The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

3 posters

Question for the Pros...

Pky6471
    Pky6471

Question for the Pros... Empty Question for the Pros...

Post  Pky6471 Tue May 05, 2015 3:43 pm

... all of the sudden I am not comfortable playing my 3W (used to be my bread and butter).  I am thinking of getting a 4W (16.5* - 17*) and retire my 3W and 5W... better yet, what would be the equivalent of 4W (in terms of distance) for a gaybrid?

Thanks guys/girls/AC-DC
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Question for the Pros... Empty Re: Question for the Pros...

Post  Mongrel Tue May 05, 2015 7:15 pm

Last summer I got me an Adams Black Super Hybrid in 19* with the factory VooDoo stiff shaft. With a decent swing off a short tee, I can carry it 200 yards with a slight draw and it will run if it hits a fast fairway. I can hit it off a tight fairway lie and out of light rough. These shots go mostly straight unless I really pull it. It took me a few rounds to dial it in and I thought that the shaft might have been too stiff but it is just right if I don't baby it.
    I have tried numerous 3, 4 and 5 woods over the past few years and I still have about 20 of them lying around with some of them just heads. With this Adams, I am no longer interested in anything else. I paid $29 for it at Golfsmith in the used rack and it didn't look like it had ever been hit. A 2011 model, it was only made that one year. The head is slightly large and sort of like a very compact fairway wood.

With the new (used) Ping G15 driver I got this past winter, I can do around 230-250 off the tee and, with a 200 yard hybrid second, have a short iron to gap wedge for the third shot on almost all the par 5's we play.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Wed May 06, 2015 4:06 am

Pky I tried going this route with a 17° 4 wood replacing a 15° 3 wood but found it made no difference. Like you the 3 wood used to be a favorite club and I used to love smoking it off the deck but I've lost confidence in it and it now mainly gets used as an alternative driving club off the tee. YMMV but I found the 17° was no easier to hit off the fairway than the 3 wood so it was a failed experiment for me.

However my longest club off the fairway is my 18° gaybrid and if I nail that sweetly I really can't hit my 3 wood any further so I don't bother as I hit the gaybrid far more consistently.

Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Wed May 06, 2015 6:56 am

Thanks guys... Just like all of you, I have too many clubs on hands so I don't wanna buy another one that does not give me added comfort affraid

On a different note: I played at a local club few days ago, brought my Cally Diablo (65-g , 9.5* S-flex) and TEE driver with me, still hit the old TEE driver quite well (10.5*, 55-g R-flex)... Looks like I am going to bag the TEE driver this season bounce

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:01 pm