4soul
jmtbkr
12pierogi
Horseballs
Kiwigolfer
jetdriver
Lord Helmet
Golfaholic
JonT
Olderplayer
Lorenzzo
29 posters

Club Ho'ing

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Club Ho'ing  - Page 3 Empty Re: Club Ho'ing

Post  FamousDavis Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:56 pm

Horseballs wrote:I've got an appointment to pick out a new club in an hour. I figure I've only got a few weeks left to get this done, or else I'm waiting till spring. I've learned the hard way not to get fitted in the dead of winter when my swing sucks.

Good luck on your fitting.

My latest club ho'ing consists of two sets of irons. Let me digress for a minute. I sold the Titleist AP2 irons the other day. I really had no choice as the profit margin was too good.

1) Taylormade Burner 2.0 HG (high-gloss) irons with Rifle Flighted 5.5 shafts, 3-PW, basically brand new. Maybe one round on them. Paid $209 for them plus tax. I bought them because of the way they look and the fact that they have an aftermarket shaft that fits me perfectly and brings down the flight of the ball. Haven't tried them on the course yet but I did try them in the simulator.

In order to compare, I also hit a Cleveland CG7 and Callaway X-20 7 iron alongside my new ones in the simulator. There are three things that make the Burner 2.0 stand out: 1) It's an GI iron that looks great at address. Minimal offset and fairly traditional look. 2) The feel is outstanding with this shaft, 3) Distance is incredible. My 7 iron traveled anywhere from 165 to 172 yards. 10 yards longer than anything else.

2) Cleveland CG Red 3-PW, Dynamic Gold S300, in great condition from 3balls for $145. This was one of those times when I was using my iPhone to browse Ebay and made a frivolous bid. Turned out I won. Probably a mistake but who knows. They certainly look great at address. Hardly any offset, nice compact head and I actually like the look of the cavity with the red gel insert. I've always liked red. I've seen mixed reviews online. Some love them, some hate them and some ain't sure.

Well, that's it for today. Happy Festivous.

Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:14 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:I've got an appointment to pick out a new club in an hour. I figure I've only got a few weeks left to get this done, or else I'm waiting till spring. I've learned the hard way not to get fitted in the dead of winter when my swing sucks.

My latest club ho'ing consists of two sets of irons. Let me digress for a minute. I sold the Titleist AP2 irons the other day. I really had no choice as the profit margin was too good.

1) Taylormade Burner 2.0 HG (high-gloss) irons with Rifle Flighted 5.5 shafts, 3-PW, basically brand new. Maybe one round on them. Paid $209 for them plus tax. I bought them because of the way they look and the fact that they have an aftermarket shaft that fits me perfectly and brings down the flight of the ball. Haven't tried them on the course yet but I did try them in the simulator.

In order to compare, I also hit a Cleveland CG7 and Callaway X-20 7 iron alongside my new ones in the simulator. There are three things that make the Burner 2.0 stand out: 1) It's an GI iron that looks great at address. Minimal offset and fairly traditional look. 2) The feel is outstanding with this shaft, 3) Distance is incredible. My 7 iron traveled anywhere from 165 to 172 yards. 10 yards longer than anything else.

2) Cleveland CG Red 3-PW, Dynamic Gold S300, in great condition from 3balls for $145. This was one of those times when I was using my iPhone to browse Ebay and made a frivolous bid. Turned out I won. Probably a mistake but who knows. They certainly look great at address. Hardly any offset, nice compact head and I actually like the look of the cavity with the red gel insert. I've always liked red. I've seen mixed reviews online. Some love them, some hate them and some ain't sure.

Hey, stick with dose Clevelands and, like they say in that TV commercial, you be gellin'. Now get yoself some of those inserts for your Footjoys and den you be double-gellin'. And if one of your errant shots finds new unexplored territory on the course, they be callin' you Magellin.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:28 pm

Just got a Ping Anser 20 degree with a Oban Devotion 84 gram aftermarket shaft. The shop was slow so I got to hit all kinds of heads and shafts. They also built it for me on the spot, so now I've got a kick ass club that I won't be hitting for a few months.
    I also hit a Ping i20, some Adams thing, and a Titleist. My criteria were neutral face, not too big, and a cambered sole. The Anser looked really nice and I just seemed to flush it almost every time. I hated the Adams. The i20, though billed as being slightly open, seemed to sit closed and I was hitting pulls. The Titleist was too big.
    The Oban was a great deal. It was a miss order from the manufacturer. The sales guy was pretty good. We knew a lot of the same people and he knows I bought several clubs from them in the past.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:52 am

FamousDavis wrote:

This is unlike me. Yesterday I took the Taylormade Burner 2.0 irons with Rifle 5.5 Flighted shafts and as soon as I started hitting the 7 iron I looked down and noticed the hosels were browned by the torch or hot air gun used to remove the prior shafts. I can't believe I missed that. The prior owner must have reshafted them and did a poor job of removing the shafts by burning the hosels. I had originally thought they had been factory ordered that way.

Regardless, I'd be returning them anyways. Very strange feel to these irons. The sound and feel is almost like a fairway wood with a little "ting" sound. After hitting the Mizuno MP-32 irons they felt pretty odd. Also, distance is all over the place. I was hitting the 7 iron anywhere from 150 to 170. Sometimes I'd hit it flush and it would go incredible distances. No thanks.

The CG Reds were OK but didn't feel as good as the MP-32 and mishits didn't seem to be any better. I'm going to give them a try on the course before making my decision. To be honest, they feel a bit hard, kind of like the original Cleveland TA3 irons. Could be the Dynamic Gold S300 shafts, which I'm starting to think may be a tad too stiff for me these days, although they seem fine with the Mizuno MP-32s. I think my optimal shaft is Dynamic Gold R400.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:12 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:

This is unlike me. Yesterday I took the Taylormade Burner 2.0 irons with Rifle 5.5 Flighted shafts and as soon as I started hitting the 7 iron I looked down and noticed the hosels were browned by the torch or hot air gun used to remove the prior shafts. I can't believe I missed that. The prior owner must have reshafted them and did a poor job of removing the shafts by burning the hosels. I had originally thought they had been factory ordered that way.

Regardless, I'd be returning them anyways. Very strange feel to these irons. The sound and feel is almost like a fairway wood with a little "ting" sound. After hitting the Mizuno MP-32 irons they felt pretty odd. Also, distance is all over the place. I was hitting the 7 iron anywhere from 150 to 170. Sometimes I'd hit it flush and it would go incredible distances. No thanks.

The CG Reds were OK but didn't feel as good as the MP-32 and mishits didn't seem to be any better. I'm going to give them a try on the course before making my decision. To be honest, they feel a bit hard, kind of like the original Cleveland TA3 irons. Could be the Dynamic Gold S300 shafts, which I'm starting to think may be a tad too stiff for me these days, although they seem fine with the Mizuno MP-32s. I think my optimal shaft is Dynamic Gold R400.

Although I'm probably finished as a steel shafted iron player, I will admit that I hit them every once in awhile in a store that has used sets and hitting stations. No way I can hit DG S300's well anymore and that's all I used to play in my blades. The newer True Temper Dynalite Gold XP shaft that came out initially as a Mizuno-only offering is a great feeling smooth mid-weight steel shaft. I hit some MX-300's and MP something or others with that shaft in both regular and stiff flexes and think it might suit you. Felt like it had a bit more kick than the regular Dynalite Golds.
    Olderplayer
    Olderplayer

Post  Olderplayer Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:11 pm

I won't use S300's any more either. Rifle 5.5, all the nippons are fine and I still like R300 but the stiff dynamic golds just feel too harsh now and I guess I can't load them properly.
    You should check out my current listing for a set of Golden Ram Tom Watson blades 2-sw FD. With originally installed R400 shafts.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:22 pm

Olderplayer wrote:I won't use S300's any more either. Rifle 5.5, all the nippons are fine and I still like R300 but the stiff dynamic golds just feel too harsh now and I guess I can't load them properly.
    You should check out my current listing for a set of Golden Ram Tom Watson blades 2-sw FD. With originally installed R400 shafts.

Yeah, I think the s300 is a bit much for me. Today I tried a few more clubs on both the range and simulator:

Taylormade 300 irons with Precision Rifle 6.0: Hey, these are pretty darn nice. Great feeling club. A bit short though.

Cleveland CG7 with stock Reg shafts. Man these feel great and distance is superb. I worry if the Reg shaft won't work on the course.

Taylormade Burner Plus irons with stock Regular shafts. These also felt great but I don't like the fact that the clubs are half inch longer than normal. that's just stupid.

Nike VR-S Pro with Dynalite Gold XP Stiff. These felt amazing. $249 for 4-PW, GW & SW in 9/10 condition. I might go back and get these, they felt that good. Like Mongrel said before, I think the Dynalite shafts really improve the feel of any club. These felt like a soft forging.

They also had a set of Mizuno MP-32 irons with Project X 5.5 shafts. In this case I think I like the DGS300 better.
    Golfaholic

Post  Golfaholic Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:54 pm

I'm currently the high bidder on a brand new R11 TP 3 wood W/ Headcover + Wrench on Ebay. It's all so exciting and new for me. Auction ends today. We'll see what happens. Shipping is fucking stupid expensive...
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:44 pm

Ho'd another hybrid yesterday. An almost pristine Nickent 4DX Ironwood 17* with UST stiff shaft. Talked them down to $24.95 due to the dirt on the clubface and sole. Beats me why some of these shops don't wash down their used clubs before they put them out on the floor. I need a club I can hit reliably off the tee when less than driver is indicated and I haven't been able to hit any of my fairway woods worht a shit for a long time.
    Golfaholic

Post  Golfaholic Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:15 pm

Well, I bought my first club on Ebay. R11 TP 15º 3 Wood, Brand new in plastic with headcover and Wrench for $102.50.

Too bad there is 4 feet of snow on the ground.

Last edited by Golfaholic on Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typographical error.)
    Olderplayer
    Olderplayer

Post  Olderplayer Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:57 pm

Just to report I have gotten hold of a set of Mizuno TN 87 irons 2-sw. These are pretty rare and have the reputation of being the best feeling Mizuno blade ever made because of the copper underlay to the chrome. They were made to commemorate Tommy Nakajima's 1987 season and are very similar to the mp 29's which are said to be the retail version. These have that almost legendary status among collectors and I have been after a set for quite a while.
    Can't wait to hit them and see if they measure up to the myth.
    Olderplayer
    Olderplayer

Post  Olderplayer Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:09 pm

Forgot to mention I hoed a set of Snake eyes mc-01 blades and got them last week. They are absolute butter knives with the thinnest sole I have ever seen! PW is at 49 so pretty oldschool. Two range sessions and 18 holes later I cannot believe how well I am flushing them. I am truely shocked at how well they feel and perform. Paid all of $60 for them.
    Looks like I am back to being a blade player complete with 3 iron in the bag.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:39 pm

Olderplayer wrote: Paid all of $60 for them.

Sh$$t, for 60 bucks I would try them myself Evil or Very Mad
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:53 pm

Nice going OP! I love traditional irons from the 70's and 80's. There's a set of Wilson Staffs for $79 that are like new at one of the golf stores I frequent. Just beautiful. Interesting, the only writing on the club is "Wilson" on the sole and then "Staff" on the back of the blade. It doesn't say "FG-17", nor does is say "tour blade". Just "Staff". Also, they have Dynamic Gold shafts and I don't believe those existed back in the 70's or early 80's.

Speaking of Wilson (not the volley ball character in that awful Tom Hanks film), I just picked up a set of Wilson Pi7 irons, 3-PW, Dynamic Gold S300 with Wilson grips for $69 in very good condition. On a whim I grabbed the 7 iron and hit it in the simulator. Wow, it kind of feels like a more forgiving and longer Titleist 990. What's interesting is that these irons have virtually no offset at all. I love it.

I was going to try them out this morning but we had a two hour frost delay.
    Olderplayer
    Olderplayer

Post  Olderplayer Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:30 pm

FamousDavis wrote:Nice going OP! I love traditional irons from the 70's and 80's. There's a set of Wilson Staffs for $79 that are like new at one of the golf stores I frequent. Just beautiful. Interesting, the only writing on the club is "Wilson" on the sole and then "Staff" on the back of the blade. It doesn't say "FG-17", nor does is say "tour blade". Just "Staff". Also, they have Dynamic Gold shafts and I don't believe those existed back in the 70's or early 80's.

Speaking of Wilson (not the volley ball character in that awful Tom Hanks film), I just picked up a set of Wilson Pi7 irons, 3-PW, Dynamic Gold S300 with Wilson grips for $69 in very good condition. On a whim I grabbed the 7 iron and hit it in the simulator. Wow, it kind of feels like a more forgiving and longer Titleist 990. What's interesting is that these irons have virtually no offset at all. I love it.

I was going to try them out this morning but we had a two hour frost delay.
    I had a set of those. Easy to hit. I used to cream the 3 iron I remember. Didn't yake a shine to them because the heads were just too darn big.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:08 pm

You all have been busy. Op those tn 87 I'm interesting in your feedback. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on some fourteen irons. I found a back up set of 300 forged with the same rifle 5.5 in my gamer set. I'm also looking at some snake eye blades mint, but with s300 shafts. I may have to pass.

Mongrel with a 4dx a great hybrid. Keep looking for a r7 cgb max wood, you won't regret it.

Golfaholic an r11 3 wood

Fd is always in flux, get a set of those 300 in the shaft of your flavor, I like the 5.5 rifles. You may bag them longer then anything you have in awhile. I love them, deadly accurate, incredible feedback, with good results on less then a perfect shot. On the course they shine.
    Best Taylormade iron ever.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:33 pm

12pierogi wrote:You all have been busy. Op those tn 87 I'm interesting in your feedback. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on some fourteen irons. I found a back up set of 300 forged with the same rifle 5.5 in my gamer set. I'm also looking at some snake eye blades mint, but with s300 shafts. I may have to pass.

Mongrel with a 4dx a great hybrid. Keep looking for a r7 cgb max wood, you won't regret it.

Golfaholic an r11 3 wood

Fd is always in flux, get a set of those 300 in the shaft of your flavor, I like the 5.5 rifles. You may bag them longer then anything you have in awhile. I love them, deadly accurate, incredible feedback, with good results on less then a perfect shot. On the course they shine.

Everything I read about the 4DX hybrid indicated that it was a good club. I took mine out yesterday afternoon to the nearest field to try it out. Several problems: it snowed the day before and the field was pretty damp...the wind was blowing in the 30's and gusting...it was about 36 degrees before wind-chill calculations. So I hit a bunch of balls off a short tee and a couple off perched grass lies. The feel is very good. I was fade/slicing them. May swing sucked. Mine has the SR3 UST shaft in stiff and I think it may be too stiff for me. I may pull the SR3 and swap out the V2 84 gram regular I have in my Taylormade Rescue Mid. It would play almost an inch shorter. It is the 17 degree and I am hoping maybe it can eliminate a fairway wood for off the tee. I'm looking for s stinger machine but I have to be able to turn it over.
    JonT
    JonT

Post  JonT Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:46 pm

Kind of going backwards to my roots lately; blades and Pings.

After trying the S59's, and finding that I liked them, I found a set of Wilson Staff FG51's in nice shape for $45, and some Ping i5's to fall back on. The S59's made me realize that I need narrow sole irons like what I learned on and played for years; the zz65 shafts have made finding the optimum shaft weight more important than flex (100 to 110 grams it seems); that I like the fact that Pings are unpretentious quality tools that work and wear well.

Decided that the Titleist 909 D2 was the most consistent driver for me this past year so I got another one; this time with a Voodoo shaft.

Have a happy ho'ing new year everybody drunken
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:13 pm

Mostly German wrote:
    12pierogi wrote:You all have been busy. Op those tn 87 I'm interesting in your feedback. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on some fourteen irons. I found a back up set of 300 forged with the same rifle 5.5 in my gamer set. I'm also looking at some snake eye blades mint, but with s300 shafts. I may have to pass.

Golfaholic an r11 3 wood

Everything I read about the 4DX hybrid indicated that it was a good club. I took mine out yesterday afternoon to the nearest field to try it out. Several problems: it snowed the day before and the field was pretty damp...the wind was blowing in the 30's and gusting...it was about 36 degrees before wind-chill calculations. So I hit a bunch of balls off a short tee and a couple off perched grass lies. The feel is very good. I was fade/slicing them. May swing sucked. Mine has the SR3 UST shaft in stiff and I think it may be too stiff for me. I may pull the SR3 and swap out the V2 84 gram regular I have in my Taylormade Rescue Mid. It would play almost an inch shorter. It is the 17 degree and I am hoping maybe it can eliminate a fairway wood for off the tee. I'm looking for s stinger machine but I have to be able to turn it over.

The Nickents seem a little easier not to hook.
    My 3dx DC with v2 stiff is such a good club from 195ish down to 180 with a easy fade. I think it's 23deg. The 18.5 5dx is rocket out to 210, and have hit 220 in the air, with a nasty draw.

I'm looking for another 4dx with a v2 as the head is a little smaller, then my 3dx I think. Plus my 3dx is pretty beat up.
    Olderplayer
    Olderplayer

Post  Olderplayer Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:21 pm

Golfaholic an r11 3 wood

Will get back to you on these once I have given them the once over.
    I have to smile. I have a real convert to the 300's. You sound just like me. I have said repeatedly that they are the best iron TM have ever produced and right up there for the honors of best players cb ever. Nice to know that there are a few of us who know the secret of the brotherhood.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:53 am

12pierogi wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:

Golfaholic an r11 3 wood

My 3dx DC with v2 stiff is such a good club from 195ish down to 180 with a easy fade. I think it's 23deg. The 18.5 5dx is rocket out to 210, and have hit 220 in the air, with a nasty draw.

I'm looking for another 4dx with a v2 as the head is a little smaller, then my 3dx I think. Plus my 3dx is pretty beat up.

I have a 9 out of 10 condition Nickent 3DX 17 degree with Aldila NV-HL Hybrid 75-S green shaft if you want it. I haven't used it and I paid something like $3.99 for it at Golf Galaxy.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:53 am

Olderplayer wrote:

Golfaholic an r11 3 wood

Will get back to you on these once I have given them the once over.
    I have to smile. I have a real convert to the 300's. You sound just like me. I have said repeatedly that they are the best iron TM have ever produced and right up there for the honors of best players cb ever. Nice to know that there are a few of us who know the secret of the
    brotherhood.

It's almost futile to attempt to find any better than the 300 Tm. Their may be prettier, newer, but that's so superficial. I can see me playing these in my later years. Which is fast approaching as my 50th is this month.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:12 am

FamousDavis wrote:
    12pierogi wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:

Golfaholic an r11 3 wood

I have a 9 out of 10 condition Nickent 3DX 17 degree with Aldila NV-HL Hybrid 75-S green shaft if you want it. I haven't used it and I paid something like $3.99 for it at Golf Galaxy.

I wouldn't mind trying it Thanks. My 18.5 5dx is a beast, but you must put a good swing on it, as it plays around x stiff.
    I like my 3dx but not in the loft I have. I think a 4dx might work better in the 22-24 deg loft with a v2 shaft, but a 17 deg 3dx might be a great club. I would take it and may return the favor. I have a ping becu 2 iron with a zzlite shaft mint ping grip, I don't need. Red or orange dot. Let me know. I can pm you.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:28 am

Mostly German wrote:

Golfaholic an r11 3 wood

That hybrid likes to be hit with a more decending blow like an iron, maybe a tad back in your stance. With almost no tee height. I take a slight divot. Check it out you'll like it.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:13 pm

My problem with hyrids and fairway woods is that my tendency is to hit down on them so maybe this 4DX will be good. So I'm going to work with it a little bit. I may put the V2 hybrid shaft from my Taylor in it and so if it hits better. The heads are both .370" bores. If the Nickent was .335" like my Cobras, I'd have a whole lot more shafts to try. Damned if I'll buy any more shafts with all the damn things I have lying around.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 11:56 am