The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

4 posters

Euro Tourney This Week in Dubai?

Pky6471
    Pky6471

Euro Tourney This Week in Dubai? Empty Euro Tourney This Week in Dubai?

Post  Pky6471 Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:36 am

Rory and TW play like sh$$$t, especially Rory who plays like a 15 capper... not sure if he ate horse burger or Nike tools... he fukkkk big time
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Euro Tourney This Week in Dubai? Empty Re: Euro Tourney This Week in Dubai?

Post  Mongrel Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:52 am

Playing in The Sandbox can be tough on westerners due to the atmosphere and travel time. Plus when you're playing with unfamiliar clubs and balls and the entire world of golf cogniscenti is watching to see how you're getting along with your new kit, the pressure is quite on him. And then the golf course itself is rather severe with narrow fairways and very gnarly rough. Couple all that with the early tee times when the air is still cold and you have the recipe for M/C. Wouldn't doubt that the new Nike Twins can't wait to exfil from the land of suicide bombers, burkas and RPG's.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:26 am

And let me just add that since neither of the boys will be playing the weekend, my television viewership of this event will have likely ended early this morning as I got up from my chair to go shower.
    Olderplayer
    Olderplayer

Post  Olderplayer Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:28 pm

It was a sort of no win for Nike. I wonder if they saw it coming. If Rory came out and continued to play well with the new gear all would say "well he is world number one and a great player and can play with anything". If he hacks it up the perception is the new gear must be inferior.
    Their image and marketing guys must have the bigger picture in mind. Rory and Tiger together as seen in the most recent ad really is gold.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:49 pm

The ad is good but it needs to be accompanied by some performances. Now I'd say that the brand is being best represented as I type by young Russell Hendley out in the southern California desert. This is the same tour rookie who won last week over in Florida With Topography. Last I checked, he was about 7 or 8 under par in the second round and a shot or two behind the leaders.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:39 pm

Olderplayer wrote:It was a sort of no win for Nike. I wonder if they saw it coming. If Rory came out and continued to play well with the new gear all would say "well he is world number one and a great player and can play with anything". If he hacks it up the perception is the new gear must be inferior.
    Their image and marketing guys must have the bigger picture in mind. Rory and Tiger together as seen in the most recent ad really is gold.

Watching Rory on TV last nite, his face said 'get me outta here'... he was depressed, he was embarrassed , no words could describe him yesterday... It's a sad day for him and a horrible day for Nike when #1 and #2 got beat up .... even the Rookie Russell Hendley plays better than them
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:18 am

Pky6471 wrote:
    Olderplayer wrote:It was a sort of no win for Nike. I wonder if they saw it coming. If Rory came out and continued to play well with the new gear all would say "well he is world number one and a great player and can play with anything". If he hacks it up the perception is the new gear must be inferior.

Watching Rory on TV last nite, his face said 'get me outta here'... he was depressed, he was embarrassed , no words could describe him yesterday... It's a sad day for him and a horrible day for Nike when #1 and #2 got beat up .... even the Rookie Russell Hendley plays better than them

I may have mentioned it before but I think this was a huge mistake by Rory. He already has millions and he could have made easily enough by spreading out his endorsements with lots of companies. I don't care how much a manufacturer tries to replicate the clubs you played with before. There's no way a Nike driver is going to feel the same as a Titleist. Even if it was close, there's always the mental impact of changing equipment. Plus, there's proof or risk based on past players who have played horribly for years after switching equipment.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:26 am

FamousDavis wrote: I don't care how much a manufacturer tries to replicate the clubs you played with before. There's no way a Nike driver is going to feel the same as a Titleist. Even if it was close, there's always the mental impact of changing equipment. Plus, there's proof or risk based on past players who have played horribly for years after switching equipment.

We know it's a mental game. IMO when he lost his touch with new toys he would start having his doubt about equipment more so than his ability and that would make matter even worse. I am sure Rory will spend a lot more time on the range until he feels more comfy with his clubs... that may prevent him from winning a major this year
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:22 pm

Pky6471 wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote: I don't care how much a manufacturer tries to replicate the clubs you played with before. There's no way a Nike driver is going to feel the same as a Titleist. Even if it was close, there's always the mental impact of changing equipment. Plus, there's proof or risk based on past players who have played horribly for years after switching equipment.

We know it's a mental game. IMO when he lost his touch with new toys he would start having his doubt about equipment more so than his ability and that would make matter even worse. I am sure Rory will spend a lot more time on the range until he feels more comfy with his clubs... that may prevent him from winning a major this year

Like most of us, these tour guys are also creatures of habit. I read where Rory kept playing a Titleist 906F2 13* fairway wood several years after the company had come out with at least two new fairway wood models. I remember seeing him crush it off the tees and fairways on numerous occasions. When he gets some of them dialed in, watch out. Even if he doesn't, I bet that he gets to ride in better jets nowadays.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 pm