The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+4
BBQpig
FamousDavis
Big Dave
jt1135
8 posters

Didn't want to jack the round report thread.

jt1135
    jt1135

Didn't want to jack the round report thread. Empty Didn't want to jack the round report thread.

Post  jt1135 Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:38 pm

Has to do with my sore elbows. Since I started to play the Snake Eyes Viper Tour with Project X 5.5's my game has gotten better. But I'm wondering if a change of shafts and irons, Srixon 701s w/ TT Dynalite golds, might have caused this? Could be the grips, the Srixons have Lamkin Crosslines and the SEs have Winn + tour series master wraps. What say ya'll.
    Big Dave
    Big Dave

Didn't want to jack the round report thread. Empty Re: Didn't want to jack the round report thread.

Post  Big Dave Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:58 pm

jt1135 wrote:Has to do with my sore elbows.  Since I started to play the Snake Eyes Viper Tour with Project X 5.5's my game has gotten better.  But I'm wondering if a change of shafts and irons, Srixon 701s w/ TT Dynalite golds, might have caused this?  Could be the grips, the Srixons have Lamkin Crosslines and the SEs have Winn + tour series master wraps.  What say ya'll.

I only ever get a sore left elbow, from the extension snap at impact. Right elbow doesn't hurt at all. Can't figure out how you do that. But Winn does have those super-soft grips, like Dr. Scholl gel pads in your shoes. Just sayin'.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Didn't want to jack the round report thread. Empty Re: Didn't want to jack the round report thread.

Post  FamousDavis Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:09 am

jt1135 wrote:Has to do with my sore elbows.  Since I started to play the Snake Eyes Viper Tour with Project X 5.5's my game has gotten better.  But I'm wondering if a change of shafts and irons, Srixon 701s w/ TT Dynalite golds, might have caused this?  Could be the grips, the Srixons have Lamkin Crosslines and the SEs have Winn + tour series master wraps.  What say ya'll.

I doubt it's the grips because that really has nothing to do with the sharp pain in your elbow, which I too have had. Believe it or not, in my case it usually is the result of not keeping the right elbow close enough to my body on the backswing and then it really hurts coming into the ball. Also, didn't you say that you've been playing 6x a week? That's a lot of golf if you are over the age of 45.

Try holding the club lightly and keep the right arm close to your body and swing from the inside. That will keep the stress off the right elbow. Just my 2 cents.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:56 am

Yeah its a lot of golf. Sunday starts in midmorning for at least eighteen. Monday is generally eighteen. Tuesday is 36. Wednesday is womens day so that's lawn mowing day. Thursday is eighteen. Friday is an early afternoon eighteen as is Saturday. Same schedule as last year.

Maybe retirement isn't being that nice to me.

More than likely its my swing. Grip it and rip it. Have to swing for the fences on most every shot. If I try to lay off usually bad things happen. Why I have my clubs set up in the gaps and lengths that I have. Have about as much finesse as Godzilla stomping through Tokyo.
    BBQpig
    BBQpig

Post  BBQpig Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:49 am

If I'm understanding you correctly, since you started playing px shafts you hurt.
    I quite playing them for that very reason. I love the shot dispersion, but they resonate, and cause aches, and pains.
    I don't have any pain playing plain old dg shafts or rifle or KBS, the TT shafts with s3 proprietary metal sting also.
    I'm back to playing pretty heavy shafts in everything, and love it. May have lost a couple yards, big deal.
    I do put an extra wrap on my grips.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:44 am

Its the shafts, grips, clubs and how you go through the ball at impact. And the course conditions. I've always been a digger with my irons and when I was a good bit younger, played forged blade irons with S300 130 gram shafts with hard rubber grips. This was fine so long as I was playing on lushly maintained private club fairways but when I'd play a muni in the dried out summer with concrete fairways, I'd suffer hand, elbow and back pains trying to dig those irons out of the dirt.

So now at 66 I'm still a bit of a digger but found that my new irons, Mizuno MX 25's, have sole grinds that are better for me than those I played previously and I reshafted them with Dynalite Gold SL S300's that I soft-stepped three times and cut them to play about 1/2" over factory spec. The grips are Golf Pride Tour's (the ones that like wet and shiny) with a full wrap of duct tape under the bottom half of the grip. Now I could hit 500 iron shots off hardpan and not have elbow pain.

I've found that the best grip for my drivers and fairway woods is the Winn DriTac Wrap 1/16" oversize. For whatever reason, every other grip I've tried on drivers causes a bit of elbow pain after a full shots on the range and me compensating with the resulting drives going , topped or popped. With the Winn, its just about dead straight or with a slight cut at the end which is how I want to play it off most tees.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:25 pm

Less stress on elbows if tension is low and wrist doesn't cup at impact. If the trailing elbow is hurting there may be too much right side involvement.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:50 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:Less stress on elbows if tension is low and wrist doesn't cup at impact.  If the trailing elbow is hurting there may be too much right side involvement.

Zo... Looks like Utah has some great golf courses ... some tourney there this weekend... should not hurt your elbow if you did not hit the ground first Razz 
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:19 pm

jt1135 wrote: Yeah its a lot of golf. Sunday starts in midmorning for at least eighteen. Monday is generally eighteen. Tuesday is 36. Wednesday is womens day so that's lawn mowing day. Thursday is eighteen. Friday is an early afternoon eighteen as is Saturday. Same schedule as last year.

Maybe retirement isn't being that nice to me.

More than likely its my swing. Grip it and rip it. Have to swing for the fences on most every shot. If I try to lay off usually bad things happen. Why I have my clubs set up in the gaps and lengths that I have. Have about as much finesse as Godzilla stomping through Tokyo.

Dude I'm getting sore elbows just reading that playing schedule. Just kidding, I'm just jealous but I'd probably get sore elbows, wrists and back playing that much. I've had elbow pain in the past but only minor and usually temporary from playing + too much range time. Definitely relax your grip and grip the clubs as lightly as possible . The death grip will definitely lead to elbow pain.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:41 pm

Pky6471 wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:Less stress on elbows if tension is low and wrist doesn't cup at impact.  If the trailing elbow is hurting there may be too much right side involvement.

Zo... Looks like Utah has some great golf courses ... some tourney there this weekend... should not hurt your elbow if you did not hit the ground first Razz 

Haven't played golf since I've been here but then it's only been about a year and a half.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:43 pm

Pky6471 wrote:

I watched some of that and it sure looks beautiful. And somewhat familiar. And then when the announcer said that the course was originally built in the 1950's, something clicked and I think it was the course that my father and I played with our hosts who lived in Sandy, Utah, and belonged to the local club. Of course it looks a lot better now than I remember it in the late fall of 1967 but remember that we went skiing on a slope up the canyon in Alta and then came down and played a round of golf in the afternoon. Don't know where else you can do that although there may be some of them out there.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:24 am