The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+3
Pky6471
Mongrel
FamousDavis
7 posters

FD's Open Picks

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

FD's Open Picks Empty FD's Open Picks

Post  FamousDavis Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:11 pm

One of these five players will win the British Open:

1. Tiger Woods
    2. Adam Scott
    3. Ricky Fowler
    4. Sergio
    5. Bubba

You heard it hear first. I realize I'm posting after the first round is over but since it's the first post it gives everyone fair chance.

out
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

FD's Open Picks Empty Re: FD's Open Picks

Post  Mongrel Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:12 pm

I don't think that the weather will stay so benign. I would like to see Tiger paired with Sergio in the last group Sunday afternoon.

Looking at day one's leaderboard, there are a few surprises. Regarding the Watsons, the left-handed one is not the low Watson. And the top ten looks like a bit of a meatball feast with pasta a la Molinari and Manasero.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:32 am

FamousDavis wrote:One of these five players will win the British Open:

1. Tiger Woods
    2. Adam Scott
    3. Ricky Fowler
    4. Sergio
    5. Bubba

You heard it hear first.  I realize I'm posting after the first round is over but since it's the first post it gives everyone fair chance.  

out

I always believe that strong wind condition of the Open would be too much for Bubba who loves to work a ball... 3 more days to go yet
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:45 pm

Oh no. El Tigre just tripled 17. Sayonnara, amigo. Now I'll have to root for Sergio and Victor (the Froggy).
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:15 pm

Well I'll be damned if he didn't birdie the last and it looks like he makes the cut on the number.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

FD's Open Picks Empty Rory is running away with it....

Post  Pky6471 Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:48 pm

... Bubba is whining with it
    ... TW looks OK, health wise, good for him
    ... Ricky looks great

Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:08 pm

1. Tiger Woods
    2. Adam Scott
    3. Ricky Fowler
    4. Sergio
    5. Bubba

You heard it hear first.  I realize I'm posting after the first round is over but since it's the first post it gives everyone fair chance.  

out

So you must be hoping for an epic McIlroy choke in the final round for this predictionto be correct. T W and Scott not even in contention and Bubba missed the cut!

Fowler and Sergio your only hope. Smile
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:26 am

Kiwigolfer wrote:

1. Tiger Woods
    2. Adam Scott
    3. Ricky Fowler
    4. Sergio
    5. Bubba

out

So you must be hoping for an epic McIlroy choke in the final round for this predictionto be correct. T W and Scott not even in contention and Bubba missed the cut!

Fowler and Sergio your only hope. Smile

They can't win WITHOUT help from Rory... I want him to break the records, but.....This is NO GOOD, USOpen rarely allows -10 final score to win . -20 to win would be like the winner at John Deer classic... That sucks IMO
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:47 am

I really like some of those sea-side summer 'cottages' behind the course. Very Happy
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:25 pm

jmtbkr wrote:I really like some of those sea-side summer 'cottages' behind the course. Very Happy

Agreed, homes with beautiful architect... I once custom built an "English Tutor" home in Lancaster PA. miss that home. It was built by the Amish, can't beat that quality
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:05 am

Congrats to Rory... Job well done

Given the fact that TW is healthy during this tourney, I could see that TW would be dangerous at the next PGA tourney
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:48 am

Pky6471 wrote:
    jmtbkr wrote:I really like some of those sea-side summer 'cottages' behind the course. Very Happy

Agreed, homes with beautiful architect... I once custom built an "English Tutor" home in Lancaster PA. miss that home. It was built by the Amish, can't beat that quality

I still miss the shoo fly pie and funny cake my mother would serve when I was young. My ancestry is close to Amish on my father's side and a mix of German and French aristocracy on my mother's.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:11 am

It's interesting how entities that refer to themselves as "The" are insecure and generally inferior. Examples are "The" open,"The" Ohio State University, "The" University of Notre Dame, etc.

I'm trying to remember whether I've ever heard Harvard or Stanford refer to themselves as "The".

I don't think so….
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:45 am

I love it when a modern bomb-and-gauge style of play wins the British Open by refusing to play the ball along the ground. It must drive the Brits bonkers that "golf as it is meant to be played" can be reduced to bombed tee shots and backed up wedges.
    These self-described knowledgeable fans go ape-sh!t when someone putts from 30 yards off the green or hits a chippy 4 iron from 120 yards, regardless of the outcome. They'd be really impressed by some of the skulled irons and crappy low shots that are on display at my course on a daily basis.

Things I heard several times during the telecast...
    "Get in the hole!!!"
    "Mashed potatoes"

European moral high ground for golf fan behavior is a thing of the past.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:04 am

This was the first British Open in years that I did not watch more than an hour of. The weather must have been unusually kind to the UK with all that green grass. And not much wind. So it was sort of boring to me, really. I like it when the grass is all burnt out and a punched 4 iron that carries 140 will run another 140 yards. This event seemed most akin to Rory's Romp at Congressional which they had set up like a muni on a Sunday.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:40 am

Mongrel wrote:
    Pky6471 wrote:

I still miss the shoo fly pie and funny cake my mother would serve when I was young. My ancestry is close to Amish on my father's side and a mix of German and French aristocracy on my mother's.

I love shoo fly pie, luckily we found a very good bakery in Lancaster where the lady made "less-sweet" and perfect shoo fly pie... Outside of the Amish country I don't think you could find the shoo fly pie (I could be wrong)
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:07 pm

OK, so I didn't pick the winner. I wasn't expecting THE British Open to be a birdie fest with guys hitting shots that back up. Originally I had thought that it was great that there were two par 5s in the last three holes of the tournment. However, that turned out to be the opposite of what I thought it would be. Rory going into those last three holes with a 2 shot lead basically meant the tournament was over. That course was too easy. I can't imagine they'll return there anytime soon.

Congrats to Sergio. I've always like him.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:31 pm

The real bummer of this year's British Open was the TV coverage. I really can't stand ESPN. The BBC was always eccentric and odd but I liked them.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:04 pm

FamousDavis wrote:OK, so I didn't pick the winner.  I wasn't expecting THE British Open to be a birdie fest with guys hitting shots that back up.  Originally I had thought that it was great that there were two par 5s in the last three holes of the tournment.  However, that turned out to be the opposite of what I thought it would be.  Rory going into those last three holes with a 2 shot lead basically meant the tournament was over.  That course was too easy.  I can't imagine they'll return there anytime soon.  

Congrats to Sergio.  I've always like him.  
    I am surprised that Sergio has not won any majors yet... IMO, he's one of the best if not the best ball striker

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:28 pm