The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

4 posters

Golfsmith today....

jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Golfsmith today.... Empty Golfsmith today....

Post  jmtbkr Tue May 20, 2014 4:52 pm

After a great round at Bethpage Blue today(86), I hit up the local GS to see what all the hype was regarding the Deep 3W and Mini driver.

The 3deep looked and felt just like my G15, only taller in hitting surface. Smaller body tho, even tho it has more internal volume - Ping 165cc v Cally 205cc. Smaller looking head was not confident inspiring. It didn't hit really any differently either.
    The minidriver was really huge! Not what I was expecting. 260cc is big! Swung it, it felt like my driver, a big light head waaay out on the end of a long shaft. Typical TM.
    Guess I'll stick with what I got.

I then hit a Titty 913FD 3W with the Diamana D+. Wow, I want one of these.....
    The heavier shaft made a huge diff for me. I could really feel the clubhead throughtout the swing.

They had a beat set of MX25's for $135.
    No other Mizzy's.

Bought 2 dz Pinnacle Golds. Love this ball!

Tried a couple Odyssey counter balanced putters with those fat grips. Eh...

I'm actually looking for a 33*+ hybrid. My back won't let me swing a 6-7 irons.

Oh...it was 85* today. Ah...long island this time of the year!!! Also a bit breezy, but between the BP trees, nice and calm. Fast greens too already!
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Golfsmith today.... Empty Re: Golfsmith today....

Post  Mongrel Tue May 20, 2014 6:00 pm

I love going through the used inventory at my local Golfsmith. However, it is notorious for over-pricing everything. Sometimes double or triple what you can buy it for in the nearby Golf Galaxy. Except Golfsmith must have three or four times the used inventory. So even the blind pig sometimes finds the truffle. As did I two months ago when I found a Titleist 909D2 9.5* with stiff Titty VooDoo shaft for $31. They had about ten other various 909 drivers at an average price of $150 or so. The club was immaculate and I didn't even reshaft it. Yet.

They still have a set of MX 25's (5-PW) with Rifle 6.5's at an asking price of $325. I think they were on the rack when the store opened over two years ago. Two weeks ago I about had it with my MX 25's and scored a nice used set of Titleist 775 CB's with Tit Nippon N.S. Pro 100's in stiff flex. $110 for 3 through PW. Hit them on the range on the way home and they felt real funky and I was very disappointed until I got home and measured them. They were all 1" over. So I cut 3/4" off every butt, re-gripped them and now they seem about perfect. Playing with them for the first time tomorrow morning at the local muni by the Chesapeake Bay.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Tue May 20, 2014 6:20 pm

I believe the correct shaft is EVERYTHING... I lean toward lt.wt and firm/stiff shaft for me. The problem is R-flex from one brand = S-flex from another brand, no industry standard which makes it tough to select except doing the trial-n-error... that sucks
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Wed May 21, 2014 8:44 am

I've got the Cally 3 Deep from last year. I don't bag it yet, but I do like to hit it. It's not the most forgiving club in the bag, even for a 3 wood. It launches pretty low and rolls out forever. I'm sure I can hit it into the wind longer than my current driver, but I just don't see a use for it in my bag. I want a 3 wood that goes higher and shorter than my driver.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 11:20 pm