The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+5
Kiwigolfer
FamousDavis
Horseballs
Mongrel
Lorenzzo
9 posters

On The Slopes: Turns Report

Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

On The Slopes: Turns Report - Page 3 Empty Re: On The Slopes: Turns Report

Post  Lorenzzo Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:45 pm

Many here describe this season has excellent for a bad year. Snowfall was below average particularly away from the Cottonwoods. We still had many memorable days in the pow. Park City Mountain closes on Sunday, Snowbird remains open through the end of the month and then on weekends through May. I know all of you have anxiously awaited this vital information.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:09 am

Lorenzzo wrote:Many here describe this season has excellent for a bad year. Snowfall was below average particularly away from the Cottonwoods. We still had many memorable days in the pow. Park City Mountain closes on Sunday, Snowbird remains open through the end of the month and then on weekends through May.  I know all of you have anxiously awaited this vital information.
    Sh!thole, KY got snow yesterday.
    How are summers in Park City/SLC? I've always really liked going to ski resorts in the summer. I used to meet up with a girlfriend at a resort near the WV/PA/OH border back in my early 20's. She lived outside of NYC in Jersey so it was about halfway. Very cool scene with hiking, mountainbiking, BJ's, etc.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:01 am

In the fall of 1967, my father and I went to visit friends in Sandy, UT, a burb of SLC and close to great skiing. One morning we skied Alta and, after lunch, played 18 holes at our host's country club.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:46 am

Horseballs wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:Many here describe this season has excellent for a bad year. Snowfall was below average particularly away from the Cottonwoods. We still had many memorable days in the pow. Park City Mountain closes on Sunday, Snowbird remains open through the end of the month and then on weekends through May.  I know all of you have anxiously awaited this vital information.
    How are summers in Park City/SLC?  I've always really liked going to ski resorts in the summer.  I used to meet up with a girlfriend at a resort near the WV/PA/OH border back in my early 20's.  She lived outside of NYC in Jersey so it was about halfway.  Very cool scene with hiking, mountainbiking, BJ's, etc.  

A lot of people here come for the winter but end up preferring the summer.  There are four outdoor concerts a week, a small town local feel, tons of sports and recreational ops.  PC's become one of the world's biking capitals.  There's also a twice a week film series of the better films from Sundance.  Generally it's very low key particularly compared to the winter.  There are few powder days in the summer but occasionally...

There are only 7,500 permanent residents so you run into your friends and acquaintances everywhere.  The 45 days from April 15 when ski resorts start closing to June 1 is mud season and Labor day to Thanksgiving is shoulder season.  During both periods residents often travel to Nevada and Mexico to get drunk and laze around.  I pass on those trips and instead train for what's next.  

Most of my friends have left or are leaving for Mexico, Nevada, etc. which makes this a really small town for the next few weeks.  I live in moose, elk and deer habitat and the combination of the exit of everyone and the natural movement of those critters to newly emerging grasses and higher elevation leads to constant encounters aroiund here.  The moose are common almost year round and just ate several new aspens I planted in the fall.  If I was here I would have shot them in the ass with a pellet gun to move them along.

For about only two weeks each year in fact right now, the elk come down from Round Hill behind me where they spend winter and come right through my property on their way to higher elevation.  In the fall the reverse it in the space of only several days so large numbers of them pass through at the same time.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:12 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:
    How are summers in Park City/SLC?  I've always really liked going to ski resorts in the summer.  I used to meet up with a girlfriend at a resort near the WV/PA/OH border back in my early 20's.  She lived outside of NYC in Jersey so it was about halfway.  Very cool scene with hiking, mountainbiking, BJ's, etc.  

A lot of people here come for the winter but end up preferring the summer.  There are four outdoor concerts a week, a small town local feel, tons of sports and recreational ops.  PC's become one of the world's biking capitals.  There's also a twice a week film series of the better films from Sundance.  Generally it's very low key particularly compared to the winter.  There are few powder days in the summer but occasionally...

There are only 7,500 permanent residents so you run into your friends and acquaintances everywhere.  The 45 days from April 15 when ski resorts start closing to June 1 is mud season and Labor day to Thanksgiving is shoulder season.  During both periods residents often travel to Nevada and Mexico to get drunk and laze around.  I pass on those trips and instead train for what's next.  

Most of my friends have left or are leaving for Mexico, Nevada, etc. which makes this a really small town for the next few weeks.  I live in moose, elk and deer habitat and the combination of the exit of everyone and the natural movement of those critters to newly emerging grasses and higher elevation leads to constant encounters aroiund here.  The moose are common almost year round and just ate several new aspens I planted in the fall.  If I was here I would have shot them in the ass with a pellet gun to move them along.

For about only two weeks each year in fact right now, the elk come down from Round Hill behind me where they spend winter and come right through my property on their way to higher elevation.  In the fall the reverse it in the space of only several days so large numbers of them pass through at the same time.

You still getting into wrestling matches with your neighbor when you try to pellet gun the elk?
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:12 am

Kiwi... I've heard that New Zealand is a very beautiful country. When I came to USA in 1970 my cousin got a scholarship and went to New Zealand. I think he went to a university in Wellington? (or something like that). he now lives in Sidney Aussie to be close to his parents. BTW, I did not go to Aussie last Sept for the World HS reunion , something came up that required my stay in USA, but I would love a chance to play OP so that he could whip my a$$$  affraid 
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:47 pm

Pky6471 wrote:Kiwi... I've heard that New Zealand is a very beautiful country. When I came to USA in 1970 my cousin got a scholarship and went to New Zealand. I think he went to a university in Wellington? (or something like that). he now lives in Sidney Aussie to be close to his parents.  BTW, I did not go to Aussie last Sept for the World HS reunion , something came up that required my stay in USA, but I would love a chance to play OP so that he could whip my a$$$  affraid 

I'm sure OP would love the opportunity to play you. However he lives in Melbourne, not Sydney. Melbourne is a beautiful city and well worth visiting. OP is a member of a beautiful golf club with two magnificent 18 hole courses. If you want to play in Sydney you will have to try and contact our old friend Not a Hacker. He is a member of a 9 hole goat track that you have to play twice if you want to get in 18.  Suspect 
    Pky6471
    Pky6471

Post  Pky6471 Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:43 am

Kiwigolfer wrote:
    Pky6471 wrote:Kiwi... I've heard that New Zealand is a very beautiful country. When I came to USA in 1970 my cousin got a scholarship and went to New Zealand. I think he went to a university in Wellington? (or something like that). he now lives in Sidney Aussie to be close to his parents.  BTW, I did not go to Aussie last Sept for the World HS reunion , something came up that required my stay in USA, but I would love a chance to play OP so that he could whip my a$$$  affraid 

I'm sure OP would love the opportunity to play you. However he lives in Melbourne,  not Sydney. Melbourne is a beautiful city and well worth visiting. OP is a member of a beautiful golf club with two magnificent 18 hole courses. If you want to play in Sydney you will have to try and contact our old friend Not a Hacker. He is a member of a 9 hole goat track that you have to play twice if you want to get in 18.  Suspect 

NAH... is it the guy who plays Powerbuilt (SP?) clubs? he disappeared on this earth ?
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:54 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:
    Lorenzzo wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:

You still getting into wrestling matches with your neighbor when you try to pellet gun the elk?

The elk seem to avoid my trees and plants it's the moose and deer you have to worry about. I haven't happened upon them in mid-chomp for a while but when I do need to shoot a moose in the ass again he won't be getting an invitation.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:34 am

My recommendation is a Gamo Whisper .177 caliber pellet gun. With Gamo's special coated pellets, you can get about 1,300 feet per second which is supersonic. It will surely sting the ass of any critter you hit. Great for the two leggers which wear their trousers below their skivvies, if you take my meaning. Gamo is a Spanish company and produces the best bang for the buck. Available at Dick's Sporting Goods. I wouldn't be without mine that has sent countless squirrels, groundhogs and racoons to the great critter beyond.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:04 pm

With the first real dusting of peaks in the Rockies last night comes the news of the death of JP Auclair and Andreas Franson in Patagonia yesterday.

Auclair was a gentle soul and amazing skier who was known more for brilliant skiing than taking ill advised risks.  If you want to get a rush look up his vid from Niseko or the Urban shoot in BC. Now he's dead. So stupid to get hooked on death defying risk but I've been there so I understand it.

I myself faced a decision whether to Masters race and teach this year (passed my L2 last spring) and try for my L3 or focus on mountaineering. This helps me decide not that I'd have taken on something nearly as extreme as the big boys but then I wouldn't have had their resources or talent.

So if you want a lesson I could recommend. I don't want to get fired so I would pass. If I pass my L3 in the spring then next year I'll be teaching instructors. It is kind of rare someone my age reaches L3 but I'm gonna do it. I might even go for Examiner next year.  I do love this stuff.

When the suits visit I smile to myself having done it but now able to do what I really want to do.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:00 pm

We all of course know what Halloween means. It's the end of the snow sports off-season. November one it all begins.  Small complication so far this year in that even at the higher elevations there isn't any snow yet. Nothing seems in the forecast for the next 10 days.

It's okay though because the Air mass is changing portending storms in a pattern beginning in approximately two weeks. I didn't want anyone to be too concerned.

Graduating last spring to my current level of certification as an instructor, I'm now entitled to discounts and freebies that make my heart glow. You get paid shit as an instructor but there are many things that compensate for that.  An example is the uniform.  The ass-kissing you get in your uniform is pretty cool.

Pray for snow.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:33 pm

God damn it was fucking good out there today. That magical combination of no wind, very low temperatures and snow flying nonstop. It's been two years since we got a storm this good. Usually there is one like this a month but the last two winters have been warm and dry. Really hoping we are back on track.

I did today's powder turns with the Masters team. What a hoot. At one point I blew by the coach and got chewed out. Stupid move when free skiing as a group there is really only one rule, no passing particularly the coaches.

Tonight it goes from cold to outright frigid. Some of the coldest temps in years. It should reach -12 possibly colder.  I might leave the water running because I haven't seen temperatures so cold in this house and would hate to have pipes freeze.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:09 pm

So I get to the race course today and instead of finding my normal group, there's the United States Ski Team.  Right in front of me running gates was the most technically proficient skier in the history of this planet in slalom as well as the most inspiring giant slalom skier in the history of the planet. The former was Michaela Shifrin and the latter was Ted Ligety.  For Ligety it was a rare home appearance as he is from Park City.

I have been outspoken about how women's sports are superfluous because they are inferior to the men. Not true in Michaela Shifrin's case. No one has ever skied better than her and she's still a kid. I didn't see Lindsay Vonn.

For Fuck sake, I leave golf and Eldrick follows me into skiing as a groupie for Lindsay Vonn. Eldrick… get the fuck away from me. Seriously… go find a rock somewhere. By the way… what happened to your replacement teeth from your encounter with the five iron?
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:36 pm

Lorenzzo wrote:So I get to the race course today and instead of finding my normal group, there's the United States Ski Team.  Right in front of me running gates was the most technically proficient skier in the history of this planet in slalom as well as the most inspiring giant slalom skier in the history of the planet. The former was Michaela Shifrin and the latter was Ted Ligety.  For Ligety it was a rare home appearance as he is from Park City.

I have been outspoken about how women's sports are superfluous because they are inferior to the men. Not true in Michaela Shifrin's case. No one has ever skied better than her and she's still a kid. I didn't see Lindsay Vonn.

For Fuck sake, I leave golf and Eldrick follows me into skiing as a groupie for Lindsay Vonn. Eldrick… get the fuck away from me. Seriously… go find a rock somewhere. By the way… what happened to your replacement teeth from your encounter with the five iron?

LOL top class rant! Wink
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

On The Slopes: Turns Report - Page 3 Empty Is Lorenzo still around?

Post  FamousDavis Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:16 am

Just checking...
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:58 am

I think this coming season will be an appropriate resurrection for The Turns Report. Think Colin Cowherd without that hottie under my desk humming the Star Spangled Banner.
    Golfaholic

Post  Golfaholic Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:26 pm

I went Skiing for the first time ever this year. I found myself in the French Alps - Mont Blanc - St Gervais, and figured I had to give it a try. It was a beautiful day, and I really enjoyed it.
    Lorenzzo
    Lorenzzo

Post  Lorenzzo Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:49 am

^^^ I've always wanted to ski there. Been to the Dolomites and Garmisch. Snow here this season's been terrible but a big one about to blow in.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 3:51 am