The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

3 posters

Taylormade R1 Driver

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Taylormade R1 Driver Empty Taylormade R1 Driver

Post  FamousDavis Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:58 pm

My regular golfing buddy got fitted for this driver last week and had his second round with it today. I missed the first round but heard all about it from another regular in our foursome. So, needless to say I was interested to see the results. After watching him hit it for 18 holes I'm convinced he's hitting it a little farther than with his previous driver, a Taylormade Supermax 9.5 with aldila Stiff. He's hitting the R1 with a better trajectory and more accuracy to boot.

He just happened to be in the store when the Taylormade rep was there with his fitting setup. The guy has a bunch of shafts and metal suitcases with foam contoured around each head, kind of like one of those gun cases you see in movies. My buddy spent about 30 minutes with the guy trying out various shafts and loft and angle settings. He then purchased a new club in plastic with the appropriate shaft, brought it back to the guy and watched him match all the settings that he had on the demo club that was best matched for him. He ended up with some kind of Aldila RIP 55 Regular shaft with the loft setting at 12*. When I held it in my hands it sure didn't appear to be 12 degrees in loft (to me it looked more like 10 degrees). But, whatever, he was hitting it noticeably better.

It's a nice looking driver with that pleasing, vintage Taylormade sound. Previously, he had put a deposit down on the new Nike driver and I think he made a good choice but canceling that and going with the Taylormade. At address, I think it's a tad better looking than the R11s.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Taylormade R1 Driver Empty Re: Taylormade R1 Driver

Post  Fluffy Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:02 am

Considering that the Rocketballz driver was the only decent driver to come out lately from Taylormade and the huge increase in distance on mishits that driver gave I would certainly hope that the R1 is even better/ for the better player
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:38 pm

FamousDavis wrote: He ended up with some kind of Aldila RIP 55 Regular shaft with the loft setting at 12*. When I held it in my hands it sure didn't appear to be 12 degrees in loft (to me it looked more like 10 degrees). But, whatever, he was hitting it noticeably better.

My old Cally GBB II 12* driver (360 cc?) does not look like 12* head. In reality, it's projectory is more like 10.5*... I have white paints (spray cans for car) with I plan to paint it WHITE and bring it back alive Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 4:16 pm