The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+20
jmtbkr
Kiwigolfer
FreakOfNature
Horseballs
FamousDavis
rooteen
The Ghost of FD
BBQpig
Hubijerk
The Doctor
corythepagan
Lorenzzo
Big Dave
Poe4soul
SoonerBS
californiataxes
Player
12pierogi
Fluffy
Lord Helmet
24 posters

On The Course - Round Report

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

On The Course - Round Report - Page 4 Empty Re: On The Course - Round Report

Post  FamousDavis Sun May 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Shot 78 today at a course named Sea & Air in Coronado. Part of it runs along the ocean. Played the i20 driver with X-24 hot irons. I had four 3 putts. I was bombing this driver. I tell you, if you are a 12 handicap or less and need to lower your spin this is a driver you might want to try. I hit it noticeably longer on center hits. A few drives were significantly longer than normal. It reminds me a little of the Adams 9064LS with RIP shaft. The miss seems to be a push that still seems to provide good distance.

On a couple of holes I had short irons into the green when normally I'd be hitting a 5 or 6 iron. For whatever reason I was experiencing something I've had before were none of the iron shots felt solid.
    Big Dave
    Big Dave

On The Course - Round Report - Page 4 Empty okay, Big Dave is under way again....

Post  Big Dave Mon May 27, 2013 5:36 pm

Played at home, at Gleannloch today... the Pines nine was my first nine, that's the longer harder one... shot 40 over there hitting only 4 greens... got up and down a few times... the middle nine was my back nine, the Gleann... shorter and easier but I had a couple of doubles back there, a couple of pulled drives and a misplayed bunker shot... missed a bunch of four and five footers on the back, too...

shot 83 today, 11 over. Gave away four strokes on the last four holes, bogey double par bogey, lip outs and a bunker shot over the green on 18.

Didn't even SNIFF a birdie today, lucky to hit greens at all for some reason... driver was great, long and straight... anything else I hit off the tee, also great. Fairway woods and gaybrids, great.... five and six iron, great.... but get me down into 8-wedge and I could not find the flag, missed whole greens even, from 110 or 130 or whatever... the shorter clubs were just suckville. I must have hit gap on four different approaches and not got within 25 feet. I was slicing wedges. Something wrong with the fundamentals there. But not with the long game.

Long game gets an A grade today. Inside 150 yards I take a D, and that only because I had a couple of long up and downs to improve my mood.

I think it's the knee. The lower I have to crouch to make a stance, the more I'll flinch out of it. I think I need to just take lots of ibuprofen before the round starts. Didn't do that.

But the knee is WAY better than it was about fifty pounds ago. I'm hoping it keeps getting better, and if I drop another fifty it shouldn't hurt at all.

So, I'm back, and had an 83. Could have been worse. Once I figure out how to swing a short iron, it'll get a LOT better.

Maybe next time I'll play the back tees so that all my approaches are five irons. :-)

added thought-- I WILL break 80 again this year. Haven't done it since I played regularly about ten years ago. I had a 75, +3, in spring of 2004. Haven't played enough since. But this year I'm gonna break 80 again. :-)

I hit driver 12 times, and ten of them were long and straight. A couple of mild pulls, only one of which got me in trouble. And the other 2 tee shots I hit gaybrid and hit IT perfectly, high and straight and long. The tee box was my friend today.

Last edited by Big Dave on Mon May 27, 2013 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Big Dave
    Big Dave

Post  Big Dave Mon May 27, 2013 5:48 pm

FamousDavis wrote:Shot 78 today at a course named Sea & Air in Coronado. Part of it runs along the ocean. Played the i20 driver with X-24 hot irons. I had four 3 putts. I was bombing this driver. I tell you, if you are a 12 handicap or less and need to lower your spin this is a driver you might want to try. I hit it noticeably longer on center hits. A few drives were significantly longer than normal. It reminds me a little of the Adams 9064LS with RIP shaft. The miss seems to be a push that still seems to provide good distance.

On a couple of holes I had short irons into the green when normally I'd be hitting a 5 or 6 iron. For whatever reason I was experiencing something I've had before were none of the iron shots felt solid.

Are those Hots just strong lofts? Or is there some other kind of tech there?
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Mon May 27, 2013 10:33 pm

Big Dave wrote: Driver was great, long and straight... anything else I hit off the tee, also great. Fairway woods and gaybrids, great.... five and six iron, great.... but get me down into 8-wedge and I could not find the flag, missed whole greens even, from 110 or 130 or whatever... the shorter clubs were just suckville. I must have hit gap on four different approaches and not got within 25 feet. I was slicing wedges. Something wrong with the fundamentals there. But not with the long game.

Last time out I had the same issues. Kept on effing up the short approaches. Long game was fine. One tough par 5 is often a graveyard for me but usually it's a poor drive or poor second shot that gets me into trouble. On this occasion after a good drive and great second shot I had 62m to the flag. Theoretically a great birdie opportunity. Instead I almost shanked it into a bunker front right and ended up carding a double.

As for breaking 80 I'm absolutely sure you can do it. If you shot 83 first time out then carving off 4 shots won't be too hard. I shot 77 a month or so ago which is my first sub 80 round in several seasons. So us old buggers still have it in us occasionally. Wink
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Wed May 29, 2013 6:45 pm

Nothing yet but I'll keep you posted.

BTW, I just had the cardiac catheter thing done but the clowns at Mass General didn't see anything. They expected to shove a couple stents in there, but no, something else is causing the discomfort. Back to square one.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu May 30, 2013 12:09 am

Big Dave wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:Shot 78 today at a course named Sea & Air in Coronado. Part of it runs along the ocean. Played the i20 driver with X-24 hot irons. I had four 3 putts. I was bombing this driver. I tell you, if you are a 12 handicap or less and need to lower your spin this is a driver you might want to try. I hit it noticeably longer on center hits. A few drives were significantly longer than normal. It reminds me a little of the Adams 9064LS with RIP shaft. The miss seems to be a push that still seems to provide good distance.

Are those Hots just strong lofts? Or is there some other kind of tech there?

The X-24 hot is strong lofted like most of the latest GI irons but that wasn't what I was trying to say. What I meant was that I was leaving myself with much shorter distance to the pin than before. What I like about the irons is that the shaft seems to fit my swing and the ball doesn't balloon. In addition, they feel good. Not like the MP32s of course but very good for a GI iron.

On another note, I picked up a set of Cleveland TA-2 irons with R300 shafts. I'll play them on Sunday.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:09 pm

Played Saturday and Sunday and although neither round was particularly good for me score wise we always have a side match going on for who buys the beers after the round. That always keeps me interested even if my own round is going to shit. If you triple bogie one hole who cares if you can come back and win the next hole with a par or birdie. On Saturday my partner and I did a great tag team job where every time I effed up a hole he would win or halve it and vice versa. We were 3 up through 9.

After 14 we were dormie, 4 up with 4 to play. Then 3 up with 3 to play after a great birdie by our opponents on 15. They were in the driving seat to win the 16th too. A short par 3 they were both on the green with easy putts where my partner and I had both missed the green and were faced with difficult down hill chips from behind the green. I stuffed mine up and my ball rolled all the way off the front of the green. I then drained a ridiculous fluke 40 foot putt to halve the hole and win 3 & 2.

Then on Sunday in a much tighter match I won with a birdie on 17 to take the match 2 & 1. As a bonus one of our opponents TWICE failed to get past the ladies tee.  A compulsory whiskey in NZ golf. Laughing Both rounds were pretty shite from a scoring point of view but the beers & whiskeys tasted great.   afro
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:06 am

My game has gone in the shitter. Just when I change my grip to fix my cronic slice, which now I am driving perfectly straight 200+ yds, almost everyone of my approach shots have been skulled over the green. I must have done this 6 of 9 holes in yesterdays' work league. I think i'm attributing this to being over anxious to see where the shot will land and I'm lifting my head before striking the ball.
    So Mondays round ended in a miserable 88 and yesterday I shot a crappy 47. As FD says, it's always in the equipment, so maybe I'll change out the bag for those old Tommy Armour 845's I just picked up. pale
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:26 am

My game is so inconsistent right now. I am hitting half of my shots better than ever before, but a few are just WTF. I've been trying to play a fade off the tee, which is more a swing thought than an actual ball flight. The ball pretty much goes straight but doesn't hook. A couple times per round, I'll hit a smother hook which has been killing me. I also have been pull hooking some short irons. Don't get me started about my putting. It has been just embarrassing.
    Last Saturday, I played a really nice, difficult club in Northern KY in fierce wind. I played about 5 holes where any pro would have taken any of the shots, then played another 5 like a total chopper. It took a pretty good turnaround on the back to beat one of my buddies who has never beaten me on 18 holes. He had me by 4 on the front and was in my ear for the back 9 about how he was going to smoke me. Nothing worse than playing bad and having a chopper bust my balls.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

On The Course - Round Report - Page 4 Empty Shot 76

Post  FamousDavis Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:18 pm

I shot a 76 today and it should have been much lower. I'm hitting my driver better than I have in years. I'm still playing the Ping i20 8.5 Degree with stock Ping 707D Stiff shaft. I'm hitting it longer than before, probably by 5 to 10 yards. When I connect it's 20 yards longer. That doesn't sound like much but it can be the difference between a 6 iron and a 9 iron at times. Short game was on fire today. I got up and down a bunch of times.

The irons I played today were the Wilson FG Tour with project X 6.0 shafts. Man these feel good. The 17th hole is a par 3 and was playing at 195 yards. I hit the FG Tour 4 iron to about 15 feet. This set feels very similar to the Wilson Fi5 irons that came out several years ago.

Anyway, I'm pretty psyched with how I'm playing. I need to make more birdie putts. I didn't have one birdie today.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:46 pm

We've got the same driver it seems.  Mine says BBLB on the shaft as well.  Maybe it's one of those hidden codes that, if deciphered, will lead to crazy driving distances.  I think it's too much club for me.  Haven't tried it on the course yet.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:26 pm

Today I played my 'vintage' TA Silver Scotts I ho'd from an old friend. I also ho'd a set of R300 shafts off eblow for 30$.
    I'm only playing 6 seasons now, so I don't really know if they are vintage or classic or whatever. And being this is only like the 3rd set of irons I've ever really played.

Played one of the best rounds I ever had, especially the iron play. Man, these things hit soooo softly and easy....At address, they look almost like blades. Very top line thin.

Think I've found some happiness in the frustrating game of golf.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:48 pm

92 and four water balls. I'm happy.

I'm stilling lovin' those TA irons.  Just sooo easy to hit.

We were following an group that was throwing money on the fairways and greens every hole as they played.
    They all sucked.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

On The Course - Round Report - Page 4 Empty Booyaa

Post  FamousDavis Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:58 pm

Played three days in a row at a friend's CC and shot 77, 77, 76.  My putting was on fire the last day with the TM Corza putter.  Still using the x-24 hot irons.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:20 pm

FamousDavis wrote:Played three days in a row at a friend's CC and shot 77, 77, 76.  My putting was on fire the last day with the TM Corza putter.  Still using the x-24 hot irons.
    Yeah yeah yeah 

But can you hit that superdeep with rip shaft? I pound mine, straightest driver I've ever hit. 
    I actually got a rip phenom 80 in stiff coming for my R9 3 wood.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:27 am

75 at the SPCC without making a putt over 10 feet.  I get absolutely nothing out of my game.  Missed putts inside 4 feet for par on 2 holes on the front.  Had a chip shot up a hill roll back down to my feet (chunked) that resulted in a double.  Hit a par 5 in 2 and 3 jacked after lipping out the eagle.  Missed 4 birdie putts on the back inside 10 feet. 
    I lipped out several putts and left a bunch of putts within tap in, but I never felt like the putts were going to go in. 
    This is one of several rounds this year where I've thrown away half a dozen shots around the greens.  These aren't technical problems, or even poor decisions.  They are just a lack of concentration.  When I chunked the chip, I wasn't even paying attention at all. 
    There are a lot of people I play with who can really grind out a score, despite hitting poor shots.  I'm the opposite.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:00 am

I finally got out and played the front nine with my girlfriend.
    I sucked so badly that I shouldn't have even mentioned it.
    Last year was a good season, but I can't ever imagine seeing 79 again.  I struggled to break fifty for nine.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:34 am

trombettista_vecchio wrote:I finally got out and played the front nine with my girlfriend.
    I sucked so badly that I shouldn't have even mentioned it.
    Last year was a good season, but I can't ever imagine seeing 79 again.  I struggled to break fifty for nine.
    :lol:Did U break 55s?  ... That's what happened when U play with a woman, she would suck the blood out of you....
    Rolling EyesRolling EyesRolling EyesRolling Eyes
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:37 pm

I'm going to hit a bucket today.  I'm not sure of the protocol here, was I supposed to wait until afterwards to post?
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:57 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:I'm going to hit a bucket today.  I'm not sure of the protocol here, was I supposed to wait until afterwards to post?

How is the track in Utah? compared to OC... we heard  Utah  Mormon girls are pretty wild, just like Amish girls....
    bounce
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:48 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:I'm going to hit a bucket today.  I'm not sure of the protocol here, was I supposed to wait until afterwards to post?

Actually that should be its own thread.  Go ahead and create 2 new threads. 
    Pre-range bucket report - this will let us know your schedule
    Range bucket report - details all 80 range balls

The quote function appears to be working better. 
    And yes, I agree with the assessment from your PM.  Apparently when I try to PM, everything goes to hell and I have to shut down my browser.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:56 pm

Pky6471 wrote:

How is the track in Utah? compared to OC... we heard  Utah  Mormon girls are pretty wild, just like Amish girls....
    bounce
    Utah women can be surprisingly freaky and uninhibited if you press the right buttons.  Some of them are downright nasty, if you like that sort of thing. 

As far as golf, there are some nice tracks but I've played none of them so far.  Trying to ease my way back into it.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:00 pm

Horseballs wrote:

Actually that should be its own thread.  Go ahead and create 2 new threads. 
    Pre-range bucket report - this will let us know your schedule
    Range bucket report - details all 80 range balls

The quote function appears to be working better. 
    And yes, I agree with the assessment from your PM.  Apparently when I try to PM, everything goes to hell and I have to shut down my browser.
    Maybe I'll just throw everything into the Slopes thread since the range I use seems filled with Koreans.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:50 am

Lorenzzo wrote:Maybe I'll just throw everything into the Slopes thread since the range I use seems filled with Koreans.

Mormon Koreans in Utah?
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:49 am

Pky6471 wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:Maybe I'll just throw everything into the Slopes thread since the range I use seems filled with Koreans.

Mormon Koreans in Utah?

The majority of Mormons live outside the United States. It's not surprising there'd be Mormon Koreans.

Remember, the Mormon religion began when an angel in upstate New York directed Joseph Smith to a buried book written on golden plates containing the religious history of an ancient people. There was a lot of stuff the book didin't cover but Joseph was able figure it out and then require everyone to do it. Since they would later need a university, they brought in Brigham Young who led them to Utah where he found land for a campus.

Remember, when making s.hit up, anything's possible.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:54 pm