The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+4
Horseballs
FamousDavis
Mongrel
Player
8 posters

Ive done what tiger should have done 10 years ago.

Player
    Player

Ive done what tiger should have done 10 years ago. Empty Ive done what tiger should have done 10 years ago.

Post  Player Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:23 am

I put a steel shaft in my driver. Cleveland Classic 310 9.5 with S300 at 43.5. Dont know swing weight yet but should be meaty. I honestly cant understand why tiger has persisted with graphite, he used to hit it just as far with steel and way straighter. Its almost like he just refuses to accept defeat. Tiger is an old school player who needs weight in his clubs.

Ive got to the stage where I just cant feel the head during the swing, which engages the arms too early. I cant trust driver right now. The other advantage of steel is you can play short without messing up the swing weight. I take it out on Saturday in a stroke event, Im looking forward to more approaches from the fairway.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Ive done what tiger should have done 10 years ago. Empty Re: Ive done what tiger should have done 10 years ago.

Post  Mongrel Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:33 am

Two years ago I put a Dynamic Gold R300 in a Tit 905T head, 10.5", and cut it to play just under 44". I haven't hit it or thought about it until I read your post two minutes ago. I shall have to take it out to the range at next opportunity to see how it works. I remember it feeling really good and solid and straight. I could get the ball in the air and lost maybe 10-15 yards of carry versus the same head with a YS-6+ stiff which weighed maybe 60 grams less. I remember years ago in the early 90's when I experimented with long steel shafts. I had a DG S300 put into some TaylorMade steel driver head cut to play at 46". I could hit the hell out of it. Then again, I was much younger. I still have two Sanvik titanium wood shafts lying around and I think that the longer one which was maybe a TaylorMade optional shaft could be installed in a blind bore driver head and get to play maybe 44.25" or so. That shaft weighs about 105 grams or so.

Too bad True Temper stopped making the Dynamic Gold SL shafts with .335" tips for woods. I think that an X flex one of those at about 44-45" would make a nice stick. Seems like the metal shafts in woods play softer to flex than lots of graphite ones do.
    Player
    Player

Ive done what tiger should have done 10 years ago. Empty Re: Ive done what tiger should have done 10 years ago.

Post  Player Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:02 pm

Mongrel wrote:Two years ago I put a Dynamic Gold R300 in a Tit 905T head, 10.5", and cut it to play just under 44". I haven't hit it or thought about it until I read your post two minutes ago. I shall have to take it out to the range at next opportunity to see how it works. I remember it feeling really good and solid and straight. I could get the ball in the air and lost maybe 10-15 yards of carry versus the same head with a YS-6+ stiff which weighed maybe 60 grams less. I remember years ago in the early 90's when I experimented with long steel shafts. I had a DG S300 put into some TaylorMade steel driver head cut to play at 46". I could hit the hell out of it. Then again, I was much younger. I still have two Sanvik titanium wood shafts lying around and I think that the longer one which was maybe a TaylorMade optional shaft could be installed in a blind bore driver head and get to play maybe 44.25" or so. That shaft weighs about 105 grams or so.

Too bad True Temper stopped making the Dynamic Gold SL shafts with .335" tips for woods. I think that an X flex one of those at about 44-45" would make a nice stick. Seems like the metal shafts in woods play softer to flex than lots of graphite ones do.
    46 would have had a huge swing weight, Ive been told not to go over 43.5. Its interesting what you said about steel playing soft to flex. I would have thought the opposite considering the extra weight and ultra low torque of steel. I got a S300 untipped, but it should still play stiff enough for my 100-105 ss. Im more interested in the extra weight and shorter shaft with playing with steel. In any case its a cheap experiment so if it doesnt work out no real harm done.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:47 pm

Speaking of Tiger, check out the home page photo. I picked his Thursday outfit correctly. Damn I'm good.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:00 pm

FamousDavis wrote:Speaking of Tiger, check out the home page photo. I picked his Thursday outfit correctly. Damn I'm good.
    Green means go. He will make his big move on Friday.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:16 pm

Player wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:Speaking of Tiger, check out the home page photo.  I picked his Thursday outfit correctly.  Damn I'm good.
    Green means go. He will make his big move on Friday.
    Plus he's got those two chokers Scott and Furyk in front of him.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:26 am

Player wrote:
    Mongrel wrote:Two years ago I put a Dynamic Gold R300 in a Tit 905T head, 10.5", and cut it to play just under 44". I haven't hit it or thought about it until I read your post two minutes ago. I shall have to take it out to the range at next opportunity to see how it works. I remember it feeling really good and solid and straight. I could get the ball in the air and lost maybe 10-15 yards of carry versus the same head with a YS-6+ stiff which weighed maybe 60 grams less. I remember years ago in the early 90's when I experimented with long steel shafts. I had a DG S300 put into some TaylorMade steel driver head cut to play at 46". I could hit the hell out of it. Then again, I was much younger. I still have two Sanvik titanium wood shafts lying around and I think that the longer one which was maybe a TaylorMade optional shaft could be installed in a blind bore driver head and get to play maybe 44.25" or so. That shaft weighs about 105 grams or so.

46 would have had a huge swing weight, Ive been told not to go over 43.5.  Its interesting what you said about steel playing soft to flex. I would have thought the opposite considering the extra weight and ultra low torque of steel. I got a S300 untipped, but it should still play stiff enough for my 100-105 ss.  Im more interested in the extra weight and shorter shaft with playing with steel. In any case its a cheap experiment so if it doesnt work out no real harm done.
    I think the soft-to-flex impression I got was probably due to the differences in wall thicknesses of those shafts when you make one with a .335" tip versus the typical .355" tapered iron tip. I have one Dynamic Gold SL .335" regular flex shaft which, in its .355" tapered tip iron version, is one stiff high-kick mother. When I put this shaft in one of my Cobra hybrids and cut it to play about 40.5", it felt like a senior flex shaft. I really like the feel of those steel shafts in woods due to their extremely low torque compared to most graphite shafts. I may be tempted to try the Dynamic Gold R300 I have in that 905T in a 905R 11.5* head. And cut it to play around 43". Sort of a Thriver+ maybe.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:35 am

Mongrel wrote:
    Player wrote:

46 would have had a huge swing weight, Ive been told not to go over 43.5.  Its interesting what you said about steel playing soft to flex. I would have thought the opposite considering the extra weight and ultra low torque of steel. I got a S300 untipped, but it should still play stiff enough for my 100-105 ss.  Im more interested in the extra weight and shorter shaft with playing with steel. In any case its a cheap experiment so if it doesnt work out no real harm done.
    I think the soft-to-flex impression I got was probably due to the differences in wall thicknesses of those shafts when you make one with a .335" tip versus the typical .355" tapered iron tip. I have one Dynamic Gold SL .335" regular flex shaft which, in its .355" tapered tip iron version, is one stiff high-kick mother. When I put this shaft in one of my Cobra hybrids and cut it to play about 40.5", it felt like a senior flex shaft. I really like the feel of those steel shafts in woods due to their extremely low torque compared to most graphite shafts. I may be tempted to try the Dynamic Gold R300 I have in that 905T in a 905R 11.5* head. And cut it to play around 43". Sort of a Thriver+ maybe.
    So I took my new big dog out for a walk today, and I need one of spanks mind=blown pics to do justice to how it went. It definitely felt soft to flex in the wigglr, but in the swing it was solid, straight and lllllonggggggg. I could feel the head right through the swing, and the harder I went at it the better it went. I think the extra length came from being able to jump on it without worrying where it goes. An added bonus was that with my normal swing I was getting a consistent baby fade. I was getting better results as the round went on as I was getting more confidence and really loosening the shoulders and free wheeling.

I would absolutely recommend this set up to any stronger player struggling with control with their driver.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:34 pm

I thought you were going to say, get divorced before having kids, but I recall that you and the missus are commonwealth husband/wife and have at least one illegitimate child together.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:43 pm

Horseballs wrote:I thought you were going to say, get divorced before having kids, but I recall that you and the missus are commonwealth husband/wife and have at least one illegitimate child together.

Save me the righteous sermons from the pulpit. Getting married just means there is a bit more red tape to cut through if you bust up. In the eyes of the law there is no difference financially, and not being married is the in thing in the cool circles these days so try to keep up with the times nerd. And its now 2.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:49 pm

Player wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:I thought you were going to say, get divorced before having kids, but I recall that you and the missus are commonwealth husband/wife and have at least one illegitimate child together.  
    Save me the righteous sermons from the pulpit. Getting married just means there is a bit more red tape to cut through if you bust up. In the eyes of the law there is no difference financially, and not being married is the in thing in the cool circles these days so try to keep up with the times nerd.  And its now 2.
    I've reeled in a big fish. I thought those days were over, but it's good to know I've still got it.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:45 am

Horseballs wrote:
    Player wrote:
    Save me the righteous sermons from the pulpit. Getting married just means there is a bit more red tape to cut through if you bust up. In the eyes of the law there is no difference financially, and not being married is the in thing in the cool circles these days so try to keep up with the times nerd.  And its now 2.
    I've reeled in a big fish. I thought those days were over, but it's good to know I've still got it.
    Yeah, I jumped the gun like a noob, but a good flame war is what things need around here
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:26 am

I thought the same thing yesterday when I re-read the title of this thread. Then I realized that Tiger had not yet married her. Before I realized that, I thought that Tiger should have either gotten an iron-clad pre-nup or hired a couple Salvadorans of the Mike Sierra One Three variety to ensure she stopped using oxygen before the next sunrise.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:03 am

Player wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Player wrote:
    Yeah, I jumped the gun like a noob, but a good flame war is what things need around here
    Too difficult to have a flame war with someone 10 time zones away.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:08 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    Player wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Player wrote:
    Yeah, and nobody really gives enough of a shit to go for each other. Maybe we need Alan and Larry rsf back.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:44 pm

Player wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Player wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Player wrote:
    Yeah, and nobody really gives enough of a shit to go for each other. Maybe we need Alan and Larry rsf back.
    I seriously doubt you'll play that Cleveland driver with a steel shaft for any length of time. Graphite these days is much better than in past years and you don't see any tour pros playing steel shaft in their driver. Duh.

But, then again, people from your hemisphere are usually 10 years behind the rest of us so I guess it's not that surprising that you'd be attracted to technology that Tiger used 13 years ago.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:46 pm

Player wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Player wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Player wrote:
    No way. We just need some new people who haven't been flamed before. If FD really gave a shit about this place, he would have taken out an ad during Sunday's coverage of the USPGA.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:03 am

FamousDavis wrote:
    Player wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Player wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Player wrote:
    I seriously doubt you'll play that Cleveland driver with a steel shaft for any length of time. Graphite these days is much better than in past years and you don't see any tour pros playing steel shaft in their driver. Duh.

But, then again, people from your hemisphere are usually 10 years behind the rest of us so I guess it's not that surprising that you'd be attracted to technology that Tiger used 13 years ago.
    Played it again today and the results are just getting better and better. I am just as long or maybe a touch longer, but more in control of direction and definitely finding more fairways. I know pros play graphite but you are off with the pixies if you think they play anything remotely close to what goes on sale in the shops. They play real heavy, low torque, tip stiff shafts that would retail for upwards of $500 if they were made availableto the rest of us. Basically they play shafts that perform similar to steel only better. AsI dont have that sort of cash laying around I dexided to go for the next best thing, steel, and have no regrets. I know you are a massive club ho FD, why not give it a go. Its a $50 dollar experiment, max. What have you got to lose? I honestly believe the graphite revolution has only been a good thing for choppers with weak swings. Any strong player who grew up playing steel would probably get better results going old school and sticking a steel shaft in their driver.
    I know Im not the only person doing this as there is a thread on wrx dedicated to it and the feedback has been nearly all positive.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:00 pm

Player wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    Player wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Player wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Player wrote:
    I seriously doubt you'll play that Cleveland driver with a steel shaft for any length of time.  Graphite these days is much better than in past years and you don't see any tour pros playing steel shaft in their driver.  Duh.  

Played it again today and the results are just getting better and better. I am just as long or maybe a touch longer, but more in control of direction and definitely finding more fairways. I know pros play graphite but you are off with the pixies if you think they play anything remotely close to what goes on sale in the shops. They play real heavy, low torque, tip stiff shafts that would retail for upwards of $500 if they were made availableto the rest of us. Basically they play shafts that perform similar to steel only better. AsI dont have that sort of cash laying around I dexided to go for the next best thing, steel, and have no regrets. I know you are a massive club ho FD, why not give it a go. Its a $50 dollar experiment, max. What have you got to lose?  I honestly believe the graphite revolution has only been a good thing for choppers with weak swings. Any strong player who grew up playing steel would probably get better results going old school and sticking a steel shaft in their driver.
    I know Im not the only person doing this as there is a thread on wrx dedicated to it and the feedback has been nearly all positive.
    Bike manufacturers have taken a page from club manufacturers by practically getting rid of steel in favor of aluminum and carbon.  There is however a contingent of riders who refuse to fall for this and consider it merely a ploy.  You can see who they are in your bike's rear view mirror if it has enough magnification.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:20 pm

Dammit, Player. Now you got me worked up enough to the point where I'm going to make myself up another steel-shafted driver so I can find some damn fairways next time I play. I played my last competitive round last Sunday and pulled three drivers into terminal trouble and it cost me some points and money. Now I have two steel .335" tip shafts around. The Dynamic Gold SL is lighter than the Dynamic Gold R300 but I will need to glue a butt extension on it since I cut it for a hybrid. The DG R300 is already in a 905T 10.5* head but I don't like it. So I have a couple of driver heads around and have to decide who gets what. The heads are 905R (9.5* and 11.5*), 905T in 8.5*, 909 DComp in 10.5*, 983K in 9.5*, 983E in 9.5*, 975 JVS in 10.5*, a Mizuno MP in 9* and a Nicklaus 440 in 9*. I may have left someone out but that's tough titties.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:41 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:
    Player wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:
    Player wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Player wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    Player wrote:
    I seriously doubt you'll play that Cleveland driver with a steel shaft for any length of time.  Graphite these days is much better than in past years and you don't see any tour pros playing steel shaft in their driver.  Duh.  

Played it again today and the results are just getting better and better. I am just as long or maybe a touch longer, but more in control of direction and definitely finding more fairways. I know pros play graphite but you are off with the pixies if you think they play anything remotely close to what goes on sale in the shops. They play real heavy, low torque, tip stiff shafts that would retail for upwards of $500 if they were made availableto the rest of us. Basically they play shafts that perform similar to steel only better. AsI dont have that sort of cash laying around I dexided to go for the next best thing, steel, and have no regrets. I know you are a massive club ho FD, why not give it a go. Its a $50 dollar experiment, max. What have you got to lose?  I honestly believe the graphite revolution has only been a good thing for choppers with weak swings. Any strong player who grew up playing steel would probably get better results going old school and sticking a steel shaft in their driver.
    Bike manufacturers have taken a page from club manufacturers by practically getting rid of steel in favor of aluminum and carbon.  There is however a contingent of riders who refuse to fall for this and consider it merely a ploy.  You can see who they are in your bike's rear view mirror if it has enough magnification.
    I have no doubt you are correct but you are comparing apples and oranges. In any sport where speed is the only objective of course lighter is better. Its why horses.get weight penalties in handicap races. But golf is about more.than just ss. There were guys on tour in the 80s hitting 300 yard drives, with steel shafted persimmon drivers and balatas. In any case, Im not suggesting using old clubs, just old school shafts. You still get huge benefits from modern titanium heads, its just the shaft is heavier and shorter, which for me is perfect.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:52 pm

Mongrel wrote:Dammit, Player. Now you got me worked up enough to the point where I'm going to make myself up another steel-shafted driver so I can find some damn fairways next time I play. I played my last competitive round last Sunday and pulled three drivers into terminal trouble and it cost me some points and money. Now I have two steel .335" tip shafts around. The Dynamic Gold SL is lighter than the Dynamic Gold R300 but I will need to glue a butt extension on it since I cut it for a hybrid. The DG R300 is already in a 905T 10.5* head but I don't like it. So I have a couple of driver heads around and have to decide who gets what. The heads are 905R (9.5* and 11.5*), 905T in 8.5*, 909 DComp in 10.5*, 983K in 9.5*, 983E in 9.5*, 975 JVS in 10.5*, a Mizuno MP in 9* and a Nicklaus 440 in 9*. I may have left someone out but that's tough titties.
    I found I got more hang time with steel so I would go with 9.5 if I were you. The only thing is you need to swing the opposite to graphite. With graphite I have to hold back and swing smooth to keep it in the fairway. Steel wants to be swung hard. When I first took the steely out I was hitting shitty line drives with no distance trying to ease into it, but found by the end of the round I was getting good results from really jumping on it. The extra weight allows you to really swing for the fences without losing fell of the clubhead. If you still have the chs and strength to power through impact, it will be the best couple of hours youve ever spent.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:02 pm

Well I don't know how much strength I have left but I figure that if I can register 4-5-5-7 at 85 mph with the Mizuno shaft dna 6 iron, I can hit a freaking Dynamic Gold R300 shafted 905R 11.5* at least 200 yards in the air and hopefully a lot straighter than my graphite sticks. My problem is that with driver I have about one speed and that is full speed ahead. In control but I can't take a little off anymore like I used to be able to do. What I'm looking for is the ability to hit a "stinger" type shot. A low line drive that hits and rolls. As an alternative to a 3 or 5 wood or low lofted hybrid off the tee of short par 4's or hard dogleg holes that I couldn't cut with my longest graphite shafted driver. Figure I'll stick it part way into the 905R--maybe two inches max--and it will play about 43.5". I got the season almost ending and will be in the club playoffs in a month and need to be hitting bloody fairways and not pulling them left into triple or quad bogey land.

OK, an edit a couple of hours later...... torched the DG R300 out of the 905T head. Damn do I love steel. No fancy shaft extractor needed like with graphite. Just light up that head until the epoxy smokes and grab the head with the old oven mitt and pull her off, clean her up, and tell the next head to bend over 'cause yo 'bout ready to get de shaft. So in it went. About three inches into that 905R head which is about a half inch short of full bore-through insertion and it measures 43.5". Perfect. And no need to tip the shaft. Swing weights out to about D5 due to the 25 gram Wynn Hero grip that is on it from before. Total weight about 346 grams. Can't wait to give it a whack or two. Taking an afternoon off from work tomorrow and the weather;s perfect for the first time since early June.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:55 am

Mongrel wrote:Well I don't know how much strength I have left but I figure that if I can register 4-5-5-7 at 85 mph with the Mizuno shaft dna 6 iron, I can hit a freaking Dynamic Gold R300 shafted 905R 11.5* at least 200 yards in the air and hopefully a lot straighter than my graphite sticks. My problem is that with driver I have about one speed and that is full speed ahead. In control but I can't take a little off anymore like I used to be able to do. What I'm looking for is the ability to hit a "stinger" type shot. A low line drive that hits and rolls. As an alternative to a 3 or 5 wood or low lofted hybrid off the tee of short par 4's or hard dogleg holes that I couldn't cut with my longest graphite shafted driver. Figure I'll stick it part way into the 905R--maybe two inches max--and it will play about 43.5". I got the season almost ending and will be in the club playoffs in a month and need to be hitting bloody fairways and not pulling them left into triple or quad bogey land.

OK, an edit a couple of hours later...... torched the DG R300 out of the 905T head. Damn do I love steel. No fancy shaft extractor needed like with graphite. Just light up that head until the epoxy smokes and grab the head with the old oven mitt and pull her off, clean her up, and tell the next head to bend over 'cause yo 'bout ready to get de shaft. So in it went. About three inches into that 905R head which is about a half inch short of full bore-through insertion and it measures 43.5". Perfect. And no need to tip the shaft. Swing weights out to about D5 due to the 25 gram Wynn Hero grip that is on it from before. Total weight about 346 grams. Can't wait to give it a whack or two. Taking an afternoon off from work tomorrow and the weather;s perfect for the first time since early June.
    Look forward to hearing how it goes. From what you say about your swing you are a perfect candidate for a retro makeover. If you get good results I have a 905R sitting around which may get the steel treatment.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:02 am

The club feels good to swing although I'm a bit concerned about the loft. If it feels good at impact and is repeatable but the flight is flunky, I might pull the steel and put it into the 9.5* 905R head. Then I also have this Sandvik titanium shaft that I pulled from something or other years ago. It weighs about 100 grams and is stiff flex but with low kick point. Maybe try it in the 905T 8.5 head. WTF.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 12:08 am