The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

5 posters

Tour Caliber Customs

Hubijerk
    Hubijerk

Tour Caliber Customs Empty Tour Caliber Customs

Post  Hubijerk Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:56 pm

I'm in the market for a set of MP-69's and some Mizzy wedges, I have particular specs that I want and, like most people I don't want to pay a dime more than I have to, especially since no fitting is needed, I know the specs, I just need someone to place the order. My TPC has no relationship with Mizuno and none of the tour pro's that are members there play Mizzy.... Had I wanted a set of Nike's or Titleist's it would be much easier, but alas, I want the 69's.

So I found an ebay store/seller called Tour Caliber Customs, I sent a message via an auction post outlining exactly what I wanted, and I got a response with a very good price, 250$ cheaper than the big retail stores in my area which charge full retail. The guy emails me back and tells me to contact him through his gmail, while this is somewhat dubious I understand the plight of the small business and if I can save this guy a few bucks in Ebay fees so be it, I have no problem, afterall he gave me a good price.

He asks me to re-email my specs and then proceeds to quote me a new price that's almost 400$ more than his initial price. He ends the email by saying I sent him different specs in the initial message (which I did not) and that this is the best price in the country. The problem is his new price is more than what I was quoted by the major golf retailers here in Vegas. When I informed him of this, and told him that I would not be ordering the clubs from him he sent a belligerent email saying I was full of sh*t and didn't know what I was talking about.

I'm not going to go through the trouble of posting the emails, but I encourage caution when dealing with this character as he didn't bother to take the time to give me an accurate quote (or was deliberately pulling a switcharoo) and then got mad at me when he changed the deal and I declined to do business with him.

-John
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Tour Caliber Customs Empty Re: Tour Caliber Customs

Post  Mongrel Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:32 pm

If you are pissed off enough at him, you might want to notify Ebay about his attempt to circumvent their fees.
    Hubijerk
    Hubijerk

Post  Hubijerk Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:54 pm

I will be notifying ebay, I gave the guy an opportunity to apologize and he did not... It's not just that I'm pissed at him, I'm pissed at the general trend of businesses like this, and while I'm not deliberately trying to hurt this guy's business, I do want others to be aware of his behavior and that he may possibly be a shyster at worst, and unprofessional at best.

I have had great dealings with some online retailers, afterall we are all being driven there as small golf shops close and Golf Galaxy's and Dick's move in. Global Golf was a good online seller, there was an issue and one of their reps went out of their way to make it right, but if I have beef with one I'm going to let people know about it because that's the only defense we've got against shady internet characters. If I can find something at a smaller online seller for a competetive price I'd rather give them the business, provided they value it.

-John
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:23 pm

Out of curiosity, what are the specs that your wanting? Sounds interesting.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:05 am

Is this guy out of Illinois?  He sounds very familiar to Brian Meyer at BHM Golf.  Spank, Zo and I had a bit of fun with this guy a few years back.  I've never been called a fuckface through email before, and it was very rewarding.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:27 am

12pierogi wrote:Out of curiosity, what are the specs that your wanting? Sounds interesting.

That was one of my questions, too. I can't imagine there would be many options other than the lie, loft and weight specs. And if you wanted some changes to sole grinds, you'd have to find someone outside of the factory to do them unless you are Luke Donald or Charles Howell III. As far as shaft types, lengths and grips, I believe that Mizuno irons are typically shipped with uncut shaft butts and no grips allowing the end retailers to custom fit their customers. So if you want only the heads to install cusstom shafts not offered by the maker, you'll just have to pull whatever comes in them. Not a real big deal but certainly more expensive than the bone stock clubs.

So the bottom line is that he might be better off money-wise to buy a used set of 69's off Ebay and have them tuned to his specs.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:43 am

Kind of what I was thinking Mongrel. But we have a top Mizuno fitter down the road a few miles. I use them mainly for loft and lie correction.

I have been blessed with a few sets of Mizunos in the box, every set left the factory 1/2" over, which never bothered me. What's up with that?
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:01 am

There is some confusion over what constitutes a standard length for a Mizuno iron. If you investigate the published specs, you will find that the Mizuno lengths appear to be 1/4" short of most other iron manufacturers... I.e., the Mizuno 5 iron standard is 37.75" while the Titleist is 38" et cet. Now there have been explanations that the Mizuno length specs are for ungripped shafts and the typical grip adds a quarter of an inch to the playing length. If anyone can feel the difference, step right up to claim your prize.

So shipping them with 1/2" over shafts with no grips makes sense because it is a lot quicker and cheaper to cut a little bit of butt off than it is to re-shaft or add a shaft extension. Also I have read that Mizuno makes diffferent weight heads with the heavier ones for standard to shorter lengths and a bit lighter heads to over-length specs in order to keep the swingweights within a narrow range.

Boy do I wish I had a good Mizuno fitter close to me. I need to get the lies checked on the MX 25's I just got but dread going into the Golf Galaxy because their guy is not always there and when he is, he can be a real p#ssy about doing more than one club at a time.
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:17 am

I know that feeling of dread, I kind of put off having my sh!t adjusted as they had a big shakeup of all the employees, and everyone's a little new to me.
    I usually have my junk checked or adjusted 1 degree flat, and maybe 1 degree strong, if its a 46 degree head, as my gap wedge is a 50.
    Simple if you know what your doing, if not, you can really screw the pooch.
    They have some pretty cool tools, for really getting into other aspects, but most of them in the past claim its smoke and mirrors. Getting swingweight correct may not be, but most of the time it's close in a set from Mizuno.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:26 pm

Horseballs wrote:Is this guy out of Illinois?  He sounds very familiar to Brian Meyer at BHM Golf.  Spank, Zo and I had a bit of fun with this guy a few years back.  I've never been called a fuckface through email before, and it was very rewarding.

Exactly what I was thinking.
    Hubijerk
    Hubijerk

Post  Hubijerk Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:51 pm

specs are not exotic, just the shafts really...

3-pw mp69 std loft, lie, length.  DG tour issue x100
    t4 54-09 s400 tour. std. length, lie
    r12 60-05 s400 tour. std. length, lie

all gripped with gp new decade dual blk/wht standard with 1 extra wrap

I may have a guy out here grind the bounce down more on the lobber but it's a simple order.

-John
    12pierogi
    12pierogi

Post  12pierogi Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Hubijerk wrote:specs are not exotic, just the shafts really...

3-pw mp69 std loft, lie, length.  DG tour issue x100
    t4 54-09 s400 tour. std. length, lie
    r12 60-05 s400 tour. std. length, lie

all gripped with gp new decade dual blk/wht standard with 1 extra wrap

I may have a guy out here grind the bounce down more on the lobber but it's a simple order.

-John

First thing we need to know in order to process this order is, how far at sea level do you normally hit your 7 iron?
    Hubijerk
    Hubijerk

Post  Hubijerk Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:03 pm

? I wasn't aware we were processing any orders...  Easy 7 iron is 175 at sea level 185 out here in Vegas...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 7:12 am