The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+3
Mongrel
Horseballs
Homeslice
7 posters

Iron shaft weight

Homeslice
    Homeslice

Iron shaft weight Empty Iron shaft weight

Post  Homeslice Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:02 pm

What's up, Ninjas?!
    Ya boy Homie here, looking for some golf knowledge that only the GR refugee camp can deliver.
    I'm looking to upgrade my trusty MX-200s to a more compact head design. I bought a set of AP2 712s (GR Titleist ban has been lifted due to the fact that there is no GR.)
    Anyhow, I need to reshaft them. I like the R300s that I have in my MXs (they are a proprietary shaft that True Temper makes for Mizzy) they weigh 113g. Standard DG R300 weigh 127g and the Dynalite Gold SLs weigh 102g.....so which should I get?
    DG R300 at 127g or DyanliteGold SLs at 102g?
    What are the advantages and disadvantages of a lighter shaft?
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Iron shaft weight Empty Re: Iron shaft weight

Post  Horseballs Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:21 pm

You are indeed lucky there is no more GR, because NaH would light you up. First of all, men's shafts are either S300, S400, or X100. The R300's are just graphite with metallic paint. My wife thought the R300's were a bit whippy and she doesn't even golf.
    Second of all, Dynalite certainly sounds gay.

So, to answer your question, go with Project X 6.0 or 6.5. None of that "flighted" sh!t either. If you must go the True Temper route and don't have the balls to get the X100's, get S300's but put X100 labels on them.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:24 pm

The shafts in your MX200's are likely True Temper Dynalite XP's which are sort of a modified version of the old Dynalite Golds with similar weights and softer tips. They were proprietary to Mizuno but have been available at retail for several years. So you could have your AP2's reshafted with them. Or if you still have the MX200's, have them pulled and put into the AP2 heads.

Last spring I bought a used set of Mizuno MX25's with those XP shafts in S300 and ended up hating them. The flex was OK but the damn tips were too soft. I pulled those and put in a set of Dynalite Gold SL's in S300 flex soft-stepped once and the feeling and flight was better. At the end of last year, I swapped the Dynalite Gold SL's for Dynamic Gold SL R300's to try to get the flight down. My favorites hands-down are the Dynamic Gold R300's. I recently bought a used set of Titleist 775CB's that came with the proprietary Nippon NS Pro 105 shafts in stiff. I wanted to like them but am now in the process of putting the Dynamic Gold SL R300's in them. The weight savings will be in the 10-12 gram per shaft range. I did the PW first and took it out Sunday to hit it off field turf and the difference is night and day. I'm getting up in years and need the lightest weight steel shaft for speed but low enough torque for control and a somewhat higher kick-point for trajectory control.

I put some Aldila graphite shafts in my MX25's but they are not as consistent as the Dynamic Gold SL's and gave no more distance.

A couple of years ago I had a short shaft fitting session in a local golf shop. They guy had 6 iron fitting heads that were a Mizuno MX200 and a Titleist AP2--the original AP2. Of all the shafts tested, my favorite for feel, distance and direction, was the AP2 head with the Dynamic Gold SL R300.
    Homeslice
    Homeslice

Post  Homeslice Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:16 pm

Horseballs wrote:You are indeed lucky there is no more GR, because NaH would light you up.  First of all, men's shafts are either S300, S400, or X100.  The R300's are just graphite with metallic paint.  My wife thought the R300's were a bit whippy and she doesn't even golf.  
    Second of all, Dynalite certainly sounds gay.  

So, to answer your question, go with Project X 6.0 or 6.5.  None of that "flighted" sh!t either.  If you must go the True Temper route and don't have the balls to get the X100's, get S300's but put X100 labels on them.  
    Trust me, I considered the GR ramifications when I posted, but you see, you choppers with spastic homemade swings might need the compensation from swinging rebar, but a smooth swing like mine requires something with some touch. OK, fuck it, I got nothin. I did pull some decent tail back in the day and my wife is hot, so I got that going for me. Plus I think NaH dabbled in R flex at some point. Kiwi will remember. My set is getting pretty butch in the wood department. I put the 9.5° Launcher with a stiff shaft in the bag and I'm hitting that well...I've intellectualized enough, I almost have myself convinced.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:15 pm

NAH lost all credibility and came out of the closet with an assortment of oversize SGI shovels in his final years and was last seen wearing a pink tutu and bagging some Cleveland shovels with their lightweight proprietary shaft. So his once authoritative opinion carries no weight around here anymore.

HB has nailed it. S300 as an absolute minimum. Any golfer playing a shaft lighter than 130g should be tarred and feathered.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:01 pm

And what is wrong with project x 5.5's? Non flighted of course. Reshafted my srixon 701's with em and as of right now loving the crap out of them.

Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:12 am

jt1135 wrote:And what is wrong with project x 5.5's?   Non flighted of course.  Reshafted my srixon 701's with em and as of right now loving the crap out of them.

5.5's are borderline. I suppose I could allow them if the labels are removed or replaced with 6.0 or higher.

Thank you Kiwi for reminding me of NaH's transgressions. He is indeed a chopper whose ravings carry no weight. I believe even the most traditional of us have dabbled into the game improvement arena, if only in thought. Even a luminary such as myself was contemplating buying those Callaway Razr X forged irons. Yet a strong mind would never allow those thoughts to turn to action.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:33 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:NAH lost all credibility and came out of the closet with an assortment of oversize SGI shovels in his final years and was last seen wearing a pink tutu and bagging some Cleveland shovels with their lightweight proprietary shaft. So his once authoritative opinion carries no weight around here anymore.

HB has nailed it. S300 as an absolute minimum. Any golfer playing a shaft lighter than 130g should be tarred and feathered.

... and then there was Lyle G (?) ... he disappeared from this earth after losing his credential  disappointed 
    Homeslice
    Homeslice

Post  Homeslice Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:11 pm

Mongrel wrote:The shafts in your MX200's are likely True Temper Dynalite XP's which are sort of a modified version of the old Dynalite Golds with similar weights and softer tips. They were proprietary to Mizuno but have been available at retail for several years. So you could have your AP2's reshafted with them. Or if you still have the MX200's, have them pulled and put into the AP2 heads.

Last spring I bought a used set of Mizuno MX25's with those XP shafts in S300 and ended up hating them. The flex was OK but the damn tips were too soft. I pulled those and put in a set of Dynalite Gold SL's in S300 flex soft-stepped once and the feeling and flight was better. At the end of last year, I swapped the Dynalite Gold SL's for Dynamic Gold SL R300's to try to get the flight down. My favorites hands-down are the Dynamic Gold R300's. I recently bought a used set of Titleist 775CB's that came with the proprietary Nippon NS Pro 105 shafts in stiff. I wanted to like them but am now in the process of putting the Dynamic Gold SL R300's in them. The weight savings will be in the 10-12 gram per shaft range. I did the PW first and took it out Sunday to hit it off field turf and the difference is night and day. I'm getting up in years and need the lightest weight steel shaft for speed but low enough torque for control and a somewhat higher kick-point for trajectory control.

I put some Aldila graphite shafts in my MX25's but they are not as consistent as the Dynamic Gold SL's and gave no more distance.

A couple of years ago I had a short shaft fitting session in a local golf shop. They guy had 6 iron fitting heads that were a Mizuno MX200 and a Titleist AP2--the original AP2. Of all the shafts tested, my favorite for feel, distance and direction, was the AP2 head with the Dynamic Gold SL R300.
    Sorry to hear about your dog Mongrel. I have a mutt that looks a lot like the dog in your avatar pic. Best dog I've ever had.
    Anyhow, I'm a little confused by your post, your favorites were just plain Dynamic Gold R300, or Dynamic Gold "SL" R300?
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:50 am

I've been playing R300's this season. A huge improvement over the oem 'True Temper' shafts installed on my iron sets. They feel alot lighter and my shots have become more accurate.
    I had a set of MP68's with KBS stiff shafts and couldn't hit them at all. They felt heavy and sluggish. Got rid of them and stuck to my R300's.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:21 am

jmtbkr wrote:I've been playing R300's this season. A huge improvement over the oem 'True Temper' shafts installed on my iron sets. They feel alot lighter and my shots have become more accurate.
    I had a set of MP68's with KBS stiff shafts and couldn't hit them at all. They felt heavy and sluggish. Got rid of them and stuck to my R300's.

I am waiting for the day when 75-g steel shaft is available... even with the "lightest" steel shaft today I know I lose 10 yds per club, that's not acceptable , so I stay with 75-g graphite iron shaft for now  bounce 
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:38 am

Hmmmm....I've never played irons with graphite shafts. Gonna have to give that a try.

All my hybrids are graphite and compared to the iron they are equivilent to (degrees of loft), I hit them a ton furthur than the iron. I use a 30* hybrid - equivilent to my 6 iron. The hybrid goes 160 yds, the iron 140 yds.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:36 am

Homeslice wrote:
    Mongrel wrote:The shafts in your MX200's are likely True Temper Dynalite XP's which are sort of a modified version of the old Dynalite Golds with similar weights and softer tips. They were proprietary to Mizuno but have been available at retail for several years. So you could have your AP2's reshafted with them. Or if you still have the MX200's, have them pulled and put into the AP2 heads.

Sorry to hear about your dog Mongrel. I have a mutt that looks a lot like the dog in your avatar pic. Best dog I've ever had.
    Anyhow, I'm a little confused by your post, your favorites were just plain Dynamic Gold R300, or Dynamic Gold "SL" R300?

The Dynamic Gold SL's--Super Lights. The regular flex Dynamic Golds weigh about 127 grams each uncut and the SL's in regular flex are about 103 grams. The SL's still have the high kick point and stiffer tips but you can swing them a good bit faster while still maintaining control. I can hit them much higher than the heavier shafts if I want to and when I need to hit a low iron shot, I will just take one or more extra clubs and make a less than fulll swing.
    Homeslice
    Homeslice

Post  Homeslice Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:57 am

Well, the results are in, and out of all the shafts I hit, the s300 gave me the best results. I told the guy that is ordering/installing them that I wanted x100 labels on them, he looked at me funny and started saying,"I..uhh..don't think I..." and I just told him, "Just make it happen. Stop being such a faggot."
    I will be doing a "Women I've Tea Bagged" ('What's In The Bag' for all you numpty, wanker toss-pots.) thread soon unveiling my entire new set up in the near future. Stay tuned. Riveting, I know.
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:57 pm

Homeslice wrote:Well, the results are in, and out of all the shafts I hit, the s300 gave me the best results. I told the guy that is ordering/installing them that I wanted x100 labels on them, he looked at me funny and started saying,"I..uhh..don't think I..." and I just told him, "Just make it happen. Stop being such a faggot."
    I will be doing a "Women I've Tea Bagged" ('What's In The Bag' for all you numpty, wanker toss-pots.) thread soon unveiling my entire new set up in the near future. Stay tuned. Riveting, I know.

If they work for you more power to you, but IMHO, which is worth jack shite, my stomach is crawling from titleist irons with tt shafts.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 4:28 am