The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+2
Mongrel
FamousDavis
6 posters

Amazing discovery at Golf Store

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Amazing discovery at Golf Store Empty Amazing discovery at Golf Store

Post  FamousDavis Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:58 am

Well folks, it's not often that I come on here and brag about something. This time, however, I just had to share my brilliance with a riveted audience.

To begin, I had just been released from Jury Duty after being at the courthouse for less than two hours. I did my duty, was a contributing member of society (rather than a leech) and I felt great for being one of the good guys.

Anyway, I trekked over to Golf Mart and started hitting a few drivers in front of several intrigued sales people. They always seem to congregate when I'm hitting driver.

I went back to the used driver section and found a driver that one could only describe as a paradox in assemblage - Ping i20 driver with a Ping TFC Soft Regular shaft, one inch longer than standard. I thought to myself "Ha! What a gas! Why would anyone pear an 8.5 lofted, low spinning head with such a noodle of a shaft".

All I can tell you is that the laughing stopped after I hit 3 drives in the simulator that all flew in the air over 260 yards with another 20 yards of rollout. For the first time that I can remember my launch angle was under 10 degrees and my backspin RPM was under 1800. I was holding a rocket launcher in my hands. I was Chuck Norris and Lee Marvin. I was the Guns of Navarogne.

The price on the driver was $149 but I used my keen abilities of persuasion to lower the price to $109 with headcover. I cannot wait to try this club on the course. I'm amazed that I can get a soft regular shaft to work. With my swing speed, strength and overall buffed, muscle-bound body it's no surprise that I have the hand/eye coordination to make it work.

I'll provide a follow up in a couple of weeks after I've put the driver to the test for a few rounds in the 70's.

Later gents.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Amazing discovery at Golf Store Empty Re: Amazing discovery at Golf Store

Post  Mongrel Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:07 pm

The age-old rule of thumb regarding the optimum shaft for driver length is to play the longest shaft that you can control. As for flex, play the softest shaft you can control. "Control" being the operant, here. My prediction is that at the first sign of "long and wrong", this club is going up on the 'Bay. Your greatest challenge with this club will be to keep your timing relatively perfect. If you can, you will be even more deadly. By the way, I assume that you were not selected for a jury having gotten excused during the voire dire process. Of course for you to sit on a jury of peers, they would mostly be from this forum and maybe a few worthies still at the other place.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:33 pm

IMO, for FD to play R-flex driver shaft would be like for me to play Lady-shaft, the club head would lag behind ... I am almost 100% FD would put that club on fleebay in 2 wks... I can even play S-flex on my Cally Diablo Tour Edge drive Razz  , great ball dispersion with this sucker Laughing 
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:56 pm

FamousDavis wrote:Well folks, it's not often that I come on here and brag about something.  This time, however, I just had to share my brilliance with a riveted audience.  

To begin, I had just been released from Jury Duty after being at the courthouse for less than two hours.  I did my duty, was a contributing member of society (rather than a leech) and I felt great for being one of the good guys.

Anyway, I trekked over to Golf Mart and started hitting a few drivers in front of several intrigued sales people.  They always seem to congregate when I'm hitting driver.  

I went back to the used driver section and found a driver that one could only describe as a paradox in assemblage - Ping i20 driver with a Ping TFC Soft Regular shaft, one inch longer than standard.  I thought to myself "Ha!  What a gas!  Why would anyone pear an 8.5 lofted, low spinning head with such a noodle of a shaft".  

All I can tell you is that the laughing stopped after I hit 3 drives in the simulator that all flew in the air over 260 yards with another 20 yards of rollout.  For the first time that I can remember my launch angle was under 10 degrees and my backspin RPM was under 1800.  I was holding a rocket launcher in my hands.  I was Chuck Norris and Lee Marvin.   I was the Guns of Navarogne.  

The price on the driver was $149 but I used my keen abilities of persuasion to lower the price to $109 with headcover.   I cannot wait to try this club on the course.  I'm amazed that I can get a soft regular shaft to work.  With my swing speed, strength and overall buffed, muscle-bound body it's no surprise that I have the hand/eye coordination to make it work.  

I'll provide a follow up in a couple of weeks after I've put the driver to the test for a few rounds in the 70's.  

Later gents.  

Everything in this post says "Girly-man"
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:08 pm

If LarryRSF had any stones, he'd pop in here and straighten this thing out for you regarding driver shaft flex.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:38 pm

Mongrel wrote:The age-old rule of thumb regarding the optimum shaft for driver length is to play the longest shaft that you can control. As for flex, play the softest shaft you can control. "Control" being the operant, here. My prediction is that at the first sign of "long and wrong", this club is going up on the 'Bay. Your greatest challenge with this club will be to keep your timing relatively perfect. If you can, you will be even more deadly. By the way, I assume that you were not selected for a jury having gotten excused during the voire dire process. Of course for you to sit on a jury of peers, they would mostly be from this forum and maybe a few worthies still at the other place.

The reason I wasn't selected for jury service was because I was considered too intelligent. When the DA asked me if I ever served on a jury I started saying in a progressively loud voice that sounded like Al Pacino: "There's something very wrong here..."
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:29 pm

FamousDavis wrote:The reason I wasn't selected for jury service was because I was considered too intelligent.   When the DA asked me if I ever served on a jury I started saying in a progressively loud voice that sounded like Al Pacino:  "There's something very wrong here..."

One time the DA asked me a question and I told her to STFU... She sent me him for a good round of golf
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:15 pm

Fluffy wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:Well folks, it's not often that I come on here and brag about something.  This time, however, I just had to share my brilliance with a riveted audience.  

To begin, I had just been released from Jury Duty after being at the courthouse for less than two hours.  I did my duty, was a contributing member of society (rather than a leech) and I felt great for being one of the good guys.

Anyway, I trekked over to Golf Mart and started hitting a few drivers in front of several intrigued sales people.  They always seem to congregate when I'm hitting driver.  

I went back to the used driver section and found a driver that one could only describe as a paradox in assemblage - Ping i20 driver with a Ping TFC Soft Regular shaft, one inch longer than standard.  I thought to myself "Ha!  What a gas!  Why would anyone pear an 8.5 lofted, low spinning head with such a noodle of a shaft".  

All I can tell you is that the laughing stopped after I hit 3 drives in the simulator that all flew in the air over 260 yards with another 20 yards of rollout.  For the first time that I can remember my launch angle was under 10 degrees and my backspin RPM was under 1800.  I was holding a rocket launcher in my hands.  I was Chuck Norris and Lee Marvin.   I was the Guns of Navarogne.  

The price on the driver was $149 but I used my keen abilities of persuasion to lower the price to $109 with headcover.   I cannot wait to try this club on the course.  I'm amazed that I can get a soft regular shaft to work.  With my swing speed, strength and overall buffed, muscle-bound body it's no surprise that I have the hand/eye coordination to make it work.  

Later gents.  

You would know.

Seriously, though, I myself was pretty amazed at the results I was getting on the launch monitor. To give you some perspective, my other drivers include a Titleist 910 D3 8.5 with RIP Alpha stiff shaft. That is NOT considered to be a whippy shaft at all and is meant for hard swingers. The other driver is the Ping i20 with stock Ping Tour stiff shaft.

So, the fact that I was hitting a Ping i20, 8.5 degree with a soft-regular flex shaft was very eye opening for me. What I really liked about it was the fact that I could take a normal swing and generate a great deal of head speed, with very little backspin at a nice launch angle. The angle of descent was much better as well based on the rollout I was achieving.

What made me cry out "Eureka" though, was the feel upon impact. I could tell that I was making the ball compress more with this shaft and the flight dispersion was much less than with the stiffer shafts.

I knew this thread would bring out the macho men who swing for the fence with every drive. What's funny is that I'm probably in better shape than everyone here.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:04 pm

The guys in the pro shop at the country club were often bored and looked for ways to mess with the members. One of the things they would do was to rig up a driver in a way that made absolutely no sense, just to see if someone would buy it.  They seldom got a bite.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:11 pm

The head PGA teaching pro were I'm a member, plays the ping tfc shaft in regular flex, and hits it very nice, and I wouldn't say he's a short knocker.
    My favorite driver, a R9 in 8.5 loft, has a regular flex Motore shaft, granted most players complain its a boardy shaft for regular flex.
    I don't pay much attention if a shaft is regular, or stiff, or xstiff, it's how it feels, and the ballflight.

That shaft jt plays in his Srixon ztx driver, I don't know what flex his is, mine was a stiff, some kind of Diamana kp blue board, was among the stiffest shafts I've played. Everything leaked right, and I had to swing out of my shoes.
    In one of my Nickent drivers I have a Fuji fit on e 360 in xstiff I can hit a ton. So I guess my point is flex rating don't mean much to me.
    I have finally come to the conclusion, I prefer a heavier shaft. No ultralight shafts for me.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:02 pm

12pierogi wrote:The head PGA teaching pro were I'm a member, plays the ping tfc shaft in regular flex, and hits it very nice, and I wouldn't say he's a short knocker.
    My favorite driver, a R9 in 8.5 loft, has a regular flex Motore shaft, granted most players complain its a boardy shaft for regular flex.
    I don't pay much attention if a shaft is regular, or stiff, or xstiff, it's how it feels, and the ballflight.

That shaft jt plays in his Srixon ztx driver, I don't know what flex his is, mine was a stiff, some kind of Diamana kp blue board, was among the stiffest shafts I've played. Everything leaked right, and I had to swing out of my shoes.
    In one of my Nickent drivers I have a Fuji fit on e 360 in xstiff I can hit a ton. So I guess my point is flex rating don't mean much to me.
    I have finally come to the conclusion, I prefer a heavier shaft. No ultralight shafts for me.

When I was a member at a club in Northern California we had a guy at the club with a +3 handicap who had played on the PGA Tour for one year. He had these custom made slazenger blade irons with regular TT Dynamic shafts. His driver was a Callaway Big Bertha with RCH 90 regular flex. That shaft was whippy to begin with. He was routinely 25 yards longer than everyone else at the club.

The key is getting the right head/shaft combination. I'll be the first to admit that a soft-regular flex doesn't sound right. However, so much of that depends on head design, how far the shaft goes into the hosel and head of the driver and the characterisitics of that particular shaft. We've all hit shafts labeled "S" that felt like a board and others that felt whippy.

Again, the only way to test it out is on the course and I wouldn't bet against putting it on Ebay. But, one never knows. If I gain 15 yards on the course I'm keeping it in the bag.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:50 am

FamousDavis wrote:
    Fluffy wrote:

Later gents.  

You would know.  

Seriously, though, I myself was pretty amazed at the results I was getting on the launch monitor.   To give you some perspective, my other drivers include a Titleist 910 D3 8.5 with RIP Alpha stiff shaft.   That is NOT considered to be a whippy shaft at all and is meant for hard swingers.   The other driver is the Ping i20 with stock Ping Tour stiff shaft.  

So, the fact that I was hitting a Ping i20, 8.5 degree with a soft-regular flex shaft was very eye opening for me.   What I really liked about it was the fact that I could take a normal swing and generate a great deal of head speed, with very little backspin at a nice launch angle.  The angle of descent was much better as well based on the rollout I was achieving.  

What made me cry out "Eureka" though, was the feel upon impact.  I could tell that I was making the ball compress more with this shaft and the flight dispersion was much less than with the stiffer shafts.  

I knew this thread would bring out the macho men who swing for the fence with every drive.   What's funny is that I'm probably in better shape than everyone here.  

Naah, Just flying the GR/Caddyshack commenting flag...

Atleast you are able to try out various shafts in various heads.....I cant find a stiff/xstiff to save my life....You my firend...are in a far better position then me....I have to make work with what I have..,lol

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 12:27 pm