The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+2
Kiwigolfer
Lorenzzo
6 posters

TIME TO GET BACK ON GR!!!

Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

TIME TO GET BACK ON GR!!! Empty TIME TO GET BACK ON GR!!!

Post  Lorenzzo Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:24 pm

We witnessed collapse now let's witness rebirth. We came here as refugees. Let's not be niggardly about this. The spam is gone, Spank's lonely and there'll be a new crop of newbs in the spring.

Now that Famous Davis has died and taken his new clubs and his 76-s with him, we should venture back before the rest of us die off.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

TIME TO GET BACK ON GR!!! Empty Re: TIME TO GET BACK ON GR!!!

Post  Kiwigolfer Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:48 pm

I think it's worth a shot. This place has been great and we are all grateful to FD for creating this forum. But it's not growing. It's shrinking. As more members drop off there are no noobs to replace them. At least GR has a chance of bringing in newbies the way most of us discovered it. Via the review section. Not sure the spam is truly cleaned up but it is worth a shot. Who knows. Maybe a few old members like The Purist that never migrated over here might return too.

It's worth a try.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:25 am

OK, I just went back there. However, I would have to argue that this place has been much more active than the Old Place since the December 2012 start-up. By maybe over 6,000 to 50 or something like that. I think that Golf is actually in a severe contraction phase that started several years ago. The probably causes are the semi-global recession exacerbated by the Obama presidency and the invasive pathogens in the U.S. Congress. And the sunspot cycle may be most to blame. In fact, Golf may be dead but it just doesn't know it yet.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:27 pm

Ohhhhhh...............so Tiger WAS the walrus, afterall:cyclops: 
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:43 pm

I promise to go back if Zo plays a full round of golf.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:47 am

Horseballs wrote:I promise to go back if Zo plays a full round of golf.
    It's been almost two years since I've played. I am starting to get the hankering. The courses sure are pretty here with fall color.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:18 am

Lorenzzo wrote:
    It's been almost two years since I've played.  I am starting to get the hankering.  The courses sure are pretty here with fall color.
    What caused you to drift away from it Zo?

A new obsession with health and fitness, chasing hot women, business?

My interest has waned a little lately. I've been busy, other interests, minor injury niggles. However it's spring time now and I'm getting enthused again. Plus daylight saving is just around the corner so the opportunity to get out and play/practice more in the evenings is fun. However I'm definitely becoming more of a fair weather golfer these days. Today is Saturday and previously nothing could have kept me off the course. But it was pissing down with rain so I opted to stay indoors. That would have been unthinkable a couple of years ago unless the course was closed.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:04 am

Kiwigolfer wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    It's been almost two years since I've played.  I am starting to get the hankering.  The courses sure are pretty here with fall color.
    What caused you to drift away from it Zo?

A new obsession with health and fitness, chasing hot women, business?

My interest has waned a little lately. I've been busy, other interests, minor injury niggles. However it's spring time now and I'm getting enthused again. Plus daylight saving is just around the corner so the opportunity to get out and play/practice more in the evenings is fun. However I'm definitely becoming more of a fair weather golfer these days. Today is Saturday and previously nothing could have kept me off the course. But it was pissing down with rain so I opted to stay indoors. That would have been unthinkable a couple of years ago unless the course was closed.
    I like golf but have too many interests to do justice to all of them.  Golf for me was too time consuming.  To play near my best I needed to hit balls several times a week and play at least twice.  That for me was 12-14 hours per week or more. Also, my son plays tournaments and in college.  He doesn't have the chance to play with me very often any more and when he does he'd rather do something else.

Conditioning and carousing are my top priorities then skiing, biking, fishing and hiking.  I also have to work a little.

If you've lost the fire, perhaps you should spend time on other things until you regain it.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:11 am

It really was a great game.
    I don't know how one winter managed to wipe out a fifty-plus year obsession.
    Suddenly, it was gone.

In the long run, I think much of it was physical.
    This summer, I felt a hell of a lot more than one year older from last summer.
    Not in attitude, though. Physically, in aches and pains.

I can't see myself back on GR.
    I know that much.
    I'll peek in over here until one day I find the lights out and everybody gone.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:17 pm