The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+4
Lorenzzo
jmtbkr
Horseballs
FamousDavis
8 posters

Your logical or illlogical British Open picks.

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Your logical or illlogical British Open picks.   Empty Your logical or illlogical British Open picks.

Post  FamousDavis Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:44 pm

Here is my logic and lack of logic for my picks:

Tiger Woods: He's an illogical pick but I'm picking him anyway. His last two tournaments were poor showings and he hasn't played much lately due to his limp wrist and Vonn showing him how to properly throw her a nice one. On the other hand, the kid does have 14 majors which is 10 more than mr. smiley face Mickelson. Plus, the dude knows how to win in cold and bleak weather.

Justin Rose: I can see it. He's confident, he's a Brit and he's done well here before. The guy is almost too British. But, he just won the US Open in style.

Ricky Fowler: Kind of a wild card but he plays well working the ball and has a lot of Top 10's. I'm hoping for a more subtle orange on Sunday.

Extreme Wild Card Pick: Sir Nick Faldo. This guy thinks he has a fancier pot to pizz in since the queen started calling him "sir". Either way he has 5 majors and knows how to beat guys like that folding tent, G. Norman. I'd love to see Faldo win. Miller would hate it.

Horseballs
    Horseballs

Your logical or illlogical British Open picks.   Empty Re: Your logical or illlogical British Open picks.

Post  Horseballs Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:22 pm

Phil Mickelson is winning this event. He can sense that Tiger is finished and will be looking to surpass his victory totals to claim his rightful spot at the top of the OWGR.

My illogical pick is whoever won the British Amateur.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Your logical or illlogical British Open picks.   Empty Re: Your logical or illlogical British Open picks.

Post  jmtbkr Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:36 pm

Jason Day
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:52 pm

My logical pick is Sandy Lyle.

My illogical pick is Ben Roethlisberger.  If that's not acceptable because he's a football player, then I pick Gandhi. If he has to be a golfer, then Ben Hogan.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:22 am

Nicklaus. He's the only one who owns and sells golf clubs and the only manufacturer to put the name "Muirfield" on a set of irons and the only course designer who put that hallowed name on one of his golf courses in the States.

Second pick is that Irish guy, Mulligan. By virtue of his surname and the golfing traditions surrounding it, he'll be the only one who can hit do-overs. An unfair advantage, say what?
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:52 am

Mongrel wrote:Nicklaus. He's the only one who owns and sells golf clubs and the only manufacturer to put the name "Muirfield" on a set of irons and the only course designer who put that hallowed name on one of his golf courses in the States.

Second pick is that Irish guy, Mulligan. By virtue of his surname and the golfing traditions surrounding it, he'll be the only one who can hit do-overs. An unfair advantage, say what?

Mongrel, I like you new avatar. In all honesty, though, if I saw that dog in my neighborhood I'd report it to neighborhood watch.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:06 pm

Why thank you! You know, I looked long and hard to replace the headshot of me in my flak helmet sitting on the main deck of my yacht in Da Nang Harbor in August of 1971. As soon as I spied the be-hoodied pooch, I knew I had to make it my own and captured it for posterity.
    Hubijerk
    Hubijerk

Post  Hubijerk Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:52 am

I think Mickelson gets it done, he's playing well, and it seems like he's in a good place mentally and he seems really focused.  He also won last week in Europe.  Adam Scott will be near the top of the board as well and if McDowell can get his sh*t together he has a solid chance as well.  Tiger, yeah, Tiger can do it.

Longer shots... Sergio and Colsaerts
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:10 am

I Know it will be someone outside the top 50...
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:53 pm

Hubi and I got it right. Glad to see Westwood fade. I don't think that guy belongs as a major winner.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:45 pm

My boy Sandy Lyle rallied to make the cut and then came in DFL.  But he really played his heart out, showing up to the golf course for all four rounds and playing all 72 holes with regulation golf balls.  

During that time he fatally shot nobody, followed and shot nobody and created not even one race war.   So it could have been a lot worse than DFL.  I really feel no personal humiliation having made the pick.  

A side note, once again Adam Scott failed to properly heed Stevie's advice, costing Stevie another major.  Still, Stevie must consider it a sort of victory that Tiger's beloved friend Phil won.

Congrats to those who picked Mickelson.  I can't even imagine the level of creativity and insight required to make that pick.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:36 pm

I will have to swallow any pride left and sincerely congratulate Phil. He hit the shots he had to hit and no one else did. All the other followers looked like their tales were dragging and their ears were drooping. I have changed my opinion on the prospect of TW equaling or surpassing Jack's Majors total. Taking God's name in vain is against one of the Commandments, isn't it? I mean like that book was written long before The Rules of Golf. And yoiu know that the mouth-breathing left-leaning Sodomites at the Networks in general and ESPN in particular had their trained monkeys out there with shotgun microphones hoping to catch a "f*ck" or "motherf*cker" but got, instead, the No No of No No's. TW will pay dearly unless and until he is forced to his knees and comes to Jesus.

As for ESPN, I hope those of you in the Rest of the Viewing World didn't have to put up with the poorest direction, technical direction, placement of cameras and on-air "talent" selection I can recall suffering in a Major tournament, let alone a run-of-the-mill PGA Tour event. It just about made me pine for Jim Nantz. Why on earth did they pack Curtis Strange into the booth? I mean its the British Open. Not the Cornpone Open. At least pick a Yank who speaks standard English. I really liked Curtis as a player but when he opens his mouth, all that goodwill flushes down the drain. As a matter of fact, I think that a Curtis Strange Glossary should be included any time his is in the announce booth.

Samples of Mongrel's include:

"Tom" Not Curtis' twin brother's nickname but rather what you read on the face of the clock.
    "Clommon" Moving vertically typically upwards. As in "He's clommon up the leaderboard."
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:48 pm

Mongrel wrote:I will have to swallow any pride left and sincerely congratulate Phil. He hit the shots he had to hit and no one else did. All the other followers looked like their tales were dragging and their ears were drooping. I have changed my opinion on the prospect of TW equaling or surpassing Jack's Majors total. Taking God's name in vain is against one of the Commandments, isn't it? I mean like that book was written long before The Rules of Golf. And yoiu know that the mouth-breathing left-leaning Sodomites at the Networks in general and ESPN in particular had their trained monkeys out there with shotgun microphones hoping to catch a "f*ck" or "motherf*cker" but got, instead, the No No of No No's. TW will pay dearly unless and until he is forced to his knees and comes to Jesus.

As for ESPN, I hope those of you in the Rest of the Viewing World didn't have to put up with the poorest direction, technical direction, placement of cameras and on-air "talent" selection I can recall suffering in a Major tournament, let alone a run-of-the-mill PGA Tour event. It just about made me pine for Jim Nantz. Why on earth did they pack Curtis Strange into the booth? I mean its the British Open. Not the Cornpone Open. At least pick a Yank who speaks standard English. I really liked Curtis as a player but when he opens his mouth, all that goodwill flushes down the drain. As a matter of fact, I think that a Curtis Strange Glossary should be included any time his is in the announce booth.

Samples of Mongrel's include:

"Tom"             Not Curtis' twin brother's nickname but rather what you read on the face of the clock.
    "Clommon"      Moving vertically typically upwards. As in "He's clommon up the leaderboard."

It was a great tourney until the end... Phil deserves this win. After he birdie'd the 17th, I had a gut feeling that he's going to win... and he birdied the 18th, that's icing on the cake... Loving it

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 12:01 pm