The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum


    TIME TO GET BACK ON GR!!!

    Share
    avatar
    Lorenzzo

    Posts : 691
    Join date : 2012-12-05
    Location : Park City, UT

    TIME TO GET BACK ON GR!!!

    Post  Lorenzzo on Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:24 pm

    We witnessed collapse now let's witness rebirth. We came here as refugees. Let's not be niggardly about this. The spam is gone, Spank's lonely and there'll be a new crop of newbs in the spring.

    Now that Famous Davis has died and taken his new clubs and his 76-s with him, we should venture back before the rest of us die off.
    avatar
    Kiwigolfer

    Posts : 477
    Join date : 2012-12-05
    Location : A land downunder

    Re: TIME TO GET BACK ON GR!!!

    Post  Kiwigolfer on Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:48 pm

    I think it's worth a shot. This place has been great and we are all grateful to FD for creating this forum. But it's not growing. It's shrinking. As more members drop off there are no noobs to replace them. At least GR has a chance of bringing in newbies the way most of us discovered it. Via the review section. Not sure the spam is truly cleaned up but it is worth a shot. Who knows. Maybe a few old members like The Purist that never migrated over here might return too.

    It's worth a try.
    avatar
    Mongrel

    Posts : 1766
    Join date : 2012-12-04
    Location : The Oort Cloud

    Re: TIME TO GET BACK ON GR!!!

    Post  Mongrel on Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:25 am

    OK, I just went back there. However, I would have to argue that this place has been much more active than the Old Place since the December 2012 start-up. By maybe over 6,000 to 50 or something like that. I think that Golf is actually in a severe contraction phase that started several years ago. The probably causes are the semi-global recession exacerbated by the Obama presidency and the invasive pathogens in the U.S. Congress. And the sunspot cycle may be most to blame. In fact, Golf may be dead but it just doesn't know it yet.
    avatar
    jmtbkr

    Posts : 359
    Join date : 2012-12-05
    Location : LawnGuylund/Palm Beach Gardens

    Re: TIME TO GET BACK ON GR!!!

    Post  jmtbkr on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:27 pm

    Ohhhhhh...............so Tiger WAS the walrus, afterall:cyclops: 
    avatar
    Horseballs

    Posts : 752
    Join date : 2012-12-05
    Location : Living the dream at the SPCC

    Re: TIME TO GET BACK ON GR!!!

    Post  Horseballs on Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:43 pm

    I promise to go back if Zo plays a full round of golf.
    avatar
    Lorenzzo

    Posts : 691
    Join date : 2012-12-05
    Location : Park City, UT

    Re: TIME TO GET BACK ON GR!!!

    Post  Lorenzzo on Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:47 am

    Horseballs wrote:I promise to go back if Zo plays a full round of golf.
    It's been almost two years since I've played. I am starting to get the hankering. The courses sure are pretty here with fall color.
    avatar
    Kiwigolfer

    Posts : 477
    Join date : 2012-12-05
    Location : A land downunder

    Re: TIME TO GET BACK ON GR!!!

    Post  Kiwigolfer on Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:18 am

    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:I promise to go back if Zo plays a full round of golf.
    It's been almost two years since I've played.  I am starting to get the hankering.  The courses sure are pretty here with fall color.
    What caused you to drift away from it Zo?

    A new obsession with health and fitness, chasing hot women, business?

    My interest has waned a little lately. I've been busy, other interests, minor injury niggles. However it's spring time now and I'm getting enthused again. Plus daylight saving is just around the corner so the opportunity to get out and play/practice more in the evenings is fun. However I'm definitely becoming more of a fair weather golfer these days. Today is Saturday and previously nothing could have kept me off the course. But it was pissing down with rain so I opted to stay indoors. That would have been unthinkable a couple of years ago unless the course was closed.
    avatar
    Lorenzzo

    Posts : 691
    Join date : 2012-12-05
    Location : Park City, UT

    Re: TIME TO GET BACK ON GR!!!

    Post  Lorenzzo on Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:04 am

    Kiwigolfer wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:I promise to go back if Zo plays a full round of golf.
    It's been almost two years since I've played.  I am starting to get the hankering.  The courses sure are pretty here with fall color.
    What caused you to drift away from it Zo?

    A new obsession with health and fitness, chasing hot women, business?

    My interest has waned a little lately. I've been busy, other interests, minor injury niggles. However it's spring time now and I'm getting enthused again. Plus daylight saving is just around the corner so the opportunity to get out and play/practice more in the evenings is fun. However I'm definitely becoming more of a fair weather golfer these days. Today is Saturday and previously nothing could have kept me off the course. But it was pissing down with rain so I opted to stay indoors. That would have been unthinkable a couple of years ago unless the course was closed.
    I like golf but have too many interests to do justice to all of them.  Golf for me was too time consuming.  To play near my best I needed to hit balls several times a week and play at least twice.  That for me was 12-14 hours per week or more. Also, my son plays tournaments and in college.  He doesn't have the chance to play with me very often any more and when he does he'd rather do something else.

    Conditioning and carousing are my top priorities then skiing, biking, fishing and hiking.  I also have to work a little.

    If you've lost the fire, perhaps you should spend time on other things until you regain it.
    avatar
    trombettista_vecchio

    Posts : 285
    Join date : 2012-12-15

    Re: TIME TO GET BACK ON GR!!!

    Post  trombettista_vecchio on Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:11 am

    It really was a great game.
    I don't know how one winter managed to wipe out a fifty-plus year obsession.
    Suddenly, it was gone.

    In the long run, I think much of it was physical.
    This summer, I felt a hell of a lot more than one year older from last summer.
    Not in attitude, though. Physically, in aches and pains.

    I can't see myself back on GR.
    I know that much.
    I'll peek in over here until one day I find the lights out and everybody gone.

    Sponsored content

    Re: TIME TO GET BACK ON GR!!!

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:12 pm