The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

4 posters

70F today Oct 20 in DE

Pky6471
    Pky6471

70F today Oct 20 in DE Empty 70F today Oct 20 in DE

Post  Pky6471 Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:20 pm

... so I hit the links, can't ask for better golf weather . Hit my new/old 17* TM 3W extremely well compared to my standard 15* 3W, got my confidence back... also, I love hitting my 7W, love it, love it , love it
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

70F today Oct 20 in DE Empty Re: 70F today Oct 20 in DE

Post  Mongrel Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:37 pm

4-GW 2008 Taylormade Tour Burners arrived yesterday after work. Grips are original and shot but I figured on that. And the fact that the seller listed them as "standard length" which of course is bullshit 98% of the time because Greater Moronia never bothers to measure clubs. OK since they are all 3/4" over standard spec and I have to put new grips on them anyway so I just cut a half an inch off each one and its good to go. Hope these clubs work better than the forged Adams CB2's I played last season. Lovely irons but came up short sometimes with good swings. Think it is the thin soles. These Burners have a little thicker soles and slightly heavier stiff steel shafts (105 grams vs. 90 grams) and hopefully will produce a bit lower shots.

I was contemplating scoring a different putter but I experimented on the Rife 2 Bar by standing on the top of its head and pulling the shaft towards me until I felt it bend making it a little flatter. Seems to be better putting on my basement carpet.

Warm here except the daylight is leaving too fast. Natives in the City have been relatively pacific save for a gun homicide or two daily but those happen in the gang-hoods and not in the Green Zone. Gonna ask Santa for some more ammo for Christmas and maybe a scope. Take them out at long enough range so that you don't have to use the 12 gauge and risk blood splatter on your sidewalk or the floor of your entrance foyer.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:15 pm

Weather is great on long island. Bunch of the guys went out yesterday but I was stuck at the surgi-center getting my 5 yr colonoscopy, so I stayed home.

Going out Sat. morning with my new driver, 910D2 w/ RIP60 shaft that I finally lifted off my friend for $50. I hit this thing a ton. Gives me 20+ yds over the Ping. What a difference between 9* and 13.5*. PKY...you were right!!
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:22 am

jmtbkr wrote:Weather is great on long island. Bunch of the guys went out yesterday but I was stuck at the surgi-center getting my 5 yr colonoscopy, so I stayed home.

Going out Sat. morning with my new driver, 910D2 w/ RIP60 shaft that I finally lifted off my friend for $50. I hit this thing a ton. Gives me 20+ yds over the Ping. What a difference between 9* and 13.5*. PKY...you were right!!

I am glad that you are enjoying your new/old lofted driver... I enjoy my 13* TM JetSpeed driver tremendously. I got rid of my "occasionally" slice, and still have my baby fades... Love it, the game is much more enjoyable... for me, I pretty much confirm that the side spins are gone with my 13* driver (I am a super scientist so I have to prove EVERYTHING to myself bounce ). My 17* TM JetSpeed 3W help me regain my confidence hitting my 3W, I put back my Cally 7W (21*-22*) in my bag and it's a go-to club to advance my shot when I don't need to use my 3W (i.e. I need the next 2 shots to get on the green anyway so why I kid myself... hahahahaha)
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:41 am

I played a round yesterday 10/27 at Deerfield before the rain comes today. Really beautiful fall foliage in the whole golf course... Continue loving my 13* TM driver , 17* TM 3W and 22* Cally 7W,,, love that 7W, ... one birdie and 3 pars, a very relaxing day... LOVE that 7W and I get my confidence back with the 17* 3W.
    Enjoy yours
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:15 pm

Off to Florida tomorrow for a week. Got to open the house - take hurricane shutters off by Nov 1 (HOA rules!)

Playing at least 6 rounds. Bringing the bag with me including a 10.5* G15. Gonna give it a try. New scotty putter I'm used to finally should work great down there. The 910 should be the bomb on those fairways!

Playing at friends club monday - Frenchmen's Creek. 8am round followed by lunch with martini's then an afternoon round. Then 12 hours of sleep with the help of a couple of vicodins and lots of sound effects getting up the next morning.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:41 pm

I love my G15 9*. It is the only driver I played this year and that is a first for most of the decades I've been playing. There were only two others-- an original TaylorMade Pittsburgh Persimmon 9* I got around 1980 that I played until its shaft snapped on the long drive hole at an NFL Alumni tournament in 1985 and a Top Flite Heat Lee Trevino model 10.5* the won me two long drive prizes in scrambles in the late '80's. I forget what happened to that one.

A couple of months ago I found a used (pull) Aldila Serrano 60 regular flex shaft and stuck it in my G15 and it has been a real beast for me. The other shaft let me get away with gentle fades when I slightly pulled it but the Serrano goes dead straight and even draws slightly when I crank it up. I thought that 9 degrees might not be enough for me but it gets in the air adequately and rolls well enough. Enjoy Florida.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:35 pm

I've been playing the 9* G15 for a few years now. With the Serrano 60 stiff shaft, even tho I have a low 90's swing speed.
    I always thought it was the shiznit. Hitting fairways, outdriving the other Bozo's I play with. Didn't think I'd find a better driver, for my swing and game. Then my friend comes along with this Titty D2 and I promptly hit the longest drive I ever hit in my life. I bugged him all summer to sell it to me. He wound up buying a G15 10.5* and sold me the D2.
    I'm getting 20+ yds over the G15. I can't believe it!

I've played with all the settings and I have it cranked up to what is supposed to be 13.5*. But the talk is you really only change the lie angle and open/close the face rather that actually adjusting loft. I was told to go and buy a 12 or 13 deg fixed head driver if I really want to up my loft. So I'll use it for the week in Florida and see what happens.

I've got a spare 9* G15 w/ Serrano stiff shaft in my Florida bag, but I want to hit my new Mizzies and Scotty.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:40 pm

Last winter the local Golf Galaxy had a used D2--forget if it was the 910 or 913-- whatever-- and since no one was hitting in the sims, I got one of the guys to give me the adjustment tool. I had printed out the Titleist adjustment chart earlier at the office and I went through every bloody setting with that driver and no matter what setting I chose, the club felt like shit and wouldn't carry one drive out of the 40 or 50 I hit over 200 yards with clubhead speed registering from 90 to 96. It had a Mitsu blue something or other in stiff which is a pretty good shaft. Then I get this new to me G15 out on the course this past spring and started averaging 230-240 with the weak RIP shaft it came with. Twice on the same par 5 playing around 490 yards I reached in two with the second shots being 21* hybrids from 175 and 180 yards and that's without any help from cart paths. The Serrano I put in mine is regular flex and it feels pretty stout for me. I doubt that same shaft in stiff would do me any good.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:02 am

at Deerfield this time I was able to change my 'setup" and launch a ball like 9.5* as well as 13* driver... and very repeatable (hope I remember it until next season). When the wind was behind me, I launched it high and got the most distance... Just love my 13* TM JetSpeed driver, I am pretty sure the "M"ature shaft has a lot do to with the outcomes Smile . One guy launched his 7i like my old 3i ( no. I don't even carry a 6i), got a lot of roll and could not stop on the greens... Just like what we all have said " all about the angle of attack"
    Enjoy yours... and enjoy FL
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:29 pm

Getting ready for tomorrow's marathon golf day.

Warmed up today in 88* and humid weather. Drove good, putted well but kept chunking my shot shots, you know, those 50-60 chip ups!

Got my Florida Odessey putter re-gripped with a WinnProX 1.32. Just like the grip on the Scotty. Left the bag at home, didn't want to go thru the hassle with the TSA morons taking everything out. So I'm using my 9* G15 and the X20's. Shot a weak 88 and lost 1 ball, a found ProV1x. The Pinnacle Golds go just as far down here, so I'll stick with them.

More update tomorrow. Some drunk postings to follow............
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:42 pm

shtttt...88 is good enough for me.... I don't play often so in the past if I got 20 birdies a season I would be happy, now 10 birdies a seasons I would be happy... I am struggling to get 10 B this yr... damn old age.  Tues 11/3 it would be 70+ here again I have my AM T-time, don't know what to expect , just go out and have fun... to me it's a brain therapy
    Hit that 13.5* driver smoooottttthhhhhhlllllyyyyyy

I found a Nike Mojo ball last week and it's a good ball for cooler weather... it goes for miles.....
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:38 am

well, I don't think I'll ever try this again.....definitely not as young as I thought I was. The mind says "yes" and the body says, "why did you do that?"

Saturday's marathon was tons of fun. We got out at 7:15, first light down here (think Ohio time). Played well. I was driving awesome. Playing Pinnacle gold's I was bombing tee shots in the 260 range. Greens being true helps your game alot! So I wound up with an 81 for the morning round. A nice 4 hr pace, got us back to the clubhouse in time for the feast. Kettle One, raw bluepoints and a perfect BLT, I was ready for a nap. But nooooo.....we had a 1 PM teetime. Vodka and golf don't go together. especially when the cart tart is fully stocked with 3 brands of it. I wound up loosing $50 and shooting a 94! But I did have fun. At one point I pool qued my putt 20 feet in! Much to the dismay of other members nearby..... oh well, guess I'm not the country club type.

Got home by 6:30, took 2 Aleve and promptly fell asleep for 13 hours!! Thank goodness we moved the clocks back that nite as I had a 9:30 tee on Sunday.

That round went well.....banged in a 82. Driving well again, good short game.

I's the weather here. It gets into the old bones, and nothing hurts. Warm, humid, I can make full turns without any aches or pains.

Today - Monday - I can't walk. Calves feel like they are made of concrete. Worst part....gotta head home to the cold of long island tonite.

well, I enjoyed it while it lasted. 4 days is a tease. But another 5 weeks, we're down until April. So I got that to look forward to.

Lesson learned: Don't drink heavily and play golf. Or get stoned and play golf affraid
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:47 pm

yep! lesson learned... Late Aug I was in Troy MI and had an outing with friends whom I had not seen in a yr... Shitttttttttt, they fed me beer from hole 1 and my head was spinning for the whole round, enjoyed time with friends but I was not stable to play a decent golf game... won't do again, ... or maybe until hole 15+ Laughing
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:09 pm

In the late '80's, my golf buddy and co-worker went to Florida in the late winter for a couple of rounds and some lessons from the pro at Seminole. My friend had been a pro on the Florida mini-tour in the late '70's and would go down every year for a pre-season tune-up. So on one of those days the Seminole pro arranges a match for my friend with Bernhard Langer, Sam Snead and a pro who later went on to become a TV golf announcer. My friend beat Snead by a shot. Snead had just had an apendectomy a few days earlier and was 73 at the time. Langer played well. But the other old pro shot a gross 68 drinking one bottle of beer every hole from the cooler in his cart.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:44 pm

OK...OK... I have T-time at Deerfield tomorrow 11/06 AM... will start drinking from home and every hole after Razz
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

70F today Oct 20 in DE Empty Brrrr

Post  FamousDavis Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:07 pm

It's something like 76 today in Southern California. Oh how I wish for the 80's again.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 am