The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+3
trombettista_vecchio
Lorenzzo
tonyj5
7 posters

Looking Back at my 2014 Predictions. Did I get it right?

tonyj5
    tonyj5

Looking Back at my 2014 Predictions. Did I get it right? Empty Looking Back at my 2014 Predictions. Did I get it right?

Post  tonyj5 Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:45 pm

The 2014 LPGA season was full of surprises. We had 21 different winners. We had 8 multiple winners. Two winners were non LPGA members. We also had winners that came from 7 different countries. We had seven first time winners. It was a year that was almost impossible to predict, although I did give it a try.

Way back in January, before the season began, I made my predictions of who I thought would be the top players of 2014. I put it out there for the whole world to see. Let's see how I did:

http://www.tonyslpgareport.com/2014/12/looking-back-at-my-2014-predictions-did.html
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Looking Back at my 2014 Predictions. Did I get it right? Empty Re: Looking Back at my 2014 Predictions. Did I get it right?

Post  Lorenzzo Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:12 pm

This is a great thread… here are the results of my 2014 predictions...

1. Police abuses would finally spark mass rebellion....Nailed this one...

2. Jordan Spieth would play and excel in the Ryder Cup.....Another bullseye

3. My gf would find and dump my collection of women's undergarments left behind from
    the old days.....Shit I hate being right

4. The Bengals would rise to the top.....ok I missed this one.

5. The earth would be destroyed by an asteroid...another miss.

Not bad really… Three for five...

trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Looking Back at my 2014 Predictions. Did I get it right? Empty Re: Looking Back at my 2014 Predictions. Did I get it right?

Post  trombettista_vecchio Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:44 pm

Are we certain that the earth will not be destroyed by an asteroid?

4 out of 5 is still possible.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:27 pm

trombettista_vecchio wrote:Are we certain that the earth will not be destroyed by an asteroid?

For that matter the Bengals will make the playoffs and then stranger things...

However beating up on Jonny Pathetic Football doesn't prove anything.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:18 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:
    trombettista_vecchio wrote:Are we certain that the earth will not be destroyed by an asteroid?

I don't know where you are getting your information from, but the Bengals will not be making the playoffs this year. They will definitely go 0-2 and be passed by the Ravens and Steelers.

Also, for 2015, I am predicting that Jonathan Football will be a top 10 QB. But yes, he was terrible against the Bengals.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:57 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:

I don't know where you are getting your information from, but the Bengals will not be making the playoffs this year.  They will definitely go 0-2 and be passed by the Ravens and Steelers.  

Also, for 2015, I am predicting that Jonathan Football will be a top 10 QB.  But yes, he was terrible against the Bengals.  

I'm just showing a little confidence in my former team.  But living in Cincinnati you would have to be daft to get that wrong....

Top 10? Really? Okay… I'll take that bet...
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:27 am

Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:

I don't know where you are getting your information from, but the Bengals will not be making the playoffs this year.  They will definitely go 0-2 and be passed by the Ravens and Steelers.  

Also, for 2015, I am predicting that Jonathan Football will be a top 10 QB.  But yes, he was terrible against the Bengals.  

I'm just showing a little confidence in my former team.  But living in Cincinnati you would have to be daft to get that wrong....

I'm going to need some odds. I'm just not seeing very many good QBs out there. I would trade Dalton for Mr. Football in a heartbeat, but I'm one of only a few people outside of Texas who think he's going to be a good pro. My instincts are impeccable, btw.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:44 am

Mr. Football could be a Number One Quarterback. In the CFL.

For the near run, give me Russell Wilson or Tom Brady.

Of course it helps to have a good O line to keep you clean. And a good back to scare their D. And pass-catchers who can actually hold onto thrown footballs, leap and dive to catch footballs, run the called routes, and have enough brains to get open after the QB has checked down and is out of targets and half a second away from getting the bell-ring.

And to just take off and get the damn first down instead of trying the hero play.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:22 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:

I'm going to need some odds.  I'm just not seeing very many good QBs out there.  I would trade Dalton for Mr. Football in a heartbeat, but I'm one of only a few people outside of Texas who think he's going to be a good pro.  My instincts are impeccable, btw.  

I'm not quite sure how odds work if there isn't money at stake… but sure what the hell… how about 1 million to 1?

I confess to having bias against Johnny Foottesticle. He lacks ethic, he's a running quarterback and he had the gall to trademark his name encompassing his sport. For me that wins the douche derby trifecta.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:28 pm

Mongrel wrote:Mr. Football could be a Number One Quarterback. In the CFL.

For the near run, give me Russell Wilson or Tom Brady.

Of course it helps to have a good O line to keep you clean. And a good back to scare their D. And pass-catchers who can actually hold onto thrown footballs, leap and dive to catch footballs, run the called routes, and have enough brains to get open after the QB has checked down and is out of targets and half a second away from getting the bell-ring.

And to just take off and get the damn first down instead of trying the hero play.

If he had those kinds of receivers I think it would just expose him. The other thing working against Johnny Scrotum is over involved parents. If my kid made the public eye you would never see me. Seriously, the CIA wouldn't find me.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:45 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:

I'm going to need some odds.  I'm just not seeing very many good QBs out there.  I would trade Dalton for Mr. Football in a heartbeat, but I'm one of only a few people outside of Texas who think he's going to be a good pro.  My instincts are impeccable, btw.  

I'm not quite sure how odds work if there isn't money at stake… but sure what the hell… how about 1 million to 1?

I confess to having bias against Johnny Foottesticle. He lacks ethic, he's a running quarterback and he had the gall to trademark his name encompassing his sport. For me that wins the douche derby trifecta.
    I am always a fan of the people creating interest and going against the grain. Sherman, Sabbatini, Juan Foosball, etc. The majority of pro athletes are douches, I find the ones who embrace it refreshing.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:03 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:

I am always a fan of the people creating interest and going against the grain.  Sherman, Sabbatini, Juan Foosball, etc.  The majority of pro athletes are douches, I find the ones who embrace it refreshing.  

It's interesting....I think I'm just enough older than you to have difficulty relating to that.  We grew up liking guys who were arrows, appreciating accomplishment with humility and respect.  My generation was taught to not beat our chests (well yeah there was Tarzan), act like we'd been there before, respect intelligence, elders, etc.  The world has most definitely changed.

Your perspective seems a little closer to the hat backwards generation.  In my ski instructor gig I get to deal with all of them....yours, mine and the others.  They are just different. It is fun after a lesson to take the more brash ones into ego bruising terrain whereas lessons are typically reigned in. I don't do it until after tips have been received.

I don't need the tip money, I'm saving it for season's end to throw a rip roaring party at my place for my colleagues most of whom live a subsistence life. They don't have much but they are one happy group of people.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:29 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:

I am always a fan of the people creating interest and going against the grain.  Sherman, Sabbatini, Juan Foosball, etc.  The majority of pro athletes are douches, I find the ones who embrace it refreshing.  

It's interesting....I think I'm just enough older than you to have difficulty relating to that.  We grew up liking guys who were arrows, appreciating accomplishment with humility and respect.  My generation was taught to not beat our chests (well yeah there was Tarzan), act like we'd been there before, respect intelligence, elders, etc.  The world has most definitely changed.

Your perspective seems a little closer to the hat backwards generation.  In my ski instructor gig I get to deal with all of them....yours, mine and the others.  They are just different. It is fun after a lesson to take the more brash ones into ego bruising terrain whereas lessons are typically reigned in. I don't do it until after tips have been received.

I don't need the tip money, I'm saving it for season's end to throw a rip roaring party at my place for my colleagues most of whom live a subsistence life. They don't have much but they are one happy group of people.
    See, it has nothing to do with any of that. I don't make my "fan relationship" personally. I don't know any of those guys, I don't act like those guys, and I don't like to personally associate with anyone who does act like that. I root for chaos and unpredictability. Excellence and by-the-book do not hold my interest when it comes to watching sports.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:50 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:

See, it has nothing to do with any of that.  I don't make my "fan relationship" personally.  I don't know any of those guys, I don't act like those guys, and I don't like to personally associate with anyone who does act like that.  I root for chaos and unpredictability.  Excellence and by-the-book do not hold my interest when it comes to watching sports.  

Then let me ask you this… Do you feel that way as to players on One of your teams? Take the Bengals for example… Do you want those kinds of players on your team?
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:31 am

It's refreshing to see a tonyj5 thread get threadjacked.  Wink
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:59 am

Kiwigolfer wrote:It's refreshing to see a tonyj5 thread get threadjacked.  Wink

Smile
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:20 am

Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:

See, it has nothing to do with any of that.  I don't make my "fan relationship" personally.  I don't know any of those guys, I don't act like those guys, and I don't like to personally associate with anyone who does act like that.  I root for chaos and unpredictability.  Excellence and by-the-book do not hold my interest when it comes to watching sports.  

Then let me ask you this… Do you feel that way as to players on One of your teams? Take the  Bengals for example… Do you want those kinds of players on your team?
    If they are good players, yes. I loved Chad Johnson when he was a trash-talking badass. Then he just became a trash-talking average receiver. Then he became a cancer. Didn't care for the last two versions. I would love to have Richard Sherman on the Bengals. I think there is a big difference between selfish loudmouths like Terrell Owens, and outspoken players with the respect of their teammates like Richard Sherman. It's a bit of a fine line, admittedly.

At his point, I'd take Julio Football over Andy Dalton. That's more of an indictment on the passionless choker than praise for Jimmy F., though I do think he will be good in the NFL. He could easily become a Drew Brees or Russell Wilson type of player with a good team around him.

Let's face it, I don't have anything personally invested in my fandom other than the enjoyment of the games. When my teams are winning, it's more fun to watch. When they lose, I don't beat my kids or call in sick to work. When I see a fan of a rival team, I don't hold them in disregard, unless they are psychos who somehow feel a transient property between their team and their own well-being. Then again, I automatically have a low opinion of anyone whose sense of self is tied to something they have no control of, including Bengals fans.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:18 am

T.O. was a royal pain in the ass. He also played WR at an extremely high level for years. The year he played for my team, the Eagles, the team went to the Superbowl. T.O. played that game with a broken leg. The Eagles QB puked on the field and couldn't find T.O. often enough. Not T.O.'s fault. The dude came to play every game every play.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:30 am

Mongrel wrote:T.O. was a royal pain in the ass. He also played WR at an extremely high level for years. The year he played for my team, the Eagles, the team went to the Superbowl. T.O. played that game with a broken leg. The Eagles QB puked on the field and couldn't find T.O. often enough. Not T.O.'s fault. The dude came to play every game every play.
    That was T.O.'s last season as a "good teammate." He was always arrogant but he seemed like a happy guy up until that Superbowl. Philly has got to be the meanest city in America. Everyone is angry, even the panhandlers will call you an asshole if you don't give them anything. I suppose all the Northeast cities have more than their fair share of rude assholes, but at least NYC and DC have a ton of people who weren't raised there. Perhaps my Midwest sensibilities are showing...
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:07 am

Inner city Philly is indeed a shit hole. Like most other major U.S. cities I've been to. I grew up on a farm about fifteen miles northwest of the Philly city line. In the '60's, it was a piece of cake to drive from the sticks to downtown to catch a Phillies game or go to clubs.

The Eagles used to conduct their summer training camp at a college about two miles from our farm. In the early '70's, my friends and I would hang out with them at one of the college bars in town. It was summer and all the college kids were gone leaving just us townies and the Eagles.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:46 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:

Then let me ask you this… Do you feel that way as to players on One of your teams? Take the  Bengals for example… Do you want those kinds of players on your team?
    If they are good players, yes.  I loved Chad Johnson when he was a trash-talking badass.  Then he just became a trash-talking average receiver.  Then he became a cancer.  Didn't care for the last two versions.  I would love to have Richard Sherman on the Bengals.  I think there is a big difference between selfish loudmouths like Terrell Owens, and outspoken players with the respect of their teammates like Richard Sherman.  It's a bit of a fine line, admittedly.  

At his point, I'd take Julio Football over Andy Dalton.  That's more of an indictment on the passionless choker than praise for Jimmy F., though I do think he will be good in the NFL.  He could easily become a Drew Brees or Russell Wilson type of player with a good team around him.  

Let's face it, I don't have anything personally invested in my fandom other than the enjoyment of the games.  When my teams are winning, it's more fun to watch.  When they lose, I don't beat my kids or call in sick to work.  When I see a fan of a rival team, I don't hold them in disregard, unless they are psychos who somehow feel a transient property between their team and their own well-being.  Then again, I automatically have a low opinion of anyone whose sense of self is tied to something they have no control of, including Bengals fans.  

Well I'm with you as you probably know as to the extent of fan investment in teams. It does explain certain things such as levels of ignorance, Nazi Germany, political affiliation.

As to unprofessional prima donnas, sure, the psychological make up of a receiver associates with certain things. If you weeded out assholes at receiver it would probably run counter.

But we're talking quarterback here -- the leader on offense. No matter the era leadership requires certain things.

So I presume you get into professional wrestling?
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:52 pm

Mongrel wrote:Inner city Philly is indeed a shit hole. Like most other major U.S. cities I've been to. I grew up on a farm about fifteen miles northwest of the Philly city line. In the '60's, it was a piece of cake to drive from the sticks to downtown to catch a Phillies game or go to clubs.

The Eagles used to conduct their summer training camp at a college about two miles from our farm. In the early '70's, my friends and I would hang out with them at one of the college bars in town. It was summer and all the college kids were gone leaving just us townies and the Eagles.

I spent time in the Philly area when younger and found the contrast between the beautiful countryside and the ugly insides of those in the metro to be striking. Yeah… You've got a certain thing going on in a lot of eastern cities but nothing like Philly. Maybe it's the cheese steaks.  Eating those things can't help one's disposition.

Seriously though… How can something as vile as a cheese steak be considered a delicacy. Compared to what…vomit?
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:23 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:
    Mongrel wrote:Inner city Philly is indeed a shit hole. Like most other major U.S. cities I've been to. I grew up on a farm about fifteen miles northwest of the Philly city line. In the '60's, it was a piece of cake to drive from the sticks to downtown to catch a Phillies game or go to clubs.

I spent time in the Philly area when younger and found the contrast between the beautiful countryside and the ugly insides of those in the metro to be striking. Yeah… You've got a certain thing going on in a lot of eastern cities but nothing like Philly. Maybe it's the cheese steaks.  Eating those things can't help one's disposition.

Seriously though… How can something as vile as a cheese steak be considered a delicacy. Compared to what…vomit?

Guessing you're a tofu and bean sprout kind of guy.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:54 am

jt1135 wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:

Guessing you're a tofu and bean sprout kind of guy.

No not at all. I like a good steak. But my definition of steak doesn't include something that isn't. If I'm going to have red meat which isn't that often I'm not going to waste it on 3.500 calories of cheap, tough meat leather, white bread and american "cheese". I pity someone who would eat that stuff.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:01 am

Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:

If they are good players, yes.  I loved Chad Johnson when he was a trash-talking badass.  Then he just became a trash-talking average receiver.  Then he became a cancer.  Didn't care for the last two versions.  I would love to have Richard Sherman on the Bengals.  I think there is a big difference between selfish loudmouths like Terrell Owens, and outspoken players with the respect of their teammates like Richard Sherman.  It's a bit of a fine line, admittedly.  

At his point, I'd take Julio Football over Andy Dalton.  That's more of an indictment on the passionless choker than praise for Jimmy F., though I do think he will be good in the NFL.  He could easily become a Drew Brees or Russell Wilson type of player with a good team around him.  

Let's face it, I don't have anything personally invested in my fandom other than the enjoyment of the games.  When my teams are winning, it's more fun to watch.  When they lose, I don't beat my kids or call in sick to work.  When I see a fan of a rival team, I don't hold them in disregard, unless they are psychos who somehow feel a transient property between their team and their own well-being.  Then again, I automatically have a low opinion of anyone whose sense of self is tied to something they have no control of, including Bengals fans.  

Well I'm with you as you probably know as to the extent of fan investment in teams. It does explain certain things such as levels of ignorance, Nazi Germany, political affiliation.

As to unprofessional prima donnas, sure, the psychological make up of a receiver associates with certain things. If you weeded out assholes at receiver it would probably run counter.

But we're talking quarterback here -- the leader on offense. No matter the era leadership requires certain things.

So I presume you get into professional wrestling?
    Don't forget religious fanaticism. Pretty much geography as far as I'm concerned.
    As long as the QB has the team behind him, I don't really care. Though I do concede that a prima donna's staying power in a leadership role probably has a shorter shelf life than that of a boring professional task master like Brady or Manning.
    I'm not into pro wrestling, though I can appreciate the medium. Basically just a bunch of dudes trolling stupid rednecks.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 5:02 pm