The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+5
Horseballs
FamousDavis
Mongrel
FreakOfNature
Fluffy
9 posters

Finally shot a 72....on 18.

Fluffy
    Fluffy

Finally shot a 72....on 18. Empty Finally shot a 72....on 18.

Post  Fluffy Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:01 am

Played this weekend. Played Saterday at my new course which I havent even played 10 rounds on yet. Shot a 81 but was very unlucky on 2 shots and lost 4 shots for Out of bounce due to a very strong right hand grip.

Started making my notes on the green again and basically completed like 5% of my 18X9X8=1296 readings.

Then came Sunday, The pin positions were left as is for the Saterday competition.The weather was very hot,the hottest day in the last 9months, I drove most holes with my 1-iron, The course was playing about 25% from the back tees, I shot a struggeling first nine of 39 after which I decided "this day is too hot I have no chance of getting a good score".

My fater walked with me and motivated me to still play for a good score. I started my 2nd 9holes par,par,par,birdie,birdie,par,par,par,???. The last 4 holes I needed 1 birdie to get the score level and par on these holes where difficult enough with the Saterday's pin positions.

On the last hole a uphil 357m par 4 I decided all or nothing and smacked my 5 degree krank about 10meters short of the green... I was sure to make a birdie,but when I chipped to an open flag my ball just decided to have more then average spin and came up about 7meters short. My hope was shattered with that ball stopping so quickly. The day beforehand I made notes on the putts from around 3meters to the cup,but these where 45degrees to the left and right, I surely didnt have this on recorded. The putt looked about 1 foot left to right due to a ridge on the left hand side of the cup. I opened my notes and it said from the left angle the ball would come 0.5balls left to right,and from the right angle 1ball right to left.... This looked EXACTLY the opposite. BUT i trusted my notes and aimed 1 ball to the right((-0.5+1)*2=1ball right to left) compensating for the extra distance as well.
    I had no choice to trust the read. my father was going on the whole time that i will make the putt i will make the putt,but he didnt know that even tour pro's have a 5% chance of making these.

I am a very aggressive putter and like my putts to go past the hole. On my last putt I rolled the ball smooth about 2 balls to the right(its a 7meter putt,its difficult to keep it on line at that distance)anyway. The ball didnt have enough speed, It was struggeling towards the hole, I saw the break was indeed right to left but there was no speed.......About 2 feet from the hole the ball was falling towards the hole... The ball went on the lip sat for about 2 seconds and then fell in. IT WAS THE MOST PERFECT ENDING for a a score I have ben wanting to play since I have started playing again 15 months ago.

In this round of 72 I had the following stats(quickly going through each hole):
    Total distance +- 6300m
    GiR= 8/18
    greens missed but on fringe =3
    Drives in fairway=7/14
    Drives hit with driver=5/14
    Drives hit with 1iron=9/14
    Par3 scores=-1
    Par4 scores=+1
    Par5 scores=even
    3putts=3
    total putts=30
    up and downs=7
    1 putts=9

Played complete round with a Titleist proV1, Mizuno mp33s.1 Iron mizuno Tour Style MB
    FreakOfNature
    FreakOfNature

Finally shot a 72....on 18. Empty Re: Finally shot a 72....on 18.

Post  FreakOfNature Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:07 am

Fluffy wrote:Played this weekend. Played Saterday at my new course which I havent even played 10 rounds on yet. Shot a 81 but was very unlucky on 2 shots and lost 4 shots for Out of bounce due to a very strong right hand grip.

Started making my notes on the green again and basically completed like 5% of my 18X9X8=1296 readings.

Then came Sunday, The pin positions were left as is for the Saterday competition.The weather was very hot,the hottest day in the last 9months, I drove most holes with my 1-iron, The course was playing about 25% from the back tees, I shot a struggeling first nine of 39 after which I decided "this day is too hot I have no chance of getting a good score".

My fater walked with me and motivated me to still play for a good score. I started my 2nd 9holes par,par,par,birdie,birdie,par,par,par,???. The last 4 holes I needed 1 birdie to get the score level and par on these holes where difficult enough with the Saterday's pin positions.

On the last hole a uphil 357m par 4 I decided all or nothing and smacked my 5 degree krank about 10meters short of the green... I was sure to make a birdie,but when I chipped to an open flag my ball just decided to have more then average spin and came up about 7meters short. My hope was shattered with that ball stopping so quickly. The day beforehand I made notes on the putts from around 3meters to the cup,but these where 45degrees to the left and right, I surely didnt have this on recorded. The putt looked about 1 foot left to right due to a ridge on the left hand side of the cup. I opened my notes and it said from the left angle the ball would come 0.5balls left to right,and from the right angle 1ball right to left.... This looked EXACTLY the opposite. BUT i trusted my notes and aimed 1 ball to the right((-0.5+1)*2=1ball right to left) compensating for the extra distance as well.
    I had no choice to trust the read. my father was going on the whole time that i will make the putt i will make the putt,but he didnt know that even tour pro's have a 5% chance of making these.

I am a very aggressive putter and like my putts to go past the hole. On my last putt I rolled the ball smooth about 2 balls to the right(its a 7meter putt,its difficult to keep it on line at that distance)anyway. The ball didnt have enough speed, It was struggeling towards the hole, I saw the break was indeed right to left but there was no speed.......About 2 feet from the hole the ball was falling towards the hole... The ball went on the lip sat for about 2 seconds and then fell in. IT WAS THE MOST PERFECT ENDING for a a score I have ben wanting to play since I have started playing again 15 months ago.

Total distance +- 6300m
    GiR= 8/18
    Drives in fairway=7/14
    Par3 scores=-1
    Par4 scores=+1
    Par5 scores=even
    3putts=3
    total putts=30
    up and downs=7
    1 putts=9

Played complete round with a Titleist proV1, Mizuno mp33s.1 Iron mizuno Tour Style MB

What a chopper.

Only hits drives upwards of 340M (shortknocker), misses fairways when teeing off with IRONS, has to count fringes in regulation just to feel good about his ball-striking, and not even under par on the par 5's. 30 putts for 18 holes, and that's with 9 one putts! Besides, what kind of hacker 3 putts 3 times in a round? Then there's that horrendous even par round of 72 - on a course not even long enough to be in the LPGA rota. What a jabroni.

Your man card has been officially revoked.

J/K Fluffy. Congrats on a great round of golf. I bet you'll have dreams of what could have been over those 3 putts. Next time. There's always next time...
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:34 am

FreakOfNature wrote:
    Fluffy wrote:Played this weekend. Played Saterday at my new course which I havent even played 10 rounds on yet. Shot a 81 but was very unlucky on 2 shots and lost 4 shots for Out of bounce due to a very strong right hand grip.

Total distance +- 6300m
    GiR= 8/18
    Drives in fairway=7/14
    Par3 scores=-1
    Par4 scores=+1
    Par5 scores=even
    3putts=3
    total putts=30
    up and downs=7
    1 putts=9

What a chopper.

Only hits drives upwards of 340M (shortknocker), misses fairways when teeing off with IRONS, has to count fringes in regulation just to feel good about his ball-striking, and not even under par on the par 5's. 30 putts for 18 holes, and that's with 9 one putts! Besides, what kind of hacker 3 putts 3 times in a round? Then there's that horrendous even par round of 72 - on a course not even long enough to be in the LPGA rota. What a jabroni.

Your man card has been officially revoked.

J/K Fluffy. Congrats on a great round of golf. I bet you'll have dreams of what could have been over those 3 putts. Next time. There's always next time...

I appreciate the hidden text:) it did felt like a hacking round. The freakin up and downs saved my round,as well as a few long putts.Putt the information on the table so everyone can see what the round was like.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:35 am

PS

Hitting my 1-iron a consistent 230m and a 250m one now and then off the tee going at it. STILL ALOT THAT CAN GO WRONG.... Its like my 8th 9th round on the course the 3 putts are due to the pace of some of the greens where they wont stop going...
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:35 am

Fluffy wrote:PS

Hitting my 1-iron a consistent 230m and a 250m one now and then off the tee going at it. STILL ALOT THAT CAN GO WRONG.... Its like my 8th 9th round on the course the 3 putts are due to the pace of some of the greens where they wont stop going...

Congrats on that great round. Soon you will be in the 60's. Twenty five years ago my main club off the two and three shotters was a Ping Eye 2 1 iron with the factory steel shaft that I could hit reliably 230-250. Now I'm real happy with that distance with driver. Enjoy it whilst you can. Oh, and my 230-250 was in yards, not meters. Damn you're long boy.

Last edited by Mostly German on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forget to mention)
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:49 am

Congratulations! 72 is a great score and you should be proud of the fact that you played a smart game with strategy and tactics involved. Don't listed to guys like FON who carry around cracked golf balls in egg crates, claiming they busted them with a driver. Sounds like your putting is coming along nicely and everything in the game is sharpening up.

The next step, of course, is to start playing on something other than executive courses.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:14 pm

FamousDavis wrote:Congratulations! 72 is a great score and you should be proud of the fact that you played a smart game with strategy and tactics involved. Don't listed to guys like FON who carry around cracked golf balls in egg crates, claiming they busted them with a driver. Sounds like your putting is coming along nicely and everything in the game is sharpening up.

The next step, of course, is to start playing on something other than executive courses.
    6300m is close to 7000 yards. Pay attention next time. It's not fun for any of us to be constantly correcting you.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:34 pm

Very very nice round.
    BMW Driver

Post  BMW Driver Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:04 pm

The club I belong to is more difficult than most so breaking 72 is pretty hard to come by. Most people exaggerate scores and don't count ever stroke. If people played by the rules the average score would be 5 strokes higher.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:13 pm

BMW Driver wrote:The club I belong to is more difficult than most so breaking 72 is pretty hard to come by. Most people exaggerate scores and don't count ever stroke. If people played by the rules the average score would be 5 strokes higher.

Lot of truth there. Before this year I played infrequently and had an 11 USGA index. After this past season with my club group where every stroke is counted and all penalties assessed per USGA rules, I ended up with a 17 index. The good thing about this for me is that I know where those extra strokes come from--95% from 75 yards and in, and am working on tightening up from that range.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:21 am

FamousDavis wrote:Congratulations! 72 is a great score and you should be proud of the fact that you played a smart game with strategy and tactics involved. Don't listed to guys like FON who carry around cracked golf balls in egg crates, claiming they busted them with a driver. Sounds like your putting is coming along nicely and everything in the game is sharpening up.

My only tactic was not to get beaten by the sun, Found a new trick playing in extreme heat. Take a small towel make it wet and put it around your neck under your collar, Its cool and doesnt put one off. I was actualy to lazy to take my driver out on other holes because of the heat.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:28 am

Mostly German wrote:
    Fluffy wrote:PS

Congrats on that great round. Soon you will be in the 60's. Twenty five years ago my main club off the two and three shotters was a Ping Eye 2 1 iron with the factory steel shaft that I could hit reliably 230-250. Now I'm real happy with that distance with driver. Enjoy it whilst you can. Oh, and my 230-250 was in yards, not meters. Damn you're long boy.

Was speaking to a guy at a golf shop Monday and I need to buy new clubs, as the guy talks the whole time he is just commenting on the shafts:

" i wouldnt go more then a s300,that's real tight"
    " 6.5 rifle's are tough to get it in the air"
    "x100's is the max you want to go"

Was considering c-taper x130g, but will rather go the x100 route.

+ I would give up some of my distance any day for more consistency, I find slowing everything down is LESS consistent.
    + I dont think I will reach 60.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:47 am

Mostly German wrote:
    BMW Driver wrote:The club I belong to is more difficult than most so breaking 72 is pretty hard to come by. Most people exaggerate scores and don't count ever stroke. If people played by the rules the average score would be 5 strokes higher.

Lot of truth there. Before this year I played infrequently and had an 11 USGA index. After this past season with my club group where every stroke is counted and all penalties assessed per USGA rules, I ended up with a 17 index. The good thing about this for me is that I know where those extra strokes come from--95% from 75 yards and in, and am working on tightening up from that range.

I agree with you here, I see people doing this every time I go to the golf course. Even in my round of 72 my father was telling me to take this putt or throw down another ball. I must declare I didnt take one putt,nor threw down one extra ball, I am a very firm believer since starting 15 months ago of playing honest. for me an 86 is just as bad as an 77.

the only thing that screws with my score every round is that I am very VERY UNLUCKY.

I have had shots going further directly into a headwind.
    I have had shots going not even my average distance with a tail wind.
    I have had shots with a driver 330meters straight down the fairway only to be lying directly behind a small bridge just just in the hazard.
    I have had flyers FROM THE FAIRWAY.
    I have even had to much backspin on shots that I have hit thin!
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:32 am

Fluffy wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:

I agree with you here, I see people doing this every time I go to the golf course. Even in my round of 72 my father was telling me to take this putt or throw down another ball. I must declare I didnt take one putt,nor threw down one extra ball, I am a very firm believer since starting 15 months ago of playing honest. for me an 86 is just as bad as an 77.

the only thing that screws with my score every round is that I am very VERY UNLUCKY.

I have had shots with a driver 330meters straight down the fairway only to be lying directly behind a small bridge just just in the hazard.
    At the risk of you going all Hulk on us, I have to say that you're never going to improve significantly as long as chalk up your bad shots/decisions as bad luck.
    Learn to play the wind.
    Get better with course management and/or distance control.
    Make consistent impact.
    Don't thin your shots.
    An underachiever on the pro tour is quite well known for his "woe is me" attitude. He is also known as whining, cup-spitting, swarthy, brat Spaniard. You don't want to get that reputation.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:33 am

Horseballs wrote:
    At the risk of you going all Hulk on us, I have to say that you're never going to improve significantly as long as chalk up your bad shots/decisions as bad luck.
    Learn to play the wind.
    Make consistent impact.
    Don't thin your shots.
    An underachiever on the pro tour is quite well known for his "woe is me" attitude. He is also known as whining, cup-spitting, swarthy, brat Spaniard. You don't want to get that reputation.

He's Afrikaans so get used to it. Their rugby teams are always either unlucky or hard done by the officials and are always the superior team on the park in spite of what the scoreboard says.
    edgey
    edgey

Post  edgey Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:30 pm

I do not reply to hackers who cannot shoot under par.

Mods please delete this post ASAP as it appears I have replied to a hacker
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:49 am

Kiwigolfer wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Learn to play the wind.
    Make consistent impact.
    Don't thin your shots.

He's Afrikaans so get used to it. Their rugby teams are always either unlucky or hard done by the officials and are always the superior team on the park in spite of what the scoreboard says.

No no no no no.... Our Rugby team is retarded.Sorry for saying it but you should see the news here everyday on the coaching of our team and the players aparently being chosed wrong....We didnt lose the world cup semis because of the referee, we lost it because the boys didnt stick with their gameplan... Basically they were planning on a kicking game.. they kicked the ball for 60minutes in that match. The last 20 minutes they decided to play as we call it "hardloop rugby" Where they only run with the ball....Why would ANYONE change a working tactic leading the score. We lost the game in the last 5 minutes with the conversion of the other team...our team shouldve done the boring thing and keep the ball in their territory by kicking as they did 60minutes at the start. retards if you ask me... I rather watch Samoa-n rugby.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:52 am

Horseballs wrote:
    Fluffy wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:

Learn to play the wind.
    Make consistent impact.
    Don't thin your shots.

Youre not catching my drift here... I am just giving some examples that have impossible outcomes...but that has happened to me before..

let me test your knowledge as you so dearly give it to me..
    May I ask around what yardages do you hit a good 7iron and a bad 7iron...?
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:58 am

Horseballs wrote:An underachiever on the pro tour is quite well known for his "woe is me" attitude. He is also known as whining, cup-spitting, swarthy, brat Spaniard. You don't want to get that reputation.

For your entertainment:
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:39 am

Fluffy wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Fluffy wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:

Learn to play the wind.
    Make consistent impact.
    Don't thin your shots.

Youre not catching my drift here... I am just giving some examples that have impossible outcomes...but that has happened to me before..

let me test your knowledge as you so dearly give it to me..
    May I ask around what yardages do you hit a good 7iron and a bad 7iron...?
    170 in the air is a stock 7. I don't know how to define a bad 7 iron. I could chunk it 130, smother hook it 40 yards left, top it 50 yards, or shank it. If I've got 160 - 175 to the pin, I'm hitting 7.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:07 pm

Fluffy wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:An underachiever on the pro tour is quite well known for his "woe is me" attitude. He is also known as whining, cup-spitting, swarthy, brat Spaniard. You don't want to get that reputation.

For your entertainment:

Thank you for the entertainment. I was entertained. However, I disagreed with the rankings on the vid and think that Sven Struver's putter snap was by far the best tantrum. I mean if you're going to punish a club for its mis-behaviour, punish that motherf*cker all the way. Like golf clubs don't have lungs or gills but they don't die after being thrown into a pond, lake, stream, river, bay, inlet, cove or ocean. Someone can always go into the water to retrieve them.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:15 pm

Mostly German wrote:
    Fluffy wrote:

For your entertainment:

Thank you for the entertainment. I was entertained. However, I disagreed with the rankings on the vid and think that Sven Struver's putter snap was by far the best tantrum. I mean if you're going to punish a club for its mis-behaviour, punish that motherf*cker all the way. Like golf clubs don't have lungs or gills but they don't die after being thrown into a pond, lake, stream, river, bay, inlet, cove or ocean. Someone can always go into the water to retrieve them.

My favourite was the six putt. Or put another way. The four putt from 1 foot. lol!
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:28 pm

Fluffy wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:

No no no no no.... Our Rugby team is retarded.Sorry for saying it but you should see the news here everyday on the coaching of our team and the players aparently being chosed wrong....We didnt lose the world cup semis because of the referee, we lost it because the boys didnt stick with their gameplan... Basically they were planning on a kicking game.. they kicked the ball for 60minutes in that match. The last 20 minutes they decided to play as we call it "hardloop rugby" Where they only run with the ball....Why would ANYONE change a working tactic leading the score. We lost the game in the last 5 minutes with the conversion of the other team...our team shouldve done the boring thing and keep the ball in their territory by kicking as they did 60minutes at the start. retards if you ask me... I rather watch Samoa-n rugby.

Do you know the referee from that game had to retire from refereeing? He was receiving death threats from South Africa and it was considered too dangerous for him to travel to the Republic. This made his career as an International referee simply untenable. I hope you and your fellow sore loser fans feel proud of yourselves for destroying his career and removing his means of making a livelihood.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:39 am

Horseballs wrote:If I've got 160 - 175 to the pin, I'm hitting 7.

There it is.... Okay. so you plan on hitting your 7 iron around 15y difference...

Heres mine 170yard (155m) Iron hard and high,fade exactly 3-4meters past pin,spin back 3-4meters.

One should never say more or less to a shot on the green. You have to commit to each shot to the most specific detail....15yards on my course could either be short or over....Smile
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:27 am

Fluffy wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:If I've got 160 - 175 to the pin, I'm hitting 7.

There it is.... Okay. so you plan on hitting your 7 iron around 15y difference...

Heres mine 170yard (155m) Iron hard and high,fade exactly 3-4meters past pin,spin back 3-4meters.

One should never say more or less to a shot on the green. You have to commit to each shot to the most specific detail....15yards on my course could either be short or over....Smile
    Well, it's not that simple. I won't hit a full 7 if 170 is off the green. The 160 - 175 is if the pin is middle. 160 to the a back pin is different than 160 to a front pin. To be honest, I'm probably not shooting at the pin with a 7 iron.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 9:37 pm