The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+4
Hubijerk
Pky6471
Mongrel
FamousDavis
8 posters

Looking for a good traditional putter

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Looking for a good traditional putter Empty Looking for a good traditional putter

Post  FamousDavis Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:01 am

I'm looking for input on putters. Over the last 6 months I've played the following mallet putters: Odyssey DFX 2-Ball, TM Rossa Corza and Ping Craz-e. In the end, I don't like any of them as much as a standard Anser-style putter. The problem I run into with a mallet putter is difficulty in making 5 footers that break left to right. I don't know what it is but with a mallet putter I have a very hard time aligning the short ones. It's like the head is too big to be precise.

So, I'm looking for some feedback on blade putters. I was at Golfsmith the other day and they have the Odyssey Protype on sale for $139. That's over half off from what they were selling for. I've posted a couple of photos of the ones I'm considering.

[img]Looking for a good traditional putter Zz_oub10[/img]
    [img]Looking for a good traditional putter Zz_pro10[/img]
    [img]Looking for a good traditional putter Zz_syn10[/img]
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Looking for a good traditional putter Empty Re: Looking for a good traditional putter

Post  Mongrel Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:52 am

Played traditional. Played high MOI mallet. Sometimes they work. Sometimes they suck ass. So I'm trying something new: Left Hand Low. If that doesn't work, I'm taking putter out of my bag and will use a hybrid or leading edge of my 3 iron for long putts and the belly of my gap or pitching wedge for the short ones. Or maybe driver. Coupla months ago I was in the local Golf Galaxy and was putting with a used driver. I sank more 20 footers with that driver than the Yo's trying the $400 Scotty Cameroon's.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Looking for a good traditional putter Empty Re: Looking for a good traditional putter

Post  FamousDavis Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:52 pm

Mongrel wrote:Played traditional. Played high MOI mallet. Sometimes they work. Sometimes they suck ass. So I'm trying something new: Left Hand Low. If that doesn't work, I'm taking putter out of my bag and will use a hybrid or leading edge of my 3 iron for long putts and the belly of my gap or pitching wedge for the short ones. Or maybe driver. Coupla months ago I was in the local Golf Galaxy and was putting with a used driver. I sank more 20 footers with that driver than the Yo's trying the $400 Scotty Cameroon's.
    I was synching everything (get it?..synching) with that STX Sync putter. It has an extremely soft feel and virtually makes no sound when it hits the ball. However, this was indoors on a perfectly level putting mat.

Maybe I'll just go back to my Ping Ally. That's basically what I'm looking for anyway.

A couple other choices might be the Ping Zing g2i or a Scotty Cameron Newport.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:02 pm

I still have an old Acushnet Bullseye John Reuter in my main shed. As I recall, the leather grip is worn beyond salvation and the special fluted shaft may be quite rusty. Maybe I can get away with just replacing the grip. Hell, if that little semitic bulldog Pavin can finish in the top whatever every week on the Old Guys Tour averaging less than 245 off the tee, maybe that's the ticket?
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:46 pm

I think the art of putting is all in our head. If we believe in it, we would putt well , otherwise it's just a so-so day... Pros or amateurs alike. I still play my 20+ yr old Ram Zebra putter because I feel comfortable with it. I have good days and average days, never bad days with putter... maybe because I believe in it
    Hubijerk
    Hubijerk

Post  Hubijerk Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:54 pm

My yes Callie (now Ann) original 304 ss model keeps making its way back to my bag. Other suggestion is a ping redwood anser. The Callie feels soft while not being mushy and the grooves work. That's about as classic as it gets, and it's hard to beat the value of the Callie. I'm going back and forth with the guys at seemore right now working on a grooved counter weighted m2 design... Just for something different.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:35 pm

Mongrel wrote:Played traditional. Played high MOI mallet. Sometimes they work. Sometimes they suck ass. So I'm trying something new: Left Hand Low. If that doesn't work, I'm taking putter out of my bag and will use a hybrid or leading edge of my 3 iron for long putts and the belly of my gap or pitching wedge for the short ones. Or maybe driver. Coupla months ago I was in the local Golf Galaxy and was putting with a used driver. I sank more 20 footers with that driver than the Yo's trying the $400 Scotty Cameroon's.
    Left hand low will work, as long as you use a face balanced putter as it promotes a sbst stroke. I like cutting the length down too as it allows you to let your arms drop straight down which produces a pure pendulem stroke. I will warn you that it takes some getting used to, but its worth perservering with. You may lose a little feel on longer putts, but for straight putts inside 6 feet its killer. I can go rounds without missing any straight inside 6 footers.

Dont listen to ol chopper Davis, mallets work great. Whats he doing leaving himself left to right breakers anyhow, his course management and shot making is more to blame than his putter. Its always the arrow with him, never the Indian.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:41 pm

Player wrote:
    Left hand low will work, as long as you use a face balanced putter as it promotes a sbst stroke. I like cutting the length down too as it allows you to let your arms drop straight down which produces a pure pendulem stroke. I will warn you that it takes some getting used to, but its worth perservering with. You may lose a little feel on longer putts, but for straight putts inside 6 feet its killer. I can go rounds without missing any straight inside 6 footers.

Dont listen to ol chopper Davis, mallets work great. Whats he doing leaving himself left to right breakers anyhow, his course management and shot making is more to blame than his putter. Its always the arrow with him, never the Indian.
    What you're saying might hold true for most players but, in this case, you're talking about someone who is a great putter. I know that I'm a great putter because I play all the time with other people who have similar handicaps that don't putt anywhere close to as good as I do. I'm especially proficient at lag putting.

The thing is, even a guy like me can drastically improve his game with a few more putts made per round. So, in my case, I think we can both agree that it's the arrow and not the indian (native american, whatever). Since we know that it's not a matter of skill the only variable remaining is the equipment.

We need to find me a good putter. I'm actually leaning toward the STX Sync.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:10 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    What you're saying might hold true for most players but, in this case, you're talking about someone who is a great putter.   I know that I'm a great putter because I play all the time with other people who have similar handicaps that don't putt anywhere close to as good as I do.  I'm especially proficient at lag putting.  

The thing is, even a guy like me can drastically improve his game with a few more putts made per round.  So, in my case, I think we can both agree that it's the arrow and not the indian (native american, whatever).  Since we know that it's not a matter of skill the only variable remaining is the equipment.  

We need to find me a good putter.  I'm actually leaning toward the STX Sync.  
    Nothing is better than a good Indian and a good putter... Spend the money and drop 4 strokes... While at it, install a SuperStroke putter grip (I kind a like it, good/better feel than my fat Winn putter grip)
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:31 pm

I think you're on the right track, FD. Get yourself both a mallet and anser style and make sure to mix it up every couple months. At least on the practice green.
    You certainly don't want to mess around with undignified gimmicks like LHL, fat grips, or belly putters. We all know there are right and wrong ways to play this game, regardless of the written rules. Some things should remain the domain of the clueless and untalented.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:16 pm

Horseballs wrote:I think you're on the right track, FD. Get yourself both a mallet and anser style and make sure to mix it up every couple months. At least on the practice green.
    You certainly don't want to mess around with undignified gimmicks like LHL, fat grips, or belly putters. We all know there are right and wrong ways to play this game, regardless of the written rules. Some things should remain the domain of the clueless and untalented.
    Well hello Mr Pot. Of all people on this forum you should refrain from calling others undignified. We all remember the video of the wop looking guy with the flippy putting stroke, and full swing from memory. And on the subject of looking undignified on the golf course do we need to mention cargo shorts?
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:28 pm

Dudes, believe it or not I was checking out some used golf clubs today. I picked up a set of Callaway X-Forged (2007 model) with Project X 5.5 steel shafts. The 6-PW are the X-forged and the 4 & 5 iron are X-20 Tours. Got them for $99 but they've got some wear on them. No rusting but lots of bag chatter and wear. I posted an up close photo. Still feel great, though.

Was there a video of HB's swing somewhere? I'd love to see that. Looking for a good traditional putter Smiley-gen015
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:02 pm

FamousDavis wrote:Dudes, believe it or not I was checking out some used golf clubs today.  I picked up a set of Callaway X-Forged (2007 model) with Project X 5.5 steel shafts.   The 6-PW are the X-forged and the 4 & 5 iron are X-20 Tours.   Got them for $99 but they've got some wear on them.  No rusting but lots of bag chatter and wear.  I posted an up close photo.  Still feel great, though.  

Was there a video of HB's swing somewhere?  I'd love to see that.  Looking for a good traditional putter Smiley-gen015
    I think our friend has me confused with omen.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:51 am

Horseballs wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:Dudes, believe it or not I was checking out some used golf clubs today.  I picked up a set of Callaway X-Forged (2007 model) with Project X 5.5 steel shafts.   The 6-PW are the X-forged and the 4 & 5 iron are X-20 Tours.   Got them for $99 but they've got some wear on them.  No rusting but lots of bag chatter and wear.  I posted an up close photo.  Still feel great, though.  

Was there a video of HB's swing somewhere?  I'd love to see that.  Looking for a good traditional putter Smiley-gen015
    No confusion, there was a video of HBs swing, and it certainly was something to behold. Eamon Darcy would have been proud to own it.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:47 am

Player wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:

No confusion, there was a video of HBs swing, and it certainly was something to behold. Eamon Darcy would have been proud to own it.
    I don't think so.  Omen and I didn't take any videos.  I know Omen had one in his front yard.
    Attachments
    Looking for a good traditional putter AttachmentVictory1.jpg
    You don't have permission to download attachments.
    (82 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:55 am

Yes forged Abby is a lovely putter. My Sophia is going nowhere. I may let the Tracy II go.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:00 am

Horseballs wrote:

Old GR timers like Player and me did see a photo of HB, but I don't remember seeing the flippy putting stroke, only hearing about it.  Player, Italian looking is correct, as ironic as it might seem coming from me.  In fact, he looks a lot more Italian than I do.  Could be because I'm Northern Italian and he looked Southern.

Genetics can produce some weird results. I recall a family with one black and one white parent. One of their kids looked white, the other black. I've got a kid with blue eyes and you have to go back three generations on either side to find blue eyes.

Last edited by Lorenzzo on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:03 am

Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:

Old GR timers like Player and me did see a photo of HB, but I don't remember seeing the flippy putting stroke, only hearing about it.  Player, Italian looking is correct, as ironic as it might seem coming from me.  In fact, he looks a lot more Italian than I do.  Could be because I'm Northern Italian and he looked Southern.
    Yeah. 50% Southern. Sicily, which is about as southern as you can get. I posted a pic of me from last year earlier in this thread. I don't know what happened to those other ones. Probably buried in the GR archives.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:07 am

Horseballs wrote:
    Player wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:

I don't think so.  Omen and I didn't take any videos.  I know Omen had one in his front yard.
    Yeah, that physicality would be right at home picking pockets and whistling at women.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:40 am

Picking pockets and whistling at women. Sounds like the streets of Rome.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:44 am

Mongrel wrote:Picking pockets and whistling at women. Sounds like the streets of Rome.
    You're right, I aimed too far north.  More like selling bootleg grappa, slashing tires and running numbers.

I think everyone should post photos of themselves in fact in my case it's my avatar.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:57 am

I had one as an avatar a month or two ago. It was only up for a couple of days. A shoulder up shot of me sitting on the rail of the 02 deck with my flack helmet on and the suburbs of Da Nang, Republic of Vietnam, in the background. This was in the middle of August, 1971. I purposely edited the photo darkening my face. I have seen a photo or video showing Kiwi and I think that we may resemble each other to the point where he might look like a relative. However, I've never been south of the Equator and am thus still a poliwog. But I would like to die a shellback.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 1:58 pm