The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+8
12pierogi
Player
rooteen
jmtbkr
Pky6471
jt1135
Poe4soul
FamousDavis
12 posters

Pull Cart

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Pull Cart  Empty Re: Pull Cart

Post  FamousDavis Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:46 pm

FamousDavis wrote:I am now playing several courses where I prefer to walk. Due to my age and my desire to avoid any type of back injury, I have decided to invest in a pull cart. Some people call the "push carts". I actually have one that came with a set that I bought off some dude and it's been sitting in my attic for some time now. It's got the 3 wheels and all the other mojo.

So, for any of you who walk the course and use a pull/push cart, what kind do you use?
    [img]Pull Cart  Z_clic10[/img]
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:03 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:I am now playing several courses where I prefer to walk. Due to my age and my desire to avoid any type of back injury, I have decided to invest in a pull cart. Some people call the "push carts". I actually have one that came with a set that I bought off some dude and it's been sitting in my attic for some time now. It's got the 3 wheels and all the other mojo.

So, for any of you who walk the course and use a pull/push cart, what kind do you use?

I carry. I've tried the push carts but I actually think they are just as hard as carrying.

...but then I know Karate and voodoo too. Did I mention I look good without a shirt?
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:10 pm

Poe4soul wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:

I carry. I've tried the push carts but I actually think they are just as hard as carrying.

...but then I know Karate and voodoo too. Did I mention I look good without a shirt?

That's kind of the quandary I'm in right now. I'm thinking that it's going to be a major pain in the ass to get the pull cart in and out of my Acura TL and that in itself is hard on the back. Next, I'll be pushing and pulling the thing all over the place, which could be just as hard on your back as carrying a lightweight bag.

I do have a Ping Moon bag that is extremely light. However, it doesn't have legs. I might just invest in an extremely lightweight Sun Mountain bag that comes with extending legs. Also, I'll reduce the number of items I keep in the bag and chug the Gatorade prior to the round. I'll hit the drinking fountains and simply carry some lightweight trail mix or possibly some Jerky.

This is exciting.

jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:52 pm

"This is exciting"

Just like watching cars rust. Laughing
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:04 pm

FamousDavis wrote:

I believe the Clicgear pix that you have is call "push" cart because you push, not pull like 15-yr old model... No doubt that push is much better for walking. I have the exact model , very good, easy to fold into a small package. I like to walk during Spring and Fall and courses that are easy to walk... when it's 85F+ I get tired walking... hey I am an old dude
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:36 pm

I have the Tour Trek push cart. Much simpler to fold/unfold than the Clicgear. Holds my Cally Org14 bag with all my stuff. A neat mesh bag to store my Final Word.
    Paid a bit over $100 at GS.
    Easier on the arm/shoulder than the old pulcarts. And when the fairway goes downhill, you let it roll by itself and have a nice stroll alone. Get to do my on course 'adjustment' at this point.
    rooteen
    rooteen

Post  rooteen Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:52 pm

Seen a new one lately that i think is made by ogio. Stays attached to the bag when folded which makes it very easy to put in and out of the boot, and uses less space too.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:46 pm

Push or pull carts are much easier than carrying. Its not so much the back as it is general fatigue. Since turning 40 I will get tired by the last couple of holes if I carry, which could mean sloppy bogies and the risk of losing matches. I personally prefer a light 2 wheel fold up which stays attached to the bag when travelling, saves time and space. Mine is a bag boy.
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:50 am

FamousDavis wrote:
    Poe4soul wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:

That's kind of the quandary I'm in right now. I'm thinking that it's going to be a major pain in the ass to get the pull cart in and out of my Acura TL and that in itself is hard on the back. Next, I'll be pushing and pulling the thing all over the place, which could be just as hard on your back as carrying a lightweight bag.

I do have a Ping Moon bag that is extremely light. However, it doesn't have legs. I might just invest in an extremely lightweight Sun Mountain bag that comes with extending legs. Also, I'll reduce the number of items I keep in the bag and chug the Gatorade prior to the round. I'll hit the drinking fountains and simply carry some lightweight trail mix or possibly some Jerky.

This is exciting.

I don't drink much of the sport drinks. I do carry a water bottle and nuun tablets. Nuun's are electrolyte tabs you drop in water. That way I can just fill up my bottle with water and drop in a nuun. It fizzies for a minute then it tastes pretty good. It's like Gatorade without the sugar. They even make a cola flavored one with caffeine. Perfect for the bag.

Anyone that can't carry the bag for 18 and is under 60 is out of shape and needs to hit the weights. If you choose to push, fine, but it shouldn't be because you'll get tired.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:00 am

Poe4soul wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    Poe4soul wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:

This is exciting.

I don't drink much of the sport drinks. I do carry a water bottle and nuun tablets. Nuun's are electrolyte tabs you drop in water. That way I can just fill up my bottle with water and drop in a nuun. It fizzies for a minute then it tastes pretty good. It's like Gatorade without the sugar. They even make a cola flavored one with caffeine. Perfect for the bag.

Anyone that can't carry the bag for 18 and is under 60 is out of shape and needs to hit the weights. If you choose to push, fine, but it shouldn't be because you'll get tired.
    Just to clarify. Im totally out of shape, and Im talking about summer with temps over 100 in your retarded non celcius system, coupled with around 70% humidity most days. Combine that with slow 5 hour rounds and it saps the energy out of fit people.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:49 am

I will carry a stand bag with maybe 12 clubs, mostly for 9 hole walks. If I'm walking 18 I'm breaking out the speed cart.

The cart allows you to carry more than enough for 18 without getting fatigued.

I'm not in high school or college were you have to carry.

Golfaholic

Post  Golfaholic Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:07 am

FamousDavis wrote:
    Poe4soul wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:

my Acura TL

Damn you. I kind of wish I didn't sell my TL. What year is yours? The Click Gear carts fold up really small and should be no problem fitting it and a bag in the trunk.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:16 pm

I have a Sun Mountain push cart similar design to the Clicgear model shown in the picture. It's definitely designed for pushing not pulling and with recent back problems I have had multiple physio's check that I am pushing the cart with two hands in front and not pulling it from behind with one arm which is apparently a recipe for injury. I use the pushcart on most club days where the round is slower and longer. For casual rounds or a quick nine holes after work I still like to use a carry bag. I can carry 14 clubs but sometimes revert to 10-12 just to lighten the load. The 3 wheel pushcart is great. Rolls easily on the flat and as somebody else mentioned just let it go at the top of hills and you'rewalking free. Doesn't pack down very small but that is only an issue if I am going away and need to pack other gear around it. 90% of my golf is played at home and it's not an issue fitting it in the boot/trunk of my car. I guess the next natural progression is a motorized pushcart. A remote controlled one would be the business! afro
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:45 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:I have a Sun Mountain push cart similar design to the Clicgear model shown in the picture. It's definitely designed for pushing not pulling and with recent back problems I have had multiple physio's check that I am pushing the cart with two hands in front and not pulling it from behind with one arm which is apparently a recipe for injury. I use the pushcart on most club days where the round is slower and longer. For casual rounds or a quick nine holes after work I still like to use a carry bag. I can carry 14 clubs but sometimes revert to 10-12 just to lighten the load. The 3 wheel pushcart is great. Rolls easily on the flat and as somebody else mentioned just let it go at the top of hills and you'rewalking free. Doesn't pack down very small but that is only an issue if I am going away and need to pack other gear around it. 90% of my golf is played at home and it's not an issue fitting it in the boot/trunk of my car. I guess the next natural progression is a motorized pushcart. A remote controlled one would be the business! afro

Sir Kiwi,

I also looked into one of those electric, remote-controlled carts called a Hillbilly. There was some dude on Craigslist selling one for $175 and I offered him $100. The cheapskate came back at me with $150. I told him to pound sand.

The nerve of some people. Seriously, though, I think having an electric one is the way to go. Might be a little heavy to get in and out of the trunk. It would be cool if they had one that listened to voice commands and then you could abuse it on the golf course..."Stop right there you POS!!"
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:02 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:I have a Sun Mountain push cart similar design to the Clicgear model shown in the picture. It's definitely designed for pushing not pulling and with recent back problems I have had multiple physio's check that I am pushing the cart with two hands in front and not pulling it from behind with one arm which is apparently a recipe for injury. I use the pushcart on most club days where the round is slower and longer. For casual rounds or a quick nine holes after work I still like to use a carry bag. I can carry 14 clubs but sometimes revert to 10-12 just to lighten the load. The 3 wheel pushcart is great. Rolls easily on the flat and as somebody else mentioned just let it go at the top of hills and you'rewalking free. Doesn't pack down very small but that is only an issue if I am going away and need to pack other gear around it. 90% of my golf is played at home and it's not an issue fitting it in the boot/trunk of my car. I guess the next natural progression is a motorized pushcart. A remote controlled one would be the business! afro

Sir Kiwi,

I also looked into one of those electric, remote-controlled carts called a Hillbilly. There was some dude on Craigslist selling one for $175 and I offered him $100. The cheapskate came back at me with $150. I told him to pound sand.

The nerve of some people. Seriously, though, I think having an electric one is the way to go. Might be a little heavy to get in and out of the trunk. It would be cool if they had one that listened to voice commands and then you could abuse it on the golf course..."Stop right there you POS!!"

A guy at my club used to have a remote controlled electric pushcart. It was brilliant. He could send that bag anywhere. He'd retrieve his putter at the green then send it off towards the next tee. I've played golf a couple of times where I've put my bag on a cart but walked the course. It's amazing how much difference it makes and how much fresher you feel after 18 not having to lug your clubs. An electric cart would save a lot of energy that's for sure. But for the time being I appreciate the exercise I get from golf plus those carts are quite pricey. One day I guess. Smile
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:11 pm

Of course I prefer to play the game the way it was meant to be played. With a caddie to belittle and humiliate for 4+ hours. Golf was originally a royal pursuit, where the princes flitted away their time in leisure activities, while servants attended to their every need. I feel golf would be better served getting back to its roots.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:47 pm

Amen to that. In lieu of a serf carrying my bag, I shall take the mechanical conveyance with windscree, roof and plenty of storage nooks for all my golfing accessories as well as the other guy who will play the role of chauffer when I chose to walk to my next shot. If you think this sounds snooty, I will usually tell the other guy that my back is stiffening up and I need to walk a bit to loosen it up. It works every time.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:36 pm

Horseballs wrote:Of course I prefer to play the game the way it was meant to be played. With a caddie to belittle and humiliate for 4+ hours. Golf was originally a royal pursuit, where the princes flitted away their time in leisure activities, while servants attended to their every need. I feel golf would be better served getting back to its roots.

How much do you have to pay those guys? Minimum wage here is $13.50 an hour so I'd be looking at, at least $54 if I could find a sucker willing to do it. I'd probably have to pay more like $100 to get anybody to give up 4 hours of their precious time. I'm not sure who I could find though. NZ was settled AFTER the abolition of slavery.
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:46 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:Of course I prefer to play the game the way it was meant to be played. With a caddie to belittle and humiliate for 4+ hours. Golf was originally a royal pursuit, where the princes flitted away their time in leisure activities, while servants attended to their every need. I feel golf would be better served getting back to its roots.

How much do you have to pay those guys? Minimum wage here is $13.50 an hour so I'd be looking at, at least $54 if I could find a sucker willing to do it. I'd probably have to pay more like $100 to get anybody to give up 4 hours of their precious time. I'm not sure who I could find though. NZ was settled AFTER the abolition of slavery.

There's always Vietnam
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:29 am

Kiwigolfer wrote:

$40 is typical, though some people pay more or less. These aren't Stevie level caddies. These are neighborhood lackeys who lug your shit around and rake a trap or two.
    In season, cart/walking fees are $24. There is no option to avoid paying this fee. So really, it's only $16 for me to take a caddie.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:47 am

Business-class golf in Japan is a whole-day event... Stop and drink every 3 holes... in the end, we went to a Korean Karaoke and drink some more, each one has own girl at your service... paid by company , how bad could it be?
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:55 am

Pky6471 wrote:Business-class golf in Japan is a whole-day event... Stop and drink every 3 holes... in the end, we went to a Korean Karaoke and drink some more, each one has own girl at your service... paid by company , how bad could it be?

... and what exactly does any of this have to do with the push/pull cart discussion we are having?
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:56 am

The minimum for a caddie these days would be somewhere between $40 and $60 depending on where you live. Back in 1998 I played in an NCGA Amateur event at Spyglass Hill in the Pebble Beach area and my playing partner convinced me to take a caddy. Worst mistake I ever made. I couldn't stand the guy. He would give me unsolicited advice and had an attitude. We had to pay him $60 each. Never again.

On another note, I've narrowed down my push cart search to the Sun Mountain speedcart and the Micro Cart (pictured). I found three Micro Carts at the PIAS, brand new for $129. They fold up nicely and seem pretty durable. That is all.

[img]Pull Cart  Z_micr10[/img]
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:13 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:

$40 is typical, though some people pay more or less. These aren't Stevie level caddies. These are neighborhood lackeys who lug your shit around and rake a trap or two.
    In season, cart/walking fees are $24. There is no option to avoid paying this fee. So really, it's only $16 for me to take a caddie.

I suppose if it is the norm at the SPCC then that's fine. You ever strike any annoying twats like the one FD describes? Or do the SPCC put these guys through a rigorous training program where they are taught to do as they're told sweep bunkers and STFU.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:22 pm

When I bought my Sun Mountain Speedcart 2 (the one with 3 wheels) it was the most popular model. Now that 4 wheel Microcart seems to be the most popular model. Among other things it packs down smaller than the Speedcart.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content