The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+8
12pierogi
Player
rooteen
jmtbkr
Pky6471
jt1135
Poe4soul
FamousDavis
12 posters

Pull Cart

Horseballs
    Horseballs

Pull Cart  - Page 2 Empty Re: Pull Cart

Post  Horseballs Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:00 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:Of course I prefer to play the game the way it was meant to be played. With a caddie to belittle and humiliate for 4+ hours. Golf was originally a royal pursuit, where the princes flitted away their time in leisure activities, while servants attended to their every need. I feel golf would be better served getting back to its roots.

How much do you have to pay those guys? Minimum wage here is $13.50 an hour so I'd be looking at, at least $54 if I could find a sucker willing to do it. I'd probably have to pay more like $100 to get anybody to give up 4 hours of their precious time. I'm not sure who I could find though. NZ was settled AFTER the abolition of slavery.
    $40 is typical, though some people pay more or less. These aren't Stevie level caddies. These are neighborhood lackeys who lug your shit around and rake a trap or two.
    In season, cart/walking fees are $24. There is no option to avoid paying this fee. So really, it's only $16 for me to take a caddie.

I suppose if it is the norm at the SPCC then that's fine. You ever strike any annoying twats like the one FD describes? Or do the SPCC put these guys through a rigorous training program where they are taught to do as they're told sweep bunkers and STFU.
    The SPCC's caddies are between 12 - 18 years old and scared to death of the members. I have taken caddies at Spanish Bay, Kiawah, Scioto CC, Harbortown and a few other places where the caddie is an older dude who is supposed to know everything about the course, and "enhance the experience" with stories and wit. I've had good luck for the most part, but I had to tell the dude at Harbortown to STFU about anything unless I ask him. He was clearly half assing his yardage estimates.
    Player
    Player

Pull Cart  - Page 2 Empty Re: Pull Cart

Post  Player Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:01 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:Of course I prefer to play the game the way it was meant to be played. With a caddie to belittle and humiliate for 4+ hours. Golf was originally a royal pursuit, where the princes flitted away their time in leisure activities, while servants attended to their every need. I feel golf would be better served getting back to its roots.

How much do you have to pay those guys? Minimum wage here is $13.50 an hour so I'd be looking at, at least $54 if I could find a sucker willing to do it. I'd probably have to pay more like $100 to get anybody to give up 4 hours of their precious time. I'm not sure who I could find though. NZ was settled AFTER the abolition of slavery.
    $40 is typical, though some people pay more or less. These aren't Stevie level caddies. These are neighborhood lackeys who lug your shit around and rake a trap or two.
    In season, cart/walking fees are $24. There is no option to avoid paying this fee. So really, it's only $16 for me to take a caddie.

I suppose if it is the norm at the SPCC then that's fine. You ever strike any annoying twats like the one FD describes? Or do the SPCC put these guys through a rigorous training program where they are taught to do as they're told sweep bunkers and STFU.
    The SPCC's caddies are between 12 - 18 years old and scared to death of the members. I have taken caddies at Spanish Bay, Kiawah, Scioto CC, Harbortown and a few other places where the caddie is an older dude who is supposed to know everything about the course, and "enhance the experience" with stories and wit. I've had good luck for the most part, but I had to tell the dude at Harbortown to STFU about anything unless I ask him. He was clearly half assing his yardage estimates.
    Where I play we only use caddies in inter club pennants matches, and they are other club members who volunteer.

Does your club ever receive complaints about caddies for swearing, smoking grasson the course or bad caddying? You know for Italians they say caddying is skilled labour, I wonder if Zo was ever a caddy.