The Caddy Shack

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Caddy Shack

...not your typical golf forum

+7
stugstar
Fluffy
Kiwigolfer
Poe4soul
Horseballs
Mongrel
FamousDavis
11 posters

Short game is coming around

Horseballs
    Horseballs

Short game is coming around - Page 2 Empty Re: Short game is coming around

Post  Horseballs Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:31 am

I had what may be the worst putting day in recent memory. Greens were absolutely perfect too.
    It started early, and lasted all day too. Wound up costing me about $75 too.
    I missed an 8 foot birdie on #2, which isn't surprising, but I wasn't even close. Missed a 5 footer on #3 straight up a hill for birdie. Missed a simple up and down on #6 (not a "great" chip, but still only about 4 feet away). Made a 6 on a par 5 when I had 110 yards for my third. Missed a 6 footer for par on #8. 3-putted #11. Missed a 7 footer for par on #13. Missed an 8 footer for bird on 14. Missed 6 footers on 16 - 18. On 18, I had 3 carry-overs on the line and a progressive bet with another dude that I lost.
    After I missed on #3, I felt like I couldn't make anything. It's so weird to just lose confidence completely.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:46 pm

Horseballs wrote:I had what may be the worst putting day in recent memory. Greens were absolutely perfect too.
    I missed an 8 foot birdie on #2, which isn't surprising, but I wasn't even close. Missed a 5 footer on #3 straight up a hill for birdie. Missed a simple up and down on #6 (not a "great" chip, but still only about 4 feet away). Made a 6 on a par 5 when I had 110 yards for my third. Missed a 6 footer for par on #8. 3-putted #11. Missed a 7 footer for par on #13. Missed an 8 footer for bird on 14. Missed 6 footers on 16 - 18. On 18, I had 3 carry-overs on the line and a progressive bet with another dude that I lost.
    After I missed on #3, I felt like I couldn't make anything. It's so weird to just lose confidence completely.

That pretty much sums up the way I have been playing the par 5s lately. Effing up the 3rd shot after being in great shape for two. Evil or Very Mad
    SoonerBS
    SoonerBS

Post  SoonerBS Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:49 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:I had what may be the worst putting day in recent memory. Greens were absolutely perfect too.

That pretty much sums up the way I have been playing the par 5s lately. Effing up the 3rd shot after being in great shape for two. Evil or Very Mad

If you were man enough to go for the green in two instead of laying up, you could be putting your third shot for eagle.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:04 pm

SoonerBS wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:

If you were man enough to go for the green in two instead of laying up, you could be putting your third shot for eagle.

You mean looking for it in the trees!

About two years ago due to cost cutting measures our club allowed the rough to grow to knee deep shite. Where before you might have been in the trees at least you could find your ball and often have a shot out from a reasonable lie. Now the rough is so deep it's difficult to even find your ball and if you do hacking it out sideways with a wedge is your only play.

This has lead to much more conservative play.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:42 pm

I have not been playing the par 5's very well in my limited rounds so far this year. I should dominate them on the home course as they are pretty easy holes, but I'm going for the home run tee shot and screwing myself. It's really stupid considering that an average tee shot that is close to the fairway is good enough to take a crack at the green in two at best, or at worst guarantee a short wedge shot for my third.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:45 pm

I think the best thing to do after a horrible round of putting is absolutely nothing. Horrible putting rounds happen to everyone and usually it's simply a matter of possessing zero feel that day. Our speed is off, our stroke is off and it just gets worse and worse as the round progresses and we try to adjust. The next time you go out there just go out to the practice green and start hitting putts from 20 feet away just trying to get it near the hole. Then try to make 10 4 footers in a row. You'll be right back to normal within a few minutes.

What you do NOT want to do is worry about it and try to change something. A day where you make nothing is not much different than a day where you make everything. There is always luck involved with putting and sometimes we get no breaks.

Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:05 pm

Sometimes not changing anything when you are putting poorly robs one of insights that might lead to real improvements. This past Saturday, our club played on a public course up in Pennsylvania that had not yet aerated the greens on the two nines we played and they had a nice crop of healthy poa growing over half or more of every green surface. So they rolled pretty true but were slow. I putted OK for the first nine but missed a couple of makeable birdie and par putts left. Then on the first makeable putt on the back nine around hole 12 something told me to close my stance just a touch and I rolled the putt in. And didn't miss another from 10 feet on in for the rest of the round. Not only did closing stance zero in my aim but it helped with speed control too. I'm sticking with it until it goes sour which undoubtedly it will.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:56 pm

Probably good advice, FD. I'm never a great putter, but I usually make what I'm supposed to. Part of the issue (excuse warning) is that my right wrist is a bit injured. I put down 42 bags of wet mulch the day prior and woke up to a very swollen and painful wrist. It's still killing me. It didn't really hurt on full swings and pitches, but it was pretty painful to putt. I've got consecutive tournament weekends coming up, and I wanted to practice a bit prior to this weekend, but I'm probably going to rest up the wrist. It couldn't be any worse. The round on 5/11 is the important one. The stroke play qualifier for our season long 2 man team event. My team is defending the championship and there is no automatic qualification for defending champs. 16 teams make it to match play out of about 50-60. I've only qualified 3 times out of 8, but won it twice.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:13 pm

Mongrel wrote:Sometimes not changing anything when you are putting poorly robs one of insights that might lead to real improvements. This past Saturday, our club played on a public course up in Pennsylvania that had not yet aerated the greens on the two nines we played and they had a nice crop of healthy poa growing over half or more of every green surface. So they rolled pretty true but were slow. I putted OK for the first nine but missed a couple of makeable birdie and par putts left. Then on the first makeable putt on the back nine around hole 12 something told me to close my stance just a touch and I rolled the putt in. And didn't miss another from 10 feet on in for the rest of the round. Not only did closing stance zero in my aim but it helped with speed control too. I'm sticking with it until it goes sour which undoubtedly it will.

I'm taking a mulligan. Everyone gets 1 mulligan per 100 posts. It's OK to alter a few things like alignment, making sure your grip hasn't changed or check ball position. That being said, I think it's a mistake to make drastic changes to your stance, posture or stroke as a remedy for one bad round of putting.

What is acceptable is to buy a new putter. Putters are not an exception when it comes to forming resentments and becoming ungrateful. A few days in the closet or stored away amongst the cobwebs in the garage is all it takes to give your old putter an attitude adjustment. As soon as it's back in the bag riding in the cart with the cool morning breeze and smell of grass it'll come back to life. I guess I'm stating the obvious.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:31 am

Aye. Nothing like a bit of competition to get that recalcitrant stick off its bad attitude. I've done it with drivers by bagging two at the same time. The essence of success is to realize when its time to make the switch. Several weeks ago I hit my new one on every hole but on the 18th, a nasty little par 5 piece of work, I pulled the old faithful out and hit the best drive I've ever hit on the hole. If I had made the switch on #10, I might have saved 5 or 6 shots.
    SoonerBS
    SoonerBS

Post  SoonerBS Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:22 pm

I think we all agree that the short game is the most important aspect the game. Without a doubt, my scores started going down whenever my short game got better. The thing is, the short game is the easiest part of our game to work on. Not many of us can go into the back yard and start firing balls over the fence with our drivers, but we can chip balls around with our PW. Most courses will charge you to hit a bucket of balls, but you can go practice on the putting greens for free. There is just no excuse for us not to have a better short game.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:23 pm

Horseballs wrote:Probably good advice, FD. I'm never a great putter, but I usually make what I'm supposed to. Part of the issue (excuse warning) is that my right wrist is a bit injured. I put down 42 bags of wet mulch the day prior and woke up to a very swollen and painful wrist. It's still killing me. It didn't really hurt on full swings and pitches, but it was pretty painful to putt. I've got consecutive tournament weekends coming up, and I wanted to practice a bit prior to this weekend, but I'm probably going to rest up the wrist. It couldn't be any worse. The round on 5/11 is the important one. The stroke play qualifier for our season long 2 man team event. My team is defending the championship and there is no automatic qualification for defending champs. 16 teams make it to match play out of about 50-60. I've only qualified 3 times out of 8, but won it twice.

You're not going to like this HB but it needs to be said. It's time to try the left hand low putting method to resolve your putting Issues. I know it's semi gay but you can use your injury as an excuse. And look on the bright side. At least it's not the flaming faggotry that the claw grip is.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:28 pm

SoonerBS wrote:I think we all agree that the short game is the most important aspect the game. Without a doubt, my scores started going down whenever my short game got better. The thing is, the short game is the easiest part of our game to work on. Not many of us can go into the back yard and start firing balls over the fence with our drivers, but we can chip balls around with our PW. Most courses will charge you to hit a bucket of balls, but you can go practice on the putting greens for free. There is just no excuse for us not to have a better short game.

Well said. I''ve been neglecting my short game lately and it shows in my scores. I'm going to take my wedges and putter to the club at lunchtime and get practicing.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:53 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:
    Horseballs wrote:Probably good advice, FD. I'm never a great putter, but I usually make what I'm supposed to. Part of the issue (excuse warning) is that my right wrist is a bit injured. I put down 42 bags of wet mulch the day prior and woke up to a very swollen and painful wrist. It's still killing me. It didn't really hurt on full swings and pitches, but it was pretty painful to putt. I've got consecutive tournament weekends coming up, and I wanted to practice a bit prior to this weekend, but I'm probably going to rest up the wrist. It couldn't be any worse. The round on 5/11 is the important one. The stroke play qualifier for our season long 2 man team event. My team is defending the championship and there is no automatic qualification for defending champs. 16 teams make it to match play out of about 50-60. I've only qualified 3 times out of 8, but won it twice.

You're not going to like this HB but it needs to be said. It's time to try the left hand low putting method to resolve your putting Issues. I know it's semi gay but you can use your injury as an excuse. And look on the bright side. At least it's not the flaming faggotry that the claw grip is.
    I would rather give up the game than resort to putting that way.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:49 pm

Horseballs wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:

I would rather give up the game than resort to putting that way.
    Good luck with your new bowls career hb.

Kiwi has given you wise advice, you need to swallow your pride and take it. LHL will be awkward at first, but is a bullet proof stroke when you get used to it, and is definitely a cant miss stroke for 4 foot straight uphillers on good greens.
    But if you insist on a normal grip, there are 2 things you can try. Relax your grip pressure. Im assuming you are strangling the club, as most cases of poor putting involve tensed up muscles. The second and more important thing you can do is shorten your backswing and lengthen your followthrough. An accelerating putterhead through impact is crucial to keeping the putter face square and making putts. If you deccelerate youre dead.

Alternatively, if you want to keep pissing your money away listen to the numb nuts who told you do nothing, Im sure he really knows what he is talking about.

SoonerBS
    SoonerBS

Post  SoonerBS Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:59 pm

Kiwigolfer wrote:

I was doing LHL for a few months last year and having some success. I don't know why ever stopped, but since I have had a bit of a lay-off, it may be time to get it going again.

Kiwi, you are spot on about that claw shit! What is up with all these pros moving to that abomination? I have tried it and could feel no distinct advantage to it all.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Wed May 01, 2013 3:05 am

SoonerBS wrote:
    Kiwigolfer wrote:

I was doing LHL for a few months last year and having some success. I don't know why ever stopped, but since I have had a bit of a lay-off, it may be time to get it going again.

Kiwi, you are spot on about that claw shit! What is up with all these pros moving to that abomination? I have tried it and could feel no distinct advantage to it all.
    Personally, I would putt with my pants around my ankles if I thought it would help, but I agree the claw seems to serve no purpose whatsoever and I wouldnt consider it a viable option.
    Mongrel
    Mongrel

Post  Mongrel Wed May 01, 2013 8:34 am

All those funky grips are just crutches to try to take the hands out of the putting stroke. Through sheer coincidence, I found that using one of those real thick grips does the same thing for me and allows me to use the same interlock grip I use for all the rest of the sticks in the bag.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Wed May 01, 2013 8:36 am

Player, you may be right about the grip pressure thing. I'll try it out next time. I think I'm slicing my putts a little bit, probably because the putter can't release with a death grip. I was missing most to the right, especially the short ones. I may actually put the bat signal mallet back in the bag for awhile.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Wed May 01, 2013 8:11 pm

Horseballs wrote:Player, you may be right about the grip pressure thing. I'll try it out next time. I think I'm slicing my putts a little bit, probably because the putter can't release with a death grip. I was missing most to the right, especially the short ones. I may actually put the bat signal mallet back in the bag for awhile.
    I think the mallet will definitely help, although if you are missing right you might be lifting the head to take a peek before you complete the stroke. I also think mongrel makes a good point with the grip, I use a Winn oversize which is thicker than normal but not supersized. A larger grip, mallet with relaxed grip pressure, an accelerating stroke and keeping your head still will have you dropping bombs from everywhere.

I also prefer a shorter putter to keep the arms straighter but thats a technical thing that comes down to personal preference, the other things are fundamentals which can be applied to anyone without the need to change your actual stroke.
    FamousDavis
    FamousDavis
    Admin

Post  FamousDavis Wed May 01, 2013 8:29 pm

Horseballs wrote:Player, you may be right about the grip pressure thing. I'll try it out next time. I think I'm slicing my putts a little bit, probably because the putter can't release with a death grip. I was missing most to the right, especially the short ones. I may actually put the bat signal mallet back in the bag for awhile.

I know exactly what kind of funk you are in because I've been there myself. I'll try to explain the sensation you should feel when hitting putts as best I can and how to get out of what you have been describing to us.

One of the worst ruts you can get into is when you have completely forgotten what a proper putting stroke is supposed to feel and look like. The worst habit we get into is when we start pushing our putts toward the hole. Another term for this is "willing" them to go in.

There have been times when I've been on the practice green and have literally made almost everything I looked at. It felt so easy. Even 20 footers seemed makeable 3 out of 4 times.

When I have felt this way, it's always because I'm swinging the putter. I'm not pushing it toward the ball. I'm swinging it. Granted, it's a short swing but there is no doubt that the head is swinging down toward the ball and then hitting it, rather than pushing it.

In order to do this, you cannot have a deathgrip on the putter. At the same time, it's not necessary to have an extremely light grip. The sensation you feel should be very slight but it's there - that you are feeling the head of the putter release when it hits the ball. It's as if you can feel the weight of the putter head hitting the ball, rather than pushing at it. The putter head should always release just before impact and just after, almost like it's on a pendulum.

The best putters in the world do this and the ones who do it have courage. Tiger is the very best at putting this way. Watch him putt. He never pushes at the ball and leaves them short on the amateur side like an Ernie Els, Sergio Garcia or Lee Westwood. Instead, his putts bounce off the putter on a true roll toward the hole. It takes courage to putt like that because you are letting go. You aren't trying to control the ball. You put your best stroke on it and the rest is not up to you.

Do this - hold the putter lightly and hit a few putts by just letting the weight of the putter guide it back to the ball. You may need to bring it further back in the backswing to do this but you'll start understanding the sensation of how a putt should feel when you hit the ball. The putter head should release after the ball is hit and be forward of your hands. That doesn't mean your wrists have broken down but it does mean that you haven't shoved your hands and arms forward.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Thu May 02, 2013 6:41 am

FamousDavis wrote:

I know exactly what kind of funk you are in because I've been there myself. I'll try to explain the sensation you should feel when hitting putts as best I can and how to get out of what you have been describing to us.

One of the worst ruts you can get into is when you have completely forgotten what a proper putting stroke is supposed to feel and look like. The worst habit we get into is when we start pushing our putts toward the hole. Another term for this is "willing" them to go in.

There have been times when I've been on the practice green and have literally made almost everything I looked at. It felt so easy. Even 20 footers seemed makeable 3 out of 4 times.

When I have felt this way, it's always because I'm swinging the putter. I'm not pushing it toward the ball. I'm swinging it. Granted, it's a short swing but there is no doubt that the head is swinging down toward the ball and then hitting it, rather than pushing it.

In order to do this, you cannot have a deathgrip on the putter. At the same time, it's not necessary to have an extremely light grip. The sensation you feel should be very slight but it's there - that you are feeling the head of the putter release when it hits the ball. It's as if you can feel the weight of the putter head hitting the ball, rather than pushing at it. The putter head should always release just before impact and just after, almost like it's on a pendulum.

The best putters in the world do this and the ones who do it have courage. Tiger is the very best at putting this way. Watch him putt. He never pushes at the ball and leaves them short on the amateur side like an Ernie Els, Sergio Garcia or Lee Westwood. Instead, his putts bounce off the putter on a true roll toward the hole. It takes courage to putt like that because you are letting go. You aren't trying to control the ball. You put your best stroke on it and the rest is not up to you.

Do this - hold the putter lightly and hit a few putts by just letting the weight of the putter guide it back to the ball. You may need to bring it further back in the backswing to do this but you'll start understanding the sensation of how a putt should feel when you hit the ball. The putter head should release after the ball is hit and be forward of your hands. That doesn't mean your wrists have broken down but it does mean that you haven't shoved your hands and arms forward.
    I think you are talking about not steering the putter, which is correct. A good drill to get out of the steering habit and learning to stroke the ball again is the one handed drill Try putting using only your right hand, for right handers. Using one hand you have to grip lightly and swing the putter with a full release. Even when Im playing an d using both hands I try to get the feeling that the right hand is controlling the stroke and the left hand is merely joined and is there for the ride. You need the left hand to tighten the accuracy, but the right hand needs to be doing most of the work to get that pure roll of a nicely struck putt.
    Horseballs
    Horseballs

Post  Horseballs Thu May 02, 2013 8:13 am

I had a jumbo Winn putter grip for a couple months. I really didn't like it. I've got a 2000's Bernhard Langer grip going on where I grip my right forearm with my left hand. The jumbo made it tough to use that grip and I haven't found anything that works any better. I remember having a great stretch of putting a couple years ago where I putted with an open stance, like Nicklaus. It worked for about 3 weeks, then went to shit. Maybe I'll try that out a little bit, if for nothing else than to give it a new look.
    Player
    Player

Post  Player Thu May 02, 2013 6:05 pm

Horseballs wrote:I had a jumbo Winn putter grip for a couple months. I really didn't like it. I've got a 2000's Bernhard Langer grip going on where I grip my right forearm with my left hand. The jumbo made it tough to use that grip and I haven't found anything that works any better. I remember having a great stretch of putting a couple years ago where I putted with an open stance, like Nicklaus. It worked for about 3 weeks, then went to shit. Maybe I'll try that out a little bit, if for nothing else than to give it a new look.
    I putt open and find it makes it easier to get a free flowing stroke. Trevino had a wide open stance and from recollection Norman at his best was open and maybe lefty. The important thing is to remember to keep your shoulders square and not aligned with your feet.
    Kiwigolfer
    Kiwigolfer

Post  Kiwigolfer Fri May 03, 2013 2:07 am

Player wrote:
    FamousDavis wrote:

I think you are talking about not steering the putter, which is correct. A good drill to get out of the steering habit and learning to stroke the ball again is the one handed drill Try putting using only your right hand, for right handers. Using one hand you have to grip lightly and swing the putter with a full release. Even when Im playing an d using both hands I try to get the feeling that the right hand is controlling the stroke and the left hand is merely joined and is there for the ride. You need the left hand to tighten the accuracy, but the right hand needs to be doing most of the work to get that pure roll of a nicely struck putt.

I find this interesting advice coming from a guy that advocates the LHL putting grip. I would have thought the LHL grip effectively takes the right hand out of the stroke therefore preventing a wristy stroke that can lead to pushed/pulled putts or worse yet the yips. LHL in my experience is great for putting a nice pure roll on the ball on short to medium length putts but I was never confident on longer lagg putts. Couldn't seem to get the speed right consistently.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:19 am