The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+5
Lorenzzo
jmtbkr
Kiwigolfer
FreakOfNature
FamousDavis
9 posters

Five Guys Burgers

FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Five Guys Burgers Empty Five Guys Burgers

Post  FamousDavis Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:58 pm

I've been to the place twice now. They recently opened a new one pretty close by. It's a little expensive but overall I thought it was a great tasting burger. I'm not sure where I stand on their fries. They are a little too greasy and soft for my taste. Also, I'm not fond of putting fries into a cup because that just makes them even softer. I give 5 guys two thumbs up with a little sideways tilt for the fries. I like the Coke machine where you press a computer screen button to get whatever flavored drink you want.

Smash Burger is also pretty good.
    FreakOfNature
    FreakOfNature

Five Guys Burgers Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers

Post  FreakOfNature Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:40 am

Still having trouble with the BBQ, FD? Laughing 

We don't have Five Guys or In 'n Out or many of the chains you guys seem to have down in the States, so I can't offer any comment on those. Personally, I don't really find any chain-burgers to be very good. They're OK if you're far from home and in need of a quick bite, but that's about it.

I'd love to see the look on your face after trying one of my BBQ burgers. Yeah, I know... everyone says they make the best BBQ burgers, but only until they have one of mine. Then they have another one and ask me what I do to them. Smile 
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:52 am

Hey Freak. Is there ANYTHING you're not a world beater at?

I'm guessing your burgers are so good a vegan like Not a Hacker would be going back begging for seconds. Wink
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:56 am

I remember we had at this topic back on GR and I said then, as I say now, 5 Guys is a pure grease burger. Disgusting, heart clogging, fat and grease, fried on a skillet with the flies.  The fries are awful too. And what self respecting burger joint would serve them in a cup?
    I went.....once.  I almost landed on my ass because I slipped on the fat that permeates the floor and walls.  And afterwards, I spent about 40minutes in the bathroom, doing.......

I wish there was an IN-AND-OUT on thr right coast!  Ahhhh, the toasted bun. The perfectly melted cheese. The real beef burger. And the best shakes this side of a Friendly's Fribble!

Now, if you ever made it to long island...I'd take you to our local Spare Rib. 3/4 lb flame broiled burger with any type of cheese and bacon. No foo-foo avacado on this bad boy! So big they need a 2lb steak knife to hold it together.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:17 am

I've never been into a Five Guys.  

1.   If I'm going to have beef, I either want steak or if ground from something really nice like NY or Ribeye.

2.   I believe in the saying "Too many cooks spoil the broth."  Five is too many.

3.   When I'm in SLC where I can get chain stuff, it isn't going to be mediocre fast food.

4.   In Cali the Five Guys was next to the Chipotle.  Not a hard choice.

5.   Even though it's not on their menu any more, the Phlegm Burger kind of killed it for me.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:48 pm

FreakOfNature wrote:Still having trouble with the BBQ, FD? Laughing 

We don't have Five Guys or In 'n Out or many of the chains you guys seem to have down in the States, so I can't offer any comment on those. Personally, I don't really find any chain-burgers to be very good. They're OK if you're far from home and in need of a quick bite, but that's about it.

I'd love to see the look on your face after trying one of my BBQ burgers. Yeah, I know... everyone says they make the best BBQ burgers, but only until they have one of mine. Then they have another one and ask me what I do to them. Smile 

There is no question that my BBQ hamburgers from Costco are the best tasting in the country. I know exactly how to cook them to perfection. I use my Webber grill and know exactly what I'm doing.

As for the people who crave In & Out Burger, I don't understand at all. Their regular burger tastes like cardboard. Their fries are marginal and usually lukewarm. They have great customer service and exceptionally clean stores.

Their double-double cheeseburger tastes very good, I have to admit. But it's not better than Five Guys.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:26 am

There several stores in the Northeast... even in Washington DC air port... They are Ok, better than McDonald and Burger King, but nothing spectacular, IMO Jack Daniel Burger in TGIF has a better flavor, Razz 
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:55 am

We've got a couple local joints less than a mile which are better than any of the "good burger" chains like 5 Guys and Smash Burger. I really never see the need to go the chains if I want a burger.

FON, what do you do to your burgers? I've done some fancy shit on the grill with burgers but they aren't great. One ended up tasting like meatloaf, which isn't terrible, but not what I'd look for in a burger. There is a place near me that makes burgers out of a couple ground meats mixed together. It's OK but this isn't necessarily a good restaurant. I'd like to try something like rib meat and a nicer cut of ground beef, but it's hard to find any place that grinds a good filet or strip. I'm certainly not grinding my own.
    FreakOfNature
    FreakOfNature

Post  FreakOfNature Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:27 pm

Horseballs wrote:We've got a couple local joints less than a mile which are better than any of the "good burger" chains like 5 Guys and Smash Burger.  I really never see the need to go the chains if I want a burger.  

FON, what do you do to your burgers?  I've done some fancy shit on the grill with burgers but they aren't great.  One ended up tasting like meatloaf, which isn't terrible, but not what I'd look for in a burger.  There is a place near me that makes burgers out of a couple ground meats mixed together.  It's OK but this isn't necessarily a good restaurant.  I'd like to try something like rib meat and a nicer cut of ground beef, but it's hard to find any place that grinds a good filet or strip.  I'm certainly not grinding my own.  

Firstly, you have to start with fresh medium ground beef - if it's been frozen beforehand then you'll be doomed from the start, as once you freeze meat you break the cell membranes and the meat loses its ability to retain moisture, and the burgers will dry out before they're finished cooking.

The next thing I do is add Montreal steak spice and a big glop of A1 Original steak sauce to the raw meat. Season to taste, it'll probably take a couple attempts to get just the right balance of each. Mash that all together really thoroughly by hand, just squish the bejeezus out of it until your hands get sore. Once that part is done, it's time to form the patties. This part is critical - you don't want to end up with meatballs or hockey pucks. Patties should be just barely thicker than 1/2", and slightly thinner toward the center. The patties will shrink up and the thickness will even out during the cooking process, so it's a good idea to make each patty a bit larger than the buns you'll be using to account for shrinkage. Something else I should mention that I often see people do is mix diced onion in with the meat. DO NOT DO THAT, EVER! It'll ruin the texture and they won't cook evenly.

That's the prep work out of the way, off to the grill.

I cannot overstate the importance of cooking at LOW HEAT, and never EVER squish the patties. Leave the juices in there! Another critical point is to refrain from flipping the patties any more than is necessary until they're almost ready to serve. I leave the patties until I start to see browning near the edges, then perform the first flip. Immediately following the first flip it's time to baste the cooked side of each patty. I again use a generous amount of A1 Original, and make sure it's spread evenly. Don't worry about any excess baste, that will drip off as it mixes with the juices of the meat - the main purpose of the baste is to trap the juices of the meat anyways. By trapping the juices you get a much more evenly cooked patty without any crunchy carbon bits on the outer surface.

Anyways, once the patties have browned evenly then it's time to flip them again and baste the other (dry) side. This time, you leave them cook a bit longer than the first two flips - watch for clear juices starting to mix with the baste and pooling on the upper surface of each patty, then flip for the 3rd time. Leave them just long enough for most of the excess baste to drip off, then drop the heat to minimum. At this point the patties are pretty much done and you just need to flip them a few times to knock off the last of the excess baste. At this point I usually add a few banana pepper rings and cover them with the cheese, then let the cheese melt. Ready to serve, top them however you prefer.

If you do everything just as I described, your finished product will be uniform in thickness, a juicy sheen on the surface with very few carbon bits, and they should be very tender and juicy on the inside. Congratulations, you have just completed the perfect BBQ burgers. cheers
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:56 pm

To me burgers are fast food. If I'm out or away from home and a burger is convenient I'll have a burger. But no way I'm making burger patties from ground beef at home. They just don't appeal enougn. If I'm cooking ground beef it's only occasionally and it's either bolognese, lasagna or chilli con carne. If I'm grilling on the BBQ it's eye fillet, 4 minutes each side on maximum heat, only turned once.

To me a good burger is all about the bun, the condiments and the sauces that go with it anyway. Can you really even taste a difference in the patty? Strip those condiments and sauces away and most ground beef patties are going to taste much the same IMHO. Not something I choose to eat when I'm dining at home. disappointed
    FreakOfNature
    FreakOfNature

Post  FreakOfNature Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:36 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:To me burgers are fast food. If I'm out or away from home and a burger is convenient I'll have a burger. But no way I'm making burger patties from ground beef at home. They just don't appeal enougn. If I'm cooking ground beef it's only occasionally and it's either bolognese, lasagna or chilli con carne. If I'm grilling on the BBQ it's eye fillet, 4 minutes each side on maximum heat, only turned once.

To me a good burger is all about the bun, the condiments and the sauces that go with it anyway. Can you really even taste a difference in the patty? Strip those condiments and sauces away and most ground beef patties are going to taste much the same IMHO. Not something I choose to eat when I'm dining at home. disappointed

I agree, burgers are fast food, but they are also a staple of BBQ - at least in this part of the world. The other thing, is that there really is a huge difference between an assembly line burger from a fast food joint and a slow-cooked properly seasoned BBQ burger.

I can taste the difference between all the major chains' burger patties. Around here we have McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, DQ, A&W, and Harvey's as the major chains, and each chain has a distinctive taste to the meat. Personally, while I can taste the differences, they still all seem rather bland to me. Given the option, I prefer to grill my own burgers, and top them however I'm in the mood that day. Chain burgers are always too dry and tough, and just don't have a rich enough flavor for my tastes. I take my time and pay attention to little details and the end result is many orders of magnitude more appealing than anything you can get at a drive-thru window. Night and day.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:51 pm

FreakOfNature wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:To me burgers are fast food. If I'm out or away from home and a burger is convenient I'll have a burger. But no way I'm making burger patties from ground beef at home. They just don't appeal enougn. If I'm cooking ground beef it's only occasionally and it's either bolognese, lasagna or chilli con carne. If I'm grilling on the BBQ it's eye fillet, 4 minutes each side on maximum heat, only turned once.

I agree, burgers are fast food, but they are also a staple of BBQ - at least in this part of the world. The other thing, is that there really is a huge difference between an assembly line burger from a fast food joint and a slow-cooked properly seasoned BBQ burger.

I can taste the difference between all the major chains' burger patties. Around here we have McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, DQ, A&W, and Harvey's as the major chains, and each chain has a distinctive taste to the meat. Personally, while I can taste the differences, they still all seem rather bland to me. Given the option, I prefer to grill my own burgers, and top them however I'm in the mood that day. Chain burgers are always too dry and tough, and just don't have a rich enough flavor for my tastes. I take my time and pay attention to little details and the end result is many orders of magnitude more appealing than anything you can get at a drive-thru window. Night and day.

Your recipe sounded pretty simple though. confused 

Montreal steak spice (whatever that is?) with a glop of A1 Original Steak sauce, season to taste. confused 

Sounds pretty straight forward. No secret herbs and spices or magic ingredients? Sure it's going to taste better than a dried out meat pattie from a burger chain because you've used better quality beef and cooked it well but I'm not anticipating any taste sensation. It's still just a ground meat pattie.
    FreakOfNature
    FreakOfNature

Post  FreakOfNature Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:36 am

Kiwigolfer wrote:Your recipe sounded pretty simple though. confused

The recipe is pretty simple, that's the point. Fast food chains don't do it that way. That was my other point.

Montreal steak spice (whatever that is?) with a glop of A1 Original Steak sauce, season to taste. confused 

Sounds pretty straight forward. No secret herbs and spices or magic ingredients? Sure it's going to taste better than a dried out meat pattie from a burger chain because you've used better quality beef and cooked it well but I'm not anticipating any taste sensation. It's still just a ground meat pattie.

Are you being serious? Montreal steak spice IS the secret ingredient. It's a mixture of herbs and spices --> Montreal Steak Spice. The glob of A1 is the magic ingredient.

Look, my point wasn't to portray a hamburger as some sort of gourmet delicacy, it was simply to illustrate how the common hamburger (BBQ or fast food versions) could be improved. FON's Guide to a Better Burger. Smile Much in the way you probably feel your chili is better than that canned stuff, or how your lasagna trumps anything you can get in the store.

I kind of figured that was appropriate and on-topic discussion since the OP was FD's opinion of the burgers at Five Guys. Of course, I also remember the discussion about when FD got his Weber BBQ and was just trolling him for a bit of well-deserved Weber BBQ worship, because Weber are THE BEST, of course. I want a Weber but I'm stuck with a Broil King... for now. His mention of the frozen Costco burgers was clearly a troll directed at me... unless he's gone off the deep end and really eats that crap. Laughing J/K, he'd be dead by now if he actually ate that stuff, obviously.

Though he probably would try to kill himself with that crap if he had to drink bourbon or Guinness. I know I would. tongue 

Don't ever change Kiwi. You're as bitter as the beer you drink.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:54 am

FreakOfNature wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:Your recipe sounded pretty simple though. confused

The recipe is pretty simple, that's the point. Fast food chains don't do it that way. That was my other point.

Are you being serious? Montreal steak spice IS the secret ingredient. It's a mixture of herbs and spices --> Montreal Steak Spice. The glob of A1 is the magic ingredient.

Look, my point wasn't to portray a hamburger as some sort of gourmet delicacy, it was simply to illustrate how the common hamburger (BBQ or fast food versions) could be improved. FON's Guide to a Better Burger. Smile Much in the way you probably feel your chili is better than that canned stuff, or how your lasagna trumps anything you can get in the store.

I kind of figured that was appropriate and on-topic discussion since the OP was FD's opinion of the burgers at Five Guys. Of course, I also remember the discussion about when FD got his Weber BBQ and was just trolling him for a bit of well-deserved Weber BBQ worship, because Weber are THE BEST, of course. I want a Weber but I'm stuck with a Broil King... for now. His mention of the frozen Costco burgers was clearly a troll directed at me... unless he's gone off the deep end and really eats that crap. Laughing J/K, he'd be dead by now if he actually ate that stuff, obviously.

Though he probably would try to kill himself with that crap if he had to drink bourbon or Guinness. I know I would. tongue 

Don't ever change Kiwi. You're as bitter as the beer you drink.

Hey that's a bit harsh. I guess the fact is I don't really like hamburger patties and only really enjoy a burger where the bun, sauces and other ingredients render the taste of the actual pattie largely irrelevant.

If I am bitter about anything it's only that it's too friggin cold to BBQ anything down here right now and you're making me jealous. Wink

BTW that Montreal steak spice does sound pretty good. Very Happy 
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:06 pm

FreakOfNature wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:We've got a couple local joints less than a mile which are better than any of the "good burger" chains like 5 Guys and Smash Burger.  I really never see the need to go the chains if I want a burger.  

FON, what do you do to your burgers?  I've done some fancy shit on the grill with burgers but they aren't great.  One ended up tasting like meatloaf, which isn't terrible, but not what I'd look for in a burger.  There is a place near me that makes burgers out of a couple ground meats mixed together.  It's OK but this isn't necessarily a good restaurant.  I'd like to try something like rib meat and a nicer cut of ground beef, but it's hard to find any place that grinds a good filet or strip.  I'm certainly not grinding my own.  

Firstly, you have to start with fresh medium ground beef - if it's been frozen beforehand then you'll be doomed from the start, as once you freeze meat you break the cell membranes and the meat loses its ability to retain moisture, and the burgers will dry out before they're finished cooking.

The next thing I do is add Montreal steak spice and a big glop of A1 Original steak sauce to the raw meat. Season to taste, it'll probably take a couple attempts to get just the right balance of each. Mash that all together really thoroughly by hand, just squish the bejeezus out of it until your hands get sore. Once that part is done, it's time to form the patties. This part is critical - you don't want to end up with meatballs or hockey pucks. Patties should be just barely thicker than 1/2", and slightly thinner toward the center. The patties will shrink up and the thickness will even out during the cooking process, so it's a good idea to make each patty a bit larger than the buns you'll be using to account for shrinkage. Something else I should mention that I often see people do is mix diced onion in with the meat. DO NOT DO THAT, EVER! It'll ruin the texture and they won't cook evenly.

I cannot overstate the importance of cooking at LOW HEAT, and never EVER squish the patties. Leave the juices in there! Another critical point is to refrain from flipping the patties any more than is necessary until they're almost ready to serve. I leave the patties until I start to see browning near the edges, then perform the first flip. Immediately following the first flip it's time to baste the cooked side of each patty. I again use a generous amount of A1 Original, and make sure it's spread evenly. Don't worry about any excess baste, that will drip off as it mixes with the juices of the meat - the main purpose of the baste is to trap the juices of the meat anyways. By trapping the juices you get a much more evenly cooked patty without any crunchy carbon bits on the outer surface.

Anyways, once the patties have browned evenly then it's time to flip them again and baste the other (dry) side. This time, you leave them cook a bit longer than the first two flips - watch for clear juices starting to mix with the baste and pooling on the upper surface of each patty, then flip for the 3rd time. Leave them just long enough for most of the excess baste to drip off, then drop the heat to minimum. At this point the patties are pretty much done and you just need to flip them a few times to knock off the last of the excess baste. At this point I usually add a few banana pepper rings and cover them with the cheese, then let the cheese melt. Ready to serve, top them however you prefer.

If you do everything just as I described, your finished product will be uniform in thickness, a juicy sheen on the surface with very few carbon bits, and they should be very tender and juicy on the inside. Congratulations, you have just completed the perfect BBQ burgers. cheers

What do you mean by "medium ground beef?" Is that fat content like 90/10 or does that refer to something else?
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:29 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    FreakOfNature wrote:

What do you mean by "medium ground beef?"  Is that fat content like 90/10 or does that refer to something else?

Medium ground beef refers to beef from a steer that was at one time able to predict the future.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:56 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    FreakOfNature wrote:

What do you mean by "medium ground beef?"  Is that fat content like 90/10 or does that refer to something else?

Medium ground beef refers to beef from a steer that was at one time able to predict the future.

I went to Costco the other day and bought the pre-packaged and marinated tri tip. I barbecued it and it tasted fabulouso! I also 'cued some peppers and corn and it was the bees knees. I'm telling you, I'm a great outdoor chef.

Didn't some other jackarse come on here and say that you should cook burgers on warm heat? WTF? Everyone knows when you first throw meat onto a barbecue it should be somewhere around 400 to 450 degrees. That way you singe the outside and keep the juices in. It is only after singing that you may decide to use indirect or low heat.

I think this same jokester talked about A1 sauce and some other common brand as if he found some kind of secret recipe. I bet he's the only one who likes his burgers.

If you ask me, this guy simply doesn't own a barbecue that's capable of high heat. I bought an expensive Webber, not one of those cheap gizmos from Home Depot.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:40 pm

FamousDavis wrote: I bought an expensive Webber, not one of those cheap gizmos from Home Depot.  

I still have my almost 20-yr old Webber (don't remember the model but it has 'red' lid).... replaced the 5-V metal bars inside to cook evenly, the starter has been long gone but who cares, I just use a hand-held flame starter
    Attachments
    Five Guys Burgers AttachmentFJ0ZUWGGUYMFX8I.LARGE.jpg
    You don't have permission to download attachments.
    (17 Kb) Downloaded 2 times
    FreakOfNature
    FreakOfNature

Post  FreakOfNature Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:27 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:Hey that's a bit harsh. I guess the fact is I don't really like hamburger patties and only really enjoy a burger where the bun, sauces and other ingredients render the taste of the actual pattie largely irrelevant.

If I am bitter about anything it's only that it's too friggin cold to BBQ anything down here right now and you're making me jealous. Wink

BTW that Montreal steak spice does sound pretty good. Very Happy 

Not trying to be harsh so much as just trolling a bit and trying to make a joke. Laughing 

I sort of figured you were a bit indifferent when it came to hamburgers. Hey, we like what we like. Taste is just one of those things. I personally can't stand fish. Doesn't matter what kind of fish, how it's prepared, or how well it's prepared... I just can't swallow it. Gags me every time - but it wasn't always like that. When I was young I could eat it, but being from Nova Scotia and having lots of relatives who were fishermen, it was what my parents mostly put on the table, due to it being available and cheap (due to family discounts and whatnot). I ate so much fish growing up that I can hardly stand the smell of it now.

BTW, you need to re-learn BBQ rule #1 - It's never too cold to BBQ. I've grilled at -10C wearing gloves and a parka. However, we've been having the opposite problem from yours recently as it's been too hot and humid to BBQ over the past few weeks.

On a serious note, if you eat beef regularly you should look into procuring some Montreal Steak Spice, if you can get it in your part of the world. You have to try it to believe it, it really does wonders. It's not even an acquired taste - you'll begin to wonder how you ever ate beef without it.
    FreakOfNature
    FreakOfNature

Post  FreakOfNature Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:51 pm

Horseballs wrote:What do you mean by "medium ground beef?"  Is that fat content like 90/10 or does that refer to something else?

It's the rough estimation of fat content. Where I shop we have 3 common grades of ground beef - regular, medium, and lean. Lean tends to end up really dry unless you really know how to fuss over it. Medium is a bit more forgiving, but still not going to produce instant cardiopulmonary repercussions. Regular is basically lard with meat bits added for color.

Lorenzzo wrote:Medium ground beef refers to beef from a steer that was at one time able to predict the future.

Laughing  That's hilarious.
    Cow : "I'm feeling like a hamburger. Maybe a couple steaks too."

Of course it could also be interpreted to mean beef that was ground by a butcher who can predict the future.
    Butcher : "Gonna grill some burgers tonight?"
    Me : "Holy shit! It's like you can predict the future! How are my burgers gonna turn out?"
    Butcher : "Tender, juicy, and delicious."
    Me : "From this day forward, I use only medium ground beef."
    FreakOfNature
    FreakOfNature

Post  FreakOfNature Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:17 am

FamousDavis wrote:I went to Costco the other day and bought the pre-packaged and marinated tri tip.   I barbecued it and it tasted fabulouso!   I also 'cued some peppers and corn and it was the bees knees.  I'm telling you, I'm a great outdoor chef.

It would have never occurred to me to BBQ a TV dinner. Very creative, I'm kind of impressed. Razz 

Didn't some other jackarse come on here and say that you should cook burgers on warm heat?   WTF?  Everyone knows when you first throw meat onto a barbecue it should be somewhere around 400 to 450 degrees.  That way you singe the outside and keep the juices in.  It is only after singing that you may decide to use indirect or low heat.

Commonly perpetuated myth. The only way to trap moisture in meat is with more moisture, and by avoiding evaporating the existing moisture away too quickly. Searing your meat will only make it dry and tough, quickly.

I think this same jokester talked about A1 sauce and some other common brand as if he found some kind of secret recipe.  I bet he's the only one who likes his burgers.

If you ask me, this guy simply doesn't own a barbecue that's capable of high heat.  I bought an expensive Webber, not one of those cheap gizmos from Home Depot.  

So instead of using A1 I'm supposed to what, make my own BBQ sauce from scratch? Ain't nobody got time for that! Pretty rich statement coming from a guy who eats frozen pre-marinated steak that comes out of a box and burgers rolled off an assembly line. On the subject of the BBQ - don't you be dissin' the Broil King, you Weber snob. Laughing Maybe someday soon you'll discover the reason each burner has a knob instead of a toggle switch, Mr. Max Heat. Razz
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:44 am

I'm going to divulge one of the easiest secrets to a great hamburger.
    Toast the damn bun with a smidge of mayonnaise.
    I made some fresh green beans, and grilled some fresh corn on the cob, on a weber of course, burgers were sirloin, almost no grease, marinated in a sauce called Dales, stupid simple, I like to usually put some minced garlic on mine, I didn't last night, a wedge of sharp cheddar cheese done.
    Bon appetit
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:09 pm

I just made some angus beef ribeye steaks, I marinated in a Asian soy based sauce, rubbed the steak with a Monterey rub, roasted garlic, and red bell pepper, is what makes this seasoning, it would be wonderful on burgers.
    White mushroom, with some onion, a splash of red wine I was drinking, Cabernet Sauvignon by Hess, olive oil, a tiny bit of minced garlic..
    Baked potato, on the grill, sour cream, butter, romaine lettuce salad, with a Ceasars dressing, asiago cheese, a little tomato.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Five Guys Burgers Empty Five Guys Update and Review

Post  FamousDavis Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:52 pm

I have now taken my family to 5 guys on two separate occasions. I will break down this review in different parts so that anyone who's curious can focus on what is most important to them in a hamburger joint.

Ambiance: Perfect. This is what I like a hamburger place to look like. White tile, fiberglass red booths, clean, shiny and the employees are clean cut, happy, energetic. Outside seating is very nice.

Food: Good but greasy. The burgers are good but they are too big. You feel kind of gross afterward. The fries are not that good and they give you too much of them. I am not of the opinion that more food is better nor am I looking for giant portions when I eat out. I thought the fries were sort of soft and too greasy. I'd give the food a B rating.

Cost: Way too expensive. I took my two kids there and got two mini burgers, one regular burger, a large fry and it cost me $22. We didn't even order drinks but instead drank water. That's pretty high.

Convenience: It takes way too long to get your food at this place. It's too much of a quick serve place to wait that long. It's not like you go in, get seated and then a waiter takes your order. You get in line and order your food and the amount of time we waited started to wear on us. Nobody wants to stand around that long for that kind of food.

In short, I give this place an overall B- rating. The food is good but not great. Wait is too long and it's too expensive. In & Out Burger is better for the money and the experience is about the same. I still say In & Out fries suck. Steak & Shake is better too.

Chef Le Famoose' signing out. Five Guys Burgers Smiley-eatdrink061
    jmtbkr
    jmtbkr

Post  jmtbkr Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:15 pm

Just as I had told you that 5 guys was all greasburger......

and I bet you wished you still were hitting those X20's (like I told you!)

jocolor jocolor jocolor 

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:48 am