The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+2
Mongrel
Pky6471
6 posters

Golf Balls

Pky6471
    Pky6471

Golf Balls Empty Golf Balls

Post  Pky6471 Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:54 am

It was almost 60F so I went out to play a round of golf with my colleague at Patriots Glen in Maryland. I tried the 40-compression Wilson Duo, not too impressed. Very soft feel putting with it, sometime I can't even hear the sound of contact ... I like Cally Warbird 2 , Warbird plus or Srixon Soft-Feel better
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Golf Balls Empty Re: Golf Balls

Post  Mongrel Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:07 pm

I have not tried the Duo only because neither Golf Galaxy nor Dick's sell them around here. Last time I was in a Walmart, I didn't see them there either. Now late last summer, I bought a dozen Titleist DT SoLo's. The new 2012 model. This is also supposed to be a low compression ball but when you're up in age, sometimes its hard to tell. I had been playing Srixon Trispeed Tours in my competitions and, after hitting the SoLo's out in the field and giving them the test on the practice green and chipping/pitching, I put them in play. Good length and feel off irons and solid feel off driver. They putt pretty true for me and the roll-out on chips and pitches is no longer for me than any of the other balls I've played save for the Srixon Z-Star and Pro V1. The best thing for me with the SoLo is that it will fade just a bit off irons and driver if I pull the shots a bit. This may seem a negative for some but for me this has been the difference between a drive out of play and one that just misses the fairway. Or an approach iron that is just off the green instead of in the grunge. Of the orginal dozen, I still have more than half of them and intend to continue to use them this year. I'm going to Florida in a few weeks to play golf and will see how they go down there. Should be lots of wind and a good test for my new (to me) Cobra irons, putter, and new swing.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:32 pm

Mostly German wrote:I have not tried the Duo only because neither Golf Galaxy nor Dick's sell them around here. Last time I was in a Walmart, I didn't see them there either. Now late last summer, I bought a dozen Titleist DT SoLo's. The new 2012 model. This is also supposed to be a low compression ball but when you're up in age, sometimes its hard to tell. I had been playing Srixon Trispeed Tours in my competitions and, after hitting the SoLo's out in the field and giving them the test on the practice green and chipping/pitching, I put them in play. Good length and feel off irons and solid feel off driver. They putt pretty true for me and the roll-out on chips and pitches is no longer for me than any of the other balls I've played save for the Srixon Z-Star and Pro V1. The best thing for me with the SoLo is that it will fade just a bit off irons and driver if I pull the shots a bit. This may seem a negative for some but for me this has been the difference between a drive out of play and one that just misses the fairway. Or an approach iron that is just off the green instead of in the grunge. Of the orginal dozen, I still have more than half of them and intend to continue to use them this year. I'm going to Florida in a few weeks to play golf and will see how they go down there. Should be lots of wind and a good test for my new (to me) Cobra irons, putter, and new swing.

I heard lot of good thing about Titless DT Solo, in fact I have one I found on a golf course and have not tried it yet... For sure I do like Warbird and Srixon Soft-feel.... Maxi Noodle should be in the same softness category but for some reasons I never care for it
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:46 pm

I've never tried the Srixon Feel Better ball, like PKY.

I did buy two dozen Titleist DT SoLo yellow balls with a gift certificate for $19.99 a dozen. It's a decent ball with decent distance but I can't say it's any longer than the Callaway Hex Black Tour I've been playing recently. The big difference is around and on the greens. To me there is no comparison. On chips, the ball stops much quicker with the Hex Black Tour than with the SoLo. I had several shots where I know I would have been closer to the pin after a pitch with the Hex Black tour.

I was going to give my Cleveland TA5 Gunmetal irons a try today but I read the weather forecast and it was supposed to be 28 degrees at 7am today. That means the frost delay would have probably lasted until 9am. Couldn't wait that long to tee off so had to cancel. We've had an amazing cold front this year. I've had a few tropical-type plants die from frost this year like Creeping Fig, Bogunvilla and a few others.

Getting back to the discussion on my balls, the one I enjoy the best is the standard Titleist Pro V1 with no star. IMO, no better ball has ever been invented. I've never putted or chipped with a better ball and it seems to go just as long as anything else (in the Spring and Summer). In the winter months, my favorite ball is the Titleist NXT Tour. As long as I'm playing poa-anna greens it's a great ball. Not so great on Bent because they are typically harder greens that don't stop the ball as well.

I've never tried the Wilson Duo but there's a fine chap over on GR, named William Tornquist the IV, who simply raves about them.

Finally, I discovered a Srixon ZStar in the bushes the other day. Played it for one hole and gave it away to a plumber-type guy in the group behind us. he was thankful and mentioned that he's tired of dealing with other people's sh!t.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:00 pm

FamousDavis wrote:I've never tried the Srixon Feel Better ball, like PKY.

but I read the weather forecast and it was supposed to be 28 degrees at 7am today.

28F in SD ? WTF...
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:09 pm

Pky6471 wrote:

but I read the weather forecast and it was supposed to be 28 degrees at 7am today.

28F in SD ? WTF...

Yep, it's been extremely cold for the last 3 weeks or so and last night was the coldest. I would go out and play even if it was 30 degrees but they won't let you when there is frost on the greens. However, you still have to show up at your reserved tee time slot (which in this case was 7:24am) and wait with everyone else until they give the green light. No thanks.
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:12 pm

I flip-flop my balls according to the weather. If its cooler out, I'll play the DT SOLO or the Noodle Long and Soft (now there's an interesting name Shocked . They are definately softer feeling, especially on the greens. Off the driver, they all seem to be about the same in distance, altho I can feel and hear the difference from them and a harder ball like the V1x or the Nike TourD (my go to ball in the warm weather). Mostly I play the NXT - any of the models - when I can't find the Nike. When I started playing I used the Warbirds, as they were cheap, and I didn't understand the differences in balls. NowI give them to the wifey - she likes them.
    I played a found Wilson Duo once. It went a mile, for me, and then I lost it a few holes later. I'd go to Wallyworld to buy them, but the one and only time I went, the store smelled like a doody-diaper bin and I would up walking out disappointed

Funny thing....one of the best balls I found and played was - seriously - a Schweaty Ball. I have no idea who makes it, bit it's stamped Schweaty Balls...Drive it hard.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:09 pm

Pky6471 wrote:

28F in SD ? WTF...
    I had my choice of Great Lakes in Chicago or San Diego for my U.S. Navy basic training. Since I was being inducted on December 14, 1967, I chose San Diego because of the weather. Guys I talked to who went through training in Chicago said they spent half the time shoveling snow and growing up just west of Philly, I wanted none of that sh*t. The day before I reported to the base in San Diego, it had snowed and there was an inch standing at sea level. First time in over 50 years. Man that was a could coupla of months.
    Playa Hata
    Playa Hata

Post  Playa Hata Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:59 pm

I've been getting some crazy deals on the used ebay market. 6 dozen mint Pro V1s for $100 and then 100 mixed Taylormade balls for $31. About 3 dozen of the TM's were mint, so under a $1 a ball for those and $0 cost for the remaining 60 or so that I'll use for practice. I don't see a reason to buy new again.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:36 pm

I'll be playing the dt solo starting out this season. Straight off the driver. Decent around the greens. Good mid high iron flight.
    As the courses improve throughout the season, as well as my swing, I always have a sleeve of some new prov1 in the bag.
    Titleist baby.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:06 pm

Playa Hata wrote:I've been getting some crazy deals on the used ebay market. 6 dozen mint Pro V1s for $100 and then 100 mixed Taylormade balls for $31. About 3 dozen of the TM's were mint, so under a $1 a ball for those and $0 cost for the remaining 60 or so that I'll use for practice. I don't see a reason to buy new again.

A few months ago I spotted a Craigslist ad for Callaway Hex Black Tours. Some chap was selling them by the dozen for $29 each. After a bit of negotiating we agreed on a price of $21 per dozen, but only if I agreed to purchase the whole lot of 10 dozen. I jumped at the offer, knowing full well that I had acquired 10 dozen premium balls for less than half the retail price, not to mention the elimination of sales tax.

After putting said balls into play for several rounds of golf, I've come to the conclusion that the Hex Black Tour is a high caliber ball that spins well around the greens and, additionally, has superior distance qualities.

If you have the means, I highly recommend.

Cheers.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:29 pm

FamousDavis wrote:
    Playa Hata wrote:I've been getting some crazy deals on the used ebay market. 6 dozen mint Pro V1s for $100 and then 100 mixed Taylormade balls for $31. About 3 dozen of the TM's were mint, so under a $1 a ball for those and $0 cost for the remaining 60 or so that I'll use for practice. I don't see a reason to buy new again.

A few months ago I spotted a Craigslist ad for Callaway Hex Black Tours. Some chap was selling them by the dozen for $29 each. After a bit of negotiating we agreed on a price of $21 per dozen, but only if I agreed to purchase the whole lot of 10 dozen. I jumped at the offer, knowing full well that I had acquired 10 dozen premium balls for less than half the retail price, not to mention the elimination of sales tax.

After putting said balls into play for several rounds of golf, I've come to the conclusion that the Hex Black Tour is a high caliber ball that spins well around the greens and, additionally, has superior distance qualities.

If you have the means, I highly recommend.

Cheers.

The price was right for sure.
    The next ball that I will try or review is the Maxfli U/4 a 4 piece urethane covered ball, that supposedly does everything a prov1 does, and maybe a little better. There 10 dollars cheaper than the prov, and Dicks has them, actually I think they own maxfli. In this economy 10 dollars is 10 dollars.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:10 am