The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+2
Mongrel
Horseballs
6 posters

PGA Tour possible takeover of Euro Tour

Horseballs
    Horseballs

PGA Tour possible takeover of Euro Tour Empty PGA Tour possible takeover of Euro Tour

Post  Horseballs Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:55 am

So, this is being discussed. Clearly, the vastly superior PGA Tour can do whatever they'd like with that mini-tour across the pond, but I would be disappointed if it happened.

I like the Euro Tour for all its quirkiness. I enjoy watching second rate pros knocking it around goat tracks across the world. It's refreshing to see a course with small crowds and disinterested fans having picnics. It's refreshing to see an event go crazy when Tiger or Phil gets paid to make one of their events relevant.

Hell, I'd even be OK if the Euro Tour moves a couple WGC events to their venues. I personally just think this is a power move. The PGA Tour just wants to squeeze a bit and make the Euro Tour wet its pants to let them know who the big dog is. Hopefully, nothing will come of this.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

PGA Tour possible takeover of Euro Tour Empty Re: PGA Tour possible takeover of Euro Tour

Post  Mongrel Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:14 am

I like the Euro Tour just as it is. What a freshing interlude it is to watch TV coverage early in the mornings on weekends and listen to announcers who do not irritate me the way some of the USA network people do (no need to mention names since you know who you are). Plus its a great place for USA PGA players who have fallen into the dumpster and need to get their golf heads straight. And some of the events are in locations that are just gorgeous and exotic.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

PGA Tour possible takeover of Euro Tour Empty Re: PGA Tour possible takeover of Euro Tour

Post  Horseballs Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:53 pm

Mongrel wrote:I like the Euro Tour just as it is. What a freshing interlude it is to watch TV coverage early in the mornings on weekends and listen to announcers who do not irritate me the way some of the USA network people do (no need to mention names since you know who you are). Plus its a great place for USA PGA players who have fallen into the dumpster and need to get their golf heads straight. And some of the events are in locations that are just gorgeous and exotic.
    Apparently, the Euro Tour is cash-strapped in its current format. They made a big play to match the PGA Tour's Fedex Cup with their own version of the Race to Dubai. Big mistake. They were just fine playing second fiddle. Plus, why would the Euro Tour willingly end the season in a country outside the EU? Clearly, they had to make a deal with whomever could pay for it. Desperation is a bad look.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:14 pm

I don't mind watching them play outside of Europe. I can understand the muslim countries that agree to hold their tournaments since the deservedly bad rap their religion has gotten in the past 1,413 or so years means that all the western support and dollars these nations can get provides them buttresses from the world-wide islanmist push for the umma.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:42 pm

Very shrewd move on the part of the PGA Tour .  Tiger is obviously done, they might as well maximize brand value now before it plummets.  Since the best players are coming from Europe the PGA Tour realizes they must try everything they can to get them to play under their umbrella.

I don't see the Euro Tour ultimately agreeing mostly because of all the obesity here.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:59 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:I don't see the Euro Tour ultimately agreeing mostly because of all the obesity here.
    It really isn't up to the Euro Tour. If the PGA wants to take control, they will, and there is nothing anyone can do about it. If I ran the PGA, I'd take over the rest of the smaller tours, fold up the Web.com Tour, and make the others feeders to the PGA Tour.

It's obvious that the rest of the world doesn't give a damn about growing the game. Every high schooler with a shred of talent goes to college in the US on a golf scholarship. Sure, other countries are reaping the benefits of the US system, but that is only because they don't give a shit about setting up their own programs. Actually Australia is exempted because they do a good job on their own.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:46 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:I don't see the Euro Tour ultimately agreeing mostly because of all the obesity here.
    It really isn't up to the Euro Tour.  If the PGA wants to take control, they will, and there is nothing anyone can do about it.  If I ran the PGA, I'd take over the rest of the smaller tours, fold up the Web.com Tour, and make the others feeders to the PGA Tour.  

It's obvious that the rest of the world doesn't give a damn about growing the game.  Every high schooler with a shred of talent goes to college in the US on a golf scholarship.  Sure, other countries are reaping the benefits of the US system, but that is only because they don't give a shit about setting up their own programs.  Actually Australia is exempted because they do a good job on their own.  
    I can't remember the last time I watched a European Tour event. Does the Dubai event count as European? I always think of those particular events as sort of World events, rather than the European Tour. Australia does do a good job in its events and has developed some of the great players.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:46 am

FamousDavis wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    It really isn't up to the Euro Tour.  If the PGA wants to take control, they will, and there is nothing anyone can do about it.  If I ran the PGA, I'd take over the rest of the smaller tours, fold up the Web.com Tour, and make the others feeders to the PGA Tour.  

It's obvious that the rest of the world doesn't give a damn about growing the game.  Every high schooler with a shred of talent goes to college in the US on a golf scholarship.  Sure, other countries are reaping the benefits of the US system, but that is only because they don't give a shit about setting up their own programs.  Actually Australia is exempted because they do a good job on their own.  
    I can't remember the last time I watched a European Tour event. Does the Dubai event count as European? I always think of those particular events as sort of World events, rather than the European Tour. Australia does do a good job in its events and has developed some of the great players.
    Oz tour is down to 3 events, so not doing so well. We only get by on the fact our pga tour players want to spend summer down here. Reducing to 3 events has some advantages thoigh as it means you dont need to spread talent over more events, and can get more marquee imports to each event.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:59 am

Too bad about the Oz Tour. Couple of years ago I watched some of those rounds almost every weekend. The courses looked great and I was familiar with many of the players. And the announce crew was funny without being annoying. A rare combo.
    trombettista_vecchio
    trombettista_vecchio

Post  trombettista_vecchio Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:10 pm

The PGA Tour turned to crap when it separated from the PGA.

No professional without valid club pro credentials should be allowed in tournament play on any continent.  If they want to be "pure" players, they should remain amateurs like Bobby Jones in his tournament days.  No pros who don't give lessons and run a pro shop.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:17 pm

trombettista_vecchio wrote:The PGA Tour turned to crap when it separated from the PGA.

No professional without valid club pro credentials should be allowed in tournament play on any continent.  If they want to be "pure" players, they should remain amateurs like Bobby Jones in his tournament days.  No pros who don't give lessons and run a pro shop.
    I'd take it a step further. I think the only people who should be able to play in PGA Tour events should have degrees from Harvard and be attorneys during the off season. That's what Bobby Jones did so I don't see why everyone can't follow in his footsteps.

Player
    Player

Post  Player Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:32 am

Mongrel wrote:Too bad about the Oz Tour. Couple of years ago I watched some of those rounds almost every weekend. The courses looked great and I was familiar with many of the players. And the announce crew was funny without being annoying. A rare combo.
    I think our courses stack up against any tour. Back in the day Americans used to come here to develop their games on our hard, fast courses. Our greens are so hard and undulating they cant run them any faster than about 11 or they become unplayable. Throw in wind at almost every event and you get true championship conditions.

I agree we are also blessed with great commentary. No Nantz or Costis, just good commentators who let the golf do most of the talking.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:12 am

trombettista_vecchio wrote:The PGA Tour turned to crap when it separated from the PGA.

I take the other stance. I don't think the guys working the pro shop and giving lessons should be called pros. Typically they are paper pushers, salesmen, and administrators. I think they should be called "golf admins" or "golf secretaries."
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:24 pm

Horseballs wrote:

I take the other stance.  I don't think the guys working the pro shop and giving lessons should be called pros.  Typically they are paper pushers, salesmen, and administrators.  I think they should be called "golf admins" or "golf secretaries."
    As long as the title Director of Course Conditions is retained I have no problem with that.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:32 pm

Horseballs wrote:

I take the other stance. I don't think the guys working the pro shop and giving lessons should be called pros. Typically they are paper pushers, salesmen, and administrators. I think they should be called "golf admins" or "golf secretaries."
    In oz pro shop golf pros are generally viewed with the same level of disdain as lawyers and used car salesmen.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 1:12 pm