The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+7
Kiwigolfer
Pky6471
Poe4soul
Fluffy
FamousDavis
Mongrel
Notagroundhogday
11 posters

Anchored putting

Notagroundhogday
    Notagroundhogday

Anchored putting Empty Anchored putting

Post  Notagroundhogday Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:16 pm

Its been awhile I was recently released from Joliette prison an saw GR is in shambles. Logged on here. Anyway the PGA tour isn't going to toe the line in relation to long putters. I personally believe that if they were going to ban them it should of happened 40 years ago. If anchor putting was such an advantage everyone would be using the style.

GHD

p.s. My new meds have helped Evil or Very Mad
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Anchored putting Empty Re: Anchored putting

Post  Mongrel Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:31 pm

I never liked those long putters. One of the Informed Talking Heads on the Golf Channel this afternoon was prattling on about 20% of all amateur male golfers used them. I think that statistic was made up by the Feeble Stick Lobby, Webb Simpson and Bangladesh Bradley, co-chairmen. The roving club group I play with has about 65 members, more than half over 50 and a quarter or more who are aging farts over 60 like myself. No one in my club uses a belly putter or anchored stroke. I've never seen anyone else on any of the courses we play use them. Now maybe in the protected bastions that are private country clubs, a few old snarkers hobble around on them. I've seen them in the golf gear stores. Mostly with deeply discounted tags on them. Even if they help a lot, I would never use one because I still have a bit of pride of appearance and movements whilst in golfing mode and I think people using those things look like total assholes. Of course if they are single or more amputees, that's a different story.
    Notagroundhogday
    Notagroundhogday

Post  Notagroundhogday Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:28 pm

Mostly German wrote:I never liked those long putters. One of the Informed Talking Heads on the Golf Channel this afternoon was prattling on about 20% of all amateur male golfers used them. I think that statistic was made up by the Feeble Stick Lobby, Webb Simpson and Bangladesh Bradley, co-chairmen. The roving club group I play with has about 65 members, more than half over 50 and a quarter or more who are aging farts over 60 like myself. No one in my club uses a belly putter or anchored stroke. I've never seen anyone else on any of the courses we play use them. Now maybe in the protected bastions that are private country clubs, a few old snarkers hobble around on them. I've seen them in the golf gear stores. Mostly with deeply discounted tags on them. Even if they help a lot, I would never use one because I still have a bit of pride of appearance and movements whilst in golfing mode and I think people using those things look like total assholes. Of course if they are single or more amputees, that's a different story.

Exactly no one really got there panties in wad until a couple of majors were won using the putter. Now due to the big deal being made about them there popularity will take off. The putting stroke isn't anything like the golf swing. so the stroke argument does not hold water. I say relax stop hyperventilating and use what legally works for you

GHD
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:00 am

I've played with a range of golfers of different abilities who use belly or long putters. I've only played with a few that used the belly putter. All of the long putter guys used them because they had lost their strokes or had the yips. One guy is a 2 handicap who wouldn't be near that good with a standard putter. For me, I simply don't like seeing the long putter on the tour. In my own play with amateurs, I could really care less. On the tour, though, I just don't like the way it looks. I think it takes away from the tradition of the game and makes watching golf on TV less enjoyable. I'm not sure why that is but I feel it every time I see on on TV.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:47 am

Anchoring was banned....not the long putter...

So basically the players using the longer putters can have their yips with that one now.

Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:25 am

I'll give the older guys who have suffered injuries or have neurological symptoms that cause twitching when addressing a putt. But to raise children to play golf using long putters is just child abuse.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:45 am

I have to announce....Ive tried using a belly/long putter in the golf shops before,anchored it feels alot more difficult to controll a shoulder-dependant stroke with the club.

I am such a golfing noob I cant hit the easiest putter in the world....Give me a blade and I'd slice a line anywhere and anyway you want it to go...
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:59 am

Notagroundhogday wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:I never liked those long putters. One of the Informed Talking Heads on the Golf Channel this afternoon was prattling on about 20% of all amateur male golfers used them. I think that statistic was made up by the Feeble Stick Lobby, Webb Simpson and Bangladesh Bradley, co-chairmen. The roving club group I play with has about 65 members, more than half over 50 and a quarter or more who are aging farts over 60 like myself. No one in my club uses a belly putter or anchored stroke. I've never seen anyone else on any of the courses we play use them. Now maybe in the protected bastions that are private country clubs, a few old snarkers hobble around on them. I've seen them in the golf gear stores. Mostly with deeply discounted tags on them. Even if they help a lot, I would never use one because I still have a bit of pride of appearance and movements whilst in golfing mode and I think people using those things look like total assholes. Of course if they are single or more amputees, that's a different story.

Exactly no one really got there panties in wad until a couple of majors were won using the putter. Now due to the big deal being made about them there popularity will take off. The putting stroke isn't anything like the golf swing. so the stroke argument does not hold water. I say relax stop hyperventilating and use what legally works for you

GHD

I think that is one of the arguments, a anchored stroke is not like a golf swing.

I thought the same thing about the 20% statistic. That's one in five golfers use a long putter. I can't remember the last time I saw someone using a long putter in a round. I take that back, I was paired with one guy. No where near 20%.

Personally I really don't care. I've never even had a desire to pick one up. Here's my b!tch. That club should not be allowed to be used lengths in drops of penalties or relief except on the green or in the frog's hair. I get a person being 150 yards out and arguing they would take a driver. Driver would be stupid but it is a viable club choice. But your 150 yards out and you honestly expect me to believe you plan on playing a 50" putter. That's really stretching the rules and I don't think it is in the spirit of the game.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:12 pm

They should have set a maximum standard length for Golf equipment, just like they set the max COR and 460cc for club head. Like in tennis, they have set a maximum length of a tennis racket, i.e. they could increase the size of the tennis head but total length is fixed... again, Anchoring was banned....not the long putter.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:46 pm

The long putter does seem to be a crutch for the poor putters on tour. Adam Scott is a good example. Given his exemplary ball striking you'd expect him to have won a lot more golf tournaments but for his poor putting. He puts a broomstick in the bag and starts doing much better. Maybe the powers that be felt the need to nip it in the bud before the long putter became mainstream for junior up and comers.

I've seen very few golfers play them but of the ones I have seen they are usually pretty old guys who have the shakes and would give the game away altogether if they had to use a short putter. If it keeps these guys playing the game I'm all for it.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:11 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:The long putter does seem to be a crutch for the poor putters on tour. Adam Scott is a good example. Given his exemplary ball striking you'd expect him to have won a lot more golf tournaments but for his poor putting. He puts a broomstick in the bag and starts doing much better. Maybe the powers that be felt the need to nip it in the bud before the long putter became mainstream for junior up and comers.

I've seen very few golfers play them but of the ones I have seen they are usually pretty old guys who have the shakes and would give the game away altogether if they had to use a short putter. If it keeps these guys playing the game I'm all for it.
    Wrong about Adam Scott. His better play is due to Stevie being on the bag.
    I honestly have never played against anyone using an anchored putter who could putt worth a damn. Without exception, they have been horrible with putting, even with some stupid looking putter jammed in their gut. What I hate to see are the high school kids using anchored strokes. The back room deal with these belly putters has been as a last resort after all other methods have been attempted. Half of the team that practices at my course uses a belly putter. Without shame.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:52 pm

I would go so far as to say that I begin disliking someone who uses a belly or long putter. Once I see the belly or long putter in their hands I immediately begin to distrust them and think they'd cheat in other ways as well, if given the chance.

It's similar to the person who's become a fat slob and goes to the amusement park and rents one of those scooters. They get to go to the front of all the lines to get on the rides and they don't think twice about it. They are within the parks rules but they are breaking society's rules of fairness.

So keep this in mind chump. If you use belly putters, long putters or have purchased a scooter at the Scooter Store, we're on to you. We know your game. You like shortcuts to get what you need. You're willing to walk onto a golf course and tarnish the sanctity of the game. How dare you.

Time to man up and put your man card back in your wallet. Tell your wife who's boss and get with the program you big sissy. Put that broom you call a putter back in the closet where it belongs.
    emmanmin

Post  emmanmin Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:20 am

Mostly German wrote:I'll give the older guys who have suffered injuries or have neurological symptoms that cause twitching when addressing a putt. But to raise children to play golf using long putters is just child abuse.

I guess this makes it ok for Keegan Bradley Twisted Evil
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:53 pm

Tiger and Rory are both against long putters. I like Rory's statement that the R&A and the USGA are the ones that have been the ruling body for a long effin time. Even tho I don't agree with all of their rules it is what it is. Not how the PGA wants to do it.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:56 pm

I think from looking at my username it is quite obvious which side of the fence I sit on in this, but for the record anyway I think this ban is long overdue and the sooner we weed out these non purist hackers from the professional tours the better. People can bang on all they like about whether or not it provides an unfair advantage, but IMO that is not the crux of the matter. Statistics are useless in these situations as they can be manipulated to support any argument, but if we take away the 'it provides an advantage' argument for a moment and look at it from a pure golf perspective it is is a no brainer. For every other shot in golf the only part of the body allowed to touch the club is the hands, the ability to control the movement ov a free hinging club is one of the intracacies of the game and is a skill that separates the players from the hackers. By allowing these bums to remove that skill by adding a fixed fulcrum is straight out cheating, no matter what the rules makers say. Not to mention the benefit of an emotional crutch these monstrosities provide.

And in any case, if they really want to see if these things provide an advantage, don't go delving into complicated statistics on putts per round or putts inside 10 feet or other BS. Just look at the before and after careers of long time players who have switched. Adam Scott would be a great test case.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:17 pm