The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

2 posters

when Shaft Label Silent on Flex

californiataxes

when Shaft Label Silent on Flex Empty when Shaft Label Silent on Flex

Post  californiataxes Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:38 pm

On Ebay, I'm looking at a set of Toney Penna irons from around '76-80. The shaft labels say Dynamic, but there's no flex designation.  Seller says the 5-iron is 38.5. Any idea what the flex is likely to be when the labels don't state? Thanks for your help.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

when Shaft Label Silent on Flex Empty Re: when Shaft Label Silent on Flex

Post  Mongrel Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:23 pm

"Dynamic" typically means True Temper. If the clubs were younger and the shafts were Dynamic Golds or the like you could probably find the step patterns on the TT website. Assuming those irons have tapered tip shafts, the first step in the shortest shaft, typically the SW/PW, would start somewhere around 8.5" from its tip for stiff and maybe 9.5" for regular.

Another method would be to take them to a clubmaker who has a frequency measuring machine and get him to measure the butt frequencies in cycles per minute. 300 cpm or so is about regular with 310-315 for the stiffs.

The cheapest and easiest method would be to compare them sonically against other irons with known flexes by tapping the butts on a solid surface like the store's floor which should be poured concrete with low pile commercial grade carpet over it. So the Pena PW in question will sound a tone when its butt is tapped against the floor. Take another PW of about the same length and tap its butt. When the two tones coincide, you have a winner. This is referred to as Mongrel's Tubular Flex Comparison Test. Sometimes when I am cutting steel iron shafts for a set of irons, I will cut them so that they form a descending musical scale from shortest to longest.

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:55 am