The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+6
Mongrel
Lorenzzo
FreakOfNature
jmtbkr
Kiwigolfer
FamousDavis
10 posters

Liking music you really don't like

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Liking music you really don't like Empty Liking music you really don't like

Post  FamousDavis Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:15 pm

I've always found it interesting to hear guys talk about music. It's kind of like beer talk. There are certain rules, which thank goodness I don't adhere to.

If you are part of the cool music crowd, these are the rules:

Never like a song that made it to the top 40. It's only cool to like the more esoteric songs from the same album.

You MUST like Led Zeppelin

Bon Scott was way better than Brian Johnson, despite Back in Black being the 2nd best selling album of all time. Therefore, you can own Back in Black but you must always comment that Highway to Hell was far superior.

You are not allowed to enjoy love songs

The Who is a good band

If you pick a favorite Beatles Album, it must be The White Album or another one of their later releases.

Never go into a record store and buy what appeals to you. You must stock your shelves with the right CDs in case you have guests who happen to look through them.

Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Liking music you really don't like Empty Re: Liking music you really don't like

Post  Kiwigolfer Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:49 pm

To me FD you are the one who cannot separate fact from fiction. You simply can't accept that some of us don't like the mainstream pop songs that you like. Most of my life I have tended towards non mainstream music but not for any reason other than I enjoy listening to it. For some reason I have always leaned towards heavier head banging music but on the other hand I don't really like heavy metal.

So to answer your post Alan style:

Never like a song that made it to the top 40. It's only cool to like the more esoteric songs from the same album. - Nonsense. If the bands I like have a No.1 or top ten hit I think it's great. After that I may go off that song but only because it gets thrashed and you get tired of hearing it.

You MUST like Led Zeppelin - I like Led Zeppelin but also think some of their music is terrible. Their first album was an awful, long winded bore fest.

Bon Scott was way better than Brian Johnson, despite Back in Black being the 2nd best selling album of all time. Therefore, you can own Back in Black but you must always comment that Highway to Hell was far superior. - I'm not a huge AC/DC fan but I truly believe that Bon Scott had a better voice and prefer their early classics. Not all their early stuff was good. Back in Black was good but all their songs sounded the same after that.

You are not allowed to enjoy love songs - The Clash, Train in Vain is a love song and it's one of their greatest songs IMO

The Who is a good band - Nah overrated. Well not really my cup of tea anyway.

If you pick a favorite Beatles Album, it must be The White Album or another one of their later releases. - I had all their stuff including the White album as a kid but to be honest I don't enjoy any of it anymore. If anything I still prefer their early rock n roll hits like Twist N Shout.

Never go into a record store and buy what appeals to you. You must stock your shelves with the right CDs in case you have guests who happen to look through them. - Bollocks!

BTW I am going to a vineyard concert this Saturday featuring The Church, DEVO and Simple Minds. DEVO are the main reason I am going. My favourite tunes are Mongoloid & Jocko Homo but Whip It and Beautiful World are great songs even though they probably made the Top 40.[i]
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:24 pm

It's not that I don't like mainstream pop music, I just have no knowledge or exposure to it. I have been and always will be perpetually stuck in the sike-a-delik 60's. That's all I really listen to. XM 23 and 27 (The Dead and Deep traks). I would say I listen to 50% Dead and other 60's/70's music and 50% Jazz and classical. Jazz from the 50's/60's and classical from the last century or so.

Yeah, I like Zeppelin. Still have a ticket stub for $1.50 to their first NYC show in '69.

The Who? Roger's lost his voice and Pete's deaf. Without Keith and Jon.....well....

Who the hell is Bon Scott and Brian Johnson?

I don't go to record stores anymore. I download everything from torrents.

And, yes, the White Album is the best piece of vinyl(s) ever made. Have the records, cassette, CD and mp3's on all my portable media.
    FreakOfNature
    FreakOfNature

Post  FreakOfNature Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:44 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:To me FD you are the one who cannot separate fact from fiction. You simply can't accept that some of us don't like the mainstream pop songs that you like. Most of my life I have tended towards non mainstream music but not for any reason other than I enjoy listening to it. For some reason I have always leaned towards heavier head banging music but on the other hand I don't really like heavy metal.

Never like a song that made it to the top 40. It's only cool to like the more esoteric songs from the same album. - Nonsense. If the bands I like have a No.1 or top ten hit I think it's great. After that I may go off that song but only because it gets thrashed and you get tired of hearing it.

You MUST like Led Zeppelin - I like Led Zeppelin but also think some of their music is terrible. Their first album was an awful, long winded bore fest.

Bon Scott was way better than Brian Johnson, despite Back in Black being the 2nd best selling album of all time. Therefore, you can own Back in Black but you must always comment that Highway to Hell was far superior. - I'm not a huge AC/DC fan but I truly believe that Bon Scott had a better voice and prefer their early classics. Not all their early stuff was good. Back in Black was good but all their songs sounded the same after that.

You are not allowed to enjoy love songs - The Clash, Train in Vain is a love song and it's one of their greatest songs IMO

If you pick a favorite Beatles Album, it must be The White Album or another one of their later releases. - I had all their stuff including the White album as a kid but to be honest I don't enjoy any of it anymore. If anything I still prefer their early rock n roll hits like Twist N Shout.

Never go into a record store and buy what appeals to you. You must stock your shelves with the right CDs in case you have guests who happen to look through them. - Bollocks!

BTW I am going to a vineyard concert this Saturday featuring The Church, DEVO and Simple Minds. DEVO are the main reason I am going. My favourite tunes are Mongoloid & Jocko Homo but Whip It and Beautiful World are great songs even though they probably made the Top 40.[i]

On the subject of AC/DC - I agree with the folks who prefer Bon Scott over BJ. Just a better voice in all areas. Fit better with the sound of the band.

As for the common claim of all their songs sounding the same, here's my take on that subject. I like AC/DC. I think they write great HITS. The problem is that usually on the same album, there will be half a dozen songs that are trying to sound just like those same hits. They often try so hard to replicate their success that they end up basically plagiarizing or cloning their own material. Also, BS had more variety in his vocals which could make songs stand apart better. BJ sounds the same no matter what song he's singing, just no versatility whatsoever. That's my theory on why so many of their songs sound alike.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:34 pm

I concur FON. BJ sounds like a guy with no real vocal range but he's Ok as a fill in guy able to mimick BS. But he became a permanent fill in once BS died.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:40 am

This thread got me to thinking. What if I woke up one day and had no musical taste? Fortunately this is just an irrational fear.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:28 am

If it has vocal parts, it generally ain't for me. Rare exceptions are John Lee Hooker, Captain Beefheart, and the Chambers Brothers.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:43 am

I on the other hand dont like music at all.... I would listen but never live in the moment of the song.

There is the odd exception of house/rave with that sexy women's voice singing a few carefull words.

And as a music dvd I like watching Pink's music dvds, also more the performance catching my attention more then the lyrics...

I have my reasons: and the main reason for my hatred towards most music is the fact that music does tackle your emotions and "unlocks" the memories and feelings you have locked away.... And in my case most of those emotions locked away is my unhappy/angry/unlucky memories..... Which turns me into my avatar quite litterally.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:32 am

Fluffy wrote:I on the other hand dont like music at all.... I would listen but never live in the moment of the song.

There is the odd exception of house/rave with that sexy women's voice singing a few carefull words.

And as a music dvd I like watching Pink's music dvds, also more the performance catching my attention more then the lyrics...

I have my reasons: and the main reason for my hatred towards most music is the fact that music does tackle your emotions and "unlocks" the memories and feelings you have locked away.... And in my case most of those emotions locked away is my unhappy/angry/unlucky memories..... Which turns me into my avatar quite litterally.

Music turns you into The Hulk? Interesting! All music or are there just specific tunes that do that to you. For what it's worth I think being forced to listen to FD's music collection would make me turn green also. afro
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:58 am

Fluffy wrote:I on the other hand dont like music at all.... I would listen but never live in the moment of the song.

Fluff, what if it turned out getting through your memories, emotions and feelings put you in a better place and unlocked your love of music?
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:18 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:To me FD you are the one who cannot separate fact from fiction. You simply can't accept that some of us don't like the mainstream pop songs that you like. Most of my life I have tended towards non mainstream music but not for any reason other than I enjoy listening to it. For some reason I have always leaned towards heavier head banging music but on the other hand I don't really like heavy metal.

Since an early age I've always been really into music. You have the mistaken belief that I only like the songs that make it big. In fourth grade I had most of the Beatles and Stones albums and knew all the words to every song, even though they were before my time. Still do. Next time you see me name a Beatles song and I'll sing it for you, word for word. My point is that I like many of the obscure songs off of albums but I'm not afraid to admit that I like some of the successful songs as well.

In short, I think there are many guys out there who used to crank up Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" but in public said they sucked.
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:20 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:

Fluff, what if it turned out getting through your memories, emotions and feelings put you in a better place and unlocked your love of music?

I agree. I've never meet someone who stuff's their feelings successfully. They always come out at some point. I always feel sorry for the person that gets dumped on from other's past emotional scares that haven't healed. Fluff, figure it out or some day you will explode.
    Homeslice
    Homeslice

Post  Homeslice Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:37 pm

As far as AC/DC goes. I think that the Bon Scott era had more good songs, but Back in Black was a masterpiece. Brian Johnson never sounded good after that. I think that album and subsequent tour trashed his voice.
    Some of the Bon Scott era so aren't as catchy and as radio ready as some from the Brian Johnson era. Guitar hooks don't resonate to the average radio listener as vocal hooks do. Listen to "Riff Raff" off of the Powerage album. Its guitar driven and to me it's as good as anything off B&B, but your average non-guitarig radio listener wouldn't agree.

I love Led Zeppelin.

I agree that The Who is overrated.

I don't mind top 40 stuff. I like a well written pop hook, but I like recordings that are a little rawer than most top 40 songs. Too slick of production makes for aesthetically generic listening.

Here are some examples of what I'm talkin' bout, Willis.

Foreigner-mostly bland, generic, terminally whitebread, music. ie, "I Wanna Know what love is" but then they can do a song like "Hot blooded" that's basically a pop song, but with some nasty distorted guitars, rippin' solo and a more rock style production. I prefer the latter.
    Van Halen's first few albums vs. 1984-Van Hagar. I prefer the edgier production of the earlier albums but I think they're all great.
    Production has a lot to do with it. It's the main reason Merle Haggard is awesome and most of the generic shit churned out of Nashville now all sounds alike.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:20 pm

Going to see Devo in concert tonight. I got a 'Gut Feeling' this is going to be a good show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwx_Qq56YTA

I just hope they play my all time favourite song Mongoloid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZDl_R8Zp2E

My plan is to drink heavily during The Church, pogo myself to a standstill during the Devo show and pass out from a combination of alcohol, exhaustion and boredom during (relatively) lame Simple Minds show.

Should be a good night. bounce

Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:10 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:Going to see Devo in concert tonight. I got a 'Gut Feeling' this is going to be a good show.

My plan is to drink heavily during The Church, pogo myself to a standstill during the Devo show and pass out from a combination of alcohol, exhaustion and boredom during (relatively) lame Simple Minds show.

Or Gut Feeling - I would post a link but can't - POS forum.

youtube.com/watch?v=Cwx_Qq56YTA
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:21 pm

Poe4soul wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:Going to see Devo in concert tonight. I got a 'Gut Feeling' this is going to be a good show.

Or Gut Feeling - I would post a link but can't - POS forum.

youtube.com/watch?v=Cwx_Qq56YTA

Or Girl U Want
    youtube.com/watch?v=g4-2onb62y8

But you'll end up hearing whip it! and others... I heard they also play songs off their new album. I don't know their new stuff. Do you?
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:54 pm

Homeslice wrote:As far as AC/DC goes. I think that the Bon Scott era had more good songs, but Back in Black was a masterpiece. Brian Johnson never sounded good after that. I think that album and subsequent tour trashed his voice.
    Some of the Bon Scott era so aren't as catchy and as radio ready as some from the Brian Johnson era. Guitar hooks don't resonate to the average radio listener as vocal hooks do. Listen to "Riff Raff" off of the Powerage album. Its guitar driven and to me it's as good as anything off B&B, but your average non-guitarig radio listener wouldn't agree.

I love Led Zeppelin.

I agree that The Who is overrated.

I don't mind top 40 stuff. I like a well written pop hook, but I like recordings that are a little rawer than most top 40 songs. Too slick of production makes for aesthetically generic listening.

Here are some examples of what I'm talkin' bout, Willis.

Foreigner-mostly bland, generic, terminally whitebread, music. ie, "I Wanna Know what love is" but then they can do a song like "Hot blooded" that's basically a pop song, but with some nasty distorted guitars, rippin' solo and a more rock style production. I prefer the latter.
    Van Halen's first few albums vs. 1984-Van Hagar. I prefer the edgier production of the earlier albums but I think they're all great.
    Production has a lot to do with it. It's the main reason Merle Haggard is awesome and most of the generic shit churned out of Nashville now all sounds alike.

I liked the early Who. "Live at Leeds" is a kick-ass record.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:46 am

I can't imagine seeing Devo in concert. Do they still wear flower pots on their heads? The best concerts I've seen are:

U2

Kiss

Cheap Trick

Billy Idol & The Cult

Green Day

Worst:

Def Leopard/ Europe

INXS

Bryan Adams

Huey Lewis and the News (this one was by far the worst and most boring)

Kenny Chesney (what a douche)

Homeslice
    Homeslice

Post  Homeslice Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:50 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    Billy Idol & The Cult
    The Cult rules. Man I loved that band back in the day. "Electric" is one of my favorite ab-lums. "Sonic Temple" and "Love" are badass also.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:14 pm

FamousDavis wrote:I can't imagine seeing Devo in concert. Do they still wear flower pots on their heads?

Wash your mouth out Mister Davis.

Sometimes ignorantly and insultingly referred to as a flower pot the much maligned and misunderstood energy Dome collects the Orgone energy that escapes from the crown of the human head and pushes it back into the Medula Oblongata for increased concentration and mental energy. So, years before the greens had even thought of it DEVO were already recycling. 

Years ahead of their time both musically and scientifically.

And in answer to your question they do still wear energy domes.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:26 pm

Homeslice wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    Billy Idol & The Cult
    The Cult rules. Man I loved that band back in the day. "Electric" is one of my favorite ab-lums. "Sonic Temple" and "Love" are badass also.

The Cult's early stuff is badass. Have you heard their first album Dreamtime? One of their best IMO. Google the song Moya and Southern Death Cult. The early raw version of this is great. It was never recorded on one of their studio albums but it's one of my favourite tracks.

Sonic Temple was Ok but unfortunately they turned to shite after that and I haven't really kept up with them. I think they might be on the comeback trail but Ian Astbury wasted years mimicking Jim Morrison with the surviving members of the doors.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:54 pm

[quote="Poe4soul"]
    Poe4soul wrote:

But you'll end up hearing whip it! and others... I heard they also play songs off their new album. I don't know their new stuff. Do you?

No I don't know their new stuff at all. Stopped following them nearly 30 years ago. But jeez these guys still know how to put on a great show. Last week I went to my local record store and all they had was a Greatest Hits album and a new album. I went home and dug out all my old Devo's albums that I still have on vinyl. Dusted off the old record player which is on it's last legs and cranked out all my old favourites. They opened with a new song but it didn't take them long to get into their old classics. From memory:

Peek A Boo
    Going Under
    Girl U Want
    Whip It
    Uncontrollable Urge
    Mongoloid (epic)
    Are we not men? (also epic)
    Gates of Steel
    Freedom of Choice
    Smart Patrol/Mr DNA

Honestly there were probably a couple more but I can't think of any I was hoping to hear that they didn't play. They changed outfits about 3 times during the show and came out for the Mongoloid segment in their trademark yellow suits. They wrapped up the evening with Beautiful World.

A great show! afro
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:07 pm

[quote="Kiwigolfer"]
    Poe4soul wrote:
    Poe4soul wrote:

No I don't know their new stuff at all. Stopped following them nearly 30 years ago. But jeez these guys still know how to put on a great show. Last week I went to my local record store and all they had was a Greatest Hits album and a new album. I went home and dug out all my old Devo's albums that I still have on vinyl. Dusted off the old record player which is on it's last legs and cranked out all my old favourites. They opened with a new song but it didn't take them long to get into their old classics. From memory:

Peek A Boo
    Going Under
    Girl U Want
    Whip It
    Uncontrollable Urge
    Mongoloid (epic)
    Gates of Steel
    Freedom of Choice
    Smart Patrol/Mr DNA

Honestly there were probably a couple more but I can't think of any I was hoping to hear that they didn't play. They changed outfits about 3 times during the show and came out for the Mongoloid segment in their trademark yellow suits. They wrapped up the evening with Beautiful World.

A great show! afro

I hope you enjoy the show Kiwi. You know I was just trolling you. Don't forget to wear your energy dome.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:20 pm

[quote="FamousDavis"]
    Kiwigolfer wrote:
    Poe4soul wrote:
    Poe4soul wrote:

Peek A Boo
    Going Under
    Girl U Want
    Whip It
    Uncontrollable Urge
    Mongoloid (epic)
    Gates of Steel
    Freedom of Choice
    Smart Patrol/Mr DNA

A great show! afro

I hope you enjoy the show Kiwi. You know I was just trolling you. Don't forget to wear your energy dome.

Please try and refrain from teaching Kiwi how not to be trolled.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:44 am

FamousDavis wrote:

Unfortunately I don't own an energy dome of my own but I wish I did. You could tell the fans wearing them were able to pogo in the mosh pit harder and for longer due to the additional mental energy. I'm thinking wearing one during golf would be very beneficial to staying focused for the full 18. Not sure what the R & A or the USPGA position on this is though. Might be deemed an unfair advantage.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 4:25 pm