The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+2
Mongrel
FamousDavis
6 posters

The Boys are back in town

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

The Boys are back in town Empty The Boys are back in town

Post  FamousDavis Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:19 pm

No, this is not a reference to a Thin Lizzy tune. I guess GR is broke, as in it don't work. So, here we are again. Hopefully you all learned your lesson.

Plus, we got cool emoticons in da house. Word.

I like that show "Orange is the new Black". Self explanatory.

Let's see, what else? Oh, Paula Craemer managed to bag a long one.

Lorenzo is still in Utah.

Putin in Ukrain.

The Boys are back in town Emoticon-tv-026
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

The Boys are back in town Empty Re: The Boys are back in town

Post  Mongrel Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:40 pm

Flew in from Miami Beach. BOAC. Didn't get to bed last night. Man I had a dreadful flight.

Well those Ukraine girls really knock me out. They leave the West behind. And Moscow girls make me sing and shout. And Georgia's always on my my my my my my my my my mind. You don't know how lucky you are, boys.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:09 pm

Mongrel wrote:Flew in from Miami Beach. BOAC. Didn't get to bed last night. Man I had a dreadful flight.

Well those Ukraine girls really knock me out. They leave the West behind. And Moscow girls make me sing and shout. And Georgia's always on my my my my my my my my my mind. You don't know how lucky you are, boys.

That's one of my least favorite Beatle's songs.

Can't believe Tiger withdrew from another tournament. Rory really blew it over the weekend.

No 
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:39 am

FamousDavis wrote:
    Mongrel wrote:Flew in from Miami Beach. BOAC. Didn't get to bed last night. Man I had a dreadful flight.

Can't believe Tiger withdrew from another tournament.  Rory really blew it over the weekend.  

No 

That's one of my favorite Beatles songs. Most Beatles songs are pretty boring/lame IMO but a few songs off the White album are quite heavy for the Beatles compared to the usual dross like Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band.  Suspect 
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:46 am

Kiwigolfer wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:

Can't believe Tiger withdrew from another tournament.  Rory really blew it over the weekend.  

No 

That's one of my favorite Beatles songs. Most Beatles songs are pretty boring/lame IMO but a few songs off the White album are quite heavy for the Beatles compared to the usual dross like Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band.  Suspect 

The Beattles got a lot more interesting after they started to take the psychedlic drugs. George Harrison got enamored of that Indian Hindu spiritual shite but Lennon was always the angry one with the most creative songs and best guitar playing. McCartney was and still is annoyingly MOR. Of course fate would take the best and second best musicians and writers and leave the flaccid pap. None of this applies to Ringo who was and continues to be just the Man with the Beat. (Except of that stoopid poop about some octypus garden or yellow submarine).
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:50 pm

Mongrel wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:

No 

The Beattles got a lot more interesting after they started to take the psychedlic drugs. George Harrison got enamored of that Indian Hindu spiritual shite but Lennon was always the angry one with the most creative songs and best guitar playing. McCartney was and still is annoyingly MOR. Of course fate would take the best and second best musicians and writers and leave the flaccid pap. None of this applies to Ringo who was and continues to be just the Man with the Beat. (Except of that stoopid poop about some octypus garden or yellow submarine).

The Beatles were proof that it's all about the songs and not so much the voice that makes something great. None of them were great singers but they wrote many great songs. Sgt. Pepper was a great album. The White Album was not very good. Back in the USSR was a song they used to make fun of the Beach Boys. Can't believe that one slipped past you, Kiwi.

John Lennon was quoted as saying that their early songs were actually the best. He thought that "she loves you" is the best song they ever wrote. I find that refreshing because so often you hear people talk about lyrics. A good song is one that is catchy and that you want to listen to whenever you hear it.

Rush has many songs that contain lyrics about political mumbo jumbo. Who cares? The songs suck except for Limelight, Spirit of Radio and Tom Sawyer.

that's the Famous word.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:24 pm

famousdavis wrote:

The Beatles were proof that it's all about the songs and not so much the voice that makes something great.  None of them were great singers but they wrote many great songs.  Sgt. Pepper was a great album.  The White Album was not very good.  Back in the USSR was a song they used to make fun of the Beach Boys.  Can't believe that one slipped past you, Kiwi.  

John Lennon was quoted as saying that their early songs were actually the best.  He thought that "she loves you" is the best song they ever wrote.  I find that refreshing because so often you hear people talk about lyrics.   A good song is one that is catchy and that you want to listen to whenever you hear it.  

Rush has many songs that contain lyrics about political mumbo jumbo.  Who cares?  The songs suck except for Limelight, Spirit of Radio and Tom Sawyer.  

that's the Famous word.

Didn't know that Famous but that's pretty cool. The Beach Boys suck so bad that making a Beach Boys ridicule song makes sense.

I grew up listening to all the Beatles stuff and used to love but as I grew up I kind of grew out of it and now find it extremely boring. I agree that their early songs were the best. Not saying the White album was a great album but it had a few of my favorites like Back in the USSR and Helter Skelter.
    rooteen
    rooteen

Post  rooteen Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:46 am

[quote="Kiwigolfer"]
    famousdavis wrote:

Helter Skelter.

Could be a bit like NZ when the tropical cyclone hits this week? How ya going kiwi? You should be out in the wind playing golf when the storm hits, what with all the practice you had in those conditions at Lost farm Wink
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:27 am

"Helter Skelter" was Charles Manson's marching song for the serial ritualistic murders.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:08 am

Always preferred the Stones, Who, Doors, Kinks well hell just about anybody over the Beatles.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:25 am

jt1135 wrote:Always preferred the Stones, Who, Doors, Kinks well hell just about anybody over the Beatles.  

Same here. Add Yardbirds, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Fleetwood Mac (before the girls), Hendrix, Cream, Ten Years After...the list goes on and on.

And how could I forget the Grateful Dead, Traffic and King Crimson? Damn it sucks to get old.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:56 pm

rooteen wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:
    famousdavis wrote:

Helter Skelter.

Could be a bit like NZ when the tropical cyclone hits this week? How ya going kiwi? You should be out in the wind playing golf when the storm hits, what with all the practice you had in those conditions at Lost farm Wink

Yeah unfortunately we are booked on a lake party cruise for my wife's birthday this weekend but looking at the weather we might not leave the dock! We've had a great late summer with lots of beautiful weather so the timing of this is a real bummer.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:54 pm

jt1135 wrote:Always preferred the Stones, Who, Doors, Kinks well hell just about anybody over the Beatles.  

I hate The Who. Most overrated band of all time. I like the Doors but find their music kind of a once a year type of thing. I don't know how anyone could prefer the Stones over the Beatles. Beatles have way more quality songs and are more diverse.

Of course this is all opinion but I think we can all agree that my opinion is a little better.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:13 am

FamousDavis wrote:

I hate The Who.  Most overrated band of all time.  I like the Doors but find their music kind of a once a year type of thing.   I don't know how anyone could prefer the Stones over the Beatles.  Beatles have way more quality songs and are more diverse.  

Of course this is all opinion but I think we can all agree that my opinion is a little better.

The Who have some great songs like 'Pictures of Lily' and ' I'm a Boy'.

How can you not like such epic songs sung in harmonized, high pitched voices? They are almost up ther with the Beach Boys.
    Olderplayer
    Olderplayer

Post  Olderplayer Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:13 am

The Stones verses the Beatles was more about an identity choice than the music, although both were outstanding in creatively.
    The Beatles were presented as lovable rebels that your mother could approve of as the new modern trend, and acceptable new wave role models for their children. Slightly longer haired fun loving young people.
    The Stones on the other hand stood in stark contrast to that. They were bad boys through and through. Drug taking, anti authoritarian party animals that were a threat to all things decent in society.
    If you were a true missfit the Stones were the band for you.
    Funny how the cultural politics were in those days.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:44 am

Late yesterday evening I was starting the beginning of another novel and, as is my habit, I had my small desktop radio tuned to a local college FM station. Really just background music to balance out the volume of the telly the wife was watching in the next room. The radio DJ sounded like he was stoned out of his mind and was playing an eclectic mix of 60's and 70's stuff I either had never heard or not heard in a long time like Leonard Skynnard (or however you spell that sh*t), Rossington Collins Band, Strawberry Alarm Clock, etc. It really went in one ear and then out the other without disrupting the novel-reading circuitry. A bit later, sounds on the radio tore me from the book and I turned up the volume. Damn, that blues song was really good with exquisite slide and picked guitar works. That one segued into another and finally I realized it was the Stones from way back in the '60's with blues songs that were never really played a lot back then. The difference between the Stones and the Beattles was and is in the decision-making process. The Beattles fan decides between flavors of chewing gum. The Stones fan has to decide whether its OK to forego the condom with this new girl.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:10 pm

"The difference between the Stones and the Beattles was and is in the decision-making process. The Beattles fan decides between flavors of chewing gum. The Stones fan has to decide whether its OK to forego the condom with this new girl."

You hit the nail on the head mongrel cheers 

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 2:58 am