The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

3 posters

More NOS Beauties, This Time Under $300

californiataxes

More NOS Beauties, This Time Under $300 Empty More NOS Beauties, This Time Under $300

Post  californiataxes Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:49 pm

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=121428781460&alt=web

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=201163561249&alt=web

Where does this guy come up with this stuff? I wish the NSA would focus on where all the NOS forged irons are, so we could ogle it all in one place.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

More NOS Beauties, This Time Under $300 Empty Re: More NOS Beauties, This Time Under $300

Post  Mongrel Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:02 pm

Thirty to forty years ago, the standard length of a 5 iron was more like 37.5". Those are both nice sets. Look like sets that were bought real cheap from little mom & pop shops that went belly-up when the chains like Nevada Bob's started to invade the golf retail world. Those prices are still less than you would have had to pay for them in the
    '70's.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

More NOS Beauties, This Time Under $300 Empty Re: More NOS Beauties, This Time Under $300

Post  trombettista_vecchio Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:22 pm

Mongrel wrote: Those are both nice sets. Look like sets that were bought real cheap from little mom & pop shops that went belly-up when the chains like Nevada Bob's started to invade the golf retail world.

Mom and pop shops didn't sell pro line clubs in the good old days. Only green grass pro shops did, mongrel. You just briefly forgot as you're obviously old enough to remember.

I think that system was much better, by the way, but I'm obviously well into the minority on that subject.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:18 pm

Sure they did. Many of them were at driving ranges operated by Mom and Pop. Or just Pop. The first set of irons I ever bought myself was when I was around 35 in the early '80's at a local driving range run by an old Italian Pop with assistance from his two sons. All three of them were PGA members and the boys taught at the range. I'd been going there for almost a year and finally had the nerve to ask how much they wanted for the Maxfli Australian blade irons new in their box sitting on the shelf behind the counter. They must have been sitting there for a couple of years and I scored them for around $300. Three iron through wedge with Dynamic stiff shafts and Neumann leather grips. Pure heaven.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:05 pm

OK, a driving range rather than a golf course--but they were PGA members. All authorized dealers of pro line gear were PGA members. I liked buying from a qualified club pro, but woods were only forty bucks each, irons twenty-five, and the manufactures were empowered by the old fair trade laws to prohibit discounting of all current models.

Now golf clubs have the dignity of dime store products, presuming you remember dime stores. I liked the soda fountains where hot dogs and milk shakes were like twenty cents, but I wouldn't have bought golf clubs there.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:03 am