The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+4
Kiwigolfer
jmtbkr
Mongrel
jt1135
8 posters

Time for a new bag.

jt1135
    jt1135

Time for a new bag. Empty Time for a new bag.

Post  jt1135 Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:25 pm

Well, my Datrek cart bag is finally ready for retirement after 7 years. Zippers gave out. Looking at a SM C-130 but I don't like the putter well in the front. I see most of the newer bags all have that but I like the putter on the side out of the way of the rest of the clubs. Guess I could put new zippers in but around here I don't have a clue where I could get that done. Then again, could just use it for storing clubs in the basement and spend the two bills and get a new one. Any suggestions?
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Time for a new bag. Empty Re: Time for a new bag.

Post  Mongrel Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:36 pm

Not really. I got this el cheapo carry bag three Christmases ago and it works well in the carts and for when I carry it. From the car to the range or the cart and back again. Problem arose, however, when I got my first big-headed high MOI humongo-mallet Rife 2 Bar that is made from weapons-grade forged aluminum. To say that it doesn't play with with the other kids in the bag is an understatement. So as much as I detest head covers of any kind, I found that the driver head cover from an unused well-intentioned Christmas gift some years ago, fits the Rife head like a glove and protects the other shafts. So I stow it in the lowest bag well along with the other short weapons, the loftiest wedges, that I have managed to winnow down to two since my MP 14 pitching wedge is already 50 degrees and a perfect gap wedge that also does excellent chipping and short pitching duties. It helps that the Rife playing length is 33". I really hate spending more than a little bread on a freaking bag.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:23 pm

Not happy about spending the jing but need one. No magnetic ball pouches, they suck after a few years when the balls start falling out. My biggest b!tch is the putter well. Right now, I can see all my clubs clearly, which since I know where all my clubs are (separate dividers) shouldn't be a big deal but it irks me. Saw one, Datrek I think, that had 2 putter wells. Why? It needs a cold beverage spot for beer, that is a must!
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:16 am

Callaway org14. I have two of them.

Love thw new avatar! FFB's rock!
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:59 pm

jt1135 wrote:Not happy about spending the jing but need one. No magnetic ball pouches, they suck after a few years when the balls start falling out. My biggest b!tch is the putter well. Right now, I can see all my clubs clearly, which since I know where all my clubs are (separate dividers) shouldn't be a big deal but it irks me. Saw one, Datrek I think, that had 2 putter wells. Why? It needs a cold beverage spot for beer, that is a must!

Two putter wells is so you can carry your favourite putter for long lag putts and your favourite putter for short putts. It's just like carrying a draw and fade driver and is featured in Dave Pelz's new book The Dave Pelz Bag Setup Bible.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:51 pm

Thanks jm, always like the FFB's. Already using 4 wedges counting the pw so two putters wouldn't be out of place I guess. With the futura and the rife both sticking out of the bag people would be asking me whats on the tv all the time tho.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:20 pm

After spending many hours the last few day (not much else to do here with all the damn snow) have narrowed it done to a short list. Sun Mountain C-130, the 2011 model can be had much cheaper than the 2013 but its a soft sided bag with rods to hold it rigid. What happens when you have clothes in the big pouches and it pushes in on the fabric. Don't want to be seen trying to extract or insert a club like I'm jacking off the sob. Has to be easy in and easy out. Datrek F-15, new for this year and it has full length dividers which is a must but the putter well sticks up in the air and just looks kind of goofy. Callaway Org XT, nice bag but doesn't have individual dividers just row dividers which doesn't make me happy. Tour Egde Xtreme 2 which is brand new this year plus it is the cheapest with full length dividers.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:55 am

Followed the advice of a fellow underground comics fan. After many hours of hand wringing and ass scratching went with the callaway org xt. MAP was 269 and got it for a hundred less including shipping. Budgetgolf has them on the bay for 169 including shipping yet on their main website it is 269. HUH? Paid my dues for the local track and unlimited green fees with a cart for the year was 1056.50. Membership was up so got a 4% discount so ended up the same price as last year. Damn I wish the snow would melt. Haven't swung a club since December 1st.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:42 am

By a older c-130 the putter well is off to the side, mines a few years old, best ever bag. Subtle black, no big lettering cooler pocket that works, with a drain. Slots for every club.

Time for a new bag. 47C8C520-A07E-440E-9087-7CF13C77073A-243-0000006809990E8C_zpse2594aa9
    Time for a new bag. CF6C424F-4069-46BD-8D58-24068E569C29-243-0000007579E39058_zps0f202d05
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:49 pm

jt1135 wrote:Not happy about spending the jing but need one. No magnetic ball pouches, they suck after a few years when the balls start falling out. My biggest b!tch is the putter well. Right now, I can see all my clubs clearly, which since I know where all my clubs are (separate dividers) shouldn't be a big deal but it irks me. Saw one, Datrek I think, that had 2 putter wells. Why? It needs a cold beverage spot for beer, that is a must!
    The second putter well is a slot for choppers to put their ball retrievers. I agree that for players it is a waste of space, but for hacks who are always fishing their balls out of the lake a dedicated ball retriever slot comes in handy. Or so Ive been told by FD.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:35 am

I've only seen one bag that has two putter wells - a Datrek. I was perplexed as to why two putter wells would be needed. I guess you could put a ball retriever in there but, like the previous poster said, that's like waving a flag with the word "hacker" written in bold lettering. Datrek bags are pretty ugly. I like the latest line of Bennington Bags. They've got a walking bag that has individual slots for the irons and looks pretty sleek. I've had the best luck with Sun Mountain and Ping bags. The worst was an Ogio.

I never keep bag tags from resort courses on my bag. Some guys keep them on their bags as to say "hey, check it out, I played Bandon Dunes and then Pebble Beach".

The worst example of bad bag form is to have all matching brands of equipment, bag and then wood and iron covers. Even worse is if the clothing is all Adidas with the matching Taylormade bag, irons, woods and putter. Plus a Taylormade hat to boot.

Today I tried a plastic tee for the first time. It's called a Margarita tee. It's got a wide base where the ball lays and is thicker than some of the other plastic tees I've tried. Easier to put in the ground than the skinny ones. However, it's more difficult to tell how high you've teed it. I tee'd off with the same tee for the whole round. So I got that going for me, which is nice.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:50 am

FamousDavis wrote:
    The worst example of bad bag form is to have all matching brands of equipment, bag and then wood and iron covers. Even worse is if the clothing is all Adidas with the matching Taylormade bag, irons, woods and putter.

This weekend I was waiting outside the pro shop and I noticed a nice Taylormade RBZ bag parked outside. It had a full set of RBZ woods in there, Driver, 3 wood, Rescue clubs and a matching set of RBZ irons. Then I saw the proud owner of the bag emerging from the pro shop with two boxes of RBZ balls to go with the matching bag, woods and irons.

I've always thought it was important to have matching branded irons, woods and bag but matching balls is something I hadn't
    thought of previously.

I wonder if matching branded balls help knock 4 strokes off your cap?
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:43 am

Kiwigolfer wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    The worst example of bad bag form is to have all matching brands of equipment, bag and then wood and iron covers. Even worse is if the clothing is all Adidas with the matching Taylormade bag, irons, woods and putter.

This weekend I was waiting outside the pro shop and I noticed a nice Taylormade RBZ bag parked outside. It had a full set of RBZ woods in there, Driver, 3 wood, Rescue clubs and a matching set of RBZ irons. Then I saw the proud owner of the bag emerging from the pro shop with two boxes of RBZ balls to go with the matching bag, woods and irons.

I've always thought it was important to have matching branded irons, woods and bag but matching balls is something I hadn't
    thought of previously.

Only those guys/girls/AC-DC from Kiwi would try to match everything Question
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:23 am

Kiwigolfer wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:

thought of previously.

Anyone who knows anything about electric guitars knows that if you are playing a Fender guitar, it will always sound best through only a Fender amp. Etc.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:09 pm