The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+2
Olderplayer
Playa Hata
6 posters

Need a new driver

Playa Hata
    Playa Hata

Need a new driver Empty Need a new driver

Post  Playa Hata Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:33 pm

My brother-in-law just got a new RBZ for Christmas and for the first time he's hitting them past my drives. Naturally, I will have none of this and need to step up my driver game with new equipment as well. As mentioned in another thread, I think my R7 with Proto VS stiff flex is a bad match for my slower swing speed. I think I need a regular flex shaft that plays on the stiffer side with a hot, yet forgiving faced head. I've seen you guys mention some Ping (G10 or G15?) drivers in the past. As usual, I'm not interested in having the latest and greatest on the market, but would prefer something I can pick up used for about $100 or less. Any suggestions to help narrow my search?
    Olderplayer
    Olderplayer

Need a new driver Empty Re: Need a new driver

Post  Olderplayer Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:07 pm

Playa Hata wrote:My brother-in-law just got a new RBZ for Christmas and for the first time he's hitting them past my drives. Naturally, I will have none of this and need to step up my driver game with new equipment as well. As mentioned in another thread, I think my R7 with Proto VS stiff flex is a bad match for my slower swing speed. I think I need a regular flex shaft that plays on the stiffer side with a hot, yet forgiving faced head. I've seen you guys mention some Ping (G10 or G15?) drivers in the past. As usual, I'm not interested in having the latest and greatest on the market, but would prefer something I can pick up used for about $100 or less. Any suggestions to help narrow my search?
    The G20 is very long with the right shaft. Now that the G25 is on the way they can be had for no more than $150.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:30 pm

Olderplayer wrote:
    The G20 is very long with the right shaft. Now that the G25 is on the way they can be had for no more than $150.

OP... U said the key word here: correct shaft and that's a challenge to find the correct shaft that gives us the max SS at the point of impact and square the club face for max distance... I've been searching for the scientific code and have not found it yet. Pros have the advantage that club makers go thru a lot of trial-n-error with them, no wonder why they can hit so straight and so far
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:36 pm

Here are the longest drivers I've tried:

Ping G15 Driver with Aldila Serrano Stiff shaft, 9.5 Degrees

Titleist 983e 8.5 with Aldila NV-65 Stiff.

Titleist 905R 8.5 with Fit On 1.1 Stiff.

Taylormade Tour Burner TP 8.5 Driver. 2008 model.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:29 pm

Anyone of the three Titleist 909 models. I like my DComp with the VooDoo RSV6 regular flex I put in it. A couple of summers ago when I decided to get back into golf I realized that there was a Golf Galaxy store eight miles from my home and I went in there and paid them $31 for a driver shaft fitting. I was playing a Titleist 905T 10.5* at that time with a YS-6+ regular flex shaft in it at 45"--the factory set-up-- and hit it well but wanted to see if I could get more(not real unusual, is it?). So the GG Guy put me in a stall with a good launch monitor and gave me what I think was a 10.5* 909 D2. He claimed that it was the closest in characteristics to my 905T. The 909 head had a quick-fit hosel that let him switch shafts in less than a minute so I hit a whole bunch of balls with about all the different Tit shafts except the Exotics. Blueboards, YS's, V2's, VooDoos, etc. They had about each different shaft in regular and stiff flexes and in various playing lengths. Although I lost the multi-page computer print-out, I remember that the longest carry distances were with a VooDoo regular flex at 44.5" which is why I put one in my 909 D Comp. When I did that fitting, I intended to buy a shaft from them and have them put it in the 905R I'd just got off Ebay. Since the VooDoo shaft was $299 at that time, I opted for a V2 75 in regular flex for the 905R. Recently I found a real VooDoo regular not made for Titleist for $15 that was a clean, untipped pull. Sometimes it pays to wait.

Look on Ebay or in the used bins and you will find all the 909 drivers for under $100. If you can find the center face of a driver with regularity, you will not be disappointed. By the way, my best carry in that fiting was with a swing speed of around 93 MPH, a launch angle around 16*, and a carry of 248 yards. Not bad for an arthritic 63 year old.
    Playa Hata
    Playa Hata

Post  Playa Hata Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:41 pm

Thanks, fellas. This is a good start for my ebay pillage and plunder.
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Post  Fluffy Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:44 am

Olderplayer wrote:
    Playa Hata wrote:My brother-in-law just got a new RBZ for Christmas and for the first time he's hitting them past my drives. Naturally, I will have none of this and need to step up my driver game with new equipment as well. As mentioned in another thread, I think my R7 with Proto VS stiff flex is a bad match for my slower swing speed. I think I need a regular flex shaft that plays on the stiffer side with a hot, yet forgiving faced head. I've seen you guys mention some Ping (G10 or G15?) drivers in the past. As usual, I'm not interested in having the latest and greatest on the market, but would prefer something I can pick up used for about $100 or less. Any suggestions to help narrow my search?

The G20 is by far the longest and easiest to hit club on the market. The shaft offerings are:
    Standard 169D & Tour 169D shafts each in R,S,X.6 different shafts for choosing your liking...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 4:47 pm