The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+6
jt1135
Kiwigolfer
Horseballs
Golfaholic
Mongrel
Lorenzzo
10 posters

What Did You Get For Christmas?

Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

What Did You Get For Christmas?   Empty What Did You Get For Christmas?

Post  Lorenzzo Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:06 pm

rendeer santa rendeer

I received my first X-Mas gift last night -- an X-Box 360. Just what I always wanted. These days male college students have game consoles in their dorm rooms. This is a sad fact requiring acceptance. During break some of them want to play games in my HT. This then was passive aggressiveness/generous aggressiveness through gift giving.

I'm told I'll like it too so I might as well give it a try. These kids are fun to hang with. They seek me out because in many ways my house is kind of like the ideal dorm room. I let then do their thing even if it stinks up the house a little although they usually do it outside.

Some of the kids bring groceries and look for pointers. They think having skill in this area will increase their luck with the other gender. I realized I may be something of a role model.

So...what did you get?

What did you want?
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

What Did You Get For Christmas?   Empty Re: What Did You Get For Christmas?

Post  Mongrel Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:25 pm

A set of Cobra FP II cast stainless steel cavity-back irons, 4 through gap wedge, with Aldila VS Proto By You regular flex shafts. All lengths are a bit over factory spec so I pulled the original grips off both the gap wedge and 4 iron, cut their butts to play at spec, and re-gripped them. I must confess to cheating on my wife who bought them for me for Christmas by taking most of them out to hit one or two at a time so she wouldn't notice. The factory grips are these weird Golf Pride rubber grips with what must be a proprietary pattern and a rib at the bottom. Eventually, they will all come off and all their little butts will probably be trimmed some.

And I got a trip to Florida in February so I can go play some golf with my wife's elderly uncles. Haven't been down there in several years.

I asked Santa earlier for a new car and a stiffer dick but think those two will be victims of that fiscal cliff up at the North Pole.
    Golfaholic

Post  Golfaholic Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:24 pm

Picked up my new iPhone 5 yesterday while I'm visiting family on Holiday Leave. So glad to get rid of that HTC Android junk. This was a gift from myself to myself, so I wasn't surprised!

I also have 15 dozen Nike balls in the mail, but I'm not classifying that as an Xmas gift!
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:57 pm

I don't want to jinx anything with the Mayans, but it looks like Christmas may happen after all. I don't really care what I receive. Christmas is about kids and/or Jesus depending upon your beliefs. I got my 4 year old an outdoor playset. Not swings and shit, but a little fort. Looks like it would be fun. The 1 year old is getting a bunch of stuff he's not going to care about. Remotes, phones, ipads, and other stuff he's not supposed to play with will likely remain his main source of entertainment. I got the wife an SLR camera, some Lululemon gear (total ripoff, but she's into it), and some other little stuff.

Everyone, have a Merry Christmas. Special thanks to FD for giving us this new site.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:29 pm

Merry Xmas to you too HB. Your 4 year old is at that magical age where Santa is real. Funny about the 1 year old really not knowing what's going on but lapping it up anyway.

And agree, thanks FD. Good job mate.

To me Xmas is all about about family time and kids. However my nephews just want the latest, greatest and most expensive Playstation games. Violent shoot em up type games too. We spend Xmas at the beach since it is summer here so I don't think they should be playing freakin Playstation at the beach. I would rather get them some outdoor sports gear we can use at the beach. What should I do? Give in and get them the Playstation games or be Mr Grinch?

BTW one of them is also an ungrateful little sh*t and thinks his Uncle is an unlimited source of money. I've been reasonably generous in the past now he's just come to expect to get anything he asks for. So do I suck up to him by getting the new PS3 game or disappoint him with something he would just expect his parents to get him?
    jt1135
    jt1135

Post  jt1135 Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:34 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:Merry Xmas to you too HB. Your 4 year old is at that magical age where Santa is real. Funny about the 1 year old really not knowing what's going on but lapping it up anyway.

To me Xmas is all about about family time and kids. However my nephews just want the latest, greatest and most expensive Playstation games. Violent shoot em up type games too. We spend Xmas at the beach since it is summer here so I don't think they should be playing freakin Playstation at the beach. I would rather get them some outdoor sports gear we can use at the beach. What should I do? Give in and get them the Playstation games or be Mr Grinch?

BTW one of them is also an ungrateful little sh*t and thinks his Uncle is an unlimited source of money. I've been reasonably generous in the past now he's just come to expect to get anything he asks for. So do I suck up to him by getting the new PS3 game or disappoint him with something he would just expect his parents to get him?

Disappoint the little bastard. Tell him you started a savings account and threw in 50 bucks.
    Poe4soul
    Poe4soul

Post  Poe4soul Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:49 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:Merry Xmas to you too HB. Your 4 year old is at that magical age where Santa is real. Funny about the 1 year old really not knowing what's going on but lapping it up anyway.

I cut my niece and nephew off when they stopped being grateful or was it when the parents suggested I get them a gift card? Probably a little of both. They were all in their early teens and spoiled enough to not notice much.

You should get him what you would like to give him as a gift. Go with your gut. It's usually right.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:24 pm

jt1135 wrote:

Disappoint the little bastard. Tell him you started a savings account and threw in 50 bucks.

That's a little harsh. For a four year old, I would think something like a basic science kit might be entertaining AND educational. I remember when I was very young and received one of those kits that had a magnafying glass. I was entertained for hours looking at normal objects under magnification. And then an older cousin introduced me to the magic created by combining said magnifying glass with the sun. The first time I produced a smoking hole in a fallen leaf was absolutely orgiastic. Many fires ensured and woe be to the insect too slow to avoid the concentrated beam of my magnifying glass.
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:47 pm

We don't buy anything special... My X-mas gift is retiring on June 30 and a trip to Aussie in Sept of 2013.
    I am negotiating with a seller on eBay to buy a good used Callay FT-i Squareway 3W. I currently have a Squareway 5W and it's very very reliable, so I am hoping that the 3W of same model would be as reliable. Once U can go beyond the square-headed look it's a good club
    FreakOfNature
    FreakOfNature

Post  FreakOfNature Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:43 am

Before you fling too much feces all over your nephew's parade...

Imagine being confronted with the choice of getting a couple dozen new pair of underwear - something you probably need and would appreciate, but would prefer to buy for yourself. Underwear are boring. Not fun at all. OR you could choose a dozen new golf balls of your favorite brand and a new driver, with a complementary round at an exclusive local course - a package deal of luxuries.

I'm not even going to ask you which you'd choose. The luxuries over the necessities - every damned time. So ease up on the kid a bit.

A Playstation game costs less than a round of golf, and a round of golf is over in 4-5 hours. A good video game will provide them with 100's of hours of entertainment, far more entertainment value/dollar spent. You're not their parent - you don't have to worry about how much time they're allowed to spend sitting on their asses playing the game you bought them as a gift. That's their parents' problem. You get a chance to get them exactly what they want for very little cash and be the "cool" uncle. Let their parents be the bad guys.

However... (you knew this part was coming) if you're going to be spending time at the beach with the kids - don't expect them to glue themselves to that game you bought them. Kids aren't THAT dumb, they'll know the beach provides them with an opportunity to do other fun stuff. Heck, they may even want to do some of that stuff with their "cool" uncle. Wink

Either way - don't sweat it. Just make sure you let their parents raise them. That's their job, not yours. You're an uncle, just be a friend and offer sage advice - they'll respect both you and what you say a lot more. They'll grow up soon enough, and once they do - THAT will be your chance to nurture them.
    FreakOfNature
    FreakOfNature

Post  FreakOfNature Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:53 am

Mostly German wrote:That's a little harsh. For a four year old, I would think something like a basic science kit might be entertaining AND educational. I remember when I was very young and received one of those kits that had a magnafying glass. I was entertained for hours looking at normal objects under magnification. And then an older cousin introduced me to the magic created by combining said magnifying glass with the sun. The first time I produced a smoking hole in a fallen leaf was absolutely orgiastic. Many fires ensured and woe be to the insect too slow to avoid the concentrated beam of my magnifying glass.

Did we share the same childhood? That reads almost exactly as I would have written it (minus the typo on the word "magnifying" Razz ).

My childhood home was basically located on a giant anthill. I learned to cook when I was about 4. I roasted hundreds of thousands of ants with concentrated sunshine. I can still remember the smell of smoldering ants. Man, that takes me back. Smile
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:17 am

Mostly German wrote:

That's a little harsh. For a four year old, I would think something like a basic science kit might be entertaining AND educational. I remember when I was very young and received one of those kits that had a magnafying glass. I was entertained for hours looking at normal objects under magnification. And then an older cousin introduced me to the magic created by combining said magnifying glass with the sun. The first time I produced a smoking hole in a fallen leaf was absolutely orgiastic. Many fires ensured and woe be to the insect too slow to avoid the concentrated beam of my magnifying glass.

You guys/girls/AC-DC were "lucky" to be born in the western world... I got sh$$$$t when I was young, what's fascinating me was playing with "mercury" (back then they used mercury in a thermometer)and we had fun touching it with bare fingers and it split into a few small droplets... Is it fun or what....

Of course, no one told us how dangerous it could be playing with mercury back then....

Last edited by Pky6471 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:18 am

Pky6471 wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:

You guys/girls/AC-DC were "lucky" to be born in the western world... I got sh$$$$t when I was young, what's fascinating me was playing with "mercury" (back then they used mercury in a thermometer)and we had fun touching it with bare fingers and it split into a few small droplets... Is it fun or what....

When you are really young, the simplest things can be more entertaining and instructive than the expensive factory-made toys. I too had good quality time with mercury, also known as "quick silver", when I'd find an old rusted thermometer and break the glass tube to set that nifty liquid free. Of course you know that when you touch it, it is really poisonous. My father would never allow me to have toy guns so I made my own from sticks and certain tree branches. They worked as well as the other kids' real toy guns and my gun sound effects were better than the cheesey effects their toys had. I was real good with the full-auto effect.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:20 am

FreakOfNature wrote:
    Mostly German wrote:That's a little harsh. For a four year old, I would think something like a basic science kit might be entertaining AND educational. I remember when I was very young and received one of those kits that had a magnafying glass. I was entertained for hours looking at normal objects under magnification. And then an older cousin introduced me to the magic created by combining said magnifying glass with the sun. The first time I produced a smoking hole in a fallen leaf was absolutely orgiastic. Many fires ensured and woe be to the insect too slow to avoid the concentrated beam of my magnifying glass.

Did we share the same childhood? That reads almost exactly as I would have written it (minus the typo on the word "magnifying" Razz ).

My childhood home was basically located on a giant anthill. I learned to cook when I was about 4. I roasted hundreds of thousands of ants with concentrated sunshine. I can still remember the smell of smoldering ants. Man, that takes me back. Smile

Perhaps we did. I was an only child with an old mother and father who was gone on business a lot so I got to spend loads of time by myself getting into things. And then he bought the farm while I was in second grade and I had several buildings and 45 acres to explore.
    Olderplayer
    Olderplayer

Post  Olderplayer Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:12 pm

FreakOfNature wrote:

Before you fling too much feces all over your nephew's parade...

Imagine being confronted with the choice of getting a couple dozen new pair of underwear - something you probably need and would appreciate, but would prefer to buy for yourself. Underwear are boring. Not fun at all. OR you could choose a dozen new golf balls of your favorite brand and a new driver, with a complementary round at an exclusive local course - a package deal of luxuries.

I'm not even going to ask you which you'd choose. The luxuries over the necessities - every damned time. So ease up on the kid a bit.

A Playstation game costs less than a round of golf, and a round of golf is over in 4-5 hours. A good video game will provide them with 100's of hours of entertainment, far more entertainment value/dollar spent. You're not their parent - you don't have to worry about how much time they're allowed to spend sitting on their asses playing the game you bought them as a gift. That's their parents' problem. You get a chance to get them exactly what they want for very little cash and be the "cool" uncle. Let their parents be the bad guys.

However... (you knew this part was coming) if you're going to be spending time at the beach with the kids - don't expect them to glue themselves to that game you bought them. Kids aren't THAT dumb, they'll know the beach provides them with an opportunity to do other fun stuff. Heck, they may even want to do some of that stuff with their "cool" uncle. Wink

Either way - don't sweat it. Just make sure you let their parents raise them. That's their job, not yours. You're an uncle, just be a friend and offer sage advice - they'll respect both you and what you say a lot more. They'll grow up soon enough, and once they do - THAT will be your chance to nurture them.
    Interesting topic Kiwi. There are pros and cons of course but I would have to agree with FON here.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 11:15 am